Alaric Jackson Looks Like Real Deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
McVay says he’ll be back with the team this week and that it was a family situation.

Hopefully it’s a blip, not a symptom
I get that those things should be kept private. But when they say personal reasons with no explanation I look at it as a red flag. If its a one time thing and doesn't happen again then fine. Nothing to see here. But it should be something they have to monitor closely to see just how invested he is in we not me. If it happens again they should probably think about whether or not he's gonna be the guy going forward.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I guess I see a clear distinction between the terms "family situation" (McVay's words), and "personal reasons" with no explanation (did anyone in the Rams' Organization use those words "personal reasons"?).

The latter could be an issue but the former doesn't suggest anything to me that would be a concern about the player.

EDIT:
Gary Klein used the term "personal reasons" in a zoom conference call earlier today but McVay answered the inquiry using the term "family situation" which was the same term he used on the McVay Show with JB Long.

Last edited:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Even with Jackson playing well, the rams need some insurance at LT beyond Noteboom. I expect them to draft a tackle in the earlier rounds next year regardless of what they do in FA. Noteboom may very well get cut this off season. His salary is just too high for injury prone backup even one as versatile as he has been.

Jackson will be a bargain for only one more year. He will be an unrestricted FA at the end of 2024 and he will rightfully be looking for a payday. With next year as a contract year for him I think we will get his best. He will likely get a decent pay raise this off-season even as an RFA.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I get that those things should be kept private. But when they say personal reasons with no explanation I look at it as a red flag. If it’s a one time thing and doesn't happen again then fine. Nothing to see here. But it should be something they have to monitor closely to see just how invested he is in we not me. If it happens again they should probably think about whether or not he's gonna be the guy going forward.
Like I said. Hoping it’s a blip, not a symptom.

He’s been very good.

oldnotdead

Legend
Jackson could end up being a good LT but he needs work on his technique and footwork. Next year will show his commitment to his own development. OL like a lot of players normally show a marked improvement between their first and second years. That said, it normally takes 3 years before a team knows what they have or don't in a player. In Jackson, I think they will have their answers next season.

It's why I expect them to draft at least one OT next year probably in the third or fourth round.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I get that those things should be kept private. But when they say personal reasons with no explanation I look at it as a red flag. If its a one time thing and doesn't happen again then fine. Nothing to see here. But it should be something they have to monitor closely to see just how invested he is in we not me. If it happens again they should probably think about whether or not he's gonna be the guy going forward.
Yeah, it makes me cautious as well. If it’s a death in the family or a serious illness or injury, I get it. If it’s something else I’d wonder if he figured the Giants game was a gimme and he felt he wasn’t necessary to win, so he decided that he was needed at home more. If it was a girlfriend issue then I’d say ‘man up’. The team is family too.

But we don’t know any details so he has to get the benefit of the doubt until further info comes out, if it does.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I’m not crazy about giving either a big contract.
Me either. Paying a player top money carries a ton of risk. They're gonna plug a couple holes in FA, it's a necessity, that and maybe some depth types on top of that. But whoever you go get on that open market make sure it's a guy who is hungry to live up to it. Someone with unfinished business or of such quality as a competitor that you know he's not gonna put his feet up.

Gary Klein used the term "personal reasons" in a zoom conference call earlier today but McVay answered the inquiry using the term "family situation" which was the same term he used on the McVay Show with JB Long.
The moment I heard the term "family situation" I was relieved that there was nothing screwy going on behind the scenes. Not sure why but when I hear "personal reasons" that puts me on edge a bit. But either way I think that Giants game demonstrated Jackson's value to the Rams. It was probably exacerbated by the aggressiveness of the calls, but still I am relieved he's back for SF.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If Alaric finishes strong.. he opens up a couple of possibilities.
They *could* keep him and Noteboom again. Maybe they can rework Boom.. Maybe not.
Maybe Noteboom's performance this year opens up a trade possibility.. I'm open to that as well.

But, if they bring back both of them... they don't *HAVE* to draft a tackle this offseason. They'll have all their picks in 25 as well, at this point..and they could draft one in the first if they had to.

They could also.. though it's very doubtful.. Franchise Jackson in 25 if they didn't come to an agreement they felt comfortable about.. to give them time to develop that tackle.

Who knows? But him being decent opened up possibilities.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Me either. Paying a player top money carries a ton of risk. They're gonna plug a couple holes in FA, it's a necessity, that and maybe some depth types on top of that. But whoever you go get on that open market make sure it's a guy who is hungry to live up to it. Someone with unfinished business or of such quality as a competitor that you know he's not gonna put his feet up.

The moment I heard the term "family situation" I was relieved that there was nothing screwy going on behind the scenes. Not sure why but when I hear "personal reasons" that puts me on edge a bit. But either way I think that Giants game demonstrated Jackson's value to the Rams. It was probably exacerbated by the aggressiveness of the calls, but still I am relieved he's back for SF.
Burns has been on a losing team for so long. I wonder if he would ball out on a contender, or has all the losing dimmed his enthusiasm for football.

That’s the nice part about the trades for Ramsey and Vonn. They wanted to get out and go to a winner. Has Burns bugged the Panthers to trade him so he can compete?

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
Dont think its a huge issue, McVay stated if Alaric wants to share it with you all he can. Dont think he'd say that if it was anything more dire.

Hoping we see him back this week. But Noteboom did well.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
Yeah, Jackson’s absence could have been a blessing in disguise as it got Noteboom a full game at left tackle under his belt before the playoffs. A tune-up if you will.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jackson could end up being a good LT but he needs work on his technique and footwork. Next year will show his commitment to his own development. OL like a lot of players normally show a marked improvement between their first and second years. That said, it normally takes 3 years before a team knows what they have or don't in a player. In Jackson, I think they will have their answers next season.

It's why I expect them to draft at least one OT next year probably in the third or fourth round.

Hello ? This is Alaric Jackson’s 3rd season.As a UDRFA doesn’t he become a FA after the 3rd season as well ?

Don’t know what his value on the open market will be ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Burns has been on a losing team for so long. I wonder if he would ball out on a contender, or has all the losing dimmed his enthusiasm for football.

That’s the nice part about the trades for Ramsey and Vonn. They wanted to get out and go to a winner. Has Burns bugged the Panthers to trade him so he can compete?

Really? I’d say poor examples.

The Jets just made a trade Cook who only signed a one year contract.Wondering who might pick him up ?

The Rams are in good shape & ahead of schedule on where they thought they’d be right NOW!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, Jackson’s absence could have been a blessing in disguise as it got Noteboom a full game at left tackle under his belt before the playoffs. A tune-up if you will.

Noteboom dug in & finished the game with an injury.Sean Mcvay really appreciates Joesph Noteboom a lot & made sure he gave him a Game Ball after the Giants game.

We saw him hold down the fort for Big Whitworth over the years.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
AJ finished the season with a 66.2 grade.. and continued to improve throughout the season.

He finished with a PFF grade similar to Charles Cross and there was no rookie who played the position as well as he did in his first full year there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Contract year for AJ coming up. He's not going anywhere. 2nd round tender likely