Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Not sure I give any merit to any study from China at this time. I trust the US Drs that are saying hydroxychloroquine is very effective and if given early even to patients with other condidtions, as most healthy people that get coronavirus dont require hospitalization, it shortens the recovery time and many patients recover before needing to be put in ICU. Drs in several countries are turning to hydroxychloroquine as the go to for coronavirus. And I have seen a couple of Drs interviewed on the news that stated they have noticed lupus patients are not getting covid19, which as you pointed out lupus is an autoimmune disease so it must be something they are taking that is protecting them from covid19.

I guess I should have left Trumps name out of it, thats my fault. But it doesnt change the fact that for some reason certain people dont want hydroxychloroquine to be a viable option to at least get through this season, as a vaccine will not be here before fall. And waiting for summer may or may not stop the virus and will definitely be more harmful to many millions of peoples lively hoods.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Not sure I give any merit to any study from China at this time. I trust the US Drs that are saying hydroxychloroquine is very effective and if given early even to patients with other condidtions, as most healthy people that get coronavirus dont require hospitalization, it shortens the recovery time and many patients recover before needing to be put in ICU. Drs in several countries are turning to hydroxychloroquine as the go to for coronavirus. And I have seen a couple of Drs interviewed on the news that stated they have noticed lupus patients are not getting covid19, which as you pointed out lupus is an autoimmune disease so it must be something they are taking that is protecting them from covid19.

I guess I should have left Trumps name out of it, thats my fault. But it doesnt change the fact that for some reason certain people dont want hydroxychloroquine to be viable option to at least get through this season, as a vaccine will not be here before fall. And waiting for summer may or may not stop the virus and will definitely be more harmful to many millions of peoples lively hoods.

I am with you on that - China may or may not be totally reliable - nor the French for that matter :p
Just trying to back up what you were saying and found that report.
Hopefully we get more trails in NYC and elsewhere to back up hydroxychloroquine as an effective cure for this virus.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I am with you on that - China may or may not be totally reliable - nor the French for that matter :p
Just trying to back up what you were saying and found that report.
Hopefully we get more trails in NYC and elsewhere to back up hydroxychloroquine as an effective cure for this virus.

Even if it is only 50% effective that is many lives saved, and from what I have read and seen on tv it would be much more effective than 50%, and we already know it is safe for most people. . There are people that shouldnt take it due to the side effects, but if I'm fighting for my life give me something that may work, dont just watch me die. And I would think most people feel the same.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Oh I most certainly will hit you with that. Multiple times on this thread you have stated that if the economy can't survive this lockdown, then it wasn't a good economy to begin with. Tsk tsk. No concern shown for the human toll of an economic disaster, just you wagging your finger.

Yes, I'm saying that if an economy cannot handle an event such as this then that is evidence that the economy needs to be changed/improved in such a way to dampen the effects of said events. We're already seeing how company are adapting to having employees work from home, and some of these companies will remain at a work remotely environment after this is over. That is an example of how the economy grows and improves to reduce the impact in the future. We should be able to use a little foresight here and look at how we can take additional steps to help strengthen our position and economy against major disruptions such as this.

Is this a bad thing? Because it seems like you're advocating that we learn nothing from the pandemic and not make any changes. That's just asking to repeat what's happening in the future.

Complete non sequiter. We are not talking about simple innovation changing an economy over time, putting some people out of job and creating more. This is not a case of the PC displacing the mainframe and turning IBM from a giant company dominating the industry to a much smaller software and services company. The current situation is nothing even comparable to what you are discussing, so I don't know why you are even bringing it up.

This is an unprecedented shutdown of the economy, something this country has never done before, even with other pandemics. Despite what you think, the economy is not a piece of steak you can toss in the freezer and then thaw out when your ready to grill it again.

Even the strongest, most robust economies cannot take a shutdown like this without severe damage, some of which we have already seen with 10 million jobs lost in the last week. And those are just the first order effects, there will be a cascade of effects if this continues that will make the human toll far worse than what it would be if we handled the virus with a smarter, more surgical approach over the current, one-size-fits-all extreme lockdown approach.

An economy is a dynamic thing, you simply can't put it in stasis. And I can't believe I even have to type this.

None of this shit has anything to do with what I'm talking about, I'm saying that the economy needs to improve in a way that makes disasters like this not require a total shutdown like we're seeing now.

I get that you don't like it. Tough shit, the majority of the world doesn't want to sacrifice large sections of the population to the economy gods. This is something that we could have prepared for and had plans and infrastructure in place to mitigate the damage done when we have some sort of major disruption, but backwards ass logic has prevented us from doing that and now we're feeling the pain.

You ever hear of the six P's? Proper planning prevents piss poor performance. If you're upset about the piss poor performance of the economy maybe look at the lack of planning, eh? I'm saying maybe we plan so we don't have to deal with this again.

Yep, that's me. Rich tycoon. I'm actually not typing this post myself, my personal secretary is taking dictation. Also, I'm waiting for my butler to serve me;

Just because you're not rich doesn't mean that you're not advocating for that. I'm willing to take the very large hit that my stocks and retirement and such are taking to not have a bunch of unnecessary deaths.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
In regards to this above - I think the way the media is handling this is ridiculous and only making matters worse.

For example - Here

The flu has hit at least 22 million people in the U.S. so far. Four months into the flu season, at least 22 million U.S. residents have contracted influenza — and possibly as many as 31 million people, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

So that’s approx 31 million over the course of 4 months. If you say 30,000 in every state (50) over 6 months at 1% that would be 300 dead a month +. What would happen if the news and media outlets would publish those numbers? It would look like a pandemic, wouldn’t it? What’s going to happen next year? Will we get the flu scoreboard like we are now? Another thing is - do these tests know how to differentiate between Covid - 19 or Influenza? Anyway, it’s a huge issue how the media is playing this thing. We will find out by way of leaks and whistleblowers years from now all the bullshit that has blown thing into massive hysteria

Anyway, this is what i was getting at when I said this won’t end anytime soon. Cause the way the media is playing this is perpetuating the problem
Couple things...

Yes, the tests absolutely differentiate between Covid 19 and the seasonal flu.

And the death rate from seasonal flu is usually estimated at 0.1%. Covid death rate is a moving target, but if it were 1%, that would mean it’s ten times more deadly than the flu.

IMHO, most of the media I see is fact-based. Yes, it is serious, and yes, the numbers are grim. But as long as there are still idiots out there going to parties and gathering in crowds, I think it is the media’s job to keep educating the public about the need for social distancing— especially during the next few weeks when we are hitting the apex of our exponential curve.

Finally— I sure hope that the discovery of a PROVEN anti-viral treatment will be a “game changer.” Yes, I sure as hell am rooting for hydroxychloroquine or WHATEVER drug wins out the competition.

Lastly— pretty much the whole damn world is on lockdown right now. Obviously scientists in virtually every country have come to the same conclusion— regardless of what “the media in the USA” might have to say.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Even if it is only 50% effective that is many lives saved, and from what I have read and seen on tv it would be much more effective than 50%, and we already know it is safe for most people. . There are people that shouldnt take it due to the side effects, but if I'm fighting for my life give me something that may work, dont just watch me die. And I would think most people feel the same.
I’m with ya on the hydroxychloroquine— if I had an older relative who got infected, I’d move heaven and earth to get my hands on some. Definitely promising.

However, they are in the middle of studying a half dozen other drugs that *might* be superior in effectiveness.

All I’m saying is —hydroxychloroquine is the “go to” drug we have now, based on limited research that is largely anecdotal. In a month from now, there might be a different drug that’s proven to be better.

And as for politics, I’d like to think it doesn’t fucking matter— whichever drug is the best will be proven out by the data.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's not a pleasant thought that there are a large swath of humans that can't set aside their more petty squabbles and focus on the bigger picture. But it is what it is.

It's true until they or a family member is infected, then the picture changes. Again I'm not naive to think that is still not out there, but I'm still a believer you respect the office, however, that comes with military training that you salute the rank and not the person and the time for debate or criticism is when we are past this IMHO.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The biggest problem is that Trump publicly stated hydroxychloroquine was showing positive results. So of course many refuse to believe it, even though the Drs that are prescribing it are all claiming it is working great. If Trump hadnt plublicly touted hydroxychloroquine it would be the go to drug and we would get to the end of this sooner.

Hopefully this doesnt turn this discussion to a political discussion. Just stating my opinion of where we stand right now.

Its the classic case of biting our nose off to spite the face. If something like this pandemic can't bring us together to fight a common enemy, I fear our country's future will some day look very bleak. Maybe even in our lifetime.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I have been posting all the articles I can find on the subject of coronavirus cures - but it’s still a long ways away - and that’s with world record timing and total optimism

The only thing that will get us out of this situation sooner than later is extreme social distancing and universal testing

My main thing is blanket fear statements like "2020 is over" don't scare me. I agree 100% otherwise.

I'm just not scared of the virus.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
My main thing is blanket fear statements like "2020 is over" don't scare me. I agree 100% otherwise.

I wasn’t trying to be fearful more than utilitarian. We have 3 projects in the works right now - an animation series, and novel to be made into a movie, and a documentary with John Cale - all of these projects are in the works but are all slated for next year. Everyone knows 2020 isn’t the time to release or plan on running anything. Anyone who has something planned for 2020, from the Lakers Championship run, Liverpool, some family with a trip to the Bahamas, new house construction is gonna be severely delayed into 2021. We will be picking up the pieces of this mess well into winter is all i’m getting at

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm preparing...by buying a shitload of games from Amazon and Steam. I hope to fate that everyone here - and their families - stay safe in these troubled times.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John

I am not scared of the virus either. If most people are giving it 50% of the effort I am putting in so that I do not spread the virus then I am fine.

I am more concerned about the affects to people. Not financial, but emotional. I think I have already seen some of that and we have just got started in this.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Its the classic case of biting our nose off to spite the face. If something like this pandemic can't bring us together to fight a common enemy, I fear our country's future will some day look very bleak. Maybe even in our lifetime.

It will take leadership to bring the people together.

Unfortunately that’s sorely lacking

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Couple things...

Yes, the tests absolutely differentiate between Covid 19 and the seasonal flu.

And the death rate from seasonal flu is usually estimated at 0.1%. Covid death rate is a moving target, but if it were 1%, that would mean it’s ten times more deadly than the flu.

IMHO, most of the media I see is fact-based. Yes, it is serious, and yes, the numbers are grim. But as long as there are still idiots out there going to parties and gathering in crowds, I think it is the media’s job to keep educating the public about the need for social distancing— especially during the next few weeks when we are hitting the apex of our exponential curve.

Finally— I sure hope that the discovery of a PROVEN anti-viral treatment will be a “game changer.” Yes, I sure as hell am rooting for hydroxychloroquine or WHATEVER drug wins out the competition.

Lastly— pretty much the whole damn world is on lockdown right now. Obviously scientists in virtually every country have come to the same conclusion— regardless of what “the media in the USA” might have to say.

Yeah but you get my point about the “seasonal” flu and how it would look like a pandemic if you showed those numbers right?
I mean how is the media gonna handle this moving forward?
30 million sick by the flu in a 4 month span - that blows away what is happening now on face value.
There are deaths from influenza too.
The fact you recite a scoreboard of this specific flu bug to that specific flue bug is exactly what i’m getting at. Scoreboard watching with zero fucking context to what’s really going on, as to @Mojo Ram point

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Things will change for the best
We will have this event on our minds for the next decade. Just like 9-11.
How we look at the health care system and taking care of people will be paramount on the collective mind. How do we prevent this from happening again, how do we keep people’s immune systems running well, how do we reshape the modern workplace, how do we revamp an archaic medical system, how do we approach global brotherhood and security, how do we protect the environment so this catastrophic shit can end —- All these challenges will be addressed moving forward - by us and by the younger generations. Things will advance to where they should be to meet these times.

Will there still be a kid jumping off a roof onto a ping pong table to impress his friends? Will there still be a person dousing a pile of cedar with too much gasoline and getting his eyebrows permanently removes. Fuck yeah

But no way does that make for a bleak future

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We’ve just need addressed by Her Maj, a way of boosting morale for the country. Cheers Ma’am.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Fed’s Bullard says there is ‘good news’ for those worried about the economy’s future: that universal COVID-19 testing will help restore economic health

Like I’ve been saying - testing is key to getting out of this mess

Status
Not open for further replies.