Austin Blythe to Chiefs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Austin is crap on the second level. He's got poor mobility and most of all poor field vision. It's why he's constantly missing late blitzes and stunts and unless his target is a standing target on the second level all too often he blocks no one. Like I have said he's the only NFL center I've seen fall on his face trying to pull by tripping over himself. Read his draft profile and all the negatives about him being a poor blocker are still his problems. He simply never has improved. Many players strengthen when they get to the NFL. Not Austin, he's as understrength now as he was as a rookie. That should tell you something.

FaulkSF is correct when he says "I wouldn't be celebrating Austin's arrival. He has a huge problem getting his pad level underneath pass rushers, anchoring to establish power, using proper leverage, and being a second or too late on his blocks. This has led to Blythe getting pushed back into the quarterback.

It's no secret he's not a stout center and teams would pass rush and run blitz over center. It's why McVay called so many designed rollouts for Goff to neutralize Blythe getting beaten. "

His contract would indicate he's looking at a backup role. His guaranteed number would suggest they assume he will make the team, which means the other guys are total crap. I doubt if the Rams ever made an offer. Wouldn't surprise me if this is his last season in the NFL. Cameron DaSilva's comments shows just how little he understands football. Does he even watch the games? Weak with poor mobility and poor field vision are a poor combination for an offensive lineman. McVay tried to talk him up in the media LOL.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are we still mourning the loss of such an integral piece of the Rams offense?

*gargles Draino.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1379529848826208256

Austin Blythe was an overachiever & Ram Fans should be PROUD of a Player
& helping them to a SuperBowl as the starting RB. Plus his value to help keep The Rams with there winning ways.

RB??
1617754171185.gif

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Say What ??? RB

Yeah KC drafted the first RB in 2020.

The Rams selected Cam Akers who looked better than Todd Gurley ? If not his future is better than TG31 or TG26?
I can’t keep up though.

Brian Allen ??? He might at least be an addition as a goal line FG. Just how you want to look at this. I guess know he would be to small.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Blythe was offered 200k more by Rams, but he still chose Chiefs. (According to Les interview with Jourdan, sorry no link).

A few things:

1.Rams still wanted him, but not enough.
2. Blythe strikes me as a "Midwest guy", not a "glitzy LA guy." Blythe was born in KC, went to college in Iowa, has family in Midwest. I think Blythe honestly preferred KC to LA.
3. Blythe also figured his chances of landing a starting spot were higher in KC than LA. In LA, there's really only one spot up for grabs (center), and he'd probably have to compete with the Rams' top pick. In KC though, they're revamping their entire OL, and his chances of being a starter are probably greater.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
We're going to be the first NFL team to experiment with no one playing center.

Which would literally be a better experiment than dare I say it, the first female center.

Tano

Legend
Blythe was offered 200k more by Rams, but he still chose Chiefs. (According to Les interview with Jourdan, sorry no link).

A few things:

1.Rams still wanted him, but not enough.
2. Blythe strikes me as a "Midwest guy", not a "glitzy LA guy." Blythe was born in KC, went to college in Iowa, has family in Midwest. I think Blythe honestly preferred KC to LA.
3. Blythe also figured his chances of landing a starting spot were higher in KC than LA. In LA, there's really only one spot up for grabs (center), and he'd probably have to compete with the Rams' top pick. In KC though, they're revamping their entire OL, and his chances of being a starter are probably greater.
And you know what - anyone still wanting Blythe to be their center should rewatch the Jets game

In the first four series, Blythe allowed two sacks and a blitzer to come in untouched while blocking no one to hit our QBs arm when he was attempting a long pass to the one time that a receiver was open deep in these four series. Worst perfomance by a center in a half that I have ever seen.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And you know what - anyone still wanting Blythe to be their center should rewatch the Jets game

In the first four series, Blythe allowed two sacks and a blitzer to come in untouched while blocking no one to hit our QBs arm when he was attempting a long pass to the one time that a receiver was open deep in these four series. Worst perfomance by a center in a half that I have ever seen.

What’s your suggestion besides not bringing Austin Blythe back like The Rams did.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Which would literally be a better experiment than dare I say it, the first female center.

How would that go down without a Center,since you said it.
Then again what would having no center look like ?? Really curious

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Austin is crap on the second level. He's got poor mobility and most of all poor field vision. It's why he's constantly missing late blitzes and stunts and unless his target is a standing target on the second level all too often he blocks no one. Like I have said he's the only NFL center I've seen fall on his face trying to pull by tripping over himself. Read his draft profile and all the negatives about him being a poor blocker are still his problems. He simply never has improved. Many players strengthen when they get to the NFL. Not Austin, he's as understrength now as he was as a rookie. That should tell you something.

FaulkSF is correct when he says "I wouldn't be celebrating Austin's arrival. He has a huge problem getting his pad level underneath pass rushers, anchoring to establish power, using proper leverage, and being a second or too late on his blocks. This has led to Blythe getting pushed back into the quarterback.

It's no secret he's not a stout center and teams would pass rush and run blitz over center. It's why McVay called so many designed rollouts for Goff to neutralize Blythe getting beaten. "

His contract would indicate he's looking at a backup role. His guaranteed number would suggest they assume he will make the team, which means the other guys are total crap. I doubt if the Rams ever made an offer. Wouldn't surprise me if this is his last season in the NFL. Cameron DaSilva's comments shows just how little he understands football. Does he even watch the games? Weak with poor mobility and poor field vision are a poor combination for an offensive lineman. McVay tried to talk him up in the media LOL.

You laugh & you joke.Talk Crap about Austin Blythe.Mcvay gives him credit for running the offensive line.Honestly I’ve never been a big Fan of AUSTIN BLYTHE as a starter.
How The Rams have handled The Offensive line in itself has been interesting.I get it though in the fact they Trust there Players.
—If I’m wrong let’s hear it.

My point being The Rams know what they want in regards to there roster.They value some positions & players more than others. Austin Blythe was a player The Rams valued up until now.
Saying Blythe called certain plays because of Blythe & other plays to protect Goff are way off IMO.Both players are no longer Rams so we as Ram Fans don’t have to worry about those 2.
Austin Blythe was just signed by a 2 time SuperBowl team though.No matter what YOUR saying about his value as a RAM is not VALID.I’ve seen him pick up delayed blintzes many of times.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How would that go down without a Center,since you said it.
Then again what would having no center look like ?? Really curious
Go off what Snead said in his last interview...He mentioned that they felt comfortable with OL they already had to fill the position. He didn’t seem concerned at all...

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Blythe was a bad player, no team would want to sign him. He has proven that he belongs at this level. I wish him and his family the best of luck moving forward. With that being said, I hope he makes it to the superbowl and the Rams take the Chiefs out.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Blythe was a bad player, no team would want to sign him. He has proven that he belongs at this level. I wish him and his family the best of luck moving forward. With that being said, I hope he makes it to the superbowl and the Rams take the Chiefs out.
Maybe, or there is such lack of talent at the position that even mediocre players can find a job. Last time I heard was that he was competing for a position with the Chief and isn’t named as the starter. In any case, we are moving on...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Go off what Snead said in his last interview...He mentioned that they felt comfortable with OL they already had to fill the position. He didn’t seem concerned at all...

Totally agree - Brian Allen was The Rams starting Center in 2019 without any experience.

When Brian Allen was The Rams starting Center he had Joe Noteboom who also had no starting experience LG experience starting.

add— Austin Blythe
-This is a thread I started when Austin Blythe was before he was signed to a 1 year contract in 2019 to be The Rams starting RG.Saffold was a FA signing with Tennessee. Then he was resigned as The Rams starting Center in 2020.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I as a RAMS Fan want The Dawg Pound to be a Thing Again.F” Baltimore & Indy for taking them ??
Not bitter - just saying.

—J Johnson & Troy Hill helped The Rams defense become the number 1 rated in 2020. Sunday mornings will be a little more fun.

I’d say I’d like to see Austin Blythe start in KC. In Fact I wouldn’t mind him not picking up a couple of those delayed Blitz's

Tano

Legend
What’s your suggestion besides not bringing Austin Blythe back like The Rams did.
My suggestion would have been to draft Biadasz instead of Hopkins last year and get him up to speed for this year. But the Rams screwed up big time last year and now they are up shit creek unless one of their unproven players Allen, Anchrum, etc can handle the center position.

I know Snead says he is confident about the position but he was also confident about Blythe last year and no matter what they say about how Blythe played, he was at best a below average center.

Someone who can come in and handle the position for a few games but not important games.

That's why KC is paying him that low rate this year. He is okay (and I mean that in the just barely category) as a backup which is his pay rate now. He is being paid to be a back-up and that's what I expect to see him as.

The Rams are huge super bowl contenders this year because Stafford has the qualities McVay is looking for in a quarterback and can probably be awesome for his system. I have looked at the games last year and McVay went ultra conservative in some of his game plans. In the Jets game as an example, only two or three plays (I will admit I might have missed one or two others) in the first half had any receiver go farther than 20 yards in the route. Almost every one of McVays plays were designed for quick 5 - 15 passes. Not to go into why but I think Stafford with a very capable center will change McVays game plans this year.

And I am worried that if we don't get an above average center, Stafford is either going to get killed or McVay will have to call quick pass plays again or hope Staffords mobility will buy him time to find someone deep. I will say Stafford is definitely really good at the third option. Stafford did get sacked a lot last year but I blame a lot of that on Detroit's OC and their defense since he was playing from behind quite a bit.

I will say that one of the first 3 picks has got to be a center. they may have to trade up in the third round to get their guy.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
Blythe is a smart blue collar OL. As a result his floor is NFL player grade. The problem is there is little room between his floor and his ceiling. His ceiling is not NFL starter grade.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Blythe is a smart blue collar OL. As a result his floor is NFL player grade. The problem is there is little room between his floor and his ceiling. His ceiling is not NFL starter grade.

Exactly- Austin Blythe was such a awesome stop gap player for The Rams.He took The Rams to the SuperBowl.
He was apart of a Ram RB Top 10 season with Todd Gurley while having to start at RG. We are talking about a swing C/G Backup Player,who’s call of duty was to be a starter.He was signed to Poor 1 year contracts by numbers.He was a magic figure for the salary cap.He is tough as nails who had to take over the starting Center Spot with 2 late Round 22 year old Rookies & a player Les Snead traded for mid-season for a 2020 5th rd pick.
Andrew Whitworth being The Veteran & team leader in the huddle,it was Austin Blythe making all The Play Calls for the O’-Line.
I’m not a Big Stat guy,but one stat that is Pretty Awesome is SACKS.Ram Fans should know DEACON JONES was one of The Best in NFL History.There is only 1 problem with that.QB Sacks were not recorded back then.
It’s Easy for RAM (Sports) FANS to be HATERS & talk CRAP about Players.I’m very good with that.The thing is is there are certain players that are overachievers.They play at The Highest Levels.Help teams achieve there goals,all while being such a big part of it.As a OC Angels & Rams Fan who always LOVvED The Rams even when they Sucked & went to St.Louis. Lossing 19 straight to that one team that has always been in that division & have a St.Louis type of example.
HATE The Angels & Mike Trout ERA.My dad died during it & was the worst years.Albert Pulhus is say The Todd Gurley if The Rams kept him.Then you have a little guy like David Eckstien who takes the Angels to a World Series & then signs with St. Louis & does the same. Austin Blythe can go to Missouri & help KC win a SuperBowl.He is a lesser player,but the example is some what fitting.

The Rams Offensive Line gave up the fewest Sacks in The NFL in 2019.Like I said I am not a stat guy,but The Rams O”Line with an injured Blythe was not the reason The Rams didn’t make the Playoffs.