Are the Rams Talking/Negotiating with ANY Free Agents?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I agree. Not upgrading at center is baffling, for the last three years. And why not sign a veteran edge? If they are thinking Super Bowl then why not shore up all weaknesses?

yeah, for me, upgrading at center has been the biggest head shaker the past 2 years. I know the line was better than alot think and that scrappy blyth improved, but when you have a billionaires money to spend, how do you let 2 obvious upgrades in lindsey and hudson go unsigned? With a stafford restructure they actually could have paid one of those guys AND signed dunlap or kerrigan.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I was talking to Jack Daniels and he informed me that it’s very likely that Monday the Rams will announce a big signing that may or may not include a trade.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I would doubt the accuracy of the $17M without some details.

Spotrac and Over-the-Cap have contract details and, but for the Donald restructure, are pretty consistent that the Rams are about $10M under, without the DeSean Jackson contract factored in.

To be conservative, if you add a stafford restructure to 10 mil, there's still enough money for djax, (was a chance) for an upgrade at center, and either dunlap or kerrigan. I am hopeful that they will sign someone due to all the money they've freed up.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I agree. Not upgrading at center is baffling, for the last three years. And why not sign a veteran edge? If they are thinking Super Bowl then why not shore up all weaknesses?
At this point my guess is that they don't want to invest much money into the IOL. Im sure I'm wrong but right now it feels like that's the bottleneck of the offense and coach has to see it yet they haven't done much to address it. It's a mystery to me lol.

We still have the draft so maybe they get a guy who can start his first year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

While we fans get anxious over these questions, McSnead has a lot more practical knowledge in what our bench players may offer in the near future. Last year at this very same time we were all clamoring about making improvements across the OL, whether it be thru free agency or the draft. Blythe was the central figure, but there were questions about Edwards & Corbett as well as Havenstein following his dismal 2019 season. The Rams countered by doing nothing, ... except drafting Anchrum in the 7'th round. 2019 and 2020 were tough years for growing & developing a new crop of OL players, and combining this with Goff's inability to quickly read defenses had McVay understandably frustrated. Goff may always require an outstanding OL which can present him with more time to analyze the field, Stafford is a different creature entirely when it comes to confidence, disseminating defenses, and throwing accurately on the move.
I actually have more confidence in the Rams ability to fix the Center position than I currently do with a 5T DE, and this doesn't include bringing Blythe back, ... the Rams have at least seen Corbett, Brewer & Anchrum in practice, as they have with Copeland, Banks & Jonah Williams. We haven't seen Corbett or Anchrum at Center, that doesn't mean the Rams haven't, so if we forgo a free agent Center now, i'm not going to panic, although if we pass on a Center during the draft, please forgive me for some nervousness. jmo.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I was talking to Jack Daniels and he informed me that it’s very likely that Monday the Rams will announce a big signing that may or may not include a trade.

It would be interesting to get mcvay and snead drunk on jack D and then e watch them talk about what they want to do in FA and the draft

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I hope Jack is right! Because Jim and Busch sure weren't!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
To be conservative, if you add a stafford restructure to 10 mil, there's still enough money for djax, (was a chance) for an upgrade at center, and either dunlap or kerrigan. I am hopeful that they will sign someone due to all the money they've freed up.
Absolutely. However, just because they can create more cap space that does not mean they should.

Creating cap space in 2021, also reduces their cap space for 2022 and 2023. Donald, Ramsey, Woods and Kupp carry huge hits in those years.

Doubt the Rams will want to move on from Donald and Ramsey but, should they want to move on from Woods or Kupp in 2022, there would be huge dead-$.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
While we fans get anxious over these questions, McSnead has a lot more practical knowledge in what our bench players may offer in the near future. Last year at this very same time we were all clamoring about making improvements across the OL, whether it be thru free agency or the draft. Blythe was the central figure, but there were questions about Edwards & Corbett as well as Havenstein following his dismal 2019 season. The Rams countered by doing nothing, ... except drafting Anchrum in the 7'th round. 2019 and 2020 were tough years for growing & developing a new crop of OL players, and combining this with Goff's inability to quickly read defenses had McVay understandably frustrated. Goff may always require an outstanding OL which can present him with more time to analyze the field, Stafford is a different creature entirely when it comes to confidence, disseminating defenses, and throwing accurately on the move.
I actually have more confidence in the Rams ability to fix the Center position than I currently do with a 5T DE, and this doesn't include bringing Blythe back, ... the Rams have at least seen Corbett, Brewer & Anchrum in practice, as they have with Copeland, Banks & Jonah Williams. We haven't seen Corbett or Anchrum at Center, that doesn't mean the Rams haven't, so if we forgo a free agent Center now, i'm not going to panic, although if we pass on a Center during the draft, please forgive me for some nervousness. jmo.

I did say for the last three years. Blythe has not been good and Sully was retiring. But yes even currently I don’t have faith that they upgrade that position unless it’s in the draft, mainly because they haven’t upgraded it for three years.

Now edge is a different story. I’m sure they have their plans but as we’ve seen, relying on OBO and Lewis is a shaky plan. There are at least three veteran edge rushers available. That could help and may come cheap comparatively.

I am fully aware that McVay and Snead have a plan of their own but that plan is not guaranteed to work. They have been wrong in the past. Just look at center for instance. Besides this is a fan board where we discuss such things

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Absolutely. However, just because they can create more cap space that does not mean they should.

Creating cap space in 2021, also reduces their cap space for 2022 and 2023. Donald, Ramsey, Woods and Kupp carry huge hits in those years.

Doubt the Rams will want to move on from Donald and Ramsey but, should they want to move on from Woods or Kupp in 2022, there would be huge dead-$.

The rams have been the most all-in team over the last 4 years, and now Mcvay and Snead have made the biggest gambles of their careers. I think by making the cap room now, they plan to use it this year. If they were thinking about cap space next year, why not wait until next year to restructure?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The rams have been the most all-in team over the last 4 years, and now Mcvay and Snead have made the biggest gambles of their careers. I think by making the cap room now, they plan to use it this year. If they were thinking about cap space next year, why not wait until next year to restructure?
Agree about using the space they have created. Point was about whether to create more space by re-working Stafford.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Agree about using the space they have created. Point was about whether to create more space by re-working Stafford.

Got it, and I'm thinking create as much cap as you can if you can get the players you want. Barring a big trade, the best I am hoping for is adding a dlineman with my top choices being dunlap then kerrigan, which are doable.

Tano

Legend
Jack Daniels has got to be the most highly recommended source for any information.

btfd16

Rookie

Well at least for this part of your question, because they had to. We were $30 million over the covid cap. They had no choice but to restructure those guys this year.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Well at least for this part of your question, because they had to. We were $30 million over the covid cap. They had no choice but to restructure those guys this year.

I understand the need to restructure to get under the cap but why restructure 2 more contracts to make more room under the cap when you dont need it this year. Hopefully, it's to sign another starter or significant rotational player.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I am still wondering if they move Havenstein... Might be a team that missed out in the first waves if FA that still need a RT.

If you move him, not only do you clear a lot of space this yr, $6M I think, but you clear his entire cap number next yr, which is like $8M.

You could literally carry over his cap savings for this yr into next yr, and on top of next yrs savings on Havenstein, that one trade would essentially open up $14M for next yr. Right now they are listed as $800k over next yr.

Something to keep in mind.

I am guessing the Brockers trade came down to a similar discussion although they needed that move for this yr as well.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
We already have a weak link (hole) at center - how/why would be double down on that by trading Hav?!?
If they had solidified the Center spot in FA, then maybe a Hav trade makes sense. But currently without - I sure hope not.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We already have a weak link (hole) at center - how/why would be double down on that by trading Hav?!?
If they had solidified the Center spot in FA, then maybe a Hav trade makes sense. But currently without - I sure hope not.
$14M in cap space for next yr as mentioned and you have 3 RT prospects in Evans, Edwards, and Brewer. You acquired these guys...now is the time to use them to benefit the franchise long-term.