Bradford requests a trade, wont participate, will he retire?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm kind of amazed how many people have now turned to just bashing the guy. I get he's made a crap load of money but to say he didn't try while he was here is just insane. The guy had crap around him and took a pretty good beating.

Anyone that has worked for a company and then was laid off because they wanted to go younger/cheaper can understand wanting to go elsewhere. It's human nature. If you don't feel wanted you want out. Being rich has nothing to do with it.

Really the Eagles caused this. If they had any thought of trading up to get a QB to begin with they shouldn't of resigned Sam.

I hope Sam does go to the Broncos. With that D they will win the division again.

BTW- How many of you would take Sam's 19 TD's over the crap we watched this year?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

I doubt Sam signs the contract if he knew they were trading up. Not really a fair statement.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
If I were his agent I'd push him to duke it out with the kid with the Eagles, win the job, and play well. Re-establish his brand as a top QB that route, instead of allowing him to take the easy way out.

This is not about taking the "easy" way out. The "Bradford camp" knows that the odds are they will be in Philly this year... my opinion is that they do not want Philly or any other team to control ( via trade) where he goes next year. He will come back to the fold if they void his contract for 2017. They get out of a $4m guarantee and he gets to be a free agent and pick his team based on his 2016. Classic bet on yourself. Done it before by not redoing his Rams deal and signing a new deal with the Eagles. It is about the fact they are drafting a QB @ 2 not 8th.

But I remember when bulger was our QB and someone asked him if the Rams drafted a QB (cutler maybe?? ) .. He said they can draft any rookie QB they want I'll just beat him out in camp .. That's what I'd like to see from Sam (but maybe it goes back to his perceived lack of fight and fire )

Not the same. Ram's at that time did not give away 5 potential starters for a QB. Even he is good (which I expect him to be) the cost is huge. If you are Flecther Cox, to you do a long term deal with a team that can not fix their holes for the next 3 years? If you are a vet or someone who signed an extension based on Eagles "going for it now" what do you think in terms of trust in terms of the FO? Kelly all over again. Different rationale rational but the same effect.

This offseason, the Eagles went from a winner/competitor in their division to an afterthought. because of the lack of pieces they can add based on the "Trade". Better hope you can trade Bradford for more than one pick.

DO you think the Eagles would be the favorites in NFC East with E Elliot and a DL lineman in the second round? I do created by Eagles.

Bad position to be in.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I wonder where he ends up. Little doubt in my mind that we are a playoff team last year w him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is not about taking the "easy" way out. The "Bradford camp" knows that the odds are they will be in Philly this year... my opinion is that they do not want Philly or any other team to control ( via trade) where he goes next year. He will come back to the fold if they void his contract for 2017. They get out of a $4m guarantee and he gets to be a free agent and pick his team based on his 2016. Classic bet on yourself. Done it before by not redoing his Rams deal and signing a new deal with the Eagles. It is about the fact they are drafting a QB @ 2 not 8th.

You could be right, no way to say what his internal strategies or goals are.

But that said, I don't buy that the Bradford camp "knows the odds are they will be in Philly." Deciding to hold out typically means you refuse to accept either the pay or the situation, and when it's the situation teams typically move the player because it's not healthy to let players dictate how you run your organization.

IMO if Sam wanted to bet on himself he'd go into camp and win that job and play well. He's a player, and it's not his role to dictate how the competition will be laid out in camp. It's his role to go in there and win the job.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Agreed flv. I think Sam's been playing this wrong all the way back to the Rams when he did not sign an extension. And I think he's playing it wrong now.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'd be pissed too. It's the same at any job. If someone hires you to do a job, and then hires another guy to learn and take it from you, would you be happy? Not me. I'd wanna be somewhere I'm wanted. So I don't really blame him. They led him on. That being said, you play good, you can go anywhere basically because you will not be a backup in this league with that salary. They'll move you eventually when the kid is ready. In the meantime, tear it up.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Anyone that has worked for a company and then was laid off because they wanted to go younger/cheaper can understand wanting to go elsewhere. It's human nature. If you don't feel wanted you want out. Being rich has nothing to do with it.

He wasn't laid off. In fact he just cashed an $11 million check.

Not wanted, he's making 18 million this year.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Was it Sam Bradford's fault that he got the last massive rookie contract? No.
Was it Sam Bradford's fault that he was picked by a lousy team that never got much better over the years? No.
Was it Sam Bradford's fault that he went through several OC's and systems and that there was little continuity? No.
Was it Sam Bradford's fault that he suffered knee injuries? No.
Do I give a damn whether he has success or not on the field? No, not unless he's playing against the 49ers, Cardinals, Seahawks, or Patriots.
Do I feel sorry for him? Hell no!
******************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/25/sam-bradford-has-only-himself-to-blame/

Sam Bradford has only himself to blame
Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2016

bradford-e1461630062212.jpg
Getty Images

Eagles quarterback Sam Bradford now wants out of Philly. He possibly could have had that on March 9.

Bradford was due to become a free agent when he signed a new, two-year contract with the Eagles. He could have refused to do it, forcing the Eagles to choose between paying him nearly $20 million in 2016 or letting him walk.

He opted to take a two-year deal and a greater chunk of guaranteed money. But Bradford also didn’t sign the kind of contract that screamed to the world the fact that he’s the long-term answer. The Eagles either didn’t insist, or Bradford didn’t want, anything more than that. And all that that implies.

Bradford still got paid a lot of money — a whopping $35 million over two years, with $22 million fully guaranteed at signing. He earned $11 million to sign, with $5.5 million of it already paid out.

If the Eagles want to pay him that much money to be the starter for only as long as he can hold off Carson Wentz or Chase Daniel or anyone else, the Eagles have the right to do just that. In turn, Bradford has the right to boycott the entire offseason program, skipping all voluntary drills and, if he’s willing to pay the small (relative to training-camp holdouts) fine, the annual mandatory minicamp.

By taking such an aggressive stand, however, Bradford runs the risk of being criticized for accepting the big-money premium that flows to quarterbacks in exchange for the not-so-subtle presumption that the starter will be an all-in extension of the coaching staff, putting in extra effort and setting the example for the rest of the roster.

Maybe Bradford believes the team wasn’t candid with him about its plans for the quarterback position when signing him. Regardless, Philly’s willingness to ask for only a two-year commitment should have made clear that the Eagles would continue to look for the one thing they haven’t had since Donovan McNabb started to lose his fastball: A true franchise quarterback.

Besides, Eagles executive V.P. of football operations Howie Roseman continues to insist, even in the wake of Bradford reportedly telling the team he wants out, that Bradford is the starter. What more can Bradford expect, especially after six years of NFL experience that still has the jury out on the question of whether he’s a bust? Only true franchise quarterbacks have job security, and that job security evaporates as soon as the franchise quarterback is no longer playing like one.

So Bradford’s best play would be to cash his checks and take advantage of his opportunity to keep Wentz and Daniel on the bench. If Bradford nevertheless wants to be traded, the best way to do it is to pretend (for now) that he wants to stay, allowing the Eagles to muster enough leverage to make the deal worthwhile.

As it stands, the Eagles may have to eat the entire $11 million signing bonus to make a trade happen. If they have to pay the whole bonus and essentially give Bradford away, the Eagles may decide to take a T.O.-style stand, forcing Bradford to resort to shirtless driveway situps and “next question” press conferences on the front lawn.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm kind of amazed how many people have now turned to just bashing the guy. I get he's made a crap load of money but to say he didn't try while he was here is just insane. The guy had crap around him and took a pretty good beating.

Really the Eagles caused this. If they had any thought of trading up to get a QB to begin with they shouldn't of resigned Sam.

I hope Sam does go to the Broncos. With that D they will win the division again.

BTW- How many of you would take Sam's 19 TD's over the crap we watched this year?

I'm with you @bwdenverram .

He wasn't laid off. In fact he just cashed an $11 million check.

Not wanted, he's making 18 million this year.

Again. Making an argument for what he's been paid? Don't get this approach, at all.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Again. Making an argument for what he's been paid? Don't get this approach, at all.

It's very simple. They've made a sizable investment in him-to start, not sit on the bench.

If he plays well and leads them to a playoff berth they will want him back for 2017. If he does it in 2017 they will want him back for 2018 and beyond.

If he behaves like a child they won't want him back at all.

PhxRam

I never thought of Bradford as a diva, but this has diva move written all over it.

What a pussy move by Bradford.

If you want to be "the man" then show up to practice and show your teammates who "the man" is.

It is called competition and any GM worth a crap is always looking to improve every position at every given opportunity.

It sounds like he wants to go to a team without any competition and have everyone stroke his ego and tell him he is "the man"

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not like any competition for QB is going to be fair, with the better player in 2016 getting the job for the year. The Eagles did not trade up in two steps to #2 to sit the kid they draft for more than a few games. The Eagles know it and Sam knows it. As soon as they feel the rookie is ready or nearly ready, Sam goes to the bench. And the team has been stripped a bit to move up for the rookie (the trade to #8, and then the high draft picks to move to #2). So the Eagles are likely to struggle even if Sam is very good. And all this right after they signed him. I also suspect that during negotiations he was told the job was his to lose, or he wouldn't have signed just before free agency.

IOW, I don't blame him for being upset. I do think that if the contract could be voided, he'd agree to that - but the NFLPA would never agree to him returning the bonus, and I can't see him doing anything to piss off his fellow players like that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I never thought of Bradford as a diva, but this has diva move written all over it.

What a wuss move by Bradford.

If you want to be "the man" then show up to practice and show your teammates who "the man" is.

It is called competition and any GM worth a crap is always looking to improve every position at every given opportunity.

It sounds like he wants to go to a team without any competition and have everyone stroke his ego and tell him he is "the man"

I don't know?

We don't know what he was told when he signed. Why would he be upset unless this move contradicted what he was told?

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
What a whining crybaby just like Brady. Bring in a little competition as he falls apart. I always backed him while he was on the Rams but I admitted I was wrong. The guy is not a team player and a lousy QB. I too hope the whiner goes to the Whiners and would like to see Donald, Brockers, Hayes, and Quinn all get good clean, fair, hard shots on his a#@ and sack him multiple times.

Last edited: