Allen Robinson To Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Funny thing about Skowroneck is that at ND he caught everything. That's what made me such a fan in such a short time. His run blocking was awesome and he made a bunch of incredible grabs. The fact that he's struggled with drops is puzzling to me
I agree, however, most of his receptions seemed to be facing the QB or vertical routes, which I was surprised of the drop against San Francisco in the end zone, however, it appears that running horizontal routes when he has to turn his head and get to a spot, he struggles.

Now again, WR Coach Eric Yarber is one of the elite and I expect Skowronek to improve in that area as I do believe he will be more consistent in that area come this season.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Robinson contract details are posted on Spotrac. Assuming accurate, it's very cap-friendly for 2022.

With two voidable years, the $14M bonus payment can be allocated for cap purposes at $2.8M in 2022.
Add to that a low-salary of $1.5M, and Robinson only counts $4.3M against the Rams' salary cap.

Very similar to the Noteboom deal ($3.5M cap hit in 2022). Cap hits increase significantly in 2023 for both ... Robinson to $18M; and Noteboom to $15.5M.
It's been fun to watch the Rams work this offseason.
The "voidable years" tool is something they haven't used in the past and shows a desire to max out this year while understanding the cap will blow up over the course of the next few years.

I'm very interested to see what moves they still have in them.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I agree, however, most of his receptions seemed to be facing the QB or vertical routes, which I was surprised of the drop against San Francisco in the end zone, however, it appears that running horizontal routes when he has to turn his head and get to a spot, he struggles.

Now again, WR Coach Eric Yarber is one of the elite and I expect Skowronek to improve in that area as I do believe he will be more consistent in that area come this season.
He's in an environment where he can work to maximize his skills.
Maybe having to put so much work in on Special Teams cost him some time working on his hands and WR skills. Now that he clearly knows his roll on Teams... I hope he can just focus on his hands and WR skills this offseason.

His drops stood out... but I also noticed that he managed to get open. We'll see what he can make of himself.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Looking at some mocks a couple guys projected to round 4 range might be Christian Watson or Justyn Ross. Both big target types.

I don't think the Rams should do that or anything but it would be funny.

If Ross (or Romeo Doubs, for that matter) is there, I’d take him and deal Jefferson. They could be absolutely elite.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Robinson’s catch radius and ability on contested throws is impressive. Stafford’s going to love this guy.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Robinson’s catch radius and ability on contested throws is impressive. Stafford’s going to love this guy.

I'm guessing mcvay had talked with matt at some point about what receivers he would like to throw to and arob's name came up. the day we traded for matt, I said we would all love how it turned out. Same here

WestCoastRam

Legend
Backside dig, backside dig, backside dig!!!!!

Once OBJ came on board the Rams offense changed, he represented a true X receiver which the Rams really haven't had and Robinson is the same. We started running less condensed formations as we had a receiver who could line up on the line away from the formation and win battles there without having to be schemed open and one of the things that opened up was the backside dig route. OBJ was devastating on those through the end of the season and Stafford was a QB who could get through his reads to hit it. Robinson allows us to continue with that part of our offense if OBJ takes half a season or doesn't come back.

Having a receiver that can truly align at X really unlocks new dimensions in the pass and run game for us. We haven't had that since Watkins and to a much lesser extent Cook.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Allen Robinson had the 6th most yards and most TDs in the NFL in 2015 with Blake Bortles as his QB.
He's going to put up similar numbers next year for the Rams.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler

Once OBJ came on board the Rams offense changed, he represented a true X receiver which the Rams really haven't had and Robinson is the same. We started running less condensed formations as we had a receiver who could line up on the line away from the formation and win battles there without having to be schemed open and one of the things that opened up was the backside dig route. OBJ was devastating on those through the end of the season and Stafford was a QB who could get through his reads to hit it. Robinson allows us to continue with that part of our offense if OBJ takes half a season or doesn't come back.

Having a receiver that can truly align at X really unlocks new dimensions in the pass and run game for us. We haven't had that since Watkins and to a much lesser extent Cook.
WestCoastRam,
Lots of good stuff in your post. I have a question though: When you mention the backside dig pattern is this the same dig route that Torry and Ike ran frequently in the GSOT days?
Thanks,

~ArkyRamsFan~

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Great post. McVay will always have the ability to scheme guys open, but imo it is a significant improvement to add Robinson who as you say can line up away and win battles on his own. Especially if and when OBJ comes back. We will then have three receivers with unstoppable skills.

Robinson brings an ability to make plays which Woods, excellent as he was, could not create. Not least with Stafford who did not mesh with or favor Woods as a target (except for one game after Woods complained and McVay encouraged Stafford to throw to him). Something just went awry between Stafford and Woods imo. Robinson also will be a much, much better target in the red zone.

Now it's up to Robinson to mind meld with Stafford as Kupp did, and to show he can also block and learn and run the route tree up to Woods' and Kupp's high standards. This will require some serious work. I'm optimistic and expecting AR to step up big time.

WestCoastRam

Legend
WestCoastRam,
Lots of good stuff in your post. I have a question though: When you mention the backside dig pattern is this the same dig route that Torry and Ike ran frequently in the GSOT days?
Thanks,

~ArkyRamsFan~

Man, it's been forever since I've watched those games but I imagine there were a ton of them. From what I remember Martz ran a sickening amount of in-breakers but not always from the backside of the formation. He loved Ike and Torry for their willingness to go across the middle of the field.

sloramfan

Starter
allen robinson...

cooper kupp 2.0..

everyone keeps talking about his going up and getting contested catches...

sorry fellas... that's not what i noticed...

yes he goes up and comes down with contested catches,,, but..

watch your highlight reels again...

the guy is almost always WIDE OPEN...

that's kupp worthy...

i'm putting my money on allen robinson getting more pass/yds/completions than kupp...

call me on it next year...

go rams

slo

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I like

A1R

Nope, @El Chapo Jr and I have already settled it. Allen Robinson is the AR-1 assault weapon. A'Shawn Robinson is the AR-94 assault weapon.

Both deadly in their own ways. The AR-1 is a great weapon for destroying opposing pass defenses. The AR-94 is a great weapon for destroying opposing running games, with the added benefit of eating blockers.*

* - Also, a very effective weapon for administering Gatorade showers.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Nope, @El Chapo Jr and I have already settled it. Allen Robinson is the AR-1 assault weapon. A'Shawn Robinson is the AR-94 assault weapon.

Both deadly in their own ways. The AR-1 is a great weapon for destroying opposing pass defenses. The AR-94 is a great weapon for destroying opposing running games, with the added benefit of eating blockers.*

* - Also, a very effective weapon for administering Gatorade showers.
I completely agree 100%!