CAMP REPORT Camp report DAY 1: Wed July 28

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Against OBo Noteboom is more chill & not threatened at all. There is no pressure & OBO hardly ever puts pressure on a QB. My hope is Justin Hollins steps up another level & become that player off the edge.

#52 T.Lewis needs to get Reps from there as well ? I guess that is why OBO should feel pressured of making the team. Can he play special teams.
It's one practice and it's a practice without pads. So that's going to favor the OL.

Re: Hollins I like the fact he can stay healthy and he's really good when he drops in coverage. But like most of these guys he's more a strong side type. He just doesn't have juice off the edge like you'd want with a blindside rusher.

Obo doesn't either. But he has a little more rush ability, a nice spin move and tends to get more heat in limited snaps. So that's why I hope he steps up this year.

Lewis has all the talent in the world. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much for a guy who has continuously shown he can't stay healthy. Sure would be nice though.

This is also why I am hoping to hear something good about Garrett as we go forward. It's early. We have a new DC who is going to be moving guys around and getting good looks at everyone. And we also have to wait for pads. Garrett's a longshot but he's relentless on film and I'd sure like to see if that can play for us after he settles in for a year or so.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's one practice and it's a practice without pads. So that's going to favor the OL.

Re: Hollins I like the fact he can stay healthy and he's really good when he drops in coverage. But like most of these guys he's more a strong side type. He just doesn't have juice off the edge like you'd want with a blindside rusher.

Obo doesn't either. But he has a little more rush ability, a nice spin move and tends to get more heat in limited snaps. So that's why I hope he steps up this year.

Lewis has all the talent in the world. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much for a guy who has continuously shown he can't stay healthy. Sure would be nice though.

This is also why I am hoping to hear something good about Garrett as we go forward. It's early. We have a new DC who is going to be moving guys around and getting good looks at everyone. And we also have to wait for pads. Garrett's a longshot but he's relentless on film and I'd sure like to see if that can play for us after he settles in for a year or so.

True-
By the time preseason it could be totally different. Will be see how it all plays out.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Really appreciate all the time and effort on these write ups. This shit is gold for us that can't attend. Hoping to make it out one day this camp but all the details from you guys is great.

Very excited to hear about Burgess, the WR corp, and Staffy of course.

oldnotdead

Legend
These reports seem to highlight the issue with Okoronkwo. Last year he was a one trick pony and his sacks were coverage sacks set up by AD and Floyd. He was weak at the POA on outside runs as well. Apparently, all that body building hasn't improved his play. He's never going to overpower someone. He's too slow to threaten the outside with speed. Once he's blocked he rarely can shed to make the play.

Hollins is being developed into a complete OLB (JACK) in the same mold as Floyd which is being more than a simple pass rusher like Fowler. He's going to be asked to drop into coverage when an ILB then rushes, and to be stout at the POA (something he was last year),

Tutu will always be in rotation with Jefferson until Woods retires. I see Jefferson as Woods eventual replacement at which point Tutu should come into his own as the Ram's Jackson.

From Funks game vids in college I could easily see the traits the Rams drafted him for. It wasn't idle speculation about Funk being #2RB and the offense not changing when he's in. The only reason I see Calais in the mix as #2 in rotation is because of his speed and having been in the NFL a year longer giving him a chance to develop physically and technique wise. Either way I like them both.

When you watch video of Jones in his college games, you could see how he was hot and cold, i.e. mentally. IMO that is not something you want at this level. He would take plays off and get sloppy, i.e. looking indecisive. His lack of speed is very apparent at times.

Anderson is more quick than long speed fast. He's fast enough, but it's his quickness to make that first tackle miss which is why they are going to look at him as a PR. If he nails that down, he bumps Jones off the roster.

I'm glad they have Evans at RG as he's better in run blocking than Edwards. I hope Edwards has learned to play low as an OG and not so upright as he did as an OT. But with Brewer behind him I'm not concerned. Personally I think Shelton would make a better OG than Edwards.

It will be interesting to see if Alaric Jackson OT makes the roster. IMO that would bump Anchrum off the roster. Jackson has the tools to be a good OT he's just so raw. If he goes to the PS I expect him to be among the protected players. He was signed as a contingency because of all the OL FA next year.

I also think Kenny Young is going to feel pressure from Howard, Ernest Brown, Moncrief and Rozeboom. I have a feeling the final depth chart might end up like MIKE, Reeder& Rozeboo and MO, Brown & Moncrief. Since the MO is pulled to bring in the nickel DB it's a part time position. That said I think the Rams are tired of litany of injuries of Howard and Kiser. If the young guys can show up as expected then I see these guys gone although this year the expanded PS can include veteran players.

If the Rams are serious about upgrading their roster then marginal players like SJD, Howard, Kiser, Okoronkwo and Young don't make the cut. There are two reasons I include SJD on that list. Robinson has re-dedicated himself to his game and has come in lighter, quicker and stronger. With B. Brown and Gaines on the roster SJD would seem to be the odd man out. I think the drafting of B. Brown was a wakeup call to Robinson, who can be a standout NT. I have liked the Robinson acquisition since it was made.

This can be a totally different (improved) team than that took the field last year. People make too much of the defense perhaps not repeating as the number 1 unit. But as long as they are a top 5 unit that is good enough. More importantly, it's clear that McVay and Snead took steps to shore up a glaring weakness in that defense. That defense gave up too much early down yardage to runs. That was a product of both Staley's scheme (play run on the way to the QB) and players they had. Also, they saw what happened when AD is not on the field.

IMO they have taken all this to heart and drafted E. Brown, B. Brown to give them that strength at the POA along the LOS that was lacking. Also, I would be surprised if they didn't take a long hard look at Hoecht as AD's backup and rotational guy. I was serious when I said that if you look at Michael's test numbers compared to AD's as a rookie, they have striking similarities. Both of them bring exceptional speed and quickness to the position. AD times at 4.67 and Michael at 4.62. Both have an explosive first step and play with exceptional power. I can see them playing Hoecht on first downs with both Browns to stop those early down runs. Rotating them out for their passing sub package of AD, Robinson and the nickel DB. This will keep both fresh during a long season.

If they can improve that aspect of the defense, i.e. limiting early down run yardage, it will be a game changer. I don't see their pass defense suffering should teams try to throw against that package. Hoecht can get penetration from 3T and they still would have speed off the edges with Floyd and Hollins. What I'm saying is that this roster will give the Ram's more options than last year on both sides of the ball.

It also sounds like Rochell could very well have a breakout year next season and isn't the completely raw rookie pre-supposed. He can play man and zone equally well IMO which is very Ramsey like and unusual. I think by the end of the year he will be that 3rd CB on the field in their nickel package.

Damn all these great reports have got me all fired up. I told my GF to start getting the birria tacos and Modelo ready cuz the season is right around the corner!

dang

Legend
These reports seem to highlight the issue with Okoronkwo. Last year he was a one trick pony and his sacks were coverage sacks set up by AD and Floyd. He was weak at the POA on outside runs as well. Apparently, all that body building hasn't improved his play. He's never going to overpower someone. He's too slow to threaten the outside with speed. Once he's blocked he rarely can shed to make the play.

Hollins is being developed into a complete OLB (JACK) in the same mold as Floyd which is being more than a simple pass rusher like Fowler. He's going to be asked to drop into coverage when an ILB then rushes, and to be stout at the POA (something he was last year),

Tutu will always be in rotation with Jefferson until Woods retires. I see Jefferson as Woods eventual replacement at which point Tutu should come into his own as the Ram's Jackson.

From Funks game vids in college I could easily see the traits the Rams drafted him for. It wasn't idle speculation about Funk being #2RB and the offense not changing when he's in. The only reason I see Calais in the mix as #2 in rotation is because of his speed and having been in the NFL a year longer giving him a chance to develop physically and technique wise. Either way I like them both.

When you watch video of Jones in his college games, you could see how he was hot and cold, i.e. mentally. IMO that is not something you want at this level. He would take plays off and get sloppy, i.e. looking indecisive. His lack of speed is very apparent at times.

Anderson is more quick than long speed fast. He's fast enough, but it's his quickness to make that first tackle miss which is why they are going to look at him as a PR. If he nails that down, he bumps Jones off the roster.

I'm glad they have Evans at RG as he's better in run blocking than Edwards. I hope Edwards has learned to play low as an OG and not so upright as he did as an OT. But with Brewer behind him I'm not concerned. Personally I think Shelton would make a better OG than Edwards.

It will be interesting to see if Alaric Jackson OT makes the roster. IMO that would bump Anchrum off the roster. Jackson has the tools to be a good OT he's just so raw. If he goes to the PS I expect him to be among the protected players. He was signed as a contingency because of all the OL FA next year.

I also think Kenny Young is going to feel pressure from Howard, Ernest Brown, Moncrief and Rozeboom. I have a feeling the final depth chart might end up like MIKE, Reeder& Rozeboo and MO, Brown & Moncrief. Since the MO is pulled to bring in the nickel DB it's a part time position. That said I think the Rams are tired of litany of injuries of Howard and Kiser. If the young guys can show up as expected then I see these guys gone although this year the expanded PS can include veteran players.

If the Rams are serious about upgrading their roster then marginal players like SJD, Howard, Kiser, Okoronkwo and Young don't make the cut. There are two reasons I include SJD on that list. Robinson has re-dedicated himself to his game and has come in lighter, quicker and stronger. With B. Brown and Gaines on the roster SJD would seem to be the odd man out. I think the drafting of B. Brown was a wakeup call to Robinson, who can be a standout NT. I have liked the Robinson acquisition since it was made.

This can be a totally different (improved) team than that took the field last year. People make too much of the defense perhaps not repeating as the number 1 unit. But as long as they are a top 5 unit that is good enough. More importantly, it's clear that McVay and Snead took steps to shore up a glaring weakness in that defense. That defense gave up too much early down yardage to runs. That was a product of both Staley's scheme (play run on the way to the QB) and players they had. Also, they saw what happened when AD is not on the field.

IMO they have taken all this to heart and drafted E. Brown, B. Brown to give them that strength at the POA along the LOS that was lacking. Also, I would be surprised if they didn't take a long hard look at Hoecht as AD's backup and rotational guy. I was serious when I said that if you look at Michael's test numbers compared to AD's as a rookie, they have striking similarities. Both of them bring exceptional speed and quickness to the position. AD times at 4.67 and Michael at 4.62. Both have an explosive first step and play with exceptional power. I can see them playing Hoecht on first downs with both Browns to stop those early down runs. Rotating them out for their passing sub package of AD, Robinson and the nickel DB. This will keep both fresh during a long season.

If they can improve that aspect of the defense, i.e. limiting early down run yardage, it will be a game changer. I don't see their pass defense suffering should teams try to throw against that package. Hoecht can get penetration from 3T and they still would have speed off the edges with Floyd and Hollins. What I'm saying is that this roster will give the Ram's more options than last year on both sides of the ball.

It also sounds like Rochell could very well have a breakout year next season and isn't the completely raw rookie pre-supposed. He can play man and zone equally well IMO which is very Ramsey like and unusual. I think by the end of the year he will be that 3rd CB on the field in their nickel package.

Damn all these great reports have got me all fired up. I told my GF to start getting the birria tacos and Modelo ready cuz the season is right around the corner!
So in 500 words or less are you warming up to Havenstein? Or are you still looking to trade him for a 7th round compensation draft pick?

oldnotdead

Legend
No Rob is IMO the weak link in the OL. This is a guy that was owned by Seattle's Dunlap and has to face him at least twice this year. Havenstein is over rated and over paid. Whit has lost a step but is still heads above Rob on the right. Havenstein cannot handle a rusher who has combined speed and power. He never has and never will and that's in every DC's book on Havenstein.

It's why on passing downs it's imperative to get a TE chip. But that's why Rob faces so many rushers who bait him one way then bend around him on the opposite side. It makes it hard for the TE to help Rob. Rob came in as a rookie with slow feet and that hasn't improved with age to be sure.

I only hope one of his matador blocks don't get Stafford hurt. IMO they should play Noteboom or Brewer at RT this year. Rob is gone next year anyway. He's eating up too much cap.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You are mistaken So Ram. Harris did not participate in 11 on 11. He was suited up but just worked with trainer on the sidelines. there is another player wearing 45, don't know who he is though.

Lewis was a full go and took a lot of snaps with D two's. he looked quick and doesn't seem to be having any issues. Will keep and eye on both again today.

Maybe I was all over the map.Don’t think I said he suited up. I believe I was saying he was talking to 45 & that he was the guy making the catches.

Today Indaw Harris running routes for Hekker.

yesterday

1627617363077.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Poor photo of Harris & Johnny.They we’re working on his routes.

Attachments

• 1627617733795.png
    1627617733795.png
    303.3 KB · Views: 42

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You are mistaken So Ram. Harris did not participate in 11 on 11. He was suited up but just worked with trainer on the sidelines. there is another player wearing 45, don't know who he is though.

Lewis was a full go and took a lot of snaps with D two's. he looked quick and doesn't seem to be having any issues. Will keep and eye on both again today.
Don’t know where I said that ?
This is from a post that saying he was suited up.Someone was questioning him being on the PUP ? I guess I did ask you about Funk,Skow & Harris playing special teams. My question was more about Skow being there & Harris needs to be there at some point ? — I’ll answer my own question though with Harris. He was not involved in special teams drills that I saw.I did not notice Ben Skow??
There was a big group of players doing a fumbling drill. So noticed the RB’s(DB’s)practicing there scoop after a strip ?? Got there late though.
———————————————————
arris is suited up. Just saying

this new guy #45 I can’t stop talking about though.He had 3 catches I believe in 11 on 11 ,or just offense vs. defense. They were basically out let or drop of type passes though. I posted a photo of Harris talking to him.

Harris if you look at his first day interview you can see how Smart he is.He has not played that long really in Football years.Was a soccer guy.He talks about 2 TE’s he watched play in the NFL.I just think he is like a sponge & is always working on both physical and mental part of The Game.I also saw a photo of him doing a Plank.So his core body is strong.I think Reggie is just being careful.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Harris had a "muscle core proceedure" 2 weeks ago and is expected to be out 2-3 weks.
Thanks for the response & your reporting.Seems like yesterday was a long evening in traffic.I think I’m done until the last 2 ??

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
this new guy #45 I can’t stop talking about though.He had 3 catches I believe in 11 on 11 ,or just offense vs. defense. They were basically out let or drop of type passes though. I posted a photo of Harris talking to him.
I think that may be Kyle Markway. He was signed right before camp. The rams site only lists Obo as #45 and Markway doesn't have an assigned number yet.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
HENDO has power vs Jones who barley got touched & went down.
He might have moved once free.

View attachment 46839

Have to correct my reviews from day 1 to Day 2. They did have a sheet this year & hate going off the phone.
The Rams have had a couple number changes.

Start by stAting The Obvious.This is Raymond Calais & he is only 190 lbs.

Jones is number 25 & I have not really noticed him. Which means my opinion is totally different on him.
At 5’11 208 he is bigger than Funk.
My question is why is Jones not flashing at all ? In fact I was right by the RB group & only photo’s I took?

Ottis Anderson is only 5’11 174.

Jake Funk has been getting a lot of Reps.Funk is getting tight with the DB’s Jalen RAMsey is always swiping at the ball.Funk always finishes his runs,even by just walking it out.

Hendo 5’8 208 has that extra kick & burst.He looks bigger than that though from his hind side.

Akers 5’10 217 is going to be missed
more than Mcvay wants say.IMO The Rams need a bigger RB ?…..

Jones Is a player Les Snead talked highly about & he will have beat out Raymond Calais. The preseason is going to tell us a lot right away.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think that may be Kyle Markway. He was signed right before camp. The rams site only lists Obo as #45 and Markway doesn't have an assigned number yet.

Shovel - your absolutely right. He was at practice with his Jersey cut(rolled up) showing off his arms.

Day 2 he went unnoticed during live action.A lot more WR sets. Mcvay is lining the TE’s out wide a lot more.
Mundt & Higbee.
There also is a lot more 4 wr’s lineups as well.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
#45 is Markway, he is wearing an offensive jersey (blue), defense #45 is Obo (bone)

Another misconception some have here is Evans playing RG. not so, Evans has been the starter at RG since the beginning of TC, and Edwards has been the LG.. I have not seen the starting OL make one substitution. Those 5 have taken all the snaps in TC. Evans and Edwards have NOT been switching.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
times 10
thanks so much
train
Not knowing what your looking for Train ? In 2 days The Player that stands out the most to me as far as
making a name with O’Connell(Mcvay) is Ben Skow—

They went back at it twice basically in a row. The first take is 53 Lawler on 1st. Team D” Reps. The separation is impressive for Skow,but not for Lawler.

1627659022102.png