Billy Devaney discusses what went wrong with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Brian McIntyre
Around the League writer
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... -with-rams

Though the St. Louis Rams went 7-9 and nearly won the NFC West in 2010, a 12-52 record during his four seasons wasn't enough to save general manager Billy Devaney's job after a miserable 2011 season.

So what went wrong in St. Louis? On Saturday, Devaney discussed the situation he inherited and the roadblocks that surfaced along the way during an interview with Doug Farrar and Rob Rang on "Chalk Talk" on KJR-AM in Seattle.

"I still ask myself that, almost every day," Devaney said. "The short version is when I was named general manager, we were looking for a head coach. And went through the hiring process, had great candidates, and knew (Steve) Spagnuolo from way back when I worked at the Redskins, he was an intern, so they hired Spags. [hil]As soon as Spags gets hired, the team is for sale.[/hil] Chip and Lucia (Rosenbloom) inherit the team from Georgia Frontiere. Through a whole mess of legalese and tax issues, they tried everything they could to keep the team and they weren't going to be able to.

"So the team went up for sale. [hil]It was an old roster. Really old roster.[/hil] There were some guaranteed contracts on there that we had to live with. Spags and I could got together with Chip and we said [hil]'Listen, this is going to be a complete overhaul, let's just bite the bullet and, rather than do it piece meal, let's blow the whole damn thing up.' "[/hil]

Farrar commented on the state of the Rams' roster in 2008, which he jokingly said was basically "Steven Jackson and the Pips".

"That was it," said Devaney. "And you know what? I would have probably been happier with some of the Pips, quite honestly."

Devaney mentioned that[hil]they had to make some tough, unpopular decisions on Torry Holt and Orlando Pace, two franchise cornerstones who were no longer performing at a high level, and that there wasn't a whole lot of money being put into a team that was for sale.[/hil] The selection of Bradford gave Devaney the impression that the franchise was moving forward, but coaching moves led to a backslide.

"We lose Pat Shurmur to the Cleveland Browns, he's our offensive coordinator. And the decision was made to bring in Josh McDaniels and change the whole offense. And it kind of completely blew up on us," Devaney said. "It was the perfect storm, Doug and Rob. [hil]When you look at it, we had a ton of injuries, no offseason. It was just one thing after another. I could tell in training camp -- I mean early on, I don't even know if we started playing a preseason game -- things just, especially on offense, things just looked really ... nobody looked comfortable.[/hil]

"And our (2011) schedule was ridiculous. I mean, we were hoping, and this is -- we're trying to be optimistic -- we were hoping at the halfway point, we may have had two wins. We thought if we could scratch out two wins, the back end of the schedule, we could win a couple of more games. Well, I don't know if we won any. We may have won one, but by that time, the roster was decimated. [hil]We were working corners out on Tuesday and they were lining up and starting for us on Sunday. ... Five or six of those guys, I couldn't even tell you who they were.[/hil]

"You can't hide corners. Not in this league," Devaney added. [hil]"Spagnuolo was handcuffed (in) what he liked to do.[/hil] We had new guys, rookies, guys that never played in the NFL. So we had to play very vanilla. We couldn't do all the exotic stuff that Spagnuolo likes to do on defense. So, it was just a nightmare. It was just one of those years, everything that could go wrong, went wrong for us."

[hil]The roster that Rams head coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead have inherited is considerably younger and more talented than the one that Devaney had when he arrived in 2008.[/hil] The new regime is also aware that you can't hide corners in the NFL and devoted significant resources to the position this offseason. Cortland Finnegan was signed to a five-year, $50 million contract that contained $27 million in guaranteed money, and the Rams used the No. 39 pick in the draft on Janoris Jenkins, a first-round talent who is slated to start immediately, and the No. 65 overall pick on Trumaine Johnson, a tall, long corner who will likely play in a nickel role this season.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Looks about right to me. Seems like he didn't have much input on the McD hiring and that strikes me as a bit odd. Wonder if it was pressure from higher up or something like that? When your GM can smell the stank of self-doubt in late July, you know things are going to end badly.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah, that's about what I figured. The Rams were going down in flames... Spags and Billy D. were basically brought in to level it out and crash as safe as possible... Fisher and Sneed are here to rebuild and get up in the air again.

Interesting about Josh though, when nobody looked comfortable... Did Josh think that the offence would just figure it out in time? I figured someone would have told him to dial it back... Or maybe he did dial it back a lot and they still couldn't get it done.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Yeah, that's about what I figured. The Rams were going down in flames... Spags and Billy D. were basically brought in to level it out and crash as safe as possible... Fisher and Sneed are here to rebuild and get up in the air again.

Interesting about Josh though, when nobody looked comfortable... Did Josh think that the offence would just figure it out in time? I figured someone would have told him to dial it back... Or maybe he did dial it back a lot and they still couldn't get it done.
That's a nice analogy. Fisher and Snead aren't here to rebuild though, IMO. They're here to build upon and finish up. Just a mess that nobody was going to be able to succeed in, and that's kinda what happened.

I'm fairly confident that Josh thought they would figure it out in due time, and they were starting to. There were a lot of good game plans, but it's a lot to ask of rookies, 2nd year guys, and free agent signings that had never done it before. I think it would have been a success with an off-season, because we're talking about literally over a thousand reps that they were deprived of.

There was a story about Spags taking all the coaches into his office and getting real with them, and it's widely speculated that it was to rein everything in. I think they did too. But, like Devaney said, once everything started coming together, everything fell apart. Injuries like that are incredibly difficult to overcome, and it's not like the Rams were a returning playoff team to begin with. The whole thing was destined for failure, and it's a shame. I hope Jeff Fisher doesn't have to deal with anything remotely like what happened to this team last year. I want him to enjoy a near-perfect set of circumstances so that this team can reap the benefits thereof. Kinda like Harbaugh had last year. I still feel as though we're better than the 49ers, and if we can avoid the injury plague, I think we'll be able to demonstrate that.

superfan24

Starter
Agree with everything here. When Fisher starts winning right away spags and BD definitely deserve some credit for building the roster from the shit show when they came in.
As for now, I'm just looking forward to relevant games in December.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

That's a nice analogy. Fisher and Snead aren't here to rebuild though, IMO. They're here to build upon and finish up. Just a mess that nobody was going to be able to succeed in, and that's kinda what happened.

I'm fairly confident that Josh thought they would figure it out in due time, and they were starting to. There were a lot of good game plans, but it's a lot to ask of rookies, 2nd year guys, and free agent signings that had never done it before. I think it would have been a success with an off-season, because we're talking about literally over a thousand reps that they were deprived of.

There was a story about Spags taking all the coaches into his office and getting real with them, and it's widely speculated that it was to rein everything in. I think they did too. But, like Devaney said, once everything started coming together, everything fell apart. Injuries like that are incredibly difficult to overcome, and it's not like the Rams were a returning playoff team to begin with. The whole thing was destined for failure, and it's a shame. I hope Jeff Fisher doesn't have to deal with anything remotely like what happened to this team last year. I want him to enjoy a near-perfect set of circumstances so that this team can reap the benefits thereof. Kinda like Harbaugh had last year. I still feel as though we're better than the 49ers, and if we can avoid the injury plague, I think we'll be able to demonstrate that.

This^^^ ALL this^^^

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah it's been discussed quite a bit. The 2006-2008 drafts really destroyed this team, and the years before weren't so hot either. Most teams have a few young players you could build off of and a group of vets in their prime. Only Steven Jackson was that guy.

At least they hit on Chris Long, otherwise 2008 would be a clusterfuck just like the others.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

Oh yeah, same with me. If we had had our injuries cut in half, we probably would have seen 6 wins at least.

If Jackson doesn't get injured, we beat the Giants no question. Eagles game probably would have been closer as well.

I agree that Fisher isn't really here to rebuild as well, wasn't quite sure how to word that really.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

Oh yeah, same with me. If we had had our injuries cut in half, we probably would have seen 6 wins at least.

If Jackson doesn't get injured, we beat the Giants no question. Eagles game probably would have been closer as well.

I agree that Fisher isn't really here to rebuild as well, wasn't quite sure how to word that really.
I think Finnegan knew how to phrase it.

"We're remodeling."

Call me an eternal optimist, but I wouldn't be surprised if this team won 4 games or 11 games. They are capable of both. However, I would REALLY be shocked if we only won 2 games. That number should be reserved for Miami or Cleveland.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WestsideRamsfan said:
Call me an eternal optimist, but I wouldn't be surprised if this team won 4 games or 11 games. They are capable of both. However, I would REALLY be shocked if we only won 2 games. That number should be reserved for Miami or Cleveland.
Eternal Optimist. :neh:

You're right. It's all gonna come down to execution (and health) because the talent level isn't lacking. So, yeah. They're capable of either 4 or 11 wins depending on the situation.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
It was just one of those years, everything that could go wrong, went wrong for us.

Amen.
Yep. Murphy's law even crippled Jerome Murphy.

Anonymous

Warner4Prez said:
Looks about right to me. Seems like he didn't have much input on the McD hiring and that strikes me as a bit odd.

Normally a GM isn't going to mess around with a coach's prerogatives in hiring the coordinator of his choice. Given that, still, we know from his response at the time that BD had nothing against the McD hire and in fact was in McD's corner. To the extent any GM is going to have a say, he apparently did, enough to be enthusiastic.

And nothing he said there indicates he had any problem with it.

What he said is that the install didn't go well. That's months after the hire. And is just circumstances. No off-season. He didn't blame anyone and he didn't say anything to indicate he was weird about McD.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Agree with Billy 100%.

Believe Kroenke said in his statement after Spags and Billy were fired or it might have been Demoff who said it, that they were the right people who got the wrong results.

I believe Fisher and Snead are inheriting a team which has something to build off of, unlike what Devaney and Spags had. This team at least has SOMETHING unlike what the Rams had in 2009, aside from Jackson.

Anonymous

Lesson said:
Agree with Billy 100%.

Believe Kroenke said in his statement after Spags and Billy were fired or it might have been Demoff who said it, that they were the right people who got the wrong results.

I believe Fisher and Snead are inheriting a team which has something to build off of, unlike what Devaney and Spags had. This team at least has SOMETHING unlike what the Rams had in 2009, aside from Jackson.

I hope they didnt' say that cause it would be wrong. They were the right people who got ambushed by circumstances beyond them.

I think Stan let em go cause they were losing so what the heck, just fix it up with HIS guy in there. It's what he did with his Denver teams. Though in Denver he even did it with a winning team. Start over, insert HIS guy, and his guy always fits a certain profile (like Fisher).

I think Fisher knows full well what he inherited. I doubt he joins the chorus of detractors (well he wouldn't do it publically anyway but I mean he doesn't join them even in his head).

The difference between 09 and 2012 is not, I think, "something anyway," it's night and day.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
Lesson said:
Agree with Billy 100%.

I hope they didnt' say that cause it would be wrong. They were the right people who got ambushed by circumstances beyond them.

I think Stan let em go cause they were losing so what the heck, just fix it up with HIS guy in there. It's what he did with his Denver teams. Though in Denver he even did it with a winning team. Start over, insert HIS guy, and his guy always fits a certain profile (like Fisher).

I think Fisher knows full well what he inherited. I doubt he joins the chorus of detractors (well he wouldn't do it publically anyway but I mean he doesn't join them even in his head).

The difference between 09 and 2012 is not, I think, "something anyway," it's night and day.
That was Demoff. And, literally speaking, it's true. They did get the wrong results.

The reasons behind that are another matter, but to boil it down, it was the wrong result. When hired, their desired results were to post winning seasons. That's what Kroenke wanted and expected. Since it didn't happen, the results were -- "wrong." I don't think that's an indictment of either of them. It's just what happened. Demoff, during that announcement, was never going to explain it in detail. He just wasn't going to do that. He was dutifully charged with taking the focus away from the past and putting it on the future for the benefit of the fans. To get them excited about change. Lamenting the past would have taken the luster off of his speech, and that's counterproductive to what he was trying to accomplish. It's all by design.

Lesson

Oh, really?
zn said:
Lesson said:
Agree with Billy 100%.

I don't think it's fair to compare the environment of the NBA and NHL to the NFL. However, what you are saying is correct. I don't know much about the Nuggets and their front office, but I do know the Avs GM, Sherman, is an up and comer. The Avs have been improving since he has taken over(though they were horrendous in 2010-2011, with situations that he couldn't control). The Avs' previous GM, I believe, is an advisor to the team currently.

Anyways, I think we are on the same page here:

If it was at all similar to 2009, Fisher wouldn't be here.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
Lesson said:
Agree with Billy 100%.

That was Demoff. And, literally speaking, it's true. They did get the wrong results.

The reasons behind that are another matter, but to boil it down, it was the wrong result. When hired, their desired results were to post winning seasons. That's what Kroenke wanted and expected. Since it didn't happen, the results were -- "wrong." I don't think that's an indictment of either of them. It's just what happened. Demoff, during that announcement, was never going to explain it in detail. He just wasn't going to do that. He was dutifully charged with taking the focus away from the past and putting it on the future for the benefit of the fans. To get them excited about change. Lamenting the past would have taken the luster off of his speech, and that's counterproductive to what he was trying to accomplish. It's all by design

Lesson said:
I think we are on the same page here:

If it was at all similar to 2009, Fisher wouldn't be here.

Thems wuzz 2 good posts.

I like reading good posts.