Cam Akers had a monster game.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone else notice how slow he was getting up at times? I don't think he's 100%

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
He looks like the real deal, he is tougher than I thought. This kid was a steal in the second round. It is beginning to look like the Rams may have found their next great RB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Love him but concerned about his durability.
Same here. This rookie season indicates Akers does have issues in this area. Not sure I would have run him well late into the game as McVay did & not replace him with Brown but it appears at this early time he will be okay for the Packers game in the very cold icy field next week.

Just seem that both 2nd yr RB Henderson & Akers can not remain healthy @ the same time. Their high ankle sprains have caused both of them to lose a lot of time & snaps. Henderson has suffered numerous injuries during his college career but none serious. DH ended his rookie season on the IR & did a repeat again this season. DH issues this season were hamstring and ankle issues. It was Jamal Adams who took Henderson out this season & the Rams should take notice of Seahawks Jamal Adams's propensity to injure Ram players with that intent in mind.

We have not seen Xavier Jones run yet so this UDFA rookie is an unknown but his resume & running style resemble very close to that of the bigger Malcolm Brown. If the Rams were to win in Green Bay Henderson will be eligible to return for the NFC Championship game if he has recovered from Seahawks Jamal Adams's tackle deep in the endzone.

Cam Akers covers lots of ground in Rams’ playoff victory over Seattle
Cam Akers covers lot of ground in Rams' playoff victory - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
1610296193696.png

One week ago, Cam Akers said he made an “immature” mistake by trying to extend the ball over the goal line, a mishap that resulted in a fumble.In his first playoff game, he atoned for it by etching his name in the Rams’ history books.

In a 30-20 win in the NFC wild-card round against the Seattle Seahawks, the rookie running back accumulated 131 yards rushing in 28 carries and a touchdown, and added 45 yards receiving on two catches.

It’s the most yards rushing in a playoff game in coach Sean McVay’s four seasons, and Akers joins receiver Torry Holt, a Hall-of-Fame finalist, and running back Eric Dickerson, a Hall-of-Fame inductee, as the only rookies in franchise history to post 100 yards from scrimmage in a playoff game. “We’re on the sideline getting rest, and he’s running rampant,” safety John Johnson said. “For a young guy, a rookie, to come in and just do his thing, it’s just unreal.”

Akers’ performance came amid a tough and uncertain stretch for the Rams offense. All week, McVay kept the decision on his starting quarterback shrouded in secrecy, with both Jared Goff, who recently underwent thumb surgery, and John Wolford active. Regardless of who was under center, the unit played inconsistently.

The Rams had not scored an offensive touchdown since a Dec. 20 loss to the New York Jets, the game in which Akers suffered a high ankle sprain. In their next six trips to the red zone, the Rams had fumbled twice (recovering one), committed a turnover on downs and kicked four field goals.

But in the first half against Seattle, McVay leaned on Akers, and his efforts sparked the Rams. He ran hard, keeping his legs churning and often not going down on first contact. His biggest plays came in the second quarter, which set up his score. On third and nine, Goff — who replaced Wolford after he suffered a neck injury — stepped up in the pocket and threw a pass to Akers. He caught it, and turned upfield near the sideline and kept his balance on a tightrope near the boundary for a 44-yard gain. Then, Akers darted through the left side on a handoff for 20 yards. On the next play, he walked into the end zone untouched for a five-yard touchdown. He finished the first half with 142 yards from scrimmage, a Rams rookie record.
Rams running back Cam Akers dives for extra yardage during the first half Jan. 9, 2021, in Seattle.

“He’s tough,” McVay said. “I thought he was really getting into a rhythm early on in the game and it was big. We were able to control the time of possession, able to just eat up yards a little bit at a time, and he’s a special player.

Since releasing Todd Gurley in the offseason, McVay featured a running-back-by-committee approach, using Akers, second-year pro Darrell Henderson and veteran Malcolm Brown. But slowly Akers, a second-round pick in the draft last April, rose to the leading role, breaking off difference-making plays against Washington, the San Francisco 49ers, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. His true moment in the spotlight came on national television in December, when he rushed for 171 yards in a Thursday night win against the New England Patriots.

“That was really where he had his coming-out party,” Goff said. “But we’ve seen it progress all year. It’s been exciting for me to see — as a guy who has been here for a handful of years — and see a rookie’s trajectory grow and seeing the player he can become. It’s only the beginning for him.”

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth, in his first game back from a knee injury he suffered against the Seahawks in November, also said he’s enjoyed seeing Akers’ development, and the Rams will need him to continue his ascent in the playoffs.

“You’re watching a guy grow up and learn how to play NFL football,” Whitworth said. “He’s a guy that has all the ability, all the talent and most importantly, the right stuff in his chest. He’s made of the right junk. His heart, his passion for the game is incredible. “There’s nothing he needs to recreate. He just needs to be him and I got to help him be the best version of himself every week in anyway I can.”

Last edited:

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
The Oline loves blocking for him. Unlike most backs he finds the seam and goes.

tempests

Hall of Fame
The weird thing is I don't remember that many rushing yards, I must have missed some big runs. I was stunned when i saw the final numbers. I remember the big catch and run but don't at all remember him running for 131.

5 yards there, 7 there, 3, 3, 6, 8, etc. He gained positive yards on 25 of his 28 runs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I want you to know that I'm responsible for Cam's big game....Last week I texted a fellow Ram compadre and the Text Read: "Looks like we should have drafted Dobbins over Akers, he's much more explosive." My Good friend's response was "I like Cam and how he sets up the blocks." My good friend "Jeremy" wins on this exchange.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I said it before his last 2 monster games. He has some Emmitt Smith in him. They are close to the same size and skill set.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
The weird thing is I don't remember that many rushing yards, I must have missed some big runs. I was stunned when i saw the final numbers. I remember the big catch and run but don't at all remember him running for 131.
I feel the same exact way. Just so consistent in picking up yards.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I just admit, I have a man crush on Akers.

The dude is the future.

Rams77

Starter
Freakin Great Draft Pick by McVay and Snead!! Might be the best pick we’ve had the past 3 or 4 seasons

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Same here. This rookie season indicates Akers does have issues in this area. Not sure I would have run him well late into the game as McVay did & not replace him with Brown but it appears at this early time he will be okay for the Packers game in the very cold icy field next week.
This is exactly what transpired.
?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is exactly what transpired.?
To clarify.

Yes your right, Brown did come in late to permanently relieve Akers but It was my thought that Brown could have gotten a bit more work a few series earlier so that Akers would not have been so worn down. That's all.

My concern is to keep our main offensive weapon fresh & uninjured as much as possible the game was no longer in doubt & Akers was still playing. Akers has been hurt & has missed a number of games.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
5 yards there, 7 there, 3, 3, 6, 8, etc. He gained positive yards on 25 of his 28 runs.
Yep. And the occasional 15-18 yard burst. What I like the best about him is that he always seems to be falling forward, and / or pushing the pile. It gets the linemen all jacked up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm worried that his legs aren't that fresh. He took himself out of the game. I wish we had Henderson. I like the rbs by committee, but would prefer they had someone with a little more size and durability in the mix. I know Brown is supposed to be that guy but I think this is his first injury free season.
He does run to contact and takes some serious hits. But the good thing is he wasn't featured heavily due to being dinged up this year which might help him out there over the next few games assuming we can survive them.

They fed him in college and he played through dings while avoiding major injury. So I'm not too worried about the injuries so far. The only thing that worries me about Akers is that we need him. If he does get hurt our playoff run is over. His presence in the lineup changes our offense. So I hope he can stay healthy and I am with you on that concern.

Btw what's the deal with Hendy I forget. Is he done for the year or is there a chance we can get him back.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Since releasing Todd Gurley in the offseason, McVay featured a running-back-by-committee approach, using Akers, second-year pro Darrell Henderson and veteran Malcolm Brown. But slowly Akers, a second-round pick in the draft last April, rose to the leading role, breaking off difference-making plays against Washington, the San Francisco 49ers, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. His true moment in the spotlight came on national television in December, when he rushed for 171 yards in a Thursday night win against the New England Patriots.
It's funny isn't it, that the Rams' two most complete games this season have both been behind Akers having big days. When that kid goes off all of a sudden the Rams look like a juggernaut.

Vapor

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Vapor
I am also pretty drunk (jd and Basil & Hayden's whiskey) but that dude is a bad mother fucker. I'm glad I don't remember that many rushing yards. It means consistency rather than big hits and misses.

Right there with ya. shot for shot///