Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't understand how draft media ranks Murphy II over Newton who plays far more snaps and has less help.
That Michigan film posted above of Newton doesn't impress me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Isn't Newton hurt right now? That might be the lone reason.
They're both similar to me. Squatty and if you lose them for a second they penetrate into the backfield. Both good enough at anchoring in vs the run. I think Newton probably sheds blocks better but I bet they're pretty close in grades.

Fiske is bigger. He anchors in better and is likely to be a better pro than either of those two. Small is fine if you're explosive but after spending some time on them I don't think either are explosive enough to be more than a solid 3T. Fiske should be able to play any spot.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't understand how draft media ranks Murphy II over Newton who plays far more snaps and has less help.
I'm guessing his more snaps metric is more about Illinois not having any talent behind or around him. He was needed. Murphy probably had a 4-5 star guy spelling him. They are both pretty good and worthy of 1st round picks. I just think Murphy is the more well rounded of the 2. He's got power and finesse moves and with half the snaps of Newton, he had similar production.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

You're not. I like Newton more than Murphy myself. Murphy gets a lot of single looks because of T'Vondre Sweat taking on two guys.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
They're both similar to me. Squatty and if you lose them for a second they penetrate into the backfield. Both good enough at anchoring in vs the run. I think Newton probably sheds blocks better but I bet they're pretty close in grades.

Fiske is bigger. He anchors in better and is likely to be a better pro than either of those two. Small is fine if you're explosive but after spending some time on them I don't think either are explosive enough to be more than a solid 3T. Fiske should be able to play any spot.
I love me some Fiske, but he's also not the biggest guy. Yeah, he's taller. If there is anyway to get him with our 2nd, I'd be over the moon.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Yeah, I like Fiske. Was thinking at one point 52 could get him, but obviously he is rising higher than that.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Forgot about Ruke Orhorhoro (Clemson). Definitely another option in the second round. Reminds a lot of people - including me - of Justin Madubuike.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
I love me some Fiske, but he's also not the biggest guy. Yeah, he's taller. If there is anyway to get him with our 2nd, I'd be over the moon.
Yeah, I hear you but not happening. Almost assuredly a first rounder.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I like murphy
.. but I like the guy who lined up next to him too.. Tvandre Sweat

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
At first blush, I'm not as high on Murphy as others.

He's on the deck WAY too much. That bothers me the most. He doesn't violently attack double teams like AD or Turner, which also I'm not too keen on.

If he gets stood up, he stops.

We have a history of Great DL and he doesn't seem like a Ram to me.

And yes, today may be biasing me a bit.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I like murphy
.. but I like the guy who lined up next to him too.. Tvandre Sweat
Yes! I would say don't try to replace Donald. You play a 3-4 go get the best Nose Tackle ( T Sweat) and then the best Edge rusher, and later get another rotational DE like Gabe Hall in the middle rounds.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I wouldn't want anything to do from him. He's more of a 4-3 DE, and disappeared the last 8 weeks.
Original post was about T'vondre Sweat, the NT from Texas ....@spider2yb got the players mixed up

methomas50

Rookie
Murphy and Newton now become major possibilities at 19. We also literally have nobody at edge either. I'd go BPA of an edge or DT with almost no chance of going CB now.
Newton had a nice year on one foot. Like him a lot.

MachS

Hall of Fame
WR was a nice pipedream while it lasted. Would love Murphy at 19 if he's there. It's either that or Edge now 100% IMO.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
dumb question of the day. do the Rams have the capability to go 3-4 ?? get a big run stopper in the middle and look more towards coverage sacks from the secondary, etc. which would explain the upgrading of the secondary (which was needed regardless.)
i'm asking, so no one else has to look silly. I also plead the 13th (excessive amounts of medication due to my 5th consecutive year of getting crushed by covid.) i doubt it , because very rarely have I noticed anyone on the board talking up the LB corps of the Rams and obviously a 3-4 alignment needs good LB's (and edge rushers). maybe Clowney is now in play for his running defense moreso than his pass rushing --- which he can still provide.