Cam Akers injury, rehab & return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Damn, Akers was gonna crush it this year, too.

A big part of me feels really bad for Akers because this will be a hard year not to play. This team is going to make noise.

The other part of me can see this as opportunity for someone else to shine. And… we might look back on this moment that way.

I was hoping this thread was a bad dream when I woke up. It’s still here.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

18075343.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only bad part of waiting for cut downs is that gives our new RB less time to learn the offense.
You remember how much time CJ Anderson had to get familiar?
RB is probably the easiest transition position for a vet player

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You remember how much time CJ Anderson had to get familiar?
RB is probably the easiest transition position for a vet player
Seriously, CJ probably had the most immediate impact by a new RB when it ws most needed. I'll never forget him for wht he did in the short time he was here, but I don't know if we can rightly expect the same from another veteran like that.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Seriously, CJ probably had the most immediate impact by a new RB when it ws most needed. I'll never forget him for wht he did in the short time he was here, but I don't know if we can rightly expect the same from another veteran like that.
Totally agree about that. Hopefully whoever we do get picks up our offense rather quickly. My guess is we'll also need that RB to be serviceable as a pass blocker as well. That's where I worry if the RB knows the offense as a missed RB blocking assignment on a pass play can get a QB crushed. Crazy to have to worry about this position so much because of injuries.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL. So we got that going for us huh?
Appreciate that bro I needed a good laugh. :giggle: :beer2::fistbump1::helmet:
Not understanding why it's humorous, Akers will rebound from this like many other pro athletes have. It sucks he's lost for this season, and that's bad enough. Dont need to extrapolate to such an extreme level.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not talking about duplicating success, talking about the ease of an RB to have familiarity.
They dont need a pre-season and TC to be familiar. If its a late cut guy, well, he'll be in game shape, and that's enough.
For a vet player, they dont need to learn how to block, they'll only come on board if they do.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not talking about duplicating success, talking about the ease of an RB to have familiarity.
They dont need a pre-season and TC to be familiar. If its a late cut guy, well, he'll be in game shape, and that's enough.
For a vet player, they dont need to learn how to block, they'll only come on board if they do.
That makes sense. No vet RB we get would be unable to block...

dang

Legend
The salt in the wound is this will be the #1 topic when discussing the Rams offense every day UNTIL a proven replacement for Akers is found. I don’t think it’s Henderson. He already has his role and expanding it will likely wear him down prematurely. So it’s either someone on the roster or it’s a vet that will be brought in.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Was really looking forward to seeing Akers this year and this injury is a gut-punch. That being said, he and Hendo have shown so far that they are injury prone. The Rams need a solid back that doesn't miss a whole lot of games like the past few years with Gurley, Akers, and Hendo. All 3 are now known to get injured often. Remember when Gurley was healthy? Rams offense was a juggernaut. A solid RB without getting constantly dinged by injuries is what the Rams need. I would look past Akers and find a solid starter. If Akers can come back to form then that's great. But to just rely on that, and I love Akers, would be a bad move. Need to find that solid injury-free RB if he's either on the roster or out there without a team for this year and beyond. Right now, Akers is injury prone sad to say. If, and only if, he comes back and puts his injuries behind him I'm willing to say he's the future RB the Rams can depend on. But I can't right now. Need to find that future solid RB sometime in the next few months.

And NO, unlike what the sensational speculative news is saying, I do NOT want Gurley back and the Rams will NOT pick him up.

Psycho_X

Legend
Wish Akers well but I wasn’t too high on him anyway I always felt the future of the position was Xavier Jones. Hate that it comes after a injury But Jones is gonna surprise a lot of people.

I'll enjoy seeing what Jones has this year. Watching his highlight reels a few things pop out to me in no particular order.

- He's kinda slow... not lumbering slow but he's going to get run down in the NFL pretty handily.
- A majority of his highlight reel has him running to the right side so not sure if SMU had a really good RG/RT as I know nothing about them but that seemed to be his bread and butter but maybe it was just coincidence of the videos i watched.
- Enough with the negatives, he might not have top end speed but he accelerates to his top speed almost instantly and makes his mind up quickly about what he's going to do.
- Which feeds into him being a really good one cut and go back which he showed often in his highlights. That's really all this offense needs is a RB who can make that cut and go decisively... it's what Gurley excelled at when he could still cut.
- He follows blocks very well and also sets up opposing players well with his shiftiness and good feet.
- seemed to be involved in a handful of trick plays throwing the ball as a RB and some times in wildcat plays. There was talk of Akers maybe doing that this year so maybe Jones can slide into that role if that was true.

Overall, seems serviceable at least. Pass blocking is the key to him staying on the field more than a handful of plays though. Hopefully he's up to that task. He's probably not going to break many huge 10+ runs with his speed in the NFL but he seems to have the perfect combo of feet, decisiveness, and acceleration to be effective in this offense.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'll enjoy seeing what Jones has this year. Watching his highlight reels a few things pop out to me in no particular order.

Overall, seems serviceable at least. Pass blocking is the key to him staying on the field more than a handful of plays though. Hopefully he's up to that task. He's probably not going to break many huge 10+ runs with his speed in the NFL but he seems to have the perfect combo of feet, decisiveness, and acceleration to be effective in this offense.

Serviceable? He broke Dickerson's TD record in college. . . .

Psycho_X

Legend
Serviceable? He broke Dickerson's TD record in college. . . .

Ok? I did say "serviceable AT LEAST" but I really couldn't care less about what school record he broke in the AAC. It's nice that he had college success but it doesn't mean anything if he can't pick up blitz responsibilities. After having 0 offensive snaps his rookie year he can only improve.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Color me relaxed about this today.

Here’s a few reasons why…

Rams have lots of time so there’s no rush at all.

I think Rams now have a pretty damned good run blocking OL now, one that will help any RB that they prefer.

Rams seem pretty happy with their RB room even without Akers.

RB’s are relatively easy to acquire compared to the other position groups.

Snead’s acquisition of CJ Anderson in ‘18 convinced me that this can be done again by this FO.

I’d bet a lot that the Rams already had a shopping list of RB’s with analytics that they liked already prepared.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Color me relaxed about this today.

Here’s a few reasons why…

Rams have lots of time so there’s no rush at all.

I think Rams now have a pretty damned good run blocking OL now, one that will help any RB that they prefer.

Rams seem pretty happy with their RB room even without Akers.

RB’s are relatively easy to acquire compared to the other position groups.

Snead’s acquisition of CJ Anderson in ‘18 convinced me that this can be done again by this FO.

I’d bet a lot that the Rams already had a shopping list of RB’s with analytics that they liked already prepared.

I don’t know what will happen.Malcom Brown was solid RB as well.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Ok? I did say "serviceable AT LEAST" but I really couldn't care less about what school record he broke in the AAC. It's nice that he had college success but it doesn't mean anything if he can't pick up blitz responsibilities. After having 0 offensive snaps his rookie year he can only improve.

College success and dominating in college are two different levels. I say give the guy a shot in training camp and see what happens.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Not understanding why it's humorous, Akers will rebound from this like many other pro athletes have. It sucks he's lost for this season, and that's bad enough. Dont need to extrapolate to such an extreme level.
The humor was in what you said not the circumstances.
I said show me one back who has come back from this.
You responded 'I dont have an example of an RB who didnt come back from the injury either"

I found the response humorous and thought you were attempting to brighten the mood
on a shitty day.
My bad, I'll let you get back to your shitty mood.