Austin Pettis..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

reggae

False. Pettis splits his reps between the Y and X/Z spots almost equally. Which means he's versatile enough to line up wherever you want him and he'll know what to do and where to be. Which means he knows the whole playbook. My contention with your original post in this thread was that he's a 3 or 5 yard receiver who falls down and has *no* ability to get behind a defense, so I just gave you 4 videos where that wasn't the case (e.g., not remotely accurate). You also saw him notice that the QB was scrambling and got open (scramble drill).

Look, I know he's not the most athletically gifted guy on the team, but he's absolutely the most rounded. And if the QB of the team directly states that it's Pettis who he has the most trust in, then how can he be so bad? He's tied for the most TDs on this team over the past two years, so he's doing something right. And if he gets unseated by someone like Quick or Bailey, then that's fine too. But *until* one of them is able to do that, then you don't throw out the baby with the bath water.
Well, I can't see your videos. They don't show up on an iPad. But, I can tell you this. Pettis' 9.5YPC lifetime avg is not going to make it on the outside going forward.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Pettis is pretty good, but then again so was Dane Looker.

I think this is the year he gets cut, but we'll see. If he does get cut, most likely won't be till after the Bailey suspension is up...

Ol' Dane Looker. Another guy who played well here as a WR and a STer but fans kept wanting to replace with training camp heroes. His 47 receptions in I believe 2003 as the 3rd WR looks almost HOF-like after the last 3 or 4 years.

He's not a Jeff Fisher guy, simple. Same reason we'll be keeping Cook and letting Kendricks walk at the end of the season.

UkRam83

UDFA
The reason I think he is left out is that he has never really done anything to separate himself. Yes he is good in the Red Zone and catches well, but other than that he doesn't separate from his cover and doesn't flash the potential to develop like the rest. Pettis is just there for depth.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
He's not a Jeff Fisher guy, simple. Same reason we'll be keeping Cook and letting Kendricks walk at the end of the season.
Kendricks' blocking is a very important key piece to our running game, if we have great success with our running O, there is no way in hell I see us letting Kendricks walk.

Kendricks' blocking is a very important key piece to our running game, if we have great success with our running O, there is no way in hell I see us letting Kendricks walk.

I just don't see us having the money to re-sign him, if we weren't paying Cook vastly above his actual value then sure but unfortunately we are.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Guy's good at what he does, while he's not going to be shattering any speed records, he can and has broken past defenses, but he doesn't do it consistently enough to be considered a speed option. His bread and butter is his size and his reliable hands, making him a great option for the red zone, which he is. Our redzone scoring has been abysmal, the few times that it worked was because of Pettis and his ability to jump up and get it when we need him to, making him a reliable receiver and one of the few constant Bradford's had in a while. Basically an Amendola that can actually stay on the field.

He may not have much potential, and while I do think he's already closing in on reaching his ceiling, there's nothing wrong with that. Just because he's not a number 1, future Jerry Rice doesn't make him a bad option, and until other people show up and prove that he's expendable I think Pettis will be entrenched in our roster.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I just don't see us having the money to re-sign him, if we weren't paying Cook vastly above his actual value then sure but unfortunately we are.
Who knows. Maybe he won't command as much and give us a hometown discount. I would like to think they would consider restructuring Cook because his play was not worthy of that contract and if Kendricks excels being the blocking/passing threat, keeping both would be vital.

fearsomefour

Legend
There is a place on this team for Pettis for sure.
He has good hands and is a possession guy, which has become a dirty word.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Pettis is one of those 'Tangable' pieces you always need on a Team, Always reliable!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I won't lose any sleep if Pettis doesn't make the team. BUT I do want him out there in redzone packages with Quick and Cook. Or Quick and Britt. Any combo of those guys. All those tall athletic players would make our red zone success so much better. And Pettis is already a red zone stud. He's perfect as a #5 or #6 receiver. That being said, I wouldn't cut Britt, Quick, Austin, or Bailey to keep him. For me, he's battling with Givens, and Blake. Along with the other UDFAs with little chance to make the team. I give him the leg up on all of these guys. Because he offers something they dont. Givens has speed. So does Tavon. Quick and Britt are also pretty fast. Blake, and Franklin offer the pretty catches. So does Quick and Britt. Moe is a decent slot guy, but we have a bunch of those. We dont really have any PROVEN red zone guys aside from Pettis. Therefore he gets my vote to stay, unless someone else proves they deserve it more.

RamWoodie

Legend
Pettis is what he is...a sure handed reliable WR that has a real knack on 3rd down. What's wrong with that?

When it comes to Givens...I'm a bit puzzled, however I think he's got the message he better step up. That guy is a burner. In 2 years, 76 receptions for 1267 yards is not something you throw away.

For the sake of argument, neither are getting cut. If one has to go they will bring something in trade.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Welcome to ROD @TXRams86 - I like Pettis, he's not flashy, but he's reliable, I love his physicality but it's the guy's hands, they are good. I still think we have room for all of our receivers, after all he has a better track record than Quick. Let all the hype be about 'Ron Jeremy' Britt and 'Gonna have a breakthrough year' Quick, give me the odd 20-30 yarder or the 5 yard dink, or the Redzone catch, just keep the chains moving baby...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He's just weird. Kinda reminds me of a giraffe when he runs. And when he catches his legs go in awkward positions. He's a good player to have, tho. Like that WR from Philly Jason Avant.

Plus he's remained through the Spags/Linny roster purge by this current GM and coach, so he's doing something right.

Greg Stone

Rookie
I think the frustration over the entire WR corps gets dumped on Pettis because, if the other guys lived up to their potential Pettis would get very few snaps.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Pettis can be serious clutch;

I think he's one of those guys that just "fits" on any roster. He might not be the guy that takes over a game, but you need need players like Pettis.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If Pettis was cut today. He wouldn't start on 31 other NFL teams.....I doubt he'd be in the rotation....People were hyped about Salas too, and I knew if he got cut here (actually ended up traded I think) he'd never play any role again. As I often say, we got the wrong guy from Boise.....