Aaron Kromer is 7th assistant to leave Rams' coaching staff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if they move Havenstein then it gets really interesting.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Alot of theories on the reason behind Kromers exit. I will throw out mine. Maybe Kromer got a bit envious of other coaches getting better gigs elsewhere. Maybe he wanted his duties elevated with the Rams so he could he could enhance his resume. He has been with McVay from the start and has watched Lefleur, Taylor, Staley and Waldron all get promotions. Maybe he is thinking what about me?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Alot of theories on the reason behind Kromers exit. I will throw out mine. Maybe Kromer got a bit envious of other coaches getting better gigs elsewhere. Maybe he wanted his duties elevated with the Rams so he could he could enhance his resume. He has been with McVay from the start and has watched Lefleur, Taylor, Staley and Waldron all get promotions. Maybe he is thinking what about me?
Perhaps. But those guys you named had units they'd coached up. Kromer never really elevated any of our young players game. They never seemed better year to year. He inherited some stud veterans, and that's when our line was best.

So those guys seemingly have bad a better and more noticeable track record.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Perhaps. But those guys you named had units they'd coached up. Kromer never really elevated any of our young players game. They never seemed better year to year. He inherited some stud veterans, and that's when our line was best.

So those guys seemingly have bad a better and more noticeable track record.
Shane Waldron was our QB coach and now OC for Seattle. How did he coach up Goff?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Shane Waldron was our QB coach and now OC for Seattle. How did he coach up Goff?
No, I guess I was thinking Pleasant who got a "coaching promotion" in DET.

Barry and Kromer to me are similar, they were OK at there job and aren't a loss. I'm excited for some fresh minds.

oldnotdead

Legend
This one sounds like more like he was shown the door the others, doesn’t it?

Long overdue IMO. He simply didn't know how to coach rookies. He clearly didn't understand gap blocking concepts. He only knew zone concepts so that's all the Ram's ran was inside and outside zones, the most simplistic versions of it BTW. He got all the credit in 2018 when he had vets, then 2019 showed how poorly he had developed the young players. He was the offensive version of Wade Phillips in that regard.

Only Kromer would have thought Anchrum is a LT in the NFL, or that Blythe was a starter either at OG or OC. He's kept slow-footed Havenstein at RT and inserted the guy that they drafted to replace Rob at OG and instead had slow-footed Evans as RT backup?. What nonsense. IMO when he was asked about o-line changes he balked. His depth chart and game review was all I needed to see to know this guy is a fraud.

IMO this could portend an O-line positional realignment, i.e. Noteboom to LT, Edwards to RT, Corbett to LG, Evans to RG and probably Shelton or Allen to C.

Good riddance.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Long overdue IMO. He simply didn't know how to coach rookies. He clearly didn't understand gap blocking concepts. He only knew zone concepts so that's all the Ram's ran was inside and outside zones, the most simplistic versions of it BTW. He got all the credit in 2018 when he had vets, then 2019 showed how poorly he had developed the young players. He was the offensive version of Wade Phillips in that regard.

Only Kromer would have thought Anchrum is a LT in the NFL, or that Blythe was a starter either at OG or OC. He's kept slow-footed Havenstein at RT and inserted the guy that they drafted to replace Rob at OG and instead had slow-footed Evans as RT backup?. What nonsense. IMO when he was asked about o-line changes he balked. His depth chart and game review was all I needed to see to know this guy is a fraud.

IMO this could portend an O-line positional realignment, i.e. Noteboom to LT, Edwards to RT, Corbett to LG, Evans to RG and probably Shelton or Allen to C.

Good riddance.
Yeah, I could see that. Might be good to have an outsider come in and re-evaluate things. Who is the best choice at RT? Can anyone on the roster move to C?

With our luck they move a G to C and he gives Stafford a bad snap and breaks a finger ala Kurt Warner.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Throw out another theory/guess here. Kromer wanted to keep Saffold and Sullivan. Kromer wanted to draft people last year to upgrade the failed picks of Noteboom and Allen but couldn't get them. Kromer doesn't like McVay and Sneads shopping of Havenstein because it further weakens his group. Just more guesses to throw against the wall.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I doubt this. He has been an O-line coach for many years. He has had many opportunities himself and has seen many coaches he's worked with promoted over the years..... why now?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Throw out another theory/guess here. Kromer wanted to keep Saffold and Sullivan. Kromer wanted to draft people last year to upgrade the failed picks of Noteboom and Allen but couldn't get them. Kromer doesn't like McVay and Sneads shopping of Havenstein because it further weakens his group. Just more guesses to throw against the wall.

Could be. No doubt McVay has had the final word on personnel and where resources are spent.

We should at least see from what McVay does next what the disagreement moving forward was about.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
You must have never heard of the theory that continuity on the O line is one of the keys to success.

That mix and match scenario you just provided would lose us three out of four of our first games, more than likely and could get Stafford killed.

Allen will never be a quality starter in the NFL, IMO.

I don't know how long you've been a Rams fan but you must have a short memory. Remember those incredibly sucky lines of Boudreau and the way they tried to patch them together with busted down veterans like Scott Wells and Jake Long?

What did they even give Kromer to work with?

A third round draft pick with Bobby Evans and a 5th w/ David Edwards?

All the other low draft picks are to be determined.

It's a miracle Wentworth has hung on this long.

I think the job Kromer did with this ragtag crew is actually pretty commendable.

He only had one bad offensive line where Havenstein was injured and they foisted Allen on him at Center in a totally rebuilt line that actually Kromer was able to solidify towards the end of the year.

Kromer improved the line greatly last year and I think they would have improved even further this year under his coaching.

Last edited: