Alaric Jackson Looks Like Real Deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The way McVay has praised Noteboom this year plus a game ball looks like he's not going anywhere.
Dont know about that. McVay showered praise on Robert Woods at all times and still shipped him out. 20 mill cap hit for Noteboom in '24 is a tough pill to swallow

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Dont know about that. McVay showered praise on Robert Woods at all times and still shipped him out. 20 mill cap hit for Noteboom in '24 is a tough pill to swallow
It is a lot.
It will just come down to what they can do with the money they save moving on from him.. if they do.. because they'll still need a quality swing.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Rams have won 2 Super Bowls, and both times they had an elite talent at Left Tackle. Pace, and Whitworth. Jackson is good but not elite so I think the Rams will see what's out there, but it's tough to find that elite guy.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't think The Rams can move Boom with taking on part of his 10 mil contract.
Unfortunately, Noteboom's 2024 cap hit is actually $20M. Yikes!

The cap relief for a pre-June 1 release is small ... just $5M, with $15M in Dead-$ per both Spotrac and OTC.

However, according to OTC, a release with a post-June 1 designation provides significant cap relief in 2024.
The down-side would be significant Dead-$ pushed into 2025 which is also a Void year under his deal.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Missed a bunch in '22 as well
I'm all in on the guy, he's our OLT as far as I'm concerned. Doesnt mean there isnt a shroud of doubt about his availability though
The 2022 problem was blood clotting. He’s on blood thinners since and it hasn’t reoccurred.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
However, according to OTC, a release with a post-June 1 designation provides significant cap relief in 2024.
The down-side would be significant Dead-$ pushed into 2025 which is also a Void year under his deal.
And it isnt cap space until June 1. So its not like they can release him as a post June 1 and then utilize that cap savings in free agency

dang

Legend
What's funny is how many cap casualties are cut or traded every year but it's never, ever the one player some posters seem to be absolutely fixated on

Havenstein is going to retire a Ram and I find it humorous that drives some people completely mad
Some people or some person? Do I have to block some more of ya’ll?

RamWoodie

Legend

The cap relief for a pre-June 1 release is small ... just $5M, with $15M in Dead-$ per both Spotrac and OTC.

I got my info from Sportrac too, but I only included his pay next year. In think you keep the guy because of his versatility, it's not his fault the Rams rushed to sign him. He's done well filling in for Hav and Jackson and he can play either guard position.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Yea he has done okay filling in, but the problem is the guy is made out of glass.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Expectations for Jackson are definitely tempered by his pedigree.
If that was the third year performance of a late first rounder or second rounder… I think people would be much more confident, moving forward.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame

Ouch. At this point, just keep him as valuable depth for the upcoming season and cut him thereafter. He can be the first man up as depth on the o-line, which is very valuable when he can play several positions on it. I don't like him as a starter but he is great depth at both tackle and guard.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ouch. At this point, just keep him as valuable depth for the upcoming season and cut him thereafter. He can be the first man up as depth on the o-line, which is very valuable when he can play several positions on it. I don't like him as a starter but he is great depth at both tackle and guard.
He's only under contract for this season and will cost 20 mill of cap space
And then next year, when he's not even on the team, he'll cost 10 mill
That's a lot of cheddar for a guy to be nothing more than depth

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
He's only under contract for this season and will cost 20 mill of cap space
And then next year, when he's not even on the team, he'll cost 10 mill
That's a lot of cheddar for a guy to be nothing more than depth
Yup. I was displeased with the deal the second it was signed. A lot of us were if you review the thread. Way, way, way too much money for a player that had never looked good at the LT position outside of extreme spot duty for Whitworth the rare times he got injured. I get it if they thought they had the answer in-house. LT is a prime position. You have to pay up for that. But we paid him as if he had already proven a lot. I am not an NFL insider with access to intel from various head offices around the league, so I cannot be certain, but I am reasonably confident the Rams paid Noteboom more than any team would have offered on the open market. At least for a contract of that many years.

Noteboom has taken his role in stride after being supplanted on the depth chart. Many highly paid players would not. So I am not so sure he would not re-up with the Rams for backup money after this deal is done. Because backup money is all he will fetch elsewhere IMO after his stint as a starter failed to pan out. Of course, we will see what the next few years bring. Maybe he earns are starting role and performs. But I am not counting on it. I absolutely love the player as a depth piece. Very versatile. Capable of stretches of high-level play in a pinch. He filled in for Whitworth in the playoffs without missing a beat against a very stout Tamp Bay defensive line. How many backups can do that?

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Noteboom has taken his role in stride after being supplanted on the depth chart. Many highly paid players would not. So I am not so sure he would not re-up with the Rams for backup money after this deal is done. Because backup money is all he will fetch elsewhere IMO after his stint as a starter failed to pan out. Of course, we will see what the next few years bring. Maybe he earns are starting role and performs. But I am not counting on it. I absolutely love the player as a depth piece. Very versatile. Capable of stretches of high-level play in a pinch. He filled in for Whitworth in the playoffs without missing a beat against a very stout Tamp Bay defensive line. How many backups can do that?
I'd be fine if they release him and re-sign him to a reasonable contract, but to pay 15 mill (20 mill cap hit) to be an oft injured backup is just senseless to me. Especially when they need to spend big $$ in order to keep their o-line in-tact

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
On free agents, we need depth behind Kyren Williams. It is not the style of RB that I would prefer. I would like a bigger, faster RB to compliment Williams and bring some of what he doesn't. But McVay seems to love guys that can catch out of the backfield and does not mind the smaller RBs that are not burners. Keep your eye on Clyde Edwards Elaire, if KC does not re-resign him. He is still only 24 years old too and does not have too many miles on his legs due to playing behind Pacheco for a year or two now. Could be sneaky pickup opportunity for the Rams to swoop in IMO, if other teams shy away from giving RBs contracts. I'd feel much more comfortable with Edwards Elaire as RB2 than Ronnie Rivers.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
On free agents, we need depth behind Kyren Williams. It is not the style of RB that I would prefer. I would like a bigger, faster RB to compliment Williams and bring some of what he doesn't. But McVay seems to love guys that can catch out of the backfield and does not mind the smaller RBs that are not burners. Keep your eye on Clyde Edwards Elaire, if KC does not re-resign him. He is still only 24 years old too and does not have too many miles on his legs due to playing behind Pacheco for a year or two now. Could be sneaky pickup opportunity for the Rams to swoop in IMO, if other teams shy away from giving RBs contracts. I'd feel much more comfortable with Edwards Elaire as RB2 than Ronnie Rivers.

Edwards-Helaire is terrible, a borderline bust. He couldn't beat out a constantly-injured Jerrick McKinnon, let alone Pacheco.