Aaron Kromer is 7th assistant to leave Rams' coaching staff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Long overdue IMO. He simply didn't know how to coach rookies. He clearly didn't understand gap blocking concepts. He only knew zone concepts so that's all the Ram's ran was inside and outside zones, the most simplistic versions of it BTW. He got all the credit in 2018 when he had vets, then 2019 showed how poorly he had developed the young players. He was the offensive version of Wade Phillips in that regard.

Only Kromer would have thought Anchrum is a LT in the NFL, or that Blythe was a starter either at OG or OC. He's kept slow-footed Havenstein at RT and inserted the guy that they drafted to replace Rob at OG and instead had slow-footed Evans as RT backup?. What nonsense. IMO when he was asked about o-line changes he balked. His depth chart and game review was all I needed to see to know this guy is a fraud.

IMO this could portend an O-line positional realignment, i.e. Noteboom to LT, Edwards to RT, Corbett to LG, Evans to RG and probably Shelton or Allen to C.

Good riddance.
Are you available to be our new O line coach?

You obviously know more than Aaron Kromer.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
think the job Kromer did with this ragtag crew is actually pretty commendable.
It was a good 4 year run. I agree he did well with his options but I'm not privy to all the shit that has gone down between the staff.

Maybe Allen was a guy he pounded the table for. Maybe he pounded the table this time on patience with this group or something who knows.

Looks like McVay wants to go another direction either way. Sounds risky to me. But I'm willing to wait and see where this goes. He has hit on a lot of hires.

I was against moving on from Wade. But Staley sure upgraded us.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was against moving on from Wade. But Staley sure upgraded us.

I was on board from moving on from Wade and loved the Staley hire because of Fangio's defense. However, everyone knew going from Fassel to Bonamego was a downgrade and that proved true. I'm good with Morris & love bringing in Joe DeCamillis, anxious to see if McVay goes young at OL Coach or has somebody else in mind.

With the Bonamego hire, I believe he settled, because he was one of the few experienced ST Coaches available and IMO because of Staley being somewhat green, McVay wanted some experience, well, with DeCamillis, he gets both, experience and a glowing resume or Linkedin for younger crowd. So I believe we are all awaiting the new hire, with the complete list of the new coaching staff too.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One of the reasons I valued Wade is that he wasn't poachable. Nobody's gonna hire him as HC. But I get that McVay wanted more schematic diversity and it certainly paid off. Looks like a no brainer now that's for sure.

But I mention Wade for a reason. He's that previous move that also made me feel like oh shit wtf is McVay doing here. All these other coaches got jobs or got passed over by McVay but got jobs elsewhere. But some of these are definitely the types of moves where more is going on.

Using Wade as an example I wonder whether the rationale on the OL job is similar. Being more varied. Able to do more. Queue up the tape of SF and you'll see some smashmouth power runs right at us mixed in with the usual Shanny outside zone. That mixed in power look is important to counter what teams did with the wide looks and six man fronts.

Not sure how all the pieces fit and this move might have nothing to do with all that. But I suspect schematic diversity is a big overarching goal for McVay.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
With the Bonamego hire, I believe he settled, because he was one of the few experienced ST Coaches available
Totally agree, also felt the same with the Wade departure. Wasn't happy about it,
but also was intrigued with the possibilities that Staley's pedigree brought.
With the way McVay's staff is getting plundered every year, we can't expect
him to hit on every assistant.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Queue up the tape of SF and you'll see some smashmouth power runs right at us mixed in with the usual Shanny outside zone.

Exactly!!
There were games where we were simply were not physical enough up front on offense.
If there was one thing that I was envious of, it was the shear power of the SF offense.
I remember watching them bring in the fullback on the goal line against us, and after they scored
thinking Damn that's power football at its best.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Exactly!!
There were games where we were simply were not physical enough up front on offense.
If there was one thing that I was envious of, it was the shear power of the SF offense.
I remember watching them bring in the fullback on the goal line against us, and after they scored
thinking Damn that's power football at its best.
Yep. I feel this. Always hate playing the 9ers because they're SO physical and powerful and it seems like when we play teams who are very physical and powerful, we lose.. just seems like the Rams will put their tail between their legs and roll over to them.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Totally agree, also felt the same with the Wade departure. Wasn't happy about it,
but also was intrigued with the possibilities that Staley's pedigree brought.
With the way McVay's staff is getting plundered every year, we can't expect
him to hit on every assistant.
Is all this plundering going to show up in more losses? KC and Tampa have been pretty consistent with their staffs the last few years and the Rams seemingly have a revolving door of coaches. Finding and integrating new people into the organization takes time and energy that could be spent elsewhere.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Is all this plundering going to show up in more losses? KC and Tampa have been pretty consistent with their staffs the last few years and the Rams seemingly have a revolving door of coaches. Finding and integrating new people into the organization takes time and energy that could be spent elsewhere.
Not sure about the losses, but what do you do? It's not like McVay can control coaches be plundered.
Maybe he could have blocked some interviews, but the last thing you want as a HC is a reputation
of being a dead end opportunity employer.