Blalock scheduled to visit Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Nah, he was really, really bad with the Bucs his last year too. Some people just thought he needed more time to recover from the knee injury and he'd be okay, turns out that wasn't the case.
That's how I recall it too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The interest I have in the young Stefon Wisniewski is as the starting OLG not the starting center. IMO the Rams will have one of these three as the starting center in 2015....Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones or Demetrius Rhaney. The fact that Wisniewski can play center is a big bonus for us as well.

I would also desire that we sign Blalock too so the Rams can be 3 deep in starting OG's. I might need to remind everyone here that in college the 6-4 330 pound Blalock was a starting Right side OT for many seasons before moving into the OLG post in the NFL. So the right side would not be Unfamiliar to Blalock. The real concern with Justin Blalock is how strong is his back & moving forward is this back issue chronic declining health issue. If healthy Blalock should provide much better pass blocking & run blocking from one of the Ram OG posts than we ever got from Davin Joseph.

Now if the Rams come up empty in free agency for a right OT & are forced to seek a starting ORT in the draft ......Rodger Saffold now can shift outside early in the 2015 season until our newly talented drafted rookie is ready to take over.

I still would prefer that the Rams do not seek the return of Barksdale as starting ORT.

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I don't understand the interest in Wisniewski. Other than being young and durable, he doesn't seem to be a highly rated Center.

I would prefer to make Barksdale and Blalock priorities and go after Reese Dismukes from Auburn in the 2nd round and let him compete with Barret Jones.

These two are smart enough to taker over the line calls and will have at least 3 veterans around them for support.

Multiple better options than Reese Dismukes, too. The C from FSU looks good. He's a converted LT.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Multiple better options than Reese Dismukes, too. The C from FSU looks good. He's a converted LT.

But the Center from Florida State (Cameron Erving) did not attend Auburn like Dismukes so GM Les Snead might not feel that way.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
C'mon man - where's the blue font?:cool:
blue-lines-font-3-big.png

jjab360

Legend
The interest I have in the young Stefon Wisniewski is as the starting OLG not the starting center. IMO the Rams will have one of these three as the starting center in 2015....Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones or Demetrius Rhaney. The fact that Wisniewski can play center is a big bonus for us as well.

I would also desire that we sign Blalock too so the Rams can be 3 deep in starting OG's. I might need to remind everyone here that in college the 6-4 330 pound Blalock was a starting Right side OT for many seasons before moving into the OLG post in the NFL. So the right side would not be Unfamiliar to Blalock. The real concern with Justin Blalock is how strong is his back & moving forward is this back issue chronic declining health issue. If healthy Blalock should provide much better pass blocking & run blocking from one of the Ram OG posts than we ever got from Davin Joseph.

Now if the Rams come up empty in free agency for a right OT & are forced to seek a starting ORT in the draft ......Rodger Saffold now can shift outside early in the 2015 season until our newly talented drafted rookie is ready to take over.

I still would prefer that the Rams do not seek the return of Barksdale as starting ORT.
Why? Barnes and Jones have had their chance and haven't made anything of it, and I just don't get the love for Rhaney I've seen from some on here.

paceram

Pro Bowler

I thought the Rams released Barnes? Do you think they will re-sign him? I am still keeping my fingers crossed that somehow the Rams can sign both Wisniewski and Barksdale!

paceram

Pro Bowler
But the Center from Florida State (Cameron Erving) did not attend Auburn like Dismukes so GM Les Snead might not feel that way.

I think the edge definitely goes to Dismukes since he is an Auburn Tiger alumni! Plus, I don't think Erving will be around when the Rams pick in the 2nd round so if they want him they will either need to pick him in the 1st round (I think #10 is too high but the could trade down) or trade up from the 2nd round pick. Being an FSU Fan I would not have any problems with the Rams picking him to be their starting center!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Unless I am missing something - no trip has been scheduled yet ... probably pick it up this week. Same with Wis, I think.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I thought the Rams released Barnes? Do you think they will re-sign him? I am still keeping my fingers crossed that somehow the Rams can sign both Wisniewski and Barksdale!

Yes Tim Barnes was permitted to enter UFA'cy. Yes I believe the Rams know what they will have in Barnes.
Why? Barnes and Jones have had their chance and haven't made anything of it, and I just don't get the love for Rhaney I've seen from some on here.

So you think that both Jones & Barnes have had their chance ? Chance at what? Can you define what you mean by "had their chance".

Its been known form the very beginning that Scott Wells was going to be the starting center in 2014 & has been said around here for a long while. I know of no chance provided to Barnes-Jones or Rhaney to be the Rams starting center. Do you?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

I figure he's loved because we've never seen him play. I've seen what Barnes and Jones can do (although not so much Jones at NFL level). I never watched Rhaney play a snap - so he could all pro for all I know. As a fan I choose to believe he is until he proves otherwise....

I don't think Jones has "had his chance". In what? All of his 50 career snaps or thereabouts??

WestCoastRam

Legend
JT mentioned in his last chat (I'm paraphrasing, of course) that he felt Jones might get a shot at center but that Rhaney wouldn't be ready. That caught my attention, this idea that Rhaney wouldn't be ready....

When it comes to Jones, I'm thoroughly confused as to what the thinking/thought-process is with him and playing or not playing. I've just gotten to the point where I assume he's not starting material until shown otherwise.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Is'nt Blaylock coming off a MCL also Bonifay? I'm in Panama City myself almost 60 years. We're practically neighbors. I think we having only 13 mill left after the Britt signing it won't be all three but probably 2 FA OL signed if we want the freedom of BPA with our #1 pick. We might have to first hope the Giants don't take Scherff so we can plug him at ORT first as we all know he can be special at guard.

I'm right here at FSU and think Cam Irving is too tall at 6'6" for center in the NFL and would struggle with leverage with the real Big Boys and not the college underlings. We would need Collins at ORT from LSU if Barksdale won't sign with us as I feel we have upgraded our initial offer to him and have seen the tweet on another board.

We can't afford another Joseph mistake with Blaylock and as Bonifay said that a back injury may be involved too. He'd have to pass a major physical for a two year deal. Wisnewski obviosly wants a major payday like the Chiefs Center got and he is lacking in the pass blocking department but would fit our power running game. I want to keep Saffold at guard and never risk him playing tackle again if need be. He always goes down outside.

I don't want Dismukes either as I've heard the Rams think he'd be great in the 3rd . Hate they think Auburn players have IT when they don't. Fairley only had one freak year at Auburn and nothing special yet even playing next to Suh. So don't get your hopes up there unless Donald just embarrasses him into playing his best. Its gonna take some great money magic with 13 Mill left and needing Barksdale as we know he can play a full season and will be better with Joseph and Wells not next to him but Saffold and some offseason speed rusher work.

I really want to get Wiz to sign and he'd be our only overpay over a rookie center starter. It won't be like the cowboys Frederick rookie starting . This years crop of 4-5 possible starters are really kinda risky. Don't want the Oregon grasau either please. Like I said its gonna take some money magic and if we can pass on Fishers favorite vet downside players I'd feel beter for foles as pass blocking is Blaylocks weak spot and having that and a ? at center sounds just too scary unless we have Scherff starting at guard and Barksdale signed. Foles deserves at least that or Collins from LSU at Guard if the giants sign Scherff ahead of us and we miss out on one of the 3 BPA in the WR's that would really finally give Foles a #1 deep threat he really needs as Quick's shoulder is a mess from what I've heard. He tore everthing he could in there. How delicate will he be? Lots to think about.

Just think if we did'nt get the awesome trade and the cap relief in the trade for Bradford?