About McVay’s intriguing “want explosive players in draft” comment...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
I would think a faster RB that could return kicks better than Natson, would be on the list after round 2. I don't see a receiver getting much play right now, with the crowded receiving corps already in placeplace, but would they be able to pass on a guy like Metcalf?

Explosive players are not just found in round one. Maybe they are back to leaning on Sparq scores. Ahead always seemed to be enamored with the elite athlete types.

Suh is an explosive type, same as Matthews.I’d even say Roger Saffold is as well.
As the article does state Wr,Rob,TE. You have to look at KC,NO’s, & NE

Dallas has started to stack there team as well.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Montez Sweat and D.K. Metcalf will both likely be gone in the first 15 picks.

Crazier things have happened , but you are one of the draft gurus. I personally for the first time in have not broke down the draft basically at all.

No way Metcalf is there.not even sure who Sweat is ??
DE ?? CB ?? You do a good job breaking down the draft

Last edited:

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Yea probably, it’s fun to think about though. Sweat is the 6th ranked Edge rusher. He could maybe fall in position we could slide into.

But this is just enthusiastic coach talk. Every player should be somewhat explosion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guys, the last time we heard a Rams head coach speak about drafting "explosiveness" was that POS Rich Brooks speaking about drafting Eddie Kennison and Tony Banks.
Lets all hope the 2020 draft ends up better than that for the Rams.
Well, we did get Ernie Conwell in that draft thus proving that even a blind squirrel can find an acorn...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So before FA started, one of the things I pointed out was that players from last year's draft will play a role in depth or starting positions this year. It was a lot of positions, and we signed a S and two LBs (Fowler and Matthews). We still need some backups at ILB, but we now have a solid starting rotation.

At DL, we have Donald, Brockers, Smart, JFM and Joseph-Day - fans may not be happy about it, but our playing time rotation could already be set across the board. It's entirely possible that we plug Joseph-Day in at NT.

The reason I point this out? The first two drafts, this coaching staff addressed weaknesses not based on personnel, but rather why we were bad and/or lost games. The first was obvious, as Goff had no weapons.

The second draft we needed OL and depth on defense and that's what they drafted. But in the FA and trades we addressed WHY we lost games. CBs and run defense.

This past season, our offense was the main culprit - so far all we've addressed is the defense.

Don't be surprised if nearly every draft pick is for the offensive side of the ball.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So before FA started, one of the things I pointed out was that players from last year's draft will play a role in depth or starting positions this year. It was a lot of positions, and we signed a S and two LBs (Fowler and Matthews). We still need some backups at ILB, but we now have a solid starting rotation.

At DL, we have Donald, Brockers, Smart, JFM and Joseph-Day - fans may not be happy about it, but our playing time rotation could already be set across the board. It's entirely possible that we plug Joseph-Day in at NT.

The reason I point this out? The first two drafts, this coaching staff addressed weaknesses not based on personnel, but rather why we were bad and/or lost games. The first was obvious, as Goff had no weapons.

The second draft we needed OL and depth on defense and that's what they drafted. But in the FA and trades we addressed WHY we lost games. CBs and run defense.

This past season, our offense was the main culprit - so far all we've addressed is the defense.

Don't be surprised if nearly every draft pick is for the offensive side of the ball.

I will not be surprised, I will be stunned if nearly every pick is for the O, Frantik.

As I look at that O roster, I see maybe a couple of picks for the OL. Probably for depth/development.

But on the D? I see either holes or a lot of vets nearing the end of their contracts. This has just gotta be a D heavy draft, man.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

@FrantikRam I’ve noticed that you and I usually don’t see eye to eye, and that’s okay, we’re all free to have our own opinion. But in this case I don’t quite get where you’re coming from.

Yes the Rams have a glaring weakness, or should we say at the very least a lack of depth on the Oline, which will most likely be addressed as you say in the draft. But it will also most likely be addressed yet in a free agent pick up or two.

However the next set of glaring weaknesses, or lack of depth issues is in three main areas. LB’s, Dline (Specifically NT), and DB’s. To say that we could just depend on untested late round draft picks to provide depth and even start in case of an injury would be foolish; especially when the draft could help us bolster our glaring weak spots.

Will we see the offense addressed in the draft yes. In the same token we will see the stronger needs of the defense addressed in the draft.

Again, my opinion. But I’m right.:ROFLMAO:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
However the next set of glaring weaknesses, or lack of depth issues is in three main areas. LB’s, Dline (Specifically NT), and DB’s. To say that we could just depend on untested late round draft picks to provide depth and even start in case of an injury would be foolish; especially when the draft could help us bolster our glaring weak spots.

Will we see the offense addressed in the draft yes. In the same token we will see the stronger needs of the defense addressed in the draft.

Addressing the bolded: They tried that last year to some extent. It didn't work very well. Sometimes late round picks have an impact their first season. More often they have an impact after a year or two of development. But it seems rare that the development is sudden, that they go from no impact to big impact in one season. If they didn't get playing time the year before, how much will they have developed realistically?

Ebu was a higher draft pick than any of the linebackers picked by the Rams last year, AND got significant playing time his rookie season. Even then, he was less than stunning, and Matthews was signed to partially take time from him. Littleton played well as a starter - but he had both gotten a lot of playing time, and was a starter in practice the 2nd half of the season. Barron and Longacre of the starters at the beginning of the season are gone. Ramik Wilson, who started a few games after not being tendered by the Chiefs, is gone. The Rams have spent much of their cap space on upgrading the linebacker group, and I expect at least one decent pick used to further upgrade it. The offense will have some resources used - especially on the OL, and maybe on a RB if the right guy falls to them. But I think you're right - much of the draft will be used to fill holes on the D, and to get developmental guys to replace some of the soon to be free agents there.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I would think a faster RB that could return kicks better than Natson, would be on the list after round 2. I don't see a receiver getting much play right now, with the crowded receiving corps already in placeplace, but would they be able to pass on a guy like Metcalf?

Explosive players are not just found in round one. Maybe they are back to leaning on Sparq scores. Ahead always seemed to be enamored with the elite athlete types.
I could easily see them going after an “explosive “ big receiver or TE if they see one in this draft. The draft may also tell us what they think of Reynolds’ future. Do they think he can build on his size and strength? If not, I’m thinking we could see a smarter Brian Quick type player in this draft.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I could easily see them going after an “explosive “ big receiver or TE if they see one in this draft. The draft may also tell us what they think of Reynolds’ future. Do they think he can build on his size and strength? If not, I’m thinking we could see a smarter Brian Quick type player in this draft.
I would be thrilled if we drafted a TE, or WR who could win that 50/50 ball, 80% of the time.

There are 5 or 6 tight ends, who have really explosive numbers, and have good size 6'4 250 lb range. Only a couple might be valued at our first pick, but there is definitely a chance one or two of these guys slip to the third round, and thre is "explosive" depth through the 5th round, IMO. There is also a lot of wide receivers, who tested extremely well, in the explosive, SPARQ type numbers.

You make a great point on Reynolds, and our future tight end situation, but also, how long will we have Woods? I think WR is a higher priority than one might think, and especially so, if he can play special teams.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will not be surprised, I will be stunned if nearly every pick is for the O, Frantik.

As I look at that O roster, I see maybe a couple of picks for the OL. Probably for depth/development.

But on the D? I see either holes or a lot of vets nearing the end of their contracts. This has just gotta be a D heavy draft, man.

We drafted five defensive players last year that ended up making the team. Fans don't want any of those guys to start and are considering them as holes on the roster - probably because they were later round picks

But aside from our first round pick, all our draft picks will be late round picks. So fans want to replace late round drafted guys with......new late round drafted guys?

Just because we had better options on the roster last year doesn't mean these guys can't play. Now, I won't be surprised if we draft some defensive players - after all, we do have more free agents next year on defense than we do offense. But this year we did not the super bowl because of our offense - not our defense. The offense is the unit that needs to improve. With that in mind, and knowing we spent most of last year's draft on defense, I could see this draft being geared toward the offense.

The perceived holes on defense are mostly thought that way by fans. Wade has shown he likes to roll with unknown ILBs, yet fans have talked about upgrading that spot relentlessly

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@FrantikRam I’ve noticed that you and I usually don’t see eye to eye, and that’s okay, we’re all free to have our own opinion. But in this case I don’t quite get where you’re coming from.

Yes the Rams have a glaring weakness, or should we say at the very least a lack of depth on the Oline, which will most likely be addressed as you say in the draft. But it will also most likely be addressed yet in a free agent pick up or two.

Again, my opinion. But I’m right.:ROFLMAO:

The internet is full of people who think they're right, that's for sure.

But if you think we lack depth at DB, I don't know what to tell you. Our projected 4th CB had several starts last year, and no 4th CB is going to be that good or he wouldn't be a 4th CB. Our 5th CB will be a competition between Hatfield and Peterson, both of whom have shown potential.

Our backup safeties are Countess and Marqui Christian - both played a ton last year.

The only reason we would address CB is because both of our starters are free agents next year.

Matthews is an interesting pickup - he can backup any LB position. We also have a few rookies from last year.

I could see us drafting a NT and CB, but IMO the rest of the draft will be offense.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
It's definitely going to be interesting to see what the Rams do in the draft. I think the only way the Rams draft all defensive or offensive players is if the draft unfolds in a way that that's their highest rated player on the board when they pick. I can't really see that happening.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We drafted five defensive players last year that ended up making the team. Fans don't want any of those guys to start and are considering them as holes on the roster - probably because they were later round picks

But aside from our first round pick, all our draft picks will be late round picks. So fans want to replace late round drafted guys with......new late round drafted guys?

Just because we had better options on the roster last year doesn't mean these guys can't play. Now, I won't be surprised if we draft some defensive players - after all, we do have more free agents next year on defense than we do offense. But this year we did not the super bowl because of our offense - not our defense. The offense is the unit that needs to improve. With that in mind, and knowing we spent most of last year's draft on defense, I could see this draft being geared toward the offense.

The perceived holes on defense are mostly thought that way by fans. Wade has shown he likes to roll with unknown ILBs, yet fans have talked about upgrading that spot relentlessly

Well, first off - the Rams first 4 picks in the 2019 draft are all earlier than where they took JFM as their first 2018 defensive draftee, and significantly earlier than where they took their first linebacker in 2018. I don't know of anybody who is advocating taking later picks with the idea that they will get significant playing time in 2019. That's a strawman position.

At least with the Rams, the promotion of unheralded non-vets to starter has happened only after they showed they could handle it with backup play. Johnson showed he was better than the options early in 2017, so was promoted. Longacre played significantly in 2017 before becoming the starter. Ditto for Ebu. As did Littleton, who was also given starter time in practice in 2017. Wade has not shown any tendency with the Rams to promote young players who haven't shown talent in actual game playing time. He has shown a willingness to give kids a shot as backup when the starters are struggling - see Johnson as well as Longacre, Littleton, and Ebu. We know the Rams feel that there were issues with the linebackers, given the number who had playing time who aren't coming back(eg. Barron, Longacre, Wilson), and given how a large portion of the cap space has been spent on veteran upgrades. We know that despite the Rams not being happy with the linebackers, and their statistical poor performance, Kiser could not get playing time except on special teams where he played fine - but not on the field as part of the defense. That doesn't fit in with the other young players Wade has promoted to starter in the past two seasons.

If Kiser has improved his coverage skills, he might get playing time in 2019 - but it doesn't really fit in with the Rams MO to plan on him being the starter. Even if he is, the Rams have the other ILB as a free agent for 2020, and need to have a plan in place - with a kid who actually gets on the field.

Who they take will depend of course on who falls to them, but even if they liked Kiser a lot before the draft he hasn't shown it on the field, and the Rams can't count on him as a starter yet.

For the other fan fave - Obo - he never made it to training camp, and was on the PUP all season - which means they haven't actually had him in a real practice yet, and means he hasn't had a real practice in well over a year. Hence signing Fowler for a ton of their cap space, and Matthews as a hybrid with much of the rest of their space.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

More I look at it the more I think OL is going to have some serious quality for us at 31 and it should be good into round 2 if they want to move down. You have two good zone interior OL who fit us nicely and maybe an OT possibility or two.

WR has some big and talented kids early on. But I think things would have to fall a certain way for the Rams to go wideout. And there's going to be a good chance teams swoop in front of us if a NT is there (like Lawrence) or a TE (like Fant and it would be swooping in front of us and New England).

But I do hope we go defense. We need some fresh blood on that side of the ball, Lawrence sure would be a shot in the arm to what is already a good front.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

I wouldn't say the offense is the reason we lost games, even the Superbowl.

In that game the team was down one starting wide receiver and basically down the starting running back (who happens to be the best in the NFL). That's tough to overcome. On top of that, one of the best game planning coaches of all time (and notorious cheater) had figured out a tell that the offense had.

Unless you're suggesting that when one of the best players in the NFL goes down his backup should perform at an equal or better level, I'm not sure where we need better players on offense to fix those problems. The interior line was blown up pretty badly, but after the fact everyone has said that the ZBS is inherently susceptible to vertical pressure (to be fair I didn't hear the prior to the game as a concern, but whatever). We're going younger on the interior line and hopefully it pans out like they plan.

Obviously there's always room for improvement, but I'm struggling to see where we can say "a high quality rookie will absolutely improve that position". Not that you've said that, but if we're looking to grab rookies to improve the team then that's essentially what we're saying.

Now on defense there's spots where a high quality rookie can improve the team. And maybe if the defense holds teams to less points, we can sit important starters on offense (like Gurley) earlier and save them for later in the season.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I agree on some things and disagree on some others.
Our top 4 draft picks of the 2018 draft (#89 OT/LG Noteboom, #111 C Allen, #135 DE/DT Franklin-Myers, & #148 ILB Kiser) are likely to start or get near equal time as rotational players in 2019. Up to now, the only hole i'm aware of exists on the DL with the loss of Suh. I wouldn't characterize any of last seasons draftees as 'holes', even the later round guys (#176 RB Kelly, #192 OG Demby, #195 DT Joseph-Day) look like decent depth players, and two or three of them may get significant playing time depending on where the final roster checks in. Our entire 2018 draft could return in 2019, so some may move up the depth chart, but I see very few actually being replaced by the new guys. The Rams currently have 59 players under contract, leaving 21 players to be added prior to camp, whether from the draft & UDFA's or as 2'nd & 3'rd phase free agents following some team CAP cutting.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I agree on some things and disagree on some others.
Our top 4 draft picks of the 2018 draft (#89 OT/LG Noteboom, #111 C Allen, #135 DE/DT Franklin-Myers, & #148 ILB Kiser) are likely to start or get near equal time as rotational players in 2019. Up to now, the only hole i'm aware of exists on the DL with the loss of Suh. I wouldn't characterize any of last seasons draftees as 'holes', even the later round guys (#176 RB Kelly, #192 OG Demby, #195 DT Joseph-Day) look like decent depth players, and two or three of them may get significant playing time depending on where the final roster checks in. Our entire 2018 draft could return in 2019, so some may move up the depth chart, but I see very few actually being replaced by the new guys. The Rams currently have 59 players under contract, leaving 21 players to be added prior to camp, whether from the draft & UDFA's or as 2'nd & 3'rd phase free agents following some team CAP cutting.
I’m not as confident as you are that we can count on Joseph-Day and Demby, seeing as how they never even seen any playing time for the Rams. So to pencil them in as decent depth players might be pushing it. I do feel they could at least be competing for depth and rotational players, but for now that’s as much as I would depend on them at this point.