Around the League: State of the 2022 Detroit Lions - Will the team break through?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Goff gets us to the SB vs the Bengals what happens when OBJ goes down, no Woods, the run game is non existent and guys like Skoronek, and Hopkins are running routes? Ughhh. You know. Nothing clutch. Dinking, dunking, overthrows, INT’s, fumbles….Yuck.

you just described the rams offense till the final drive.

then they said fuck it, just go to kupp. luckily, stafford was good enough to get it done.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'll do you one better, is there any QB that you could put in Stafford's place under those circumstances and expect to win?
Not me
Maybe Mahomes?
Rams dont win that SB without Stafford, no way no how
And if Goff was still a Ram, he'd be the best QB in the NFC west. But he cant hold Stafford's jock
You and I are almost on the same page here I think.

I think there are a handful of QB’s that could have elevated and won our Super Bowl. Only the elite guys though. Brady,
Mahomey, Rodgers, maybe Allen. Stafford proved to me, at least with that playoff run, that he belongs in that category as well.

IMO Goff is very close to making that career transition from poor/middling QB to very good backup QB. I’d take Murray and all of his poor body language over Goff.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
“ He went from awful to pretty good to average to bad in his career”.
Awful to start?? I strongly disagree if you are talking about him taking over at QB on a pathetic Rams offense his rookie year.
Bad?? Again I strongly disagree. Yes he had bad games but he’s never been bad even starting out with the Lions.
Yeah he was awful his rookie year, worse than Keenum in the same bad offense.

We can disagree over the verbiage to describe the last 2 years of his career I suppose. I say he’s been bad, yeah. All the turnovers, the slowed mechanics, no threat to win with his arm etc…he was benched.

What word would you use to describe his play in 2020 and w/the Lions?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
you just described the rams offense till the final drive.

then they said fuck it, just go to kupp. luckily, stafford was good enough to get it done.

So “they” stepped up and elevated the offense? Who is they?

Wouldn’t “they” be the same coaches and supporting cast that were here when Goff couldn’t score, threaten deep, evade a rush or protect the ball?

I’m not sure what you’re disputing brutha.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You and I are almost on the same page here I think.

I think there are a handful of QB’s that could have elevated and won our Super Bowl. Only the elite guys though. Brady,
Mahomey, Rodgers, maybe Allen. Stafford proved to me, at least with that playoff run, that he belongs in that category as well.

IMO Goff is very close to making that career transition from poor/middling QB to very good backup QB. I’d take Murray and all of his poor body language over Goff.
not me. I have zero confidence in Murray.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you think AZ makes the playoffs and is one and done w/Goff last year?
I think he is too short to overcome in a full season. He will never win a Super Bowl, imo. Kingsberry's game planning lasts about 8 games and then Murray get's stuffed. He has talent that gets stuffed when he's forced to think quickly in a collapsing pocket, which would drive me insane if I was a fan.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Goff lover." :hug:
sIXdx4W.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think he is too short to overcome in a full season. He will never win a Super Bowl, imo. Kingsberry's game planning lasts about 8 games and then Murray get's stuffed. He has talent that gets stuffed when he's forced to think quickly in a collapsing pocket, which would drive me insane if I was a fan.
You didn’t answer my question Senator Loyal.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
nothing. i just found it funny that you described the rams offense until the last drive.

Yeah the offense looked fine until OBJ went down. Then our lackluster WR depth got exposed, then our QB was exposed as being a legit badass.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You didn’t answer my question Senator Loyal.
*Thinks, He asks question, and then pause as though you intend to answer thoughtfully...then regurgitate your talking point for the day.....

dang

Legend
Yeah he was awful his rookie year, worse than Keenum in the same bad offense.

We can disagree over the verbiage to describe the last 2 years of his career I suppose. I say he’s been bad, yeah. All the turnovers, the slowed mechanics, no threat to win with his arm etc…he was benched.

What word would you use to describe his play in 2020 and w/the Lions?
Looking at the 2016 rookie year for Goff. He only played 7 games and yes they went 0-7 but I put that on the Rams awful Offense. Look at what Gurley did that year. Horrible coaching/horrible play calling/horrible WR talent. I’d say any rookie QB would not have been successful in that situation. I put that on Fischer and not Goff. I recall a lot of fight in Goff but alas little success but IMO it foreshadowed the very good play by Goff the next 2 years. 2019/2020 had some awful moments by Goff And admitedly not good enough to carry a team on his shoulders but IMO an above average QB at worst.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah the offense looked fine until OBJ went down. Then our lackluster WR depth got exposed, then our QB was exposed as being a legit badass.

I don't know why you're getting so defensive. Nobody is attacking Stafford here. I personally think he's a top 3 qb in the league.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Y
I don't know why you're getting so defensive. Nobody is attacking Stafford here. I personally think he's a top 3 qb in the league.

You’re reading me incorrectly dude. Maybe it’s me, maybe it’s you, maybe it’s just the internet.

I think Goff is a low tier QB and Stafford is top 5. The gap is wide. It’s okay if you and others feel differently. No one here is getting defensive. Right?

Cheers

Tano

Legend
Y

You’re reading me incorrectly dude. Maybe it’s me, maybe it’s you, maybe it’s just the internet.

I think Goff is a low tier QB and Stafford is top 5. The gap is wide. It’s okay if you and others feel differently. No one here is getting defensive. Right?

Cheers
You and I have completely different opinions then and that's fine.

But I doubt any QB in the bottom 10 would have done what Goff did in Goff's last 5 games where he threw 11 TDs and only 2 int and won 3 of those games.

And I can't stress enough that Goff had Josh Reynolds as his number 1 with an up and coming Brown as his second receiver and no Hockenson in those game.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
2019/2020 had some awful moments by Goff And admitedly not good enough to carry a team on his shoulders but IMO an above average QB at worst.
I don't think he sucks. I think he's got talent. But I think he needs an optimal situation. I'd look at the top 31 QBs for 2021 and say which ones you would prefer Goff over. Going down the list, I'd prefer him over 14 starting QBs in 2021. That puts him middle of the pack, which I think is pretty accurate. The Lions lost 5 games by 4 points or less. Some might say, "a good QB would have won some of them". Goff only played in 3 of them and only poorly in 1.

Tano

Legend
I don't think he sucks. I think he's got talent. But I think he needs an optimal situation. I'd look at the top 31 QBs for 2021 and say which ones you would prefer Goff over. Going down the list, I'd prefer him over 14 starting QBs in 2021. That puts him middle of the pack, which I think is pretty accurate. The Lions lost 5 games by 4 points or less. Some might say, "a good QB would have won some of them". Goff only played in 3 of them and only poorly in 1.
I agree with you. He definitely needs a decent OL with a decent running game but as I stated earlier I also asked who would you take over Goff.

A lot of ties there.

sloramfan

Starter
without protection, and without a running game, no QB is elite...

not breese, not mahomes, not brady... nobody...

there was constant pressure up the middle on goff.. it was sad to watch....

goff a low tier QB?.. whatever...

let's see what the lions do THIS year... according to you. they'll be drafting their next franchise QB...

that's hilarious to me... goff's is about to turn a lot of heads, and if i'm wrong, i'll gladly eat crow...

go rams

slo