Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Paid him almost 15% of the teams cap and didn't get much in return. You can't pay players that much coin when they don't have a huge impact on the field. And what I mean by that is, how often does AD touch the ball a season? 2 maybe 3 times? Point is he doesnt have the same impact as say.. a QB, WR, or RB. And that's the disconnect that some fans don't see, simply saying "pay the man" doesn't help this team out long term

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

Waiting on either to bite on a new deal, I can see two outcomes:
  • Mack signs a new deal and Donald will use that as a benchmark for higher pay
  • Donald signs a new deal first and Mack signs matching Donald's contract

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
this is really quite simple...

giphy.gif

No matter how much he considers his money to be? What if he wanted 50% of cap space per season? Are the Rams allowed to factor in what they feel is best for the overall team? They're going to spend all their cap space, after all. Just they may have other players they feel are important too.

I've asked this before - in the salary cap era, how many defenders who got 20% of cap space as their salary completed their contracts, instead of being cut when the team decided they were a liability overall. How many of those successful contracts were in the recent past, after the NFL began changing rules to favor the passing game?

It's a lot more complex than "Pay that man his money."

Psycho_X

Legend
If Goff was holding out this year or contract was up after this offseason paying Donald would be a hard sale because everyone is right... the QB position is worth paying more than the DT position every time no question. But, if you don't need to pay a QB for a few years you might as well pay your other dominant players now. Donald by himself can't win games, that much was obvious against Atlanta last season when he had one of the most dominant performances by a DT in a while and we still lost. But if you pair Donald with people like Suh, Talib, Peters, Brockers, etc. suddenly you have a recipe for possibly a number 1 defense. And I think that's worth the price for a while.

Now is the time to pay someone like Donald and other elite talent before the QB needs paid. Right now, in my opinion, it makes perfect sense to pay Donald top defensive player money. There's no point in arguing "you don't pay a non-QB that kind of money" when you don't have a QB needing to be paid that money for a few years. We have plenty of cap space next season to find ways for them to take care of the "bad" part of ADs contract before Goff's time to be paid.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Paid him almost 15% of the teams cap and didn't get much in return. You can't pay players that much coin when they don't have a huge impact on the field. And what I mean by that is, how often does AD touch the ball a season? 2 maybe 3 times? Point is he doesnt have the same impact as say.. a QB, WR, or RB. And that's the disconnect that some fans don't see, simply saying "pay the man" doesn't help this team out long term
You absolutely can. You just have to draft well and have good coaching, Miami didn’t do either.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Boy, it's fun to read these exaggerated, misdirection ploy, while avoiding the reasoning of the one you're quoting, and bringing useless but deceiving information, healthy discussions and debates.:cautious::sneaky::fuelfire::confused::shocking::fighting:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
No matter how much he considers his money to be? What if he wanted 50% of cap space per season? Are the Rams allowed to factor in what they feel is best for the overall team? They're going to spend all their cap space, after all. Just they may have other players they feel are important too.

I've asked this before - in the salary cap era, how many defenders who got 20% of cap space as their salary completed their contracts, instead of being cut when the team decided they were a liability overall. How many of those successful contracts were in the recent past, after the NFL began changing rules to favor the passing game?

It's a lot more complex than "Pay that man his money."
There's one hole in your argument. There has never been a player of Aaron Donalds caliber that got paid that way. Like, literally ever. He's a HOF player. And could be even better this year.

Problem as fans is, we can't worry about the future. We don't even have the ability to. The Rams have been terrible for so long that I would accept 5 years of complete domination including 3 Superbowl wins. And then another 10 years of suck.

A minute on the lips is worth a lifetime on the hips.

PAY THAT MAN.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Conversely, how many times does he keep other people from touching the ball?
Or advancing it?

Still doesn't have the same impact as a QB WR or RB. Sorry but it's true. It's why they have designations for each position when it comes to FA.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Conversely, how many times does he keep other people from touching the ball?
Or advancing it?
That’s a valid point. Not sure that equation worked out too well against ATL but it is certainly something that has to be considered.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake

See that's where I disagree with you. Yeah they got 3 years of good play out of him. Yeah, he's the 2nd best DT in the league. But did he take the dolphins to a championship? Not even close. You know who is capable of taking teams to the playoffs or SB? Quarterbacks, we've all seen a QB take a team and put it on his shoulders and carry them. How would the packers look without Aaron Rodgers? Thats a scary thought. How would the Rams look without AD? I'd bet they'd still be a playoff team. And on the flip side of that I seem to remember our team being a 4 win team with AD. So there's always that too.
And ok RB was a poor choice to use as an example. lol.

My point and many others as well is you can't pay him QB money. It's not a smart investment.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Still doesn't have the same impact as a QB WR or RB. Sorry but it's true. It's why they have designations for each position when it comes to FA.
Oh I know that. I'm just saying you can't assign value based solely on who touches the ball. I mean how often do guys like Khalil Mack or Calais Campbell or Von Miller touch the ball? You also can't use that 'ball toucher' metric to validate guys like Bradford getting a $70M blind contract, or giving huge sums of money to guys like Brock Osweiller - simply because they play important positions. It's all about fit and core players you can build around.

Status
Not open for further replies.