Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My first post in maybe was The Big 5 !!

It was the towards the end of the preseason, & I went to the Chargers scrimmage & yelled at everyone. My biggest take from it was the connection of the offensive line.

I was very unhappy with the backup offensive lineman. Les Snead has to of heard that rant ?
I know he looked up at me from the sidelines for a little while thinking who the F’ is that guy .

I think Saffold was getting beat real bad as well ? Mannion could not complete as pass in 3rd down situations ?

So the story goes watching Whitworth & Sullivan on the sidelines was awesome. They
Went to the back of the bench’s & then Saffold had head down. Big Rob & Brown sort of solo.
Jared Goff always checks in with the 2 veterans, & Saffold got his composure & gathered after consolidated. Big Rob became a sponge & Brown just fit in .
This is how The Big 5 started to develop as a Total Unit. John Sullivan & Whitworth bringing there leadership to The Rams !!
I expect The Big 5 to be better this coming season.

This post is about the backups though.
Austin Blythe was amazing surprise filling in , but after that ??

Looks like Darrell Williams won’t to be back ?
The Rams have no depth at all behind Saffold & Whitworth except Austin Blythe.

Cornelius Lucas is a mammoth of a guy, who some said played real good as a starting RT against the 9ers ?

Neary at center played well at center.

The Rams were very high on Eldrenkamp & they brought back Dunn at Tackle .

This all said after Sullivan just resigned The Rams only have Whitworth coming back in 2019 ?? To say that offensive line is not number 1 one the list of position to fill would be almost ludicrous.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I really feel that if the Rams stay at 23 and the LOT of the future is there he will be the pick.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I really feel that if the Rams stay at 23 and the LOT of the future is there he will be the pick.

Looks like a great spot to grab one....

But the may target a OLB....

or

the dreaded BPA

which could be a safety

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like a great spot to grab one....

But the may target a OLB....

or

the dreaded BPA

which could be a safety

I’m not totally sold on John Johnson & Joyner is pricing himself off the team.

Then again Snead usually drafts those types later.

Snead is also on record as saying if it is a RB they will try to trade back for value. Gurley is there guy & a every down back. There is only one ball.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Half those 6th rd picks will be OL.

The Rams only carried 8 Olineman on there roster for most of the season last year .

Why would they waste those picks on late round draft picks ?

I think special team players are the sprinkles late in the draft. Cody Davies signed else where.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMHO I believe the Rams might have something with Blythe (definitely) and Cornelius Lucas, although i need to see more from Lucas. Unlike some, was not impressed with Aaron Neary against the 49ers, but again a small sample size. @bubbaramfan regardless on how many 6th round picks the Los Angeles Rams actually keep, half of them will go more than likely to the offensive line and with one of the best Offensive Line Coaches in the NFL in Aaron Kromer given additional duties overseeing the running game, I actually believe the unit will improve in 2018.

Cornelius Lucas pictured below because some of you wise asses, will inquiry as to why I posted a picture of Greg Robinson.
cornelius-lucas-of-the-los-angeles-rams-during-an-nfl-game-between-picture-id900664140

dang

Legend
I’m not totally sold on John Johnson & Joyner is pricing himself off the team.

Then again Snead usually drafts those types later.

Snead is also on record as saying if it is a RB they will try to trade back for value. Gurley is there guy & a every down back. There is only one ball.
I am confused. The thread is about backup lineman and your response goes to left field about on opinion about safety’s. Also I believed Joyner could be signed for cheaper than the franchise tag but the Rams not Joyner chose to do that. He was a top 5 safety so he did his job inside his of a rookie contract. Don’t hate on Joyner until he insists on an unreasonable contract. He was Probably the biggest surprise on defense last year so what exactly is your issue with his $$$?? It’s obvious Fischer did not utilize his talents.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Cornelius Lucas
cornelius-lucas-of-the-los-angeles-rams-during-an-nfl-game-between-picture-id900664140

Already has 7 starts under his belts and played in 36 games.
So, at least 36 game-day actives in his 3 year career at Detroit and one year with the Rams.

6'9/330. 26 years old.

It would be awesome if Kromer could develop this guy into a game day active for us that could keep up the good play at tackle.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Let's not forget about Eldrenkamp. I think that kid has the ability to be our next starter at center after Sullivan passes the torch.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams only carried 8 Olineman on there roster for most of the season last year .

Why would they waste those picks on late round draft picks ?

I think special team players are the sprinkles late in the draft. Cody Davies signed else where.

Cody Davis is likely replaced by a Safety who will also play Special Teams. I can easily see two or three later round picks as OL depth, even if they don't all make the 53 man roster and some are kept on the practice squad for a season. I'd prefer two of them be OT's and one an OC/OG type. With Whitworth's age and health maintenance along with Havenstein being eligible for free agency following the 2018 season, a couple swing OT's, guys that can comfortably move from OT to OG would be ideal protection with both Saffold & Brown also being eligible for free agency next year. I don't care what round of the draft they come, but the more guys that Kromer can get his hands on to develop the better our odds, and with a year under their belt, we'll have a better feel for whether these positions need addressing again next year as free agency comes into play, or if we have to start the process over again during the 2019 draft. If we can get lucky by drafting talent with lower draft picks now, we avert having to pick high later if we lose guys to age, injury or free agency. jmo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cody Davis is likely replaced by a Safety who will also play Special Teams. I can easily see two or three later round picks as OL depth, even if they don't all make the 53 man roster and some are kept on the practice squad for a season. I'd prefer two of them be OT's and one an OC/OG type. With Whitworth's age and health maintenance along with Havenstein being eligible for free agency following the 2018 season, a couple swing OT's, guys that can comfortably move from OT to OG would be ideal protection with both Saffold & Brown also being eligible for free agency next year. I don't care what round of the draft they come, but the more guys that Kromer can get his hands on to develop the better our odds, and with a year under their belt, we'll have a better feel for whether these positions need addressing again next year as free agency comes into play, or if we have to start the process over again during the 2019 draft. If we can get lucky by drafting talent with lower draft picks now, we avert having to pick high later if we lose guys to age, injury or free agency. jmo.

Makes all the sense in the world. You build through the draft. My biggest point though is Kromer has to have a couple players he really likes ( identifies ) , then Snead needs to position himself in the draft. I think that is why The Rams have all those late round picks.
—The Sammy Watkins trade hurts this draft minus 2nd rd pick .

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMHO I believe the Rams might have something with Blythe (definitely) and Cornelius Lucas, although i need to see more from Lucas. Unlike some, was not impressed with Aaron Neary against the 49ers, but again a small sample size. @bubbaramfan regardless on how many 6th round picks the Los Angeles Rams actually keep, half of them will go more than likely to the offensive line and with one of the best Offensive Line Coaches in the NFL in Aaron Kromer given additional duties overseeing the running game, I actually believe the unit will improve in 2018.

Cornelius Lucas pictured below because some of you wise asses, will inquiry as to why I posted a picture of Greg Robinson.

Speaking off wise asses ? Greg Robinson never seemed to have got the jest of the NFL ? This guy Lucas is 4 inches taller than Greg Rob !

Can Lucas play LT ? Is that what Dunn was brought back to do instead of Darrell Williams?

Yeah Austin Blythe is the next offensive lineman up . He played well in all aspects when called upon.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Let's not forget about Eldrenkamp. I think that kid has the ability to be our next starter at center after Sullivan passes the torch.

The Rams (Kromer) were really high on him . I think he got hurt ? Austin Blythe came out of no where to take both the backup guard & center positions .
The Rams got rid of Andrew I’m more about my looks Donnol . Without even a word . Sort of like Mo Alexander who actually was a starter.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
year in the weight could make a big difference
train

That’s goes for almost all players. It was said you don’t know what you have in a draft class until after the 3rd year.
Year 1 to 2 though for me is take without injury. OTA’s & less time with coaches really can show self discipline.

Ram65

Legend
Hard to know exactly what the Rams have as offensive lineman backups when they don't play much like last year. Blythe seemed good at OC.

Cornelius Lucas is a mammoth of a guy, who some said played real good as a starting RTagainst the 9ers

Some encouraging reports on the mountain man. Kromer is the guy that can get the most out these prospects. Rams always need to try and upgrade. Blythe and Lucas seem like keepers. Draft a couple more.