CAMP REPORT Bubba's 1 Aug TC Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Getting ready to go to today's practice. I want to look at K/PR. Only three guys competing. Powell, Calais and Atwell so far. Also to keep track of OL 2nd team snaps. A Jackson LT, Anchrum LG, and Evans RT got most snaps with 2nd team at those positions. Bruss and Shelton split snaps at LG. If Shelton gets starting nod at LG, who is backup C?. Lets see if that continues. Glad I didn't go yesterday. It was the biggest crowd yet and they didn't do much. Hopefully not as crowded today. I want to get a seat where we can see the 11 on 11. We haven't had good enough view to critique players in 11 on 11. Do you like the play by play in my reports? Not sure folks like it. I can just put in the plays that stand out.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to an intense practice today.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.........If Shelton gets starting nod at LG, who is backup C?. Lets see if that continues. Glad I didn't go yesterday.........
It was reported that OL coach Carberry had OL'er Chandler Brewer taking reps @ center. That would be the first time I have ever heard that.

I have posted on your question & that very issue many times in ROD. To this date, I have received zero comments back on it. Sure makes Rookie Jack Snyder & Jeremiah Kolone's value increase. As TC & pre-season moves on the answer to your question might get less muddy.

Guess it is not a concern or worth any time due to the outstanding perfect health of Brian Allen over the past 4 seasons:lying:.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brewer, Snyder and Kolone all got snaps with 2nd team of Friday.

And your comments haven't gone unnoticed by me. Like you, OL is a position group I pay close attention to.

It all starts up front. Your OL gets backed up or weak, they rest is going to suck.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Brewer, Snyder and Kolone all got snaps with 2nd team of Friday.
I think they like Snyder and keep in mind that if Shelton starts at RG, he could still be the back up center. Much like the Viking game, where Shelton started at LG with Edwards at LT, then when Allen went down, Shelton moved to Center, Edwards back to LG and Jackson came off he bench to play LT. I also want @BonifayRam to review that too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Looking forward to the report. If you have time and desire to do play by play, that's great. But do what works for you. It's all bonus for us.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Your play-by-play reporting is both excellent a very much appreciate, bubba.

Just a minor suggestion?

One thing that intrigues me is if you notice any interaction between coaches and players. Rams are blessed with asst coaches and the exciting ascendency of our rookie CB’s is not a mere coincidence. Something special is going on.

Any player/coach insights that you might observe would be pure gold to me.

fearsomefour

Legend
Getting ready to go to today's practice. I want to look at K/PR. Only three guys competing. Powell, Calais and Atwell so far. Also to keep track of OL 2nd team snaps. A Jackson LT, Anchrum LG, and Evans RT got most snaps with 2nd team at those positions. Bruss and Shelton split snaps at LG. If Shelton gets starting nod at LG, who is backup C?. Lets see if that continues. Glad I didn't go yesterday. It was the biggest crowd yet and they didn't do much. Hopefully not as crowded today. I want to get a seat where we can see the 11 on 11. We haven't had good enough view to critique players in 11 on 11. Do you like the play by play in my reports? Not sure folks like it. I can just put in the plays that stand out.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to an intense practice today.
This is why I have been saying that if things are about even Bruss would get the nod at G over Shelton. Sheltons' greatest value is providing depth at all three interior OL spots, esp C.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think they like Snyder and keep in mind that if Shelton starts at RG, he could still be the back up center. Much like the Viking game, where Shelton started at LG with Edwards at LT, then when Allen went down, Shelton moved to Center, Edwards back to LG and Jackson came off he bench to play LT. I also want @BonifayRam to review that too.
Coleman Shelton has shown to have put forth a hell of a lot of great effort over the last few seasons after being blessed with slight NFL physical skills & frame. It's clearly apparent that CS is very smart & resourceful.

CS abruptly plowed past all the other highly blessed Ram Reserve Ol'ers to secure the top Reserve OL position to assist this team win its first Championship Season in over 2 decades. I understand fully that CS has fully & completely achieved the privilege to be the starting RG in the Ram 2022 OL!

In that 2021 Vikings game, Shelton demonstrated his versatility. He was awesome & seamless moving from OG to OC, "Flawless" would be a better description.:startstruck::wow2::smilehearts::hug:!

CS when on the field is the best OL'er Carberry has on hitting his target on the move! He is much better than Brian Allen at making these required blocks. In addition, his quick lateral movement & turning skills are getting close to being excellent also. So there is a bonified reason he is the current starter. CS might also be a perfect working partner with BA since they might offset each other while in action. BA has been better at the point of attack.

CS has that look, i.e. as the great Marshall Faulk did ......his body is just not that impressive to be in the NFL as a starter.

My biggest question is how will CS @ 6-4 299lbs stand up against those extra-large 330lbs starting DT's over time? That remains to be seen.

CS might have gotten strong enough (to get those extremely short alligator arms folded & tucked away inside {out of sight of the refs}) to hold to perfection to make it work. We will see if he starts.
This is why I have been saying that if things are about even Bruss would get the nod at G over Shelton. Sheltons' greatest value is providing depth at all three interior OL spots, esp C.
This is a very big question for Carberry to answer here in 30-something days.....to discover a smart, instructional soaking interior OL'er, who can quickly fill the position that CS did the last few seasons. That is a very difficult mission with very little material available.

Hopefully, Rookie
Jack Snyder can start to be that guy to begin to fill CS's shoes if he starts @ OG.

Ref.
Chandler Brewer working in @ OC......being over 6-6 & 320 plus pounds will be a serious challenge to overcome. But he could replace OC Kolone on the PS & end up winning being the selected mover back & forth from MR53 to PS squad this season as the 10th OL'er.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Can't see it. Deleted?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't see it. Deleted?
Strange it's still on her timeline but linking seems to say deleted. Somebody suggested what the WR order would be if Jefferson is out for a while.

1659371483286.png

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Coleman Shelton has shown to have put forth a hell of a lot of great effort over the last few seasons after being blessed with slight NFL physical skills & frame. It's clearly apparent that CS is very smart & resourceful.

CS abruptly plowed past all the other highly blessed Ram Reserve Ol'ers to secure the top Reserve OL position to assist this team win its first Championship Season in over 2 decades. I understand fully that CS has fully & completely achieved the privilege to be the starting RG in the Ram 2022 OL!

In that 2021 Vikings game, Shelton demonstrated his versatility. He was awesome & seamless moving from OG to OC, "Flawless" would be a better description.:startstruck::wow2::smilehearts::hug:!

CS when on the field is the best OL'er Carberry has on hitting his target on the move! He is much better than Brian Allen at making these required blocks. In addition, his quick lateral movement & turning skills are getting close to being excellent also. So there is a bonified reason he is the current starter. CS might also be a perfect working partner with BA since they might offset each other while in action. BA has been better at the point of attack.

CS has that look, i.e. as the great Marshall Faulk did ......his body is just not that impressive to be in the NFL as a starter.

My biggest question is how will CS @ 6-4 299lbs stand up against those extra-large 330lbs starting DT's over time? That remains to be seen.

CS might have gotten strong enough (to get those extremely short alligator arms folded & tucked away inside {out of sight of the refs}) to hold to perfection to make it work. We will see if he starts.

This is a very big question for Carberry to answer here in 30-something days.....to discover a smart, instructional soaking interior OL'er, who can quickly fill the position that CS did the last few seasons. That is a very difficult mission with very little material available.

Hopefully, Rookie
Jack Snyder can start to be that guy to begin to fill CS's shoes if he starts @ OG.

Ref.
Chandler Brewer working in @ OC......being over 6-6 & 320 plus pounds will be a serious challenge to overcome. But he could replace OC Kolone on the PS & end up winning being the selected mover back & forth from MR53 to PS squad this season as the 10th OL'er.
Shelton's arms are 31.5 inches. Bruss' 33.125 inches. Edward's 33.375 inches. Allen's 32.375 inches.

I'm not sure how critical that sub-2 inch difference in arm length is. Compared to a guy like Whitworth (35 inches) sure, I wouldn't think a smidge over an inch and a half would make a huge difference. Then again, I'm not/never was a coach and didn't actually play football so I could totally be wrong.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Shelton's arms are 31.5 inches. Bruss' 33.125 inches. Edward's 33.375 inches. Allen's 32.375 inches.

I'm not sure how critical that sub-2 inch difference in arm length is. Compared to a guy like Whitworth (35 inches) sure, I wouldn't think a smidge over an inch and a half would make a huge difference. Then again, I'm not/never was a coach and didn't actually play football so I could totally be wrong.
Bruss is just a physical prototype for the position and what they want. He's incredibly similar to Austin Corbett in so many ways.
Corbett got lost in a shitty organization, so it took him a while to really find his place in the NFL. Bruss couldn't have a better situation possible for a rookie Olineman, period. One college teammate.. another alum.. taking him in to transition to his new team/home and a god like Whitworth giving him one-on-one attention in camp.

Bruss will win the job.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jefferson is probably going to need to have the procedure redone, whatever it was. So if we assume he's going to miss some time the Rams are best served by someone standing out among the pack to fill his shoes.

By committee to me is worst case. Far better is if Tutu wins the job and goes the F off. Or Skow makes some big strides year two. And so on.

So for me right now I'm saying "which of you bastids wants it." Who's gonna be the guy. Go compete and we'll see who emerges. I have a likely winner in mind, of course, which is Skow. But not gonna lie I am still hopeful we see Tutu or Harris beast out. Skow to me is the fallback, he's the dependable option in a lot of ways.

Lastly Skow gets a lot of flak from fans. And some of it is warranted, but I think fans are forgetting he could improve too. He's a nice big target who brings toughness and smarts to the field and those things are not only valuable to a WR3 but appropriate for that role. Whoever wins this role I hope they make the best of it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Jefferson is probably going to need to have the procedure redone, whatever it was. So if we assume he's going to miss some time the Rams are best served by someone standing out among the pack to fill his shoes.

By committee to me is worst case. Far better is if Tutu wins the job and goes the F off. Or Skow makes some big strides year two. And so on.

So for me right now I'm saying "which of you bastids wants it." Who's gonna be the guy. Go compete and we'll see who emerges. I have a likely winner in mind, of course, which is Skow. But not gonna lie I am still hopeful we see Tutu or Harris beast out. Skow to me is the fallback, he's the dependable option in a lot of ways.

Lastly Skow gets a lot of flak from fans. And some of it is warranted, but I think fans are forgetting he could improve too. He's a nice big target who brings toughness and smarts to the field and those things are not only valuable to a WR3 but appropriate for that role. Whoever wins this role I hope they make the best of it.
The biggest problem with rotating the 3rd guy, imo, is how much your groupings are a “tell” on what you’re running.
Gotta think it’s more likely a pass play if Tutu is in over Skow, for example.
That makes Harris very interesting to me. He’s got the speed to help open shit up for Kupp & ARob.. but is big enough to be a factor blocking.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Tutu's size brings limits. And I doubt Tutu is the kind of guy who will mix it up blocking though gonna wait and see on that front. Harris is like a bird or something. Guys kind of toss him around, or they did last year. So gonna wait and see on him too. And your point re: defenses getting a tell based on who's in is true if neither of those guys make strides on the blocking side.

But with Skow there's no tell. He can be in the pattern or even used as a lead blocker. He might be that fullback some here have wanted for so long, just a guy who is sourced from the wideout group vice the backs.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah Tutu's size brings limits. And I doubt Tutu is the kind of guy who will mix it up blocking though gonna wait and see on that front. Harris is like a bird or something. Guys kind of toss him around, or they did last year. So gonna wait and see on him too. And your point re: defenses getting a tell based on who's in is true if neither of those guys make strides on the blocking side.

But with Skow there's no tell. He can be in the pattern or even used as a lead blocker. He might be that fullback some here have wanted for so long, just a guy who is sourced from the wideout group vice the backs.
I like Skow a lot.
My thing with him is they don’t have the speed on field to open stuff up.

My comp for blocking for Harris is Jefferson, not Skow. Now, I just have no idea how much of a functional route tree Harris has at this point.

I have zero problems with Skow, overall.. and actually like him to be the guy rotating in when Rob & Kupp go out. He’s physical as hell.