Adrian Peterson Arrested.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The problem with studies like that is they are not full pictures. They are usually coming from a place of presumption and looking to verify. Looking at ONE aspect of someones life experience growing and assigning a linear result.....not responsible.
You could conduct a study showing the exact same thing (and there have been these studies) regarding if a kids parents are together or divorced, income level, early education for the child, level of alcohol/drug use in the house, religious affiliation ect.
All of those can play a role in a kid getting into crime or dropping out of school or whatever the negative behavior is....can any one hold the blame? Not really.
Study after study cannot change the fact that people are individuals.

"But because poor children and racial minorities are already less likely to graduate, Meece compared kids who were paddled to kids who weren't while controlling for race and poverty.

"Compared to children who aren't paddled, matched on other factors like family, socioeconomic status, race and so on, children that receive corporal punishment in school are less likely to graduate," he said."

The thing about this single subject in particular is that it's been studied thousands of times. It's one of the most studied social subjects ever.

wrstdude

Rookie
And there it is.

And there what is? The logical fallacy you've fallen into?

Having kids doesn't make one an expert on kids. Conversely, not having kids doesn't mean one can't be correct when it comes to child rearing.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I never really spanked my kids. Sometimes a whack on the behind with an open hand and it wasn't much of a whack. By the time they were in school I didn't even to that. Not that I'm against corporal punishment. Just not my style.

But I can say this. I got spanked with switches and belts when I was kid. And I can say what kept me in line was not my conscience or anything like that. It was fear of getting my ass whipped if my dad found out. And I don't recall any lasting injuries. Heck, I don't even recall any marks left. But I sure was afraid of it.

wrstdude

Rookie
Used to get a wooden spoon when I misbehaved as a kid. Saw many kids come back to class w/ tears in their eyes after getting swatted in middle school too.

Can one turn out fine after being swatted/spanked? Absolutely. Are there better ways to teach your children? There has to be.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
I got spanked with switches and belts when I was kid. And I can say what kept me in line was not my conscience or anything like that. It was fear of getting my ass whipped if my dad found out. And I don't recall any lasting injuries. Heck, I don't even recall any marks left. But I sure was afraid of it.

"My husband used to hit me. That constant state of fear kept me in line. I never forgot to do the dishes again."

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm pretty passionate about this subject but we're clearly sailing in political seas. Best to move on. Great chat.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I remember as a child there were lots of threats of switches, but it never happened. It was pretty common actually to hear many parents mention switches. Others have mentioned belts. I never got 'whooped' by one. But my dad did something that scared me straight every time. He'd either take his belt off or go get his belt, fold it in half, and snap it as loud as he could. It scared the hell out of me!
Sounds like what I do, and it sure works...In fact it works too good....I've done it twice....For some serious things about danger and misbehaving around the house. But very effective....
That's true. It's impossible to prove because we aren't going to do experiments on humans. But the violence studies cut through socio / economic lines.
In the end, for me, I accepted violence wasn't necessary and I used alternative methods. I have friends who spank and whip and their kids do the same things mine do.
Acts of violence are left to the interpretation of the intended target if unseen by others, if viewed by an audience then others will also offer their opinion. If your son/daughter perceives your grabbing his/her neck as "choking", don't you believe he/she thinks, in his/her mind, this is a violent act? Even though it is for a legitimate reason? And, I'm not saying your wrong...No one is right or wrong, what if the acts of the switching kept AP's son from being a mass killer in the future? What if it causes him to be a abuser later? No one knows...If your acts prevent your child from future wrongs, it may have been necesary.
Switches leave welt marks....His son seems a lil young, but what if he had a knife or was playing with fire or smothering a younger sibling? I know it was something serious to get AP to whip him...
Last, I will say, AP seemed a lil callous in regards to his prior son that died. Not sure how you have a son, make AP money, and don't have him in your life? Just seems cold to me.......

fearsomefour

Legend
"But because poor children and racial minorities are already less likely to graduate, Meece compared kids who were paddled to kids who weren't while controlling for race and poverty.

"Compared to children who aren't paddled, matched on other factors like family, socioeconomic status, race and so on, children that receive corporal punishment in school are less likely to graduate," he said."

The thing about this single subject in particular is that it's been studied thousands of times. It's one of the most studied social subjects ever.
Ok, so some good thought went into it.
I am always wary of confirmation bias. But, whatever, seems like as good a study as any other. Sociology doesnt account for the individual, but, I am getting what you are saying.

fearsomefour

Legend
"My husband used to hit me. That constant state of fear kept me in line. I never forgot to do the dishes again."
Apples and oranges. You are comparing an act of discipline to a criminal act. I think most reasonable people would agree the damage done to Petersons good is disturbing. There is no correlation between a spanking (as most would define it....one or two open hand swats on the butt) to someone hitting their wife.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Sounds like what I do, and it sure works...In fact it works too good....I've done it twice....For some serious things about danger and misbehaving around the house. But very effective....

Acts of violence are left to the interpretation of the intended target if unseen by others, if viewed by an audience then others will also offer their opinion. If your son/daughter perceives your grabbing his/her neck as "choking", don't you believe he/she thinks, in his/her mind, this is a violent act? Even though it is for a legitimate reason? And, I'm not saying your wrong...No one is right or wrong, what if the acts of the switching kept AP's son from being a mass killer in the future? What if it causes him to be a abuser later? No one knows...If your acts prevent your child from future wrongs, it may have been necesary.
Switches leave welt marks....His son seems a lil young, but what if he had a knife or was playing with fire or smothering a younger sibling? I know it was something serious to get AP to whip him...
Last, I will say, AP seemed a lil callous in regards to his prior son that died. Not sure how you have a son, make AP money, and don't have him in your life? Just seems cold to me.......

Yeah, you make a fair point but she didn't think I was choking her, she just had no other word for it. We talked and joked about it because she knew it wasn't what it was but she had no other word.

I will just leave it at this: There is no evidence at all that shows whipping improves behavior and piles and piles of studies that show it doesn't. Violence, crime, abuse, are all more prevalent among children who were beaten than those that were not even when compared to control groups.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Apples and oranges. You are comparing an act of discipline to a criminal act. I think most reasonable people would agree the damage done to Petersons good is disturbing. There is no correlation between a spanking (as most would define it....one or two open hand swats on the butt) to someone hitting their wife.

Why is it better to hit a young child than to hit a grown woman? And the wife was being disciplined as well... There's no excuse for assaulting anyone, let alone children and your description of a few swats is not what often happens. Most parents who spank do it out of anger and frustration and people on forums always pretend like it's done in some sweet loving way. I've almost never seen that in my entire life. It's almost always done in anger. And it's not a few light swats either.. but the comparison is exactly the same. Wife beating used to be acceptable in some cultures and I hope spanking also becomes unacceptable over time.

Then finally, a lot of you seem to be under the impression that kids are rude and out of control because they're not being spanked enough, yet the majority of kids today are still being spanked.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I will just leave it at this: There is no evidence at all that shows whipping improves behavior and piles and piles of studies that show it doesn't. Violence, crime, abuse, are all more prevalent among children who were beaten than those that were not even when compared to control groups.
I guarantee it made me a more violent person. That and being bullied, and a bunch of other factors....And I was raised pretty good...Middle class family, great area...If I was raised any worse, I coulda been a monster....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Then finally, a lot of you seem to be under the impression that kids are rude and out of control because they're not being spanked enough, yet the majority of kids today are still being spanked.

First of all the phrase "a lot of you" is really painting with a broad brush and is totally untrue from what I've read in this thread. And yes, I've read every post. And secondly the statement "the majority of kids today are still being spanked" is unprovable. How do you know that?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I was "whipped" as a child ,and I administered corporal punishment to my children, but more to instill fear of authority never to inflict "real" pain nor damage
Creating this kind of fear in a young mind releases chemicals in the brain that can cause permanent brain damage, affecting memory and cognitive function.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, maybe we should ban SPANKING children and bring back CANING adults. I think it might go over better and be more effective. I mean we have a lot of adults in the USA now that act like children and really need a good CANING!!!!!!!!!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Creating this kind of fear in a young mind releases chemicals in the brain that can cause permanent brain damage, affecting memory and cognitive function.

And here I thought it was all that booze I drank and illegal drugs I took during my 20's - or as I like to refer to them "The Lost Years." :rockon: