Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The more I watch Sweat he might be the perfect fit. Teamed with undersized guys like Turner & Johnson, Sweat makes a lot of sense. Plus, Bobby Brown hadn't been the most reliable in terms of staying on the field. Trade back once or twice, and you still can get him, then get another smaller DT later.
I like the idea of adding a big dude for the rotation. But we'd have to take him a bit higher than I'd prefer, at least if his slotting is remotely accurate in mocks I've seen.

Rams probably aren't gonna take a space eater up high. It would surprise me at least. And by high I mean in the first couple rounds. I think what they prefer early on are penetrators who give them threat of stuffs. So the guys like Newton and Murphy certainly fit that, though I don't see them taking either at 19.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I like the idea of adding a big dude for the rotation. But we'd have to take him a bit higher than I'd prefer, at least if his slotting is remotely accurate in mocks I've seen.

Rams probably aren't gonna take a space eater up high. It would surprise me at least. And by high I mean in the first couple rounds. I think what they prefer early on are penetrators who give them threat of stuffs. So the guys like Newton and Murphy certainly fit that, though I don't see them taking either at 19.
I saw there is also Hall from Baylor, who fits the space eater type role. He is slotted more as a 5th rounder type.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
McSnead prioritize players who love football. It doesn't seem that Sweat fits that. I hope they stay away.
That model worked really well for them last year. One reason last year's draft was so good is that they focused more on picking guys that really loved football and many were also known to be leaders with strong work ethics. Snead alluded to that in his recent interview and I think character football/love will a be a prerequisite going forward for them, especially with the premium picks.

Leading up to the drafts I used to sometimes get enamored with the elite size and measurable prospects with questionable "football character" but as a fan following the Rams for close to 50 years often many of those same players flop or end up being JAGS. Guys like Greg Robinson easily come to mind. On the flip side guys with photo-type football character like Bruce and Donald become hall of famers. Football character is an intangible that can sometimes be hard to read and great football character cannot overcome someone who does not have the athletic ability to compete at the NFL level.

muggmeister

Rookie
You’re talking about an ELITE Pass Rusher!! IMO L.Latu at 19 would be a steal.He is what The Rams need most.
Agreed, completely on the LAiatu LAtu from ucLA train. Verse and Chop Robinson are the other real possibilities but here's where things are different. Both of them are developmental edge rushers that hope one day to develop into what Latu already is. I think Latu is a 12+ sack guy right out of the gate and garnering All Pro votes by season 2.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
This phrase is alarming to me. I don't want players who are only motivated by money. I've seen a report that his weight issue is partially caused by a work ethic issue and that he loves to party.

McSnead prioritize players who love football. It doesn't seem that Sweat fits that. I hope they stay away.
I not seen that he was quoted as suggesting that, it is just a common thought of draft picks, especially those taken out of the 1st round.
Agreed, completely on the LAiatu LAtu from ucLA train. Verse and Chop Robinson are the other real possibilities but here's where things are different. Both of them are developmental edge rushers that hope one day to develop into what Latu already is. I think Latu is a 12+ sack guy right out of the gate and garnering All Pro votes by season 2.
Agree. That is why I doubt we get a shot at taking him. But, if we do, snatch him up immediately.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That model worked really well for them last year. One reason last year's draft was so good is that they focused more on picking guys that really loved football and many were also known to be leaders with strong work ethics. Snead alluded to that in his recent interview and I think character football/love will a be a prerequisite going forward for them, especially with the premium picks.

Leading up to the drafts I used to sometimes get enamored with the elite size and measurable prospects with questionable "football character" but as a fan following the Rams for close to 50 years often many of those same players flop or end up being JAGS. Guys like Greg Robinson easily come to mind. On the flip side guys with photo-type football character like Bruce and Donald become hall of famers. Football character is an intangible that can sometimes be hard to read and great football character cannot overcome someone who does not have the athletic ability to compete at the NFL level.
McVay also likes to have high football IQ players on his team Donald, Stafford, Kupp, Bobby Wagner, Eric Weddle, Whitworth, John Sullivan, Robert Woods.

Unfortunately, from a fans standpoint, the traits of have a high football IQ, leadership, character, love of football, is not information that we readily have access to.

Also, the high football IQ part is why I’m not talking Chop Robinson off the table to the Rams, especially in a trade back. Chop is an elite athlete that plays the run and pass well, plus he’s intelligent, and he was the leader of the PSU defense. He strikes me as a guy the Rams would really like.

I think Odunze fits with what the Rams look for as well, and it’s likely why McVay was talking to him. Olu Fashanu is another high character, leadership type who loves football.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I not seen that he was quoted as suggesting that, it is just a common thought of draft picks, especially those taken out of the 1st round.
I realize that all draft picks are motivated by money and I didn't think he had actually said that. My concern with him is that being his only motivation and not loving football. He has a weight issue for a reason and if that's because he has a subpar work ethic, they need to stay away.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I am not a fan of Sweat. I've heard that he's really not dedicated off the field. I fear that he'll eat himself out of the league. He's not Vita Vea. Not even close. And we'd have to take him with a late first or trade up with our second because he won't be there at #58.

No thank you. I'll just take Newton or Latu/Verse. Or, if we really want to spend a second on a DT, make it Ruke Orhorhoro.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, if he is giving teams that vibe, I'm not aware of it. But, I'm not interested in him if that's the case also.

He won't go as early as suggested if that is the case either. I'd gamble on him in the 3rd.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Well, if he is giving teams that vibe, I'm not aware of it. But, I'm not interested in him if that's the case also.

He won't go as early as suggested if that is the case either. I'd gamble on him in the 3rd.

True. I'm not denying that Sweat is immensely talented, but I don't think he's the answer when BB3 does the exact same things, and I worry about off the field dedication to maintaining his weight, that stuff. I don't think he's a Vita Vea or Haloti Ngata; those guys were big, but they were dedicated to football.

It's part of the reason I wouldn't draft Murphy over someone like Newton or Orhorhoro later either. He's dedicated, but I worry about how much he benefitted from Sweat. Sweat consistently took double teams. Murphy had a lot of easy looks, and I worry that he won't have the exact impact in the NFL.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
True. I'm not denying that Sweat is immensely talented, but I don't think he's the answer when BB3 does the exact same things, and I worry about off the field dedication to maintaining his weight, that stuff. I don't think he's a Vita Vea or Haloti Ngata; those guys were big, but they were dedicated to football.

It's part of the reason I wouldn't draft Murphy over someone like Newton or Orhorhoro later either. He's dedicated, but I worry about how much he benefitted from Sweat. Sweat consistently took double teams. Murphy had a lot of easy looks, and I worry that he won't have the exact impact in the NFL.
BB3 is on the last yr of his deal and he hasn't exactly been dependable to stay on the field.

And you don't like Murphy because you feel Sweat did so much to help him???

Yet, Turner couldn't benefit from Sweat?

1712182834225.png

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I am not a fan of Sweat. I've heard that he's really not dedicated off the field. I fear that he'll eat himself out of the league. He's not Vita Vea. Not even close. And we'd have to take him with a late first or trade up with our second because he won't be there at #58.

No thank you. I'll just take Newton or Latu/Verse. Or, if we really want to spend a second on a DT, make it Ruke Orhorhoro.
Here me out, what if teams feel the same way? I kinda thought he'd be a mid 2nd round guy.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree, he's a mid to late 2nd likely, though, if the noted concerns are true (not dedicated to football) then he should fall even further.

Memento

Name
Jemma
BB3 is on the last yr of his deal and he hasn't exactly been dependable to stay on the field.

And you don't like Murphy because you feel Sweat did so much to help him???

Yet, Turner couldn't benefit from Sweat?

View attachment 65083

That's why you draft a nose tackle later (the Texas A&M tackle, Jackson, or Gabe Hall (Baylor), or perhaps Khristian Boyd from Northern Iowa). Or you wait until next year when guys like Dontay Corleone are coming out, and you draft him in the second. Sweat has no pass-rushing potential. None. I worry that he'll be the next Haynesworth, except with better run-defending and much worse pass-rushing. Some team is going to take him and regret it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Verse is stronger than Latu,but Latu when he plants his foot is as explosive as I’ve seen at the COMBINES.

Payton Wilson would be a perfect fit for The Rams.His speed & ability to Rush the passer as well would really make The Rams defense Danergerous.Ernest Jones is really good in tight,but The Rams need that speed to go sideline to sideline. He would be a Tough Guy to Game plan against,because he has the Size & Speed to cover a TE or even a bigger WR over the middle. His tackling numbers were of the chart as well.

T.White has not signed & I’m not sure why it hasn’t been officially announced . There is a deep CB class,plus The Rams need a DT in the middle of the defense.
Bobby Brown is in contract year & The Rams could extend his contract like they will Ernest Jones.
Losing Johna,Earnest, & AD99 is going to hurt,unless they can address the D’Line well.There’s a few D’Lineman The Rams will find though.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's why you draft a nose tackle later (the Texas A&M tackle, Jackson, or Gabe Hall (Baylor), or perhaps Khristian Boyd from Northern Iowa). Or you wait until next year when guys like Dontay Corleone are coming out, and you draft him in the second. Sweat has no pass-rushing potential. None. I worry that he'll be the next Haynesworth, except with better run-defending and much worse pass-rushing. Some team is going to take him and regret it.
Going to have to respectfully disagree on that. Sweat was actually a very good pass rusher in college. At that size having a 15.3% win rate is not common. At all. 0.1% less then Newton. Much better then Fiske also, by a margin.

I think there is real risk with Sweat based on his size, but, it should not take away how seriously dominate he was last year. Even at his size, he had more snaps then many of the other top DT's: Murphy, Fiske, Orhohoro, Jenkins etc ect. Most outside of Newton who had an absurd amount of snaps.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Going to have to respectfully disagree on that. Sweat was actually a very good pass rusher in college. At that size having a 15.3% win rate is not common. At all. 0.1% less then Newton. Much better then Fiske also, by a margin.

I think there is real risk with Sweat based on his size, but, it should not take away how seriously dominate he was last year. Even at his size, he had more snaps then many of the other top DT's: Murphy, Fiske, Orhohoro, Jenkins etc ect. Most outside of Newton who had an absurd amount of snaps.
Yeah, the thing about Sweat is what will determine if he's a good prospect or not is probably beyond what we will be able to know in the pre-draft process in terms of his mental makeup.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

What worries me about guys as big as him, is that they solely rely on their size and bullying other players at the college level. Hopefully he doesn't simply rely on that in the pros because if he does he's going to be a JAG in the long run.

Memento

Name
Jemma

Sweat lacks more than a bullrush and used it and his size primarily to win. In the NFL, guards will stop it cold. He doesn't have the quick first step that you want out of a pass-rusher either. He doesn't show the hand-usage of Newton or even his teammate, Murphy.

I don't think he has much pass-rushing potential for the next level.