CAMP REPORT Bubba's 1 Aug TC Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
That's one of the things that revisionists miss about the Robinson pick.. he was, truly, a physical freak.
Now.. I have no idea if Snead & McVay would make that choice if in the same situation now.. but I seriously, seriously doubt it. I think their evaluation of players at this point would eliminate him from consideration.

I've been on the sidelines for a few NFL games and, granted it was just warmups.. but I've never seen a guy that size move as fluidly as he did.
What concerned me about Robinson at the time was that almost everyone (meaning fans/media evaluators that I saw) were saying the worst he could be was a HOF guard. To me, that indicated that people had some serious blind spots evaluating him. Those blind spots made me very leery of him. He was supposedly guaranteed successwith no risk of failure. It sounded too good to be true. Turns out it was.

A ton of people got concerned when he left that the guy who couldn't put it together after high school, college, and however many years in the pros was suddenly going to figure it all out and become a great player. I never understood it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What concerned me about Robinson at the time was that almost everyone (meaning fans/media evaluators that I saw) were saying the worst he could be was a HOF guard. To me, that indicated that people had some serious blind spots evaluating him. Those blind spots made me very leery of him. He was supposedly guaranteed successwith no risk of failure. It sounded too good to be true. Turns out it was.

A ton of people got concerned when he left that the guy who couldn't put it together after high school, college, and however many years in the pros was suddenly going to figure it all out and become a great player. I never understood it.
That's not how I remember it.
The "can't miss" was Jake Matthews in the 2014 draft. He supposedly was the most NFL ready OT, but Robinson had the highest potential. Fisher/Snead was into drafting physical freaks like Brian Quick, Greg Robinson and Aaron Donald, thinking they could be coached into future HOFers. My Lord, I remember the hush-hush trip to work out Brian Quick and was thrown to by Case Keenum or whoever was available, and they acted like he was the next great receiving prospect....smh. I think of that and wonder how Snead didn't get fired along with Fish?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The "can't miss" was Jake Matthews in the 2014 draft. He supposedly was the most NFL ready OT, but Robinson had the highest potential. Fisher/Snead was into drafting physical freaks like Brian Quick, Greg Robinson and Aaron Donald, thinking they could be coached into future HOFers. My Lord, I remember the hush-hush trip to work out Brian Quick and was thrown to by Case Keenum or whoever was available, and they acted like he was the next great receiving prospect....smh. I think of that and wonder how Snead didn't get fired along with Fish?
Many front offices would've made the same mistake on Robinson, from everything I've read about that draft.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Many front offices would've made the same mistake on Robinson, from everything I've read about that draft.
I was also talking about Brian Quick

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I was also talking about Brian Quick
Oh, I get it.
I get the point about Snead surviving as well.
But, I also think Fisher drove those picks AND that Snead learned a lot in his first years. His ability to connect with McVay in the interview process was the key.. they felt like teammates from go.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, I get it.
I get the point about Snead surviving as well.
But, I also think Fisher drove those picks AND that Snead learned a lot in his first years. His ability to connect with McVay in the interview process was the key.. they felt like teammates from go.
I think ownership decided to move away from Fisher before the beginning of that his last season. I think that because no longer did Les Snead and Fish do that many joint press conferences and Snead seemed to disappear from the spotlight and Fish was alone out there, facing the media, unlike previous years. Or, as he now appears with McVay, often.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Your memory is already failing you, eh?

It actual looks like my memory is failing me. I went back and read his draft profiles from a few sites. Looks like a was remembering fan opinions more than those of professionals. To be fair, I trust those on this board more than the pros anyway. But I think I was still on ramstalk at the time so there's that...

There was talk that he didn't have super polished pass pro skills, but with his size, strength, and mobility it should be easy. And again, the potential for him to fail at OT was acknowledged in saying he would at worst be a HOF guard (again a fan take).

Matthews was more polished but considered to have a lower ceiling. What I recall is that he was already maxed out physically and technique wise. He would be good but never a difference maker. But that's going off memory, which we've already determined is faulty.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your memory is already failing you, eh?

It actual looks like my memory is failing me. I went back and read his draft profiles from a few sites. Looks like a was remembering fan opinions more than those of professionals. To be fair, I trust those on this board more than the pros anyway. But I think I was still on ramstalk at the time so there's that...

There was talk that he didn't have super polished pass pro skills, but with his size, strength, and mobility it should be easy. And again, the potential for him to fail at OT was acknowledged in saying he would at worst be a HOF guard (again a fan take).

Matthews was more polished but considered to have a lower ceiling. What I recall is that he was already maxed out physically and technique wise. He would be good but never a difference maker. But that's going off memory, which we've already determined is faulty.
We should have known, if memory serves me, his Wonderlic was very low.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think ownership decided to move away from Fisher before the beginning of that his last season. I think that because no longer did Les Snead and Fish do that many joint press conferences and Snead seemed to disappear from the spotlight and Fish was alone out there, facing the media, unlike previous years. Or, as he now appears with McVay, often.
That's how I saw it too.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

I wanted Taylor Lewan from the get-go.

Stunned that they took Greg Robinson.
He just simply did not have any proven pass pro to even look at on tape.

That's the main thing your left tackle has to have ability wise.

But very indicative of Jeff Fisher and his ability to not build a competent offensive line.

I was pointing out very early on in Fishers rookie year that I thought that would be his downfall.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He was a wild card, but it's too bad we didn't pick him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My draft philosophy has always been production over potential.
I think there was some question about his temperament, wasn't there? Sort of like Ritchie Incognito?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But very indicative of Jeff Fisher and his ability to not build a competent offensive line.

I was pointing out very early on in Fishers rookie year that I thought that would be his downfall.

It started right in his 1st year with the Rams. They needed a tackle bad to protect Bradford and there was one sitting right there for them at the top of the 2nd round. They had all night to think about it and lock him in. They took Brian Quick instead.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I generally don't participate in coulda-shoulda's in regards to past drafts, but the Rams might have traded out of the 2014 #2 overall pick and landed Donald, OBj & Lewan. jmo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I will just never forget the interview Jeff Fisher gave where he was talking about how they hired a helicopter to give Brian Quick a personal workout at Appalachian State, (NC).

He mentions how they were all stunned to silence with the amazing workout they had just witnessed.
And how they looked at each other wide-eyed in the helicopter ride back to the airport.

Jeff Fisher might want to let the professionals handle player evaluations in the future.
Agree - if I look back & judge? Then that is one time in Ram history that was shady & wrong.

My question would be if it was Sam Bradford who was apart of that a long with Les Snead.

Just for old time sake & what Ram fans here on Rod remember or have memories of?

I’m actually hating that Inhave such strong feelings about things right now. I did just go to my first trading camp with my GF.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But then, I also though Gregg Robinson was the best LT in the draft
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1659587008658.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think there was some question about his temperament, wasn't there? Sort of like Ritchie Incognito?
He got in a fight in school and injured some other kid as I recall.

But at least the production was there.
A kid growing up and maturing is more of a sure thing than pie in the sky potential.