Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ms-aaron-donalds-reps-dont-agree-on-dts-value

Rams, Aaron Donald's reps don't agree on DT's value
0ap1000000236552.jpg

Kevin Patra
Around the NFL Writer

Aaron Donald continues to hold out from Los Angeles Rams training camp in hopes of getting a new contract.

With Donald seeking to become the highest paid defensive player in NFL history, sides haven't been able to breach the gap in contract negotiations. Rams COO Kevin Demoff told Mighty 1090 AM in San Diego on Wednesday that the team and Donald's reps differ on the defensive tackle's value.

"I don't think they're unrealistic," Demoff said, via The Rams Wire. "I think they see their client at a certain point that they value at, we see it at a different point. To me, that doesn't mean one side is right or wrong. I think that's the worst thing you can say in negotiations. We don't agree, but that doesn't make us right and them wrong. It doesn't make them right and us wrong. We just don't agree. And hopefully we can find that magic bullet to go get there and agree."

Donald is seeking to surpass the 6-year, $114 million contract Ndamukong Suh signed in 2015, and the $19.016 million per year average deal Von Millerinked. Most reports have Donald looking to make QB money on his long-term deal.

The 27-year-old Defensive Player of the Year is slated to make $6.892 million in 2018 on the fifth year of his rookie contract.

The Rams' brass has been optimistic throughout the process a deal could get done before the season. Demoff added on Wednesday that he believes the sides will "ultimately wind up in a productive place."

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ms-aaron-donalds-reps-dont-agree-on-dts-value

0ap1000000236552.jpg

Kevin Patra
Around the NFL Writer

Aaron Donald continues to hold out from Los Angeles Rams training camp in hopes of getting a new contract.

With Donald seeking to become the highest paid defensive player in NFL history, sides haven't been able to breach the gap in contract negotiations. Rams COO Kevin Demoff told Mighty 1090 AM in San Diego on Wednesday that the team and Donald's reps differ on the defensive tackle's value.

"I don't think they're unrealistic," Demoff said, via The Rams Wire. "I think they see their client at a certain point that they value at, we see it at a different point. To me, that doesn't mean one side is right or wrong. I think that's the worst thing you can say in negotiations. We don't agree, but that doesn't make us right and them wrong. It doesn't make them right and us wrong. We just don't agree. And hopefully we can find that magic bullet to go get there and agree."

Donald is seeking to surpass the 6-year, $114 million contract Ndamukong Suh signed in 2015, and the $19.016 million per year average deal Von Millerinked. Most reports have Donald looking to make QB money on his long-term deal.

The 27-year-old Defensive Player of the Year is slated to make $6.892 million in 2018 on the fifth year of his rookie contract.

The Rams' brass has been optimistic throughout the process a deal could get done before the season. Demoff added on Wednesday that he believes the sides will "ultimately wind up in a productive place."
Hey look. A reporter did a piece on AD that sheds exactly zero new light. These guys are GOOD.

Can you believe this guy’s notion that the two sides haven’t agreed on the value in the contract? I would have never guessed. But it DOES explain the hold up. I bet if they agreed, there would be a signed contract. But what do I know. Am I off on this?

BTW rambitious, this was not aimed at you - just the great reporting out there.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hey look. A reporter did a piece on AD that sheds exactly zero new light. These guys are GOOD.

Can you believe this guy’s notion that the two sides haven’t agreed on the value in the contract? I would have never guessed. But it DOES explain the hold up. I bet if they agreed, there would be a signed contract. But what do I know. Am I off on this?

It contributed to the #questfor100. This thread has been making headway the past few days.

Less than 40 more pages to go!!!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I understand your meaning, but that Demoff said they don't agree on the value is significant. Most people in the media and most Rams fans were just saying "pay the man" - but this makes you wonder if it might never get done.

Rainram

Starter

...And he got paid for it.

Can I listen to an interview Demoff does on a radio station, type up a brief transcript of it, and get paid??

If I do it for a full year and for different teams, how much can I make? $40K? $50K?

I’m just thinking that’s a real easy supplemental income.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Come and get me and take me to LA Bc I miss the team. Your move Mr. France.

No , no, no, what he's ACTUALLY saying is hey, you 31 other teams, put up the cash and draft picks and come get me. Clearly, this is what he's referring to.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No , no, no, what he's ACTUALLY saying is hey, you 31 other teams, put up the cash and draft picks and come get me. Clearly, this is what he's referring to.

couldn't he come up with something more original? earl thomas already has the "come get me" line down pat.

…..

Legend
this all just turned soap opera to me.

Sometimes I live my life in shifts based on my work schedule. My next life shift will be over Tuesday and I'll have a few days off.

I'll know the next chapter in this saga when the shift is over.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I'm already on day 3. Water fast, no juice. Was going to start eating tomorrow but Ill go until Wednesday. You hear that AD? No Monday pot roast for me you sick bastard! I hope you're happy eating ribs or whatever this weekend but remember, my slender 235 pound frame is withering away.
Just know I'll be thinking of you @wolfdogg while I fast. Oops, I mean feast.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like the dude just wants to play football.

Great. He has the power to do so. He's under contract, he could report. Alternatively, I doubt the Rams are offering a horrible contract. They gave Cooks and Gurley large contracts, market making in the case of Gurley. Jenkins bitched about his contract offer, but he is enough of a head case I don't blame the Rams for not wanting to make him one of if not the highest paid CBs. Johnson is good, but again, not market making good. Watkins is a fine receiver, but he managed 39 receptions last season, and has a history of not living up to his talent. I see little reason to doubt that the Rams would gladly make AD the highest paid non-QB in the league. But QB pay has taken a sharp spike - and I see that as substantially because the rules have gradually changed to where QBs are much more valuable than other positions, even more so than a decade ago. Wanting to be paid like a good QB, or even 80% of that, does not reflect the NFL in 2018.

So if AD really wants to play, let him get a record contract. If he's holding out for more, tough luck.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
This situation is becoming a marathon, to the point where its becoming so f’n redundant. I’m tired of reading about it.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Anyone else remember the drama we went through with Pace back in the day? Holdout, franchise tag, holdout, franchise tag, holdout, etc.. He didn't get a new, long term deal until he fired his agent and represented himself if I recall correctly.

I'm thinking it's maybe time Donald started considering a similar approach.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I'm thinking it's maybe time Donald started considering a similar approach.
How smart would this be? Instead of paying 10% to his agent, he clears the full 100%. He can take home more, we can sign him for less. Win win.

Status
Not open for further replies.