About McVay’s intriguing “want explosive players in draft” comment...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't say the offense is the reason we lost games, even the Superbowl.

In that game the team was down one starting wide receiver and basically down the starting running back (who happens to be the best in the NFL). That's tough to overcome. On top of that, one of the best game planning coaches of all time (and notorious cheater) had figured out a tell that the offense had.

Unless you're suggesting that when one of the best players in the NFL goes down his backup should perform at an equal or better level, I'm not sure where we need better players on offense to fix those problems. The interior line was blown up pretty badly, but after the fact everyone has said that the ZBS is inherently susceptible to vertical pressure (to be fair I didn't hear the prior to the game as a concern, but whatever). We're going younger on the interior line and hopefully it pans out like they plan.

Obviously there's always room for improvement, but I'm struggling to see where we can say "a high quality rookie will absolutely improve that position". Not that you've said that, but if we're looking to grab rookies to improve the team then that's essentially what we're saying.

Now on defense there's spots where a high quality rookie can improve the team. And maybe if the defense holds teams to less points, we can sit important starters on offense (like Gurley) earlier and save them for later in the season.

Definitely not suggesting a backup could or should play at the same level - but at the same time, McVay running so many offensive plays so fast with three WRs and 1 RB on the field and rarely subbing those guys means that WR/RB/TE depth is more important for us than it may be for another team - we saw that in the Super Bowl - our offense was historically bad - likely the worst offensive performance in Super Bowl history, and while Belichick is a defensive genius, it's not like we were playing the 85 Bears D.

So if McVay is going to do things the same way, I would prioritize WR along with OL depth and possibly TE in an effort to make sure our offense has options

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I’m not as confident as you are that we can count on Joseph-Day and Demby, seeing as how they never even seen any playing time for the Rams. So to pencil them in as decent depth players might be pushing it. I do feel they could at least be competing for depth and rotational players, but for now that’s as much as I would depend on them at this point.

You are right, I counted them more based on the otherwise lack of depth at their positions and college play rather than any accumulated NFL stats of which there are none.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
It’s a deep pass rushing draft. I wonder if he’s referring to Montez sweat. He ranked pretty low. Hope he doesn’t draft Aaron curry or a Vernon gholston.

I’d take DK and ship out cooks.

You want to ship out a WR who has only gotten less than 1,000 yards once in his career (as a rookie) for a workout warrior who wasn’t even the most productive player on his team? And we’re talking about Aaron Curry? He’s this years Aaron Curry.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Montez Sweat fell. He's incredibly talented, but I think his heart issue could cause him to fall to us. And I hope that if it happens, we take advantage.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
McVay is not aiming high enough. Sure, explosive players are nice, but I want future HOFers in the draft.

Ram65

Legend
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/22/nfl-draft-rams-pick-order-selections-compensatory/

upload_2019-3-25_12-59-54.png

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2018_draft.htm
upload_2019-3-25_13-5-52.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting takes on the up coming draft. Funny we never seem to go how anyone thinks except getting Cooper Kupp! The Rams got the offense up to speed in free agency with Whitworth, Woods, Sullivan and then Watkins replaced by Cooks. They choose 7 defensive players and 4 offensive players plus Cooks for the first round pick. Almost even with the top picks being offense. Getting offensive lineman replacement earlier in the draft.

This year the Rams have early picks at the moment. Trader Les could change that quickly but, I think they go quality over quantity this year. The questions about last years picks remain in our minds. How the Rams view them could effect the draft

JFM should see more playing time.

Kiser should get a shot at least at a rotation player. The thing is we don't know what the Rams are thinking and how effective he will be.

Joseph-Day got a good off season workout program of five days a week at the Rams training facility per D'Marco Farr. Farr also said he looks big and strong!

Obo, Young, Howard and Lawler are all question marks at this point.

Right now it looks like the Rams lack depth on the defensive line this year. They have two starting CB that could be free agents next year. ILBer could be a lacking if Kiser isn't ready. The OLbers look stronger for now. Safety may need help next year.

The Rams will need to rotate in some new offensive line backups as last year's backups become starter. Depth or a play making TE should be a need. The offense looks intact otherwise. Of course depth at RB and WR are always on the menu.

For the first round pick I keep leaning more toward the defense. A stout NT like Lawrence is on my list. When Suh started to really play we all saw the defense on defense he made. Arguments can be made for an IBLer like Bush. Hard to go safety this early but, there are good ones. OBLer/EDGE is always welcome to.

On offense I could see a difference maker like TJ Hockenson getting picked at 31.

The rest of the of the draft is probably be equal on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/22/nfl-draft-rams-pick-order-selections-compensatory/

View attachment 28697

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2018_draft.htm
View attachment 28699
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting takes on the up coming draft. Funny we never seem to go how anyone thinks except getting Cooper Kupp! The Rams got the offense up to speed in free agency with Whitworth, Woods, Sullivan and then Watkins replaced by Cooks. They choose 7 defensive players and 4 offensive players plus Cooks for the first round pick. Almost even with the top picks being offense. Getting offensive lineman replacement earlier in the draft.

This year the Rams have early picks at the moment. Trader Les could change that quickly but, I think they go quality over quantity this year. The questions about last years picks remain in our minds. How the Rams view them could effect the draft

JFM should see more playing time.

Kiser should get a shot at least at a rotation player. The thing is we don't know what the Rams are thinking and how effective he will be.

Joseph-Day got a good off season workout program of five days a week at the Rams training facility per D'Marco Farr. Farr also said he looks big and strong!

Obo, Young, Howard and Lawler are all question marks at this point.

Right now it looks like the Rams lack depth on the defensive line this year. They have two starting CB that could be free agents next year. ILBer could be a lacking if Kiser isn't ready. The OLbers look stronger for now. Safety may need help next year.

The Rams will need to rotate in some new offensive line backups as last year's backups become starter. Depth or a play making TE should be a need. The offense looks intact otherwise. Of course depth at RB and WR are always.

For the first round pick I keep leaning more toward the defense. A stout NT like Lawrence is on my list. When Suh started to really play we all saw the defense on defense he made. Arguments can be made for an IBLer like Bush. Hard to go safety this early but, there are good ones. OBLer/EDGE is always welcome to.

On offense I could a difference maker like TJ Hockenson getting picked at 31.

The rest of the of the draft is probably be equal on both sides of the ball.
Nice write up @Ram65. I pretty much agree with all of it.(y)

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
There were 20 receivers with 1000 yards. We would of had 3 of them if Kupp didn’t get hurt.
Yea I would trade cooks for a guy that’s 5 years younger, just as fast, and taller.
I’m pretty bitter about him dropping 2 TD passes in the super bowl that we lost 13-3.
If I could rewind back to the Super Bowl, I’d called all the dragon balls and wish for Santonio Holmes instead of Cooks.
Have to make those clutch catches to get paid the way he does.

And considering that he’s been traded twice already. It’s not that crazy.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
This past season, our offense was the main culprit - so far all we've addressed is the defense.

Don't be surprised if nearly every draft pick is for the offensive side of the ball.

I get where you are coming from. Down the stretch last season what side of the ball played consistent? The Defense! On the other hand, the Offense struggled to score points against top ranked defenses. The offense is the Rams forte. The O-line has been one of the best in the league but have now have to replace 2/5 ths of it. I think it is a good possibility the Rams draft more players on offense than defense.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I see the only way to translate McVay's comment is that Gurley tore his ACL.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Is he being serious?

Or is it coachspeak?

A smokescreen?

Hard to say at this point. But if it’s a genuine clue? Let’s see...

Might mean that OL is off the table at #31. OL players are rarely described as explosive.

Sooooo...

What to make of this McVay comment? Is McVay’s priority at #31 different than that of the pundits and we fans? I’m thinking it’s probably more smokescreen than anything else. But it’s certainly heightened my interest in the Ram draft, if that’s even possible. Lol.

Here's my 3 cents on this....IMO If I was the HC responsible for that lackluster poor offensive performance & total lack of explosion in this last SB from its offensive players. McVay & Snead (for over two seasons) have hunted & secured their desired explosive players in his offense. McVay/Snead have already truly gifted skilled explosive offensive weapons. :thinking:

If I wanted to magnify & increase these present explosive weapons & the incoming 2019 offensive rookie weapons I would look squarely @ the offensive line in this draft to greatly improve on ALL the current offensive weapons abilities for the 2019 season & the future.

It was the OL that was in "Fail Mode" & sunk McVay's & Snead's chance to win that SB for Ram fans.

Since the conclusion of the 2018 season, McVay's OL has lost 2 long-time veteran starters. One was playing @ Pro Bowl level. He has a starting crucial LT who has been thinking of retirement since he left the Bengals 3 years ago (who is the oldest OT in the NFL coming back for one more tour). He still has the same starting RG who was totally ineffective against average DT's of the Pats Malcolm Brown/ Danny Shelton/ Lawrence Guy.

Just in case you all fell :sleepz:....I just brought out some serious issues on 4 out of the 5 starting 2018 OL'ers above. Can our two 3rd & 4th rd 2018 draft selections solve the four OL issues pending currently? :cautious:

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Is Christian Wilkins an 'Explosive' player??

:bueller:
its said............ That he is more of a ........

Wilkins is a slippery, upfield three-technique with the ability to make plays outside his area.

but he needs to be paired with an attacking front as he lacks the length and strength to hold his ground as a read-and-react tackle.

He's busy and agile as a rusher, which could keep him on the field for more snaps.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
we saw that in the Super Bowl - our offense was historically bad - likely the worst offensive performance in Super Bowl history, and while Belichick is a defensive genius, it's not like we were playing the 85 Bears D.

When your opponents know what you are going to do, pass or run, even an average defense will shut you down. And the TE "tell" Belichick discovered did just that.

McVay got schooled.

I’m pretty bitter about him dropping 2 TD passes in the super bowl that we lost 13-3.

Stahp with the dropped two TD's stuff. Go look at the plays again.