“But Can He Make Music?” Thoughts on Rookie Quarterbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
He was the guy that identified Mike Thomas....and I'm thrilled he's on this team.
Question on Thomas: I see the talent, but obviously the drops are frustrating. I know some of the greats (Rice, Chad Johnson, even Isaac Bruce, I believe) had dropsies issues. Do you see him overcoming these?

Speaking of the old jazzers my father who first went on the road at 14 years old, is gonna play his last gig this Thangsgiving at 85 years old.....a good run I'd say.

Awesome for your pops! I hope you are able to take the family to see him. What a great legacy.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
But people learning to play do need to learn. They need to practice. A lot.
The analogy is use with the baseball guys (baseball is basically played year round now) is what they are doing is ONLY playing gigs. There is no time to develop actual skill outside of games. That is an important part of the process. It would be like a person buying a guitar taking two lessons and trying to go play in front of a crowd at a club. Ugly.
Football is a different game. I get why he isent ready however.
The charts=the play call. It makes sense. Being able to improve of of that....different thing.
Speaking of the old jazzers my father who first went on the road at 14 years old, is gonna play his last gig this Thangsgiving at 85 years old.....a good run I'd say.

That is fantastic! 70+ years makes him a Master - please post songs in "Song of the day thread!!!!

In regards to picking up a guitar twice and going out on stage isnt what im talking about. I'm trying to think of Goff as the example, what is the musical equivalant of Goff ?

So I'm making an apples to apples comparison - like Goff today would be more akin to a kid who has been trained at Berklee College of Music instead of Cal Berkley and has had a regiment of college training and practice -- With that in mind and using the author's notion I say Goff could play immediately.

And during my bass solos back in the day, i would be able to walk the chord charts and play simple solos based on my modes and get through all right -- or shoukd i say Keenum-style :LOL: -- so by using the charts i was always on course and knew my options cause i practiced --

Now the question is, was I as good as that other cat (Goff) who was digging deep with the magic on all his solo? No, not at all and actually never, i didnt have the talent to be other than serviceable. Which is why i hung it up for rock unlike your great Father who is a master. But we both learned our fates ultimately by playing

So i think more to the point is what the conductor of the band (Fisher) has to ask himself -- do i want to keep this steady yet rather pedestrian player/musician (Keenum/myself) or bring in the young dynamo (Goff/your Father) who at first may not so steady but is a serious upgrade with the potential for greatness. What helps the band more? I say olaying the best. Clearly we know the answer cause Goff is sitting for 2016. But just cause Fisher has tsken this uncommon approach i still stringly disagree that Fisher's moves are refective of Goff's superior quality and that Goff needs to sit to develop long term

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Question on Thomas: I see the talent, but obviously the drops are frustrating. I know some of the greats (Rice, Chad Johnson, even Isaac Bruce, I believe) had dropsies issues. Do you see him overcoming these?
Of course...Just like with Goff, this guys natural talent will eventually come thru...with experience...As soon as he's just playing, and reacting....He needs reps...against pro players...His catch radius is crazy...We haven't scratched the surface of this kids talent...I've often compared him to Ike Bruce...

fearsomefour

Legend
That is fantastic! 70+ years makes him a Master - please post songs in "Song of the day thread!!!!

In regards to picking up a guitar twice and going out on stage isnt what im talking about. I'm trying to think of Goff as the example, what is the musical equivalant of Goff ?

So I'm making an apples to apples comparison - like Goff today would be more akin to a kid who has been trained at Berklee College of Music instead of Cal Berkley and has had a regiment of college training and practice -- With that in mind and using the author's notion I say Goff could play immediately.

And during my bass solos back in the day, i would be able to walk the chord charts and play simple solos based on my modes and get through all right -- or shoukd i say Keenum-style :LOL: -- so by using the charts i was always on course and knew my options cause i practiced --

Now the question is, was I as good as that other cat (Goff) who was digging deep with the magic on all his solo? No, not at all and actually never, i didnt have the talent to be other than serviceable. Which is why i hung it up for rock unlike your great Father who is a master. But we both learned our fates ultimately by playing

So i think more to the point is what the conductor of the band (Fisher) has to ask himself -- do i want to keep this steady yet rather pedestrian player/musician (Keenum/myself) or bring in the young dynamo (Goff/your Father) who at first may not so steady but is a serious upgrade with the potential for greatness. What helps the band more? I say olaying the best. Clearly we know the answer cause Goff is sitting for 2016. But just cause Fisher has tsken this uncommon approach i still stringly disagree that Fisher's moves are refective of Goff's superior quality and that Goff needs to sit to develop long term
That was a good, fun post.
You are correct, Goff certain has training. The two lessons and playing a gig was more related to the guys I train who do nothing but at baseball year round.
But, you make a good point.
The analogy game is a fun one.
I most played heavy rock music and as you know the formal training (reading) tends to be less in that world. I met some amazing musicians in that world however.
None of the analogies are perfect of course. I for one enjoyed what the writer was trying to do. Which was write in a thoughtful way....something that is becoming less and less common.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The author was not wrong when he thought that Goff was the best QB in the draft. Goff is the best QB in the draft --- Its just he let the Fisher regime convince him that he's somehow now wrong because of their desire to sit him for 2016 and not prepare him properly to play.

If you were to go back in a time machine and swap Goff and Wentz the story would be on how well Goff is playing right now. I am confident of that. Why? Because Philly has a strong offensive staff headed by an ex-QB as head coach who knows how to gameplan around the kid's strengths.

Goff has plenty of strengths still. He's still the guy we moved up to get. But that's ok, because as I mentioned more than once there is no correlation between greatness and starting fast. The kid's gonna be fine.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And you know it's not, how? It was widely reported that the system Schottenheimer left in place was voluminous. It hasn't changed all that much through Cignetti and now Boras except for minor tweaks in scale and terminology. And the larger point of the article was the *transition* from Air Raid to WCO for young QBs, and not so much to provide a quantitative measure of the complexity of Jeff Fisher's offenses in general.

I don't think a voluminous system has been the problem. Martz had an offense like a phone book and had his team ready to execute it in one offseason with one of the greatest results in the history of the game. It's about teaching. Do you have an OC who can translate the X's and O's to the players.

Schotty was a bad hire. That is clear now. So was Cignetti, dude was not ready or dynamic enough of a teacher to do the job required to get all these guys to raise the bar. Boras still has a chance. He has shown signs and I am still hopeful. If he's good enough, he's gonna succeed this season because he does have enough talent to field an average offense. He's got the OL, the RB, and some offensive pieces for the passing game.

This game's gonna be a big indicator for Scott too. Huge milestone game for him.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
But can he tell me where the sun rises and where the sun sets?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
And you know it's not, how? It was widely reported that the system Schottenheimer left in place was voluminous. It hasn't changed all that much through Cignetti and now Boras except for minor tweaks in scale and terminology. And the larger point of the article was the *transition* from Air Raid to WCO for young QBs, and not so much to provide a quantitative measure of the complexity of Jeff Fisher's offenses in general.

"Voluminous"?

Word for the...month? I like it

Nicely done senor Dude guy :cool:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The big thing here is you just cannot draw parallels on year one for QBs and decide what a guy is going to be. Just look at the history. But somehow the "experts" do just that year after year after year.

It's why I can give a F what any of them think.