Austin Blythe to Chiefs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SONOFA ~ Matthew Stafford

Welcome our new UDFA Center
zMGPV1R.jpg

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I‘m wondering just how much influence Carberry has had on Rams 2021 strategy at Center.

I have to assume it’s been a great deal of influence.

Let’s see...

There’s been no apparent pursuit of top drawer FA’s like Linsley.

No apparent pursuit of 2nd tier C’s, either. The 2nd tier remaining C candidates are down to a small handful.

The only two things one can logically deduce at this point is that either the Rams strongly believe that their starter at C is already on the roster.

OR...

They intend to put all their eggs at C in the draft, maybe as high as 57?

Unless they have semi-finalized a trade for a vet C?

Anybody see any other options for this critical position that’s an apparent gaping hole to we fans? I, for one, am getting a bit antsy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I‘m wondering just how much influence Carberry has had on Rams 2021 strategy at Center.

I have to assume it’s been a great deal of influence.

Let’s see...

There’s been no apparent pursuit of top drawer FA’s like Linsley.

No apparent pursuit of 2nd tier C’s, either. The 2nd tier remaining C candidates are down to a small handful.

The only two things one can logically deduce at this point is that either the Rams strongly believe that their starter at C is already on the roster.

OR...

They intend to put all their eggs at C in the draft, maybe as high as 57?

Unless they have semi-finalized a trade for a vet C?

Anybody see any other options for this critical position that’s an apparent gaping hole to we fans? I, for one, am getting a bit antsy.
Then there is also the possible trade of a Ram NON-center OL'erfor a starting center during the draft outcome.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Wow. Blythe gets a lot of shit here but be careful what you wish for. Below average starter but solid backup.

Prepare to be extremely disappointed if Brian Allen is anyone's hope.

Yup. Whipping boy. Good enough to get an offer from another NFL team tho.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
With McSnead, Rams always have a plan, and a damn smart one.

This whole C conundrum is weird, because it's awfully hard to see what "the plan" is.

Are Rams locked in to taking an interior OL with their first pick, and seemingly don't care if everyone knows it?

Or do they have faith that Corbett can play C, with Evans at G?

Or faith in Anchrum?

Or is there a plan in place to move up in draft, because there are a few interior OL prospects they think can start on day one?

Or some weird trade for a vet possible, along with reworking Stafford's contract?

Lot of possibilities, but they all sound kinda risky...

What's the plan at C, Rams?!??!? We can't take the suspense much longer...!

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have no doubt the Rams brain trust is aware of the weakness at Center and interior, but i believe that they have no intention of paying a Center(or Guard) any substantial money, which is why the narrative that they have generally ignored those positions in FA and let Saffold walk exists.

This may be true but consider these things: this is the age of college spread offenses, it creates a shortage of good quality Olinemen coming out of college, and the premium that good Offensive linemen command in free agency, tells us that is true.

So those days of finding a good Olinemen in the later rounds of the draft and then being the lowest players in the field are over. I think if what you say is their philosophy is true that it’s outdated and a real gamble. It didn’t work with the Noteboom/Allen draft. If Edwards hadn’t fallen due to injury it wouldn’t have worked with the Evans/Edwards draft.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I like BonifayRam’s thought.

Namely trade Ram non-Center OL for another team’s starting Center.

‘This idea has merit, IMO.

May I suggest Hav as our offering?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
With McSnead, Rams always have a plan, and a damn smart one.

This whole C conundrum is weird, because it's awfully hard to see what "the plan" is.

Are Rams locked in to taking an interior OL with their first pick, and seemingly don't care if everyone knows it?

Or do they have faith that Corbett can play C, with Evans at G?

Or faith in Anchrum?

Or is there a plan in place to move up in draft, because there are a few interior OL prospects they think can start on day one?

Or some weird trade for a vet possible, along with reworking Stafford's contract?

Lot of possibilities, but they all sound kinda risky...

What's the plan at C, Rams?!??!? We can't take the suspense much longer...!

We're going to be the first NFL team to experiment with no one playing center.

dang

Legend
I like BonifayRam’s thought.

Namely trade Ram non-Center OL for another team’s starting Center.

‘This idea has merit, IMO.

May I suggest Hav as our offering?
for whom (as example)?

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO it will come down to Allen or Shelton. I think Allen will be ahead of Shelton because of his experience but I think Shelton brings more to the table.

I find it amusing that the pro-Blythe camp denigrates Allen as a poor blocker but seem to overlook Blythe's blocking issues. The fact is both Allen, and Shelton are better blockers, and more mobile. This o-line suffered from not having a mobile center to make those critical second-level blocks in the run game. Lets us not forget his team leading 4 sacks he gave up along with who knows how many pressures. He helped to get Goff run out of town with the 2019 o-line fiasco.

But enough of that, he's history hopefully. I really think this o-line will transition to a power-run attack. We saw how McVay tried to use his TE's as a lead blocker with no success. If the Rams sign a FB either in the draft or as a priority FA that will be the final piece. But regardless Carberry seems to prefer an inside run attack, inside zone or gap blocking. That can be run without a lead blocker but you need a mobile C capable of making a block on the second level. Blythe simply couldn't do it and I think that was why he's not on the team. McVay has used the Shanahan outside zone-blocking run to death. An inside run game gives Sean far more options in his play design and I honestly believe that a strong inside run attack lends itself to better play action. A strong inside run attack creates deep strike opportunities to the outside receivers.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
True.
But, the FO doesn’t seem as concerned as the fans do.

I recall them liking center prospects in the last three drafts. They just either didn’t play it right or couldn’t get to a high enough position to pick them.

So maybe they really want one, but they want one cheap. At least they’ve been looking.