Blalock scheduled to visit Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes Tim Barnes was permitted to enter UFA'cy. Yes I believe the Rams know what they will have in Barnes.

So you think that both Jones & Barnes have had their chance ? Chance at what? Can you define what you mean by "had their chance".

Its been known form the very beginning that Scott Wells was going to be the starting center in 2014 & has been said around here for a long while. I know of no chance provided to Barnes-Jones or Rhaney to be the Rams starting center. Do you?

Every single practice is a chance. Barnes had 3-4 years to prove he could start and Jones had this year. They both got some playing time and one of them was allowed to walk. The whole idea is competition Bonifay. If there is a better player at a certain position then he pushes for playing time. Sure mostly that is decided in training camp, but Barnes hd several camps to prove he could progress and become good enough to start and he never did.

Think about how bad Wells and Joseph were last year. None of the Rams backups were able to unseat either one. That tells us that th Rams backups are pretty much shit. Rhaney gets a pass because he was in his first year, the coaches expressed that they liked what they saw and then he had a season ending injury. So none of us know what the plan is for him yet. However I will summise, knowing what we know about Rhaney and that Barnes was allowed to move on, that at the very least he will be the backup center.

I also recall JT saying in a chat, that the Rams consider Barret Jones to be more of a Guard than Center. Again, if he could not displace Joseph, it does not seem like he is starting material.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remember Jones had the back surgery and needed to rebuild strength. It's possible they like his mechanics but felt he wasn't NFL strong yet. If they've been monitoring him this offseason (and they have) and he's improved his strength significantly in the past 3 months, they may feel he's ready. Or they may just feel he's a versatile back up for them - which the Rams also need.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I think Wisniewski is going to be overpaid. I'd like to have him here but I'd imagine we could get both Blalock and Barksdale for his price tag.

I don't think it's realistic to expect all three either.

If you're going to overpay...it's for an ascending player who's still only 25 years old, his best years are ahead of him...

WestCoastRam

Legend
Here's another thought about center: maybe with all the changes at QB during the year, that affected the coaches decisions to put in a new center.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you're going to overpay...it's for an ascending player who's still only 25 years old, his best years are ahead of him...
You better hope so if you're inking him to a long-term deal as he hasn't proven to be anything more than average as a center.

Thats not a player worth overpaying for in my mind.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Man, it would be terrific if Rhaney and Jones are capable of being our starting and backup centers. I understand that we can't rely on that, but damn it would be nice. That would make for one less position to worry about this offseason.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Every single practice is a chance. Barnes had 3-4 years to prove he could start and Jones had this year. They both got some playing time and one of them was allowed to walk. The whole idea is competition Bonifay. If there is a better player at a certain position then he pushes for playing time. Sure mostly that is decided in training camp, but Barnes hd several camps to prove he could progress and become good enough to start and he never did.

Think about how bad Wells and Joseph were last year. None of the Rams backups were able to unseat either one. That tells us that th Rams backups are pretty much crap. Rhaney gets a pass because he was in his first year, the coaches expressed that they liked what they saw and then he had a season ending injury. So none of us know what the plan is for him yet. However I will summise, knowing what we know about Rhaney and that Barnes was allowed to move on, that at the very least he will be the backup center.

I also recall JT saying in a chat, that the Rams consider Barret Jones to be more of a Guard than Center. Again, if he could not displace Joseph, it does not seem like he is starting material.

I will maintain here that the Ram starting center post has NEVER up in the air waiting to be manned by anyone other than Scott Wells since his signing in early 2012 ....at any time in Training Camps or pre seasons or regular seasons.

I am still far from being convinced that Tim Barnes has really moved on away from the Rams org. minds as it thought here. We will see, will we not;).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I will maintain here that the Ram starting center post has NEVER up in the air waiting to be manned by anyone other than Scott Wells since his signing in early 2012 ....at any time in Training Camps or pre seasons or regular seasons.

I am still far from being convinced that Tim Barnes has really moved on away from the Rams org. minds as it thought here. We will see, will we not;).

I still believe that if someone was good enough to displace Wells, they would have last year. Remember Wells was not as untouchable as you suggest. He was just cut while still under contract.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
We only have 5 OL right now. Need 2 FA signings and 3 draftee's along with undrafted free agents just to have camp. Person just signed with falcons . I believe Barrett Jones was given a chance to fully recover from his back surgery and rebuild his lost muscle mass he had built up after his Lis Franc injury we drafted him with. We have used more patience with Jones than we did with Sam Bradfords knee recovery. Sam was needed and there was no reason during a losing season to force Jones to get a few center reps when the overpaid Scott Wells was trying to suck it up and played out his year with many injuries.

Lets see if our patience in our 4th round pick and 3 time National Champion College player will play for us. Looks like if Barksdale isn't resigned for us we're gonna need all he can give us. We have to start getting a stud draftee EVERY year from here on out. Stop with the over 30 falling injured retreads with past pro-bowls. The last success we had in FA was #62 from Green Bay and helped us win a SB at right guard . He was of the first contract after being a rookie was young and still on the rise with great leadership.

It takes some mean recruiting to get these guys to our Rams without a great coach or past teammate like Sam Bradford recruited DeMarco to the Eagles yesterday. Can demoff spread our 13 Mill we have left to sign Barksdale and Wisnewski? Have enough left for Rookies. Or do we have to settle for Blaylock who really struggles in pass blocking as PFF rates him. He does have a better run blocking rating ,but that was before his MCL and Bonifay Ram said a back injury. I want the young guys and build a farm team . Our team has less big holes and we can add at least one stud OL a year. We can add a MLB replacement that is'nt a drag down tackler at MLB in the 3rd or 4th round like the 9ers found last year. JL does'nt cut it behind our great line on D for me.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hopefully for depth rather than as a starter.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
What's concerning to me is, there hasn't even been a feel good fluff piece on B Jones talking about his recovery. It really makes you wonder what's going on.

On topic. Where do you see Blalock is coming in for a visit? All i'm reading is he left Detroit without a contract and he might visit the Rams next week. Hope I'm wrong.