Av’s FINAL 2021 7 Round Rams Mock Draft (Version 3.0)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Here is my final projection, barring a trade that alters our draft position:

Round 2(57): Elijah Molden, CB, Washington
Version 1.0: Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
Version 2.0: Assante Samuel, Jr., CB, Florida State
For me, this selection came down to targeting a center (Josh Myers or Quinn Meinerz) or a CB. My gut tells me that the Rams will prioritize the CB position. Molden would be an outstanding fit. He is a smart, tough player with pedigree (son of Alex Molden) and would excel in the slot, filling the vacancy left by Troy Hill’s departure. (Alternate choice: Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia)

Round 3(88): Victor Dimujeke, EDGE, Duke
Version 1.0: same
Version 2.0: same
Still like this pick. I think Dimukeje would provide a pass rushing threat behind Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd, and has the size (270 lbs) to do so from the DE spot. With the departure of Samson Ebukam and Morgan Fox, his productivity (16 sacks over past two seasons at Duke) and versatility would be welcome. (Alternate choice: Darius Stills, DL, West Virginia)

Round 3(COMP 103): Spencer Brown, OT, Northern Iowa
Version 1.0: Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina
Version 2.0: Walker Little, OT, Stanford
Both Brown and Little seem to have climbed to a spot in the Top 100, so I’m going with a bit of a flyer on this one. Brown is a bit raw, but his athleticism suggests upside and a strong fit in a zone blocking scheme. He won’t be pressed into action right away with Andrew Whitworth and Rob Havenstein returning, but he could be a future starter. (Alternate choice: David Moore, OG, Grambling)

Round 4(COMP 141): Demetric Felton, WR/RB/KR, UCLA
Version 1.0: Rodarius Williams, CB, Oklahoma State
Version 2.0: same (Felton)
I’m still intrigued by Felton, a RB/WR hybrid, and how someone like Sean McVay could use his abilities. Felton is a guy who might not see the ball a lot, but could be impactful when he gets his chances. (Alternate choice: Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn)

Round 6(183): Drew Dalman, C, Stanford
Version 1.0: Reed Blankenship, S, Middle Tennessee
Version 2.0: Reed Blankenship, S, Middle Tennessee
Recent history suggests that the Rams believe that they can find OL starters late in the draft. Dalman, of course, makes a lot of sense due to his connection to the Rams’ new OL coach, Kevin Carberry, who coached Dalman at Stanford. Dalman had some durability issues, and his size makes him less than ideal for some schemes, but if he’s still on the board at this point, I think he’d be a good choice. (Alternate choice: Drake Jackson, C, Kentucky)

Round 7(215): Reed Blankenship, S, Middle Tennessee
Version 1.0: Spencer Brown, RB, UAB
Version 2.0: Spencer Brown, RB, UAB
Had him previously in Round 6. Hopefully, he’ll be available in Round 7 (still like Brown as a possible undrafted FA signing). Showed some promise, and some durability issues in college. If he can stay healthy, could be a value choice here. With John Johnson gone, depth at this spot is need. (Alternate choice: Caden Sterns, S, Texas)

Last edited:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
My gut agrees with your gut on CB in the 2nd.

Great draft overall! Addresses needs. Great players. Lots of upside. Sets us up next year to be in good shape given that we'll lose some starters. Well done!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My gut agrees with your gut on CB in the 2nd.

Great draft overall! Addresses needs. Great players. Lots of upside. Sets us up next year to be in good shape given that we'll lose some starters. Well done!
Thanks. I went down to the wire debating between Molden or C/OG Quinn Meinerz at #57. In the end, my gut said CB.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Here are some other projections for the Rams' pick at No. 57:

Dane Brugler (The Athletic): Elijah Molden, CB, Washington
Jack Despeaux (Sports Illustrated): JaCoby Stevens, S, LSU
Luke Easterling (The Draft Wire): Jevon Holland, S, Oregon
Austin Gayle (PFF): Jalen Mayfield, OT/OG, Michigan
Vinnie Iyer (Sporting News): Quincy Roche, EDGE, Miami
Mel Kiper (ESPN): Ernest Jones, LB, South Carolina
Todd McShay (ESPN): Chazz Surratt, LB, North Carolina
Rob Rang (Fox): Terrace Marshall, WR, LSU
Michael Renner (PFF): Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky
Chad Reuter (NFL.com): Aaron Robinson, CB, UCF
Seth Trachtman (Yardbreaker): Landon Dickerson, C, Alabama
Chris Trapasso (CBSSports): Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
Ryan Wilson (CBSSports: Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

Todd McShay (ESPN): Chazz Surratt, LB, North Carolina
Rob Rang (Fox): Terrace Marshall, WR, LSU
Michael Renner (PFF): Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky
Chad Reuter (NFL.com): Aaron Robinson, CB, UCF
Seth Trachtman (Yardbreaker): Landon Dickerson, C, Alabama
Chris Trapasso (CBSSports): Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
Ryan Wilson (CBSSports: Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
Nice mock! And on those "experts" I just don't get the safety picks high. It smacks of people who don't pay attention to the roster. I can see one later like you have because if nothing else they're good on teams and can work their way up like Scott has. Robinson and Molden along with Stokes and Joseph are intriguing at that spot. Robert Rochell and Ambry Thomas in the 3rd with Thomas getting a boost for his return ability.

Memphis Ram

Legend
With Ramsey's desire to mix things up and spend some time playing slot CB, I'm not so sure using a 2nd round pick on a slot CB would be a wise move.

Given Staley, Snead, and from what I understood the new DCs preference for length on the EDGE, someone who is 6 1/2" in the 3rd round would be surprising selection.

Methinks Spencer Brown might be off the board given his upside and since so many of the draft classes OTs arms measured shorter than what I've read most teams prefer at the position.

Wouldn't shock me if Dalman was selected in the 3rd round. And by the Rams.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
With Ramsey's desire to mix things up and spend some time playing slot CB, I'm not so sure using a 2nd round pick on a slot CB would be a wise move.
Molden is not merely a slot CB. He’s a versatile DB who can fill many roles, including safety.

Given Staley, Snead, and from what I understood the new DCs preference for length on the EDGE, someone who is 6 1/2" in the 3rd round would be surprising selection.
Dimukeje came in at 6’ 1.5”, 262 at Duke’s Pro Day. Again, I’m focused more on versatility than measurables.

Methinks Spencer Brown might be off the board given his upside and since so many of the draft classes OTs arms measured shorter than what I've read most teams prefer at the position.
Certainly not an issue for Brown, who has 34 3/4 inch arms (and still managed 29 reps - 33 less four deductions due to form - at his pro day).

I think that’s too early for him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Molden is not merely a slot CB. He’s a versatile DB who can fill many roles, including safety.

Dimukeje came in at 6’ 1.5”, 262 at Duke’s Pro Day. Again, I’m focused more on versatility than measurables.

Certainly not an issue for Brown, who has 34 3/4 inch arms (and still managed 29 reps - 33 less four deductions due to form - at his pro day).

I think that’s too early for him.

I recall hearing in a podcast that Molden has played less than 50 snaps at outside CB in 3 seasons.

Brown's length is what may help push him up boards vs. the shorter armed prospects and make it tricky for him to still be available where you have him.

Last edited:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I recall hearing in a podcast that Molden has played less than 50 snaps at outside CB in 3 seasons.

Brown's length is what may help push him up boards vs. the shorter armed prospects and make it tricky for him to still be available where you have him.
You should not be so dismissive.

You presume that the Rams would pass on Molden because he primarily played inside. So did Hill (despite Ramsey being moved around). Molden can also handle some of the coverage assignments that JJ handled. Bottom line...he’s a good football player. He’d help our defense.

As for Brown, maybe he’ll be there, maybe not. You don’t need to keep repeating your opinion.

Memphis Ram

Legend
You should not be so dismissive.

You presume that the Rams would pass on Molden because he primarily played inside. So did Hill (despite Ramsey being moved around). Molden can also handle some of the coverage assignments that JJ handled. Bottom line...he’s a good football player. He’d help our defense.

As for Brown, maybe he’ll be there, maybe not. You don’t need to keep repeating your opinion.

I don't recall Hill playing mostly slot CB in college.

Molden is a very good football player and I don't know what the Rams are going to do.

But, I do believe that the team would be better off if they can keep Ramsey from getting bored on defense.

Brown? I wasn't sure you got my point in regards to the OT class. That's all.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I don't recall Hill playing mostly slot CB in college.
I was referring to his role with the Rams last year, which is obvious is you read my entire comment, including the parenthetical.

I got your point about Brown. I just don’t necessarily agree with it. He might go earlier, he might not.

Don’t get me wrong...I enjoy feedback. You just need to tone down a bit.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I was referring to his role with the Rams last year, which is obvious is you read my entire comment, including the parenthetical.

I got your point about Brown. I just don’t necessarily agree with it. He might go earlier, he might not.

Don’t get me wrong...I enjoy feedback. You just need to tone down a bit.

My bad. I thought it was well known that Hill being capable (though somewhat debatable) playing both outside and in the slot was key in Ramsey being able to move around so much. But, nevermind.

I'm not sure what there is to tone down by simply offering an opinion, but that won't be a problem anymore. Go Rams.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really like Molden he's one tough little MFer. But the prob with them taking a slot is if Ramsey moves there for certain matchups you have a guy who can't go outside. So it makes more sense to me to get an outside the hash type (anticipating Williams' departure) who can play inside/out. Also you can get slots well after 57 which allows for a stronger draft class if you fill that slot later and get another position of impact at 57.

Also I like the addition of a DE for 5T who has some strength to him. I think that's been overlooked as a need for us in the media but we'll find out here soon whether I'm off in left field on that.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Here is my final projection, barring a trade that alters our draft position:

Round 2(57): Elijah Molden, CB, Washington
Version 1.0: Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
Version 2.0: Assante Samuel, Jr., CB, Florida State
For me, this selection came down to targeting a center (Josh Myers or Quinn Meinerz) or a CB. My gut tells me that the Rams will prioritize the CB position. Molden would be an outstanding fit. He is a smart, tough player with pedigree (son of Alex Molden) and would excel in the slot, filling the vacancy left by Troy Hill’s departure. (Alternate choice: Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia)

Round 3(88): Victor Dimujeke, EDGE, Duke
Version 1.0: same
Version 2.0: same
Still like this pick. I think Dimukeje would provide a pass rushing threat behind Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd, and has the size (270 lbs) to do so from the DE spot. With the departure of Samson Ebukam and Morgan Fox, his productivity (16 sacks over past two seasons at Duke) and versatility would be welcome. (Alternate choice: Darius Stills, DL, West Virginia)

Round 3(COMP 103): Spencer Brown, OT, Northern Iowa
Version 1.0: Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina
Version 2.0: Walker Little, OT, Stanford
Both Brown and Little seem to have climbed to a spot in the Top 100, so I’m going with a bit of a flyer on this one. Brown is a bit raw, but his athleticism suggests upside and a strong fit in a zone blocking scheme. He won’t be pressed into action right away with Andrew Whitworth and Rob Havenstein returning, but he could be a future starter. (Alternate choice: David Moore, OG, Grambling)

Round 4(COMP 141): Demetric Felton, WR/RB/KR, UCLA
Version 1.0: Rodarius Williams, CB, Oklahoma State
Version 2.0: same (Felton)
I’m still intrigued by Felton, a RB/WR hybrid, and how someone like Sean McVay could use his abilities. Felton is a guy who might not see the ball a lot, but could be impactful when he gets his chances. (Alternate choice: Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn)

Round 6(183): Drew Dalman, C, Stanford
Version 1.0: Reed Blankenship, S, Middle Tennessee
Version 2.0: Reed Blankenship, S, Middle Tennessee
Recent history suggests that the Rams believe that they can find OL starters late in the draft. Dalman, of course, makes a lot of sense due to his connection to the Rams’ new OL coach, Kevin Carberry, who coached Dalman at Stanford. Dalman had some durability issues, and his size makes him less than ideal for some schemes, but if he’s still on the board at this point, I think he’d be a good choice. (Alternate choice: Drake Jackson, C, Kentucky)

Round 7(215): Reed Blankenship, S, Middle Tennessee
Version 1.0: Spencer Brown, RB, UAB
Version 2.0: Spencer Brown, RB, UAB
Had him previously in Round 6. Hopefully, he’ll be available in Round 7 (still like Brown as a possible undrafted FA signing). Showed some promise, and some durability issues in college. If he can stay healthy, could be a value choice here. With John Johnson gone, depth at this spot is need. (Alternate choice: Caden Sterns, S, Texas)
Avenger,
Like this draft a lot. My only question is why you would want to select a hybrid like D. Felton?
He seems to be Tavon Austin 2.0, and we know how that turned out.
Besides at that point in the draft I gotta believe there would be a decent front seven prospect available ( 5 tech or ILb, etc.)

~ArkyRamsFan~

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Avenger,
Like this draft a lot. My only question is why you would want to select a hybrid like D. Felton?
He seems to be Tavon Austin 2.0, and we know how that turned out.
Besides at that point in the draft I gotta believe there would be a decent front seven prospect available ( 5 tech or ILb, etc.)

~ArkyRamsFan~
Les Snead made some comments about playmakers that made me think they’d like a Swiss Army Knife like Felton. Just a hunch.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Dalman in round 3? Man I hope not. He looks like Blythe 2.0

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim