Albums you can listen to front to back and back again?!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
REM did good work both before and after Life's Rich Pageant, but for me that album was the one that really hit home. Every song is good, except for the ones that are great.

For the other list, here's title from the Porcupine Tree album I listed:

... and here's a great song from the Riverside album I listed:

Note: Both of these videos are kinda disturbing ...

Right on. yes Life's Rich Pageant was so good -- i remember me and my buddy in our high school band trying to get his mom - who was all into hippie bands like Quick Silver Messenger and shite - to did on R.E.M but she hated them. Then one day she heard the album and was all into it - and that was when both of us started to turn on them hahaha

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Rush -- any album
Radiohead -- OK Computer
Beatles -- Abbey Road
The Black Keys -- Attack & Release
The Mars Volta -- Frances the Mute
TOOL -- any album
Sevendust -- Seasons
Deftones -- White Pony
Chevelle -- any album
Tom Petty -- Full Moon Fever

Interesting that previous posts mentioned both the Clash's London Calling and the Beatles' White Album. I love Disc 1 of London Calling but am only lukewarm to the second disc (and frankly, I could die a happy man if I never hear "Train in Vain" again). The White Album has quite a few songs that I'll skip. I think both of these albums could've been culled down to single-disc perfection. But that's just my 2 cents.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Rush -- any album
Radiohead -- OK Computer
Beatles -- Abbey Road
The Black Keys -- Attack & Release
The Mars Volta -- Frances the Mute
TOOL -- any album
Sevendust -- Seasons
Deftones -- White Pony
Chevelle -- any album
Tom Petty -- Full Moon Fever

Interesting that previous posts mentioned both the Clash's London Calling and the Beatles' White Album. I love Disc 1 of London Calling but am only lukewarm to the second disc (and frankly, I could die a happy man if I never hear "Train in Vain" again). The White Album has quite a few songs that I'll skip. I think both of these albums could've been culled down to single-disc perfection. But that's just my 2 cents.

Well "any album" by Rush maybe be taking it a bit too far. Have you heard Roll the Bones lately? by the way I saw them live during the Roll the Bones "tour" at the Anaheim pond back in the day and the sound system sucked. Ruined my experience.

Side 3 and Side 4 have some incredible songs, like Koka Kola and Four Horseman, but yes I know what you're saying about Side 1 & 2 - Guns of Brixton is the best ever

fearsomefour

Legend
Great thread. I've got a number of albums to add to the list.

From the "stuff you've probably heard of before" category:

Rush - Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, Hemispheres, Clockwork Angels
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same
AC/DC - Powerage, Back in Black
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic, Rocks, Rock In A Hard Place (extremely underrated album, no doubt to the the lack of Joe Perry)
Yes - Close To The Edge, Going For The One, 90125
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
Tool - 10,000 Days, Lateralus
Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual
Jefferson Airplane - The Worst of Jefferson Airplane (a compilation, but a damn good one)
U2 - War
Trevor Rabin - Can't Look Away
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick, Warchild, Minstrel In The Gallery, Songs From The Wood
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail, Wind And Wuthering, Selling England By The Pound
Neil Young And Crazy Horse - Weld, Live Rust (both live albums)
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger, Superunknown
Pete Townsend - White City
The Who - Who's Next, Quadrophenia
REM - Life's Rich Pageant
Styx - Equinox
Montrose - Montrose
Van Halen - Fair Warning

From the "who the hell are these guys?" category:

Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement, Shrine Of New Generation Slaves
Gazpacho - Night, Tick Tock
Glass Hammer - Perilous
Arena - The Visitor
Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard
Ayreon - The Theory Of Everything
The Flower Kings - Space Revolver
Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear, Brave
Kerry Livegren - Seeds of Change
Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
Freaking Piece of Mind.
Being an aspiring drummer when I was a kid I just loved that album. Wore that one out several times.
Listening to Nicko got me to stick with single bass drum also. It was a good day when I mastered Where Eagles Dare.
Fast forward several years and I actually got to take a couple of lessons with Nicko.
Very down to earth humble and supremely nice dude.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Well "any album" by Rush maybe be taking it a bit too far. Have you heard Roll the Bones lately? by the way I saw them live during the Roll the Bones "tour" at the Anaheim pond back in the day and the sound system sucked. Ruined my experience.

Side 3 and Side 4 have some incredible songs, like Koka Kola and Four Horseman, but yes I know what you're saying about Side 1 & 2 - Guns of Brixton is the best ever

Touche on Roll the Bones -- there are quite a few forgettable tunes on that album (including the title track).

Also with you on Guns of Brixton.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Rush -- any album

Rush: 10 of the best
A career-spanning selection from the great Canadian trio, inspired by Ayn Rand, Coleridge and suburban alienation
d84b2dea-381c-453a-af49-529d23ea0aaa-460x276.jpeg

Rush onstage in 1978. Photograph: Fin Costello/Redferns

1. By-Tor and the Snow Dog
Rush started out as a straightforward and somewhat derivative hard rock act. But when drummer and lyricist Neal Peart joined for their second album Fly By Night, things started to get more interesting. Yes, the Dungeons and Dragons-style lyrics do sound a bit corny nearly 40 years on, but what makes this track is its extended instrumental middle section with a Dazed and Confused-style guitar workout from Alex Lifeson.

2. 2112
"Attention planets of the Solar Federation. We have assumed control." This side-long epic marked the point at which the Led Zeppelin-style hard rock and the Genesis-style progressive rock sides of Rush's music, previously at uncomfortable odds with one another, came together in a coherent whole. Its ambitious scope and science fiction themes put Rush on the map and gave them their musical identity. Their namechecking of the controversial libertarian novelist Ayn Rand as an influence got them wrongly smeared as extremely right wing by NME, but the storyline about a boy rebelling against a religious dictatorship contains none of the things that made Rand a pin-up for adolescent sociopaths of all ages. Not that it has ever stopped the usual suspects from using it as an excuse to take cheap shots at the band.

3. Xanadu
Xanadu represents the high point of the 70s pomp-rock phase of Rush's career. With lyrics based on the Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem Kubla Khan, it goes way beyond their previous power-trio approach with added keyboard, bass pedals and an array of orchestral percussion. It builds slowly, with a minute and a half of percussion and electronic effects before the whole thing bursts into life with Alex Lifeson's magnificent spiralling guitar figure, and another three minutes before Geddy Lee's vocal comes in. It's one of the defining symphonic rock epics from the 70s, with good reason.

4. La Villa Strangiato
Subtitled "An exercise in self-indulgence", this number does precisely what it says on the tin, and as an instrumental track it's recommended to anyone who is allergic to Geddy Lee's helium vocals. After beginning with Lifeson's frenetic flamenco guitar it builds into a kaleidoscopic piece filled with unexpected twists and turns, and an overwhelming sense of fun throughout its nine minutes. With sections entitled "A Lerxt in Wonderland" and "Monsters!", you can feel the band enjoying themselves while they play this.

5. Witch Hunt
By the early 1980s Rush had already had a chart hit with Spirit of Radio and were writing shorter, more focused material. Moving Pictures, released in 1981, remains one of their most highly regarded albums, and it would be easy to pick any song as an example of Rush at their peak. Lifeson's growling, menacing riff matches Peart's lyrics drawing parallels between pitchfork-wielding 17th-century Puritans and the then rising moral majority of Reagan's America.

6. YYZ
With the move towards shorter songs, Rush stopped slotting lengthy instrumental workouts into the middle of other songs and broke them out into separate numbers in their own right. This track is an early example, and remains one of the best. A rare case of an instrumental with its own title, the staccato rhythm of the opening section spells out YYZ, the code for Toronto airport, in Morse code. It's still a live favourite, often a vehicle for Neal Peart's epic drum solo.

7. Subdivisions
Signals, released in 1982, marked a further shift in sound, with a move towards a sophisticated art-pop that owed as much to new wave as it did to 70s prog rock. Its synthesiser-driven opening number typified this new approach. Peart's lyrics capture the essence of suburban alienation ("Conform or be cast out"), and are a good example of why he's as revered among Rush's fans as Morrissey is by the Smiths'.

8. Afterimage
This eulogy to an unnamed dead friend is a standout from Grace Under Pressure, released in 1984. Two things make this remarkable musically; one is the way Peart's drums take the role of the bass while Geddy Lee plays keys, and the other is the guitar textures that Alex Lifeson weaves throughout the song. These showed how he had progressed well beyond the archetypal classic rock guitarist to something multifaceted and altogether more impressive.

9. Animate
As the 80s rolled into the 90s Rush changed their sound yet again, taking a back to basics power-trio approach without the synthesisers and layers of guitar effects that typified their late 80s output. The 1993 albumCounterparts was a return to form after a couple of rather bloodless predecessors, and in its opener Animate they rock out in a way they hadn't done for years.

10. The Garden
Even if the 2012 concept album Clockwork Angels wasn't quite a career-defining masterpiece, its closing ballad The Garden is a thing of beauty. A full 37 years separate this from By-Tor and the Snow Dog, and the two songs are light years apart musically. But they are the same band; an unchanged lineup across five decades that saw many musical fashions come and go. Rush have outlived them all and remain relevant long after almost all of their contemporaries have burned out.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
7. Subdivisions
Signals, released in 1982, marked a further shift in sound, with a move towards a sophisticated art-pop that owed as much to new wave as it did to 70s prog rock. Its synthesiser-driven opening number typified this new approach. Peart's lyrics capture the essence of suburban alienation ("Conform or be cast out"), and are a good example of why he's as revered among Rush's fans as Morrissey is by the Smiths'.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Guys aren't supposed to like Depeche Mode -- they only feign interest in the band so they can nail a goth chick. Because it actually works :D

fearsomefour

Legend
7. Subdivisions
What a great and precise drum track also.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Guys aren't supposed to like Depeche Mode -- they only feign interest in the band so they can nail a goth chick. Because it actually works :D
Its funny you say that. I resisted all pop,rap,glam rock music in the late 80's. I met a girl, i went to see Depeche w/her. After the show(which was boring but sounded pretty good) ....there were a few tunes that i wanted to hear again. She put in that cassette(Lol) and i was hooked on "some" of their stuff. IMO that album was their best from start to finish. The lyrical content is predictably adolescent...but the music and sound is very well constructed and quite brilliant IMO.

I've got a lot of respect for Martin Gore as a songwriter because it's no small feat to make a techno-pop band that caters to young girls to sound melodic, have range and contain some depth to it.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

That happened to me in the early 80's when this young lady took me to see her favorite band the Thompson Twins. The opening act was Kajagoogoo - kind of two anti-goth groups. Needless to say it took me a while to warm up to this type of music.

fearsomefour

Legend
Being a metal/punk rock kid growing up I had a guilty pleasure or two.
I loved Duran Durans Rio album.
I kept a tape (yes, tape) in my car. But I kept it in a Metallica tape case so my idiot friends wouldn't give me flak.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Being a metal/punk rock kid growing up I had a guilty pleasure or two.
I loved Duran Durans Rio album.
I kept a tape (yes, tape) in my car. But I kept it in a Metallica tape case so my idiot friends wouldn't give me flak.

I still use a cassette player in my car. It sounds and works great. The CD player sucks.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Nice. I still prefer tape or CD to the IPod. Music sounds "thin" to me on those players.

Never used an Ipod. I find digitally recorded music to be grating on my ears and prefer the warm sound of analog. This is one main reason I like classic rock listened to on either vinyl or tape. It just sounds warmer and easier on my ears.

After spending many years standing in front of loud amplifiers while I played guitar at full volume and screeched into microphones, :rockon: I developed a mild hum in my ears that's with me 24/7. So I'm really sensitive to sounds now and rarely listen to anything through headphones.

Like the NFL players who claim they were never told about the dangers of concussions and sued the NFL, maybe I should sue the club owners from back in the 70's and 80's for not warning me about potential ear damage. :goodluck:

fearsomefour

Legend
Ha
Never used an Ipod. I find digitally recorded music to be grating on my ears and prefer the warm sound of analog. This is one main reason I like classic rock listened to on either vinyl or tape. It just sounds warmer and easier on my ears.

After spending many years standing in front of loud amplifiers while I played guitar at full volume and screeched into microphones, :rockon: I developed a mild hum in my ears that's with me 24/7. So I'm really sensitive to sounds now and rarely listen to anything through headphones.

Like the NFL players who claim they were never told about the dangers of concussions and sued the NFL, maybe I should sue the club owners from back in the 70's and 80's for not warning me about potential ear damage. :goodluck:
ha. Exactly. I had the constant ring for a long time. Has gotten better over time.