About McVay’s intriguing “want explosive players in draft” comment...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Is he being serious?

Or is it coachspeak?

A smokescreen?

Hard to say at this point. But if it’s a genuine clue? Let’s see...

Might mean that OL is off the table at #31. OL players are rarely described as explosive.

Might mean that a trade down out of our 1st is less likely. Wouldn’t explosive players be less likely to be found in the 2nd and 3rd rounds?

Are DL players generally considered “explosive”? Maybe if they’re an Aaron Donald, but are there any such likely to be there at #31? Nope.

Most of us think of certain positions as “explosive”, such as RB, WR, maaaaaybe a certain TE (or two), perhaps Edge.

I doubt that there will be an ILB, CB, or S that would be described as explosive sitting there at #31.

Sooooo...

What to make of this McVay comment? Is McVay’s priority at #31 different than that of the pundits and we fans? I’m thinking it’s probably more smokescreen than anything else. But it’s certainly heightened my interest in the Ram draft, if that’s even possible. Lol.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
It’s a deep pass rushing draft. I wonder if he’s referring to Montez sweat. He ranked pretty low. Hope he doesn’t draft Aaron curry or a Vernon gholston.

I’d take DK and ship out cooks.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Whoever the Rams end up selecting, McVay will say we got the explosive guy we wanted all along. It’s post draft coachspeak.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I read it as explosive being synonymous with difference makers. The explosive guys in this draft are the ones who will creep up the draft board as is usual. Fant is explosive for the TE group. Bush is explosive for the ILB group. Bradbury is explosive for the iOL group, etc., etc.

His comments weren't really surprising to me. I think that's what every team is doing with their draft board. Just don't overlook production and the Rams haven't under this regime so no cause for concern.

Ram65

Legend
https://www.therams.com/news/mcvay-wants-explosive-players-out-of-next-month-s-nfl-draft
McVay wants explosive players out of next month’s NFL Draft

Clarence Dennis
STAFF WRITER
The Rams will pick seven times in next month’s NFL Draft in Nashville, Tenn., and head coach Sean McVay is looking to add some fire power to his offense.

v0kdokfuj5ovpi8vmiwt.jpg

Relatively quiet in free agency so far, the Rams have added veteran safety Eric Weddle and re-signed outside linebacker Dante Fowler. So with the defense taking shape and the offense retaining much of its high-flying corps, the head coach and play caller for the league’s No. 2 offense in 2018 wants young players that ‘can create and create explosives.’

“I think when you go back and you look at our tape and say, ‘alright where are some areas that we could be better as coaches, starting out, but what are some of the nuances from a skillset that we are looking for, whether it’s from a receiver, tight end, or running back,” McVay said a day before free agency hit. “In a lot of instances it’s playmakers and guys that can do different things and have a versatile skill set whether it be running back, tight end, or receiver.”

McVay specifically mentioned his club’s upcoming first-round selection and how addressing both safety and edge rusher in free agency gives the personnel staff a bit of flexibility for its choice on the No. 31 pick.

The Rams added just one skill position — former University of Tennessee running back John Kelly — in last year’s draft, which proved to be centered on building depth the trenches in L.A. Now, after rolling out one of the league’s most menacing offenses for much of their NFC Championship season, McVay and the Rams have made it clear bringing in more playmakers isn’t out of the question headed into 2019. Whether it’s bolstering the wide receiver trio of Cooper Kupp, Brandin Cooks, and Robert Woods — which was at one point on pace to total 3,000 yards receiving in 2018 — adding to their tight end tandem, or to their recently dinged-up running backs room, there’s a sense of the more the merrier from the youngest coach to ever lead a team to the Super Bowl in league history.

“That would be something that you would have an open mind, I think you always want to have an ideal way of alright, how many receivers, how many tight ends, how many backs?” McVay added. “But with where we are at, we feel good, but I don’t think you can ever have a large enough depth from a playmaker standpoint.”

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
We are so bored, lol.

Doesn't every coach want explosive players at every position? I get you want smart players as well but you can't be good at this game and not be explosive in some way or another. I don't think there was anything cryptic about McVays quote.

Ram65

Legend
If the above article is what the OP is refferring to then it's offensive players WRs, TEs and RBs.

McVay specifically mentioned his club’s upcoming first-round selection and how addressing both safety and edge rusher in free agency gives the personnel staff a bit of flexibility for its choice on the No. 31 pick.

Could be a little miss direction or not. The defensive line could use a number 1 type player. Free agency isn't over so they could add someone. It wouldn't surprise me if the Rams go offense. I just don't think it will be offensive line.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
It’s still going to be the best player available for the Ram’s needs when they select their first pick in the draft, whether it be Oline Dline WR, LB. It will be what’s best for the Rams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams will pick seven times in next month’s NFL Draft in Nashville, Tenn., and head coach Sean McVay is looking to add some fire power to his offense.

This by itself lets us know this is nothing but coachspeak bs.

Offensive playmakers are last on the needs list.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would think a faster RB that could return kicks better than Natson, would be on the list after round 2. I don't see a receiver getting much play right now, with the crowded receiving corps already in placeplace, but would they be able to pass on a guy like Metcalf?

Explosive players are not just found in round one. Maybe they are back to leaning on Sparq scores. Ahead always seemed to be enamored with the elite athlete types.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think they need to get faster on defense for sure.

And on offense maybe another deep threat to develop wouldn't hurt even just from a depth perspective in case Cooks got hurt.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
It’s a deep pass rushing draft. I wonder if he’s referring to Montez sweat. He ranked pretty low. Hope he doesn’t draft Aaron curry or a Vernon gholston.

Cooks ain’t going anywhere. He will be on the same page as Goff this year even more. I remember them working red zone together after practice during training camp. Copper Kupp will help open things up. He & Woods are pretty kick butt as well. Reynolds needs to get strong, but got some solid experience last season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspect a small, fast RB who can at least block a little is on the menu, if one falls to them fairly late. That or a TE - I don't see what offensive players would fit the Rams needs other than that, that realistically would fall to them.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Guys, the last time we heard a Rams head coach speak about drafting "explosiveness" was that POS Rich Brooks speaking about drafting Eddie Kennison and Tony Banks.
Lets all hope the 2020 draft ends up better than that for the Rams.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
I like cooks. He’s a great player. I think some players make the plays he didn’t in the Super Bowl.
Not saying DK would. And maybe those plays will motivate him.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Guys, the last time we heard a Rams head coach speak about drafting "explosiveness" was that POS Rich Brooks speaking about drafting Eddie Kennison and Tony Banks.
Lets all hope the 2020 draft ends up better than that for the Rams.
Both had okay careers . Eddie The Rams ended up getting a draft pick for.
Banks won a SuperBowl, so if that was to happen behind Goff not a bad thing. Galapapo behind Brady not a bad example.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Montez Sweat and D.K. Metcalf will both likely be gone in the first 15 picks.