Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Everyone is prepping.

C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) spaceweather.com coming from the constellation of Canis Majoris.
sirius-and-procyon-5851b5b25f9b586e02633123.jpg

Orions Belt. It may just be another Hale Bopp moment.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
How the Pandemic Will End
The U.S. may end up with the worst COVID-19 outbreak in the industrialized world. This is how it’s going to play out.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well, I'm glad you've basically confirmed that you basically don't give a shit about those who lose their jobs and livelihoods in the economic calamity we are creating by our all or nothing approach. You can go up to people who lose their jobs and tell them "well, it just shows that our economy wasn't very good in the first place ... tsk tsk." Do that with a family member or someone close to you when they lose their job. Let's see how it goes over. It would be like me walking up to someone infected with the virus and saying "well, you should have taken better care of your immune system, dummy! You're sick, tough luck!"

But I do give you credit for your honesty. At least you admit you don't care about the economic fallout and the ruined lives that will occur if we continue down our current path.

Oh don't try to hit me with that, of course I feel for those people.

However, as our economy grows and changes, that means people must be willing to adapt. Life isn't static, jobs and industries often change, innovation drives everything, and those who fail to adapt more often than not are doomed to fail. That doesn't mean I don't sympathize with those who lose their jobs, but industries dying out and job markets shifting to different types of work isn't anything new.

I'm saying if you think outside the box you can probably develop a system that allows people more flexibility in how they work, which allows for less job loss during major disruptions such as this one.

However, to take a page out of your book, If you want people to continually suffer in some cycle of misery, then that's on you though. I guess in terms of the greater good, at least I'm not calling for future generations to feel even more pain because I would like to make it easier on myself personally. I'm also not calling on many more people suffering and dying from pandemic so my stock portfolio doesn't plummet.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
US Numbers

258,214 confirmed
6,605 dead

2.5% mortality rate (so far)

note that more than 1,100 of those deaths came in the last day or so.

I'm not trying to morbid - but there seems to be an "its not really that bad" vibe going around the US.

Its that bad. People who have a confirmed case but aren't dead may still die.
I lot more people have it than are confirmed.
The mortality rate will never be accurate unless there is a way to test the whole population

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I lot more people have it than are confirmed.
The mortality rate will never be accurate unless there is a way to test the whole population

That's true for most diseases, of course. How many people have the seasonal flu and don't go to the doctor, for instance?

The death rate for Covid-19 is lower, but it's still very high, which is the point.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Oh don't try to hit me with that, of course I feel for those people.

However, as our economy grows and changes, that means people must be willing to adapt. Life isn't static, jobs and industries often change, innovation drives everything, and those who fail to adapt more often than not are doomed to fail. That doesn't mean I don't sympathize with those who lose their jobs, but industries dying out and job markets shifting to different types of work isn't anything new.

I'm saying if you think outside the box you can probably develop a system that allows people more flexibility in how they work, which allows for less job loss during major disruptions such as this one.

However, to take a page out of your book, If you want people to continually suffer in some cycle of misery, then that's on you though. I guess in terms of the greater good, at least I'm not calling for future generations to feel even more pain because I would like to make it easier on myself personally. I'm also not calling on many more people suffering and dying from pandemic so my stock portfolio doesn't plummet.

The shitty part is most large companies are run by the yesteryear mentality and are too stubborn to adapt. Like here most large corporations give you a laptop, pay for or give you your phone, and have vpn access. Everything can be done remotely, but they still expect you to be there 9-5.

Local business and companies that sell tangible goods and services are the hardest hit right now.

With everything, there has to be some sort of middle ground. Like you can't just halt everything. I wish there was some magic wand to hit pause, and let everything clean out without any job loss, but it just doesn't work that way. I think that's what thirteen is trying to say, to keep business open, while following all the guidelines. Grocery stores are doing this by limiting the # of people in stores and on products. So it can be done, just with more effort in hygiene.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
just with more effort in hygiene.

And this issue I will never understand and I also realize some of it's cultural, however, this should be automatic for everyone, who has the means each & every day. Amazing you have to remind people to wash their hands, but we have all been in restrooms, where people don't or have heard people on their phones in a stall and then walk right out...Gotta love people who feel it's right to text or converse while doing their business.

Anyway I actually feel most businesses have adapted, at least in New York because there has been no alternatives. Each day seems like 48 hours we keep pushing the months out, "Wait till April" Now wait till May and soon, wait until the warmer months of June & July....Let's all just hope the light at the end of the tunnel is not an on coming freight train.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The shitty part is most large companies are run by the yesteryear mentality and are too stubborn to adapt. Like here most large corporations give you a laptop, pay for or give you your phone, and have vpn access. Everything can be done remotely, but they still expect you to be there 9-5.

Local business and companies that sell tangible goods and services are the hardest hit right now.

With everything, there has to be some sort of middle ground. Like you can't just halt everything. I wish there was some magic wand to hit pause, and let everything clean out without any job loss, but it just doesn't work that way. I think that's what thirteen is trying to say, to keep business open, while following all the guidelines. Grocery stores are doing this by limiting the # of people in stores and on products. So it can be done, just with more effort in hygiene.

We are gonna be in this condition for months. And months. And months. And months.

2020 is over. Start planning for Spring 2021.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
We are one effective ant-viral away of going back to normal.

That simple.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

That simple.

I have been posting all the articles I can find on the subject of coronavirus cures - but it’s still a long ways away - and that’s with world record timing and total optimism

The only thing that will get us out of this situation sooner than later is extreme social distancing and universal testing

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
And this issue I will never understand and I also realize some of it's cultural, however, this should be automatic for everyone, who has the means each & every day. Amazing you have to remind people to wash their hands, but we have all been in restrooms, where people don't or have heard people on their phones in a stall and then walk right out...Gotta love people who feel it's right to text or converse while doing their business.

Anyway I actually feel most businesses have adapted, at least in New York because there has been no alternatives. Each day seems like 48 hours we keep pushing the months out, "Wait till April" Now wait till May and soon, wait until the warmer months of June & July....Let's all just hope the light at the end of the tunnel is not an on coming freight train.

Yeah it's disgusting. There are people who don't bathe, hock loogies on the streets, don't flush the damn toilet. It's fucking gross.

We are gonna be in this condition for months. And months. And months. And months.

2020 is over. Start planning for Spring 2021.

I'm not buying into over-dramatic fear statements like this one.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
I have been posting all the articles I can find on the subject of coronavirus cures - but it’s still a long ways away - and that’s with world record timing and total optimism

The only thing that will get us out of this situation sooner than later is extreme social distancing and universal testing

You are correct.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

That simple.

Or not that simple...March of Dimes formed in 1938 Vaccine for Polio came to fruition in 1955...Different times and different circumstances, but it wasn't that simple then.

fearsomefour

Legend

A treatment protocol is all that's needed realistically to return to or start a return to normalcy.
That isn't too far off I bet.

oldnotdead

Legend
Okay my girlfriend and I arrived in lovely Tucson last week. Just in Time for the state shut down preventing us from getting a place to live. So we're staying with my brother and nephew in their lovely house South of Tucson. Definitely possibilities when things turn around as there's a brand new development going up across the street with houses starting about $220,000 for a 3-bedroom 1400 square foot home and new homes going up right next door to my brother which are twice the the size and start a $350,000. Okay enough of that part. Onto what this posting is all about.

I have always believed and still do that although this is an extremely serious pandemic that it was certainly a manageable one if handled competently. But the evening of our arrival in Tucson while unpacking the car I witnessed and example of why this thing has gotten totally out of control. The people who live in this neighborhood are a mixture of professionals and military. Standing in the middle of the street talking in close proximity i.e. not practicing social distancing, where a group of six or seven neighbors. Among them were 3 military and four nurses. What were they talking about? The Governor had just ordered basically a shutdown of the state. Yet these people were planning a block party. I was dumbfounded of all people the nurses should know better. The American public has not been able to wrap their heads around this situation and do what is necessary which is to exercise self-control and common sense. These people were all in their thirties and forties they were not teenagers, they should know better but they don't. So with parents like these is it no wonder that the idiot kids are partying on the beach?

There is no question in my mind that this whole situation has been exacerbated by a lack of political leadership and personal responsibility on the part of individuals. What's so striking is that these people live in beautiful homes with adequate money to provide for the necessities. They will have jobs to go back to. What is so hard about sitting in your own backyard drinking iced coffee like we are, while listening to good music and taking in the beautiful weather?

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Okay my girlfriend and I arrived in lovely Tucson last week. Just in Time for the state shut down preventing us from getting a place to live. So we're staying with my brother and nephew in their lovely house South of Tucson. Definitely possibilities when things turn around as there's a brand new development going up across the street with houses starting about $220,000 for a 3-bedroom 1400 square foot home and new homes going up right next door to my brother which are twice the the size and start a $350,000. Okay enough of that part. Onto what this posting is all about.

I have always believed and still do that although this is an extremely serious pandemic that it was certainly a manageable one if handled competently. But the evening of our arrival in Tucson while unpacking the car I witnessed and example of why this thing has gotten totally out of control. The people who live in this neighborhood are a mixture of professionals and military. Standing in the middle of the street talking in close proximity i.e. not practicing social distancing, where a group of six or seven neighbors. Among them were 3 military and four nurses. What were they talking about? The Governor had just ordered basically a shutdown of the state. Yet these people were planning a block party. I was dumbfounded of all people the nurses should know better. The American public has not been able to wrap their heads around this situation and do what is necessary which is to exercise self-control and common sense. These people were all in their thirties and forties they were not teenagers, they should know better but they don't. So with parents like these is it no wonder that the idiot kids are partying on the beach?

There is no question in my mind that this whole situation has been exacerbated by a lack of political leadership and personal responsibility on the part of individuals. What's so striking is that these people live in beautiful homes with adequate money to provide for the necessities. They will have jobs to go back to. What is so hard about sitting in your own backyard drinking iced coffee like we are, while listening to good music and taking in the beautiful weather?

Cant fix stupid.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'm not buying into over-dramatic fear statements like this one.

I’m not over reacting or driven by fear - it’s just the truth. This condition we are in isn’t going away anytime soon.

First you have to look at a health care system that says “we have all the answers” but then says “we don’t” - i mean what do you expect to happen but a full on mess. The discussion about how messed up the health care industry is is a topic we should really be discussing. It’s gonna be the what we are talking about 2020 and beyond. Look at how the news is posting nothing but body count numbers and has put people into this fear mode - not me. You think that’s going away anytime soon? You think things are just gonna go back to normal? You have to chalk up 2020 as a complete loss.

If you look at my posts - I have been posting mostly about the coronavirus cures and being absolutely positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.