Austin Pettis..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TXRams86

The Infamous
granted, i came over from the Rams Talk forums and we all know the sh*t talking that goes on there.
so, maybe ROD doesn't share the same ideas as they do over there, and maybe this argument isn't relevant here.
but today i got to thinking, what's the knock on Austin Pettis?
sure he doesn't have elite speed, isn't a "playmaker" or game changer.
but what the dude DOES have is size, ability to catch almost everything thrown his way and runs pretty decent routes.
yet he always seems to be the odd man out at WR when fans speak of him.
so...what is it? maybe i'm in the minority, but come cut time, i'd rather keep him over Givens.

reggae

granted, i came over from the Rams Talk forums and we all know the sh*t talking that goes on there.
so, maybe ROD doesn't share the same ideas as they do over there, and maybe this argument isn't relevant here.
but what the dude DOES have is size, ability to catch almost everything thrown his way and runs pretty decent routes.
so...what is it? maybe i'm in the minority, but come cut time, i'd rather keep him over Givens.
Umm, sure he's fine at running the 5 yard fall down pattern. He can probably even get 3 yards after he stumbles. But, stumble he will. But, he has no ability to get behind the defense. So, that makes him a slot guy. We have an abundance of slot guys. Bailey being our best. Then Cook, then Austin. Even Quick has been running from te slot this year. Starting to get the picture.

PhxRam

Pettis gets his fair share of negative criticism, but I like to compare him (IMO) to the GSOT version of Ricky Proehl.

He might not be the most athletic of guys out there but I know if I need a guy to catch a ball in a tight window with the game on the line, I am looking at Pettis.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Pettis has been underrated by Rams fans. He's got the most reliable hands on the team and he's not afraid to go over the middle.

I like him as a depth receiver.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If ya ain't a star ,yer gonna get some hate,it's that way

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Umm, sure he's fine at running the 5 yard fall down pattern. He can probably even get 3 yards after he stumbles. But, stumble he will. But, he has no ability to get behind the defense. So, that makes him a slot guy. We have an abundance of slot guys. Bailey being our best. Then Cook, then Austin. Even Quick has been running from te slot this year. Starting to get the picture.
Not even remotely accurate.

TXRams86

The Infamous
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks -X- for the videos and everyone who replied to the thread.
i've seen Pettis produce on the field and i agree with PhxRam saying he reliable hands.
i can't begin to count how many times we've been on 3rd down and Pettis being called on to make a difficult catch (over the middle even).
hope the guy makes this year's cuts.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Pettis is a Red Zone beast. His length and great hands allows him to be the most effective in tight spaces. I do beleive he's more valuable than Givens, almost a polar opposite WR.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's solid player. I would keep him on the team. I thought his route running and release vs. the press really showed major signs of improvement last year. And he's always been arguably Sam's favorite red-zone target. I like him as a role player here. Can play any of the WR spots.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
just seems like he's a pair of hands that does nothing before or after the catch but just a guy that the D sometimes sleeps on. sometimes he makes the 3rd down conversion and sometimes not. but Bailey is a complete package with the best hands on offense to knock him possibly off the roster if quick pans out and givens holds on. Baileys the real slot man IMO. not excluding Tavons rotation

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I agree with most of the above posts. Great red zone guy and pretty reliable most of the time. He is a good piece in this offense and dont see any reason why he shouldn't be.

TXRams86

The Infamous
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
just seems like he's a pair of hands that does nothing before or after the catch but just a guy that the D sometimes sleeps on. sometimes he makes the 3rd down conversion and sometimes not. but Bailey is a complete package with the best hands on offense to knock him possibly off the roster if quick pans out and givens holds on. Baileys the real slot man IMO. not excluding Tavons rotation
by no means am i trying to compare him to Bailey. Bailey is going to be something special in my opinion.
if i'm comparing him to a player (and i did) in terms of keeping a roster spot, it's Givens.
sure, Givens can play the outside, has the speed...what else though? i feel Pettis has earned that roster spot and would be a bit upset if he lost it to Givens.

lockdnram21

Legend
by no means am i trying to compare him to Bailey. Bailey is going to be something special in my opinion.
if i'm comparing him to a player (and i did) in terms of keeping a roster spot, it's Givens.
sure, Givens can play the outside, has the speed...what else though? i feel Pettis has earned that roster spot and would be a bit upset if he lost it to Givens.

Didn't Givens prove him self his rookie year? If Quick or Britt open things up He can tear the top off of defenses like he did his rookie year. I would rather keep Givens if I had to pick 1.

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
He's not flashy, and certainly not a burner with speed, but he has great hands and a rapport with #8 in the red zone. We have enough legit threats now with Tavon and Britt, but a sure handed guy is always welcome.

BTW, great vids X!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
If Givens can impress coaches again as a deep threat option on certain packages than he'll beat him out but if not then I agree keep Pettis as a backup over Givens

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Pettis over Givens. Givens had 10 or 12 good plays the year before last and was one of the worst WRs I've ever seen last year. He doesn't go over the middle, runs poor routes, had average to below average hands, and never comes back to the ball when the QB runs. No field awareness. If Britt and Quick pan out, and after Bailey gets back, you need a reliable 4th who can make the catch over the middle or underneath when the defense follows the top 2 WRs down the field. Someone who is where he is supposed to be, can fight for the ball, and make the 1st down catch as the 2nd or 3rd option. Givens doesn't do any of those things. Sometimes a team can have too many Hakims and not enough Proehls.

Someone mentioned that Givens proved himself his rookie year. Whatever he proved then, he destroyed last year, IMO. He looked soft, dumb, and lazy last year. Hopefully he can turn that around this year, since we won't be cutting either Pettis or Givens.

reggae

Not even remotely accurate.

We'll, you don't agree. That's all well and good. But to say it is not remotely accurate is presumptuous at best. I don't see Pettis getting many reps on the outside this year. That means the reps he does get will be on short yardage. Predominantly from the slot. True or false?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We'll, you don't agree. That's all well and good. But to say it is not remotely accurate is presumptuous at best. I don't see Pettis getting many reps on the outside this year. That means the reps he does get will be on short yardage. Predominantly from the slot. True or false?
False. Pettis splits his reps between the Y and X/Z spots almost equally. Which means he's versatile enough to line up wherever you want him and he'll know what to do and where to be. Which means he knows the whole playbook. My contention with your original post in this thread was that he's a 3 or 5 yard receiver who falls down and has *no* ability to get behind a defense, so I just gave you 4 videos where that wasn't the case (e.g., not remotely accurate). You also saw him notice that the QB was scrambling and got open (scramble drill).

Look, I know he's not the most athletically gifted guy on the team, but he's absolutely the most rounded. And if the QB of the team directly states that it's Pettis who he has the most trust in, then how can he be so bad? He's tied for the most TDs on this team over the past two years, so he's doing something right. And if he gets unseated by someone like Quick or Bailey, then that's fine too. But *until* one of them is able to do that, then you don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

MrMotes

Starter
Pettis is pretty good, but then again so was Dane Looker.

I think this is the year he gets cut, but we'll see. If he does get cut, most likely won't be till after the Bailey suspension is up...