Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Kalil Mack didn"t show up for camp either, and I'll bet none of you guys care. It's just business, right? BTW, Aaron Donald is better than Mack and should be paid more- lol!

No one cares because you can't pay a DT quarterback money. Plain and simple

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I ran across this somewhere else.

I can't post the tweet but here is a copy/paste:

Someone named Eric Geller whom is a freelanceer that covers LA sports franchises.

Donald's agent is doing him no favors, and he is freaking with his future in ways that Donald should resent IMO.

Just got confirmation. SOURCES: L.A. @RamsNFL offering @AaronDonald97 4 yr. $21M per making AD highest paid D player in NFL history. AD’s agent “insulted” by offer. He’s looking for north of $25M per for AD which is QB $$. Not going to happen, nor should it. #MobSquad #SignAD99

If his agent is insulted by that then he can just sit and we either trade him or he spends the next three years in his prime not playing football. He holds no leverage In this.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Come at me with some real news that either comes from the Rams organization or from Donald's camp, not this shriveled up opinions of those who have absolutely nothing concrete to say. Obviously they have no more to offer than any of us here do. So quit treating these opinions as news.

Normally I would agree with you. But why would all the reports come out after a year of being tight lipped on both sides? Everywhere I turn, a new tweet comes out. Now we're seeing an actual dollar amount being thrown around. The old cliche, where there's smoke there's fire.

I have a feeling someone is starting to leak this info. And it usually means the negotiations are not going well. Someone is trying to get the court of public opinion on their side and I don't think its Donald. Seems like most fans don't want to pay him top tier quarterback money.

I gotta think something happened. If its true that his agent was "Insulted" by their offer, perhaps both sides shut the door on each other. Which resulted in one side leaking information.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Normally I would agree with you. But why would all the reports come out after a year of being tight lipped on both sides? Everywhere I turn, a new tweet comes out. Now we're seeing an actual dollar amount being thrown around. The old cliche, where there's smoke there's fire.

I have a feeling someone is starting to leak this info. And it usually means the negotiations are not going well. Someone is trying to get the court of public opinion on their side and I don't think its Donald. Seems like most fans don't want to pay him top tier quarterback money.

I gotta think something happened. If its true that his agent was "Insulted" by their offer, perhaps both sides shut the door on each other. Which resulted in one side leaking information.

Trade him to the browns. Two first round picks and their LT lol

Let these players know they aren't untouchable.
That would send a strong message to all these players asking for these unreasonable contracts. F it

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
If they can't get this resolved (I think they will) losing AD will hurt the D way worse than the loss of London Fletcher. The Rams better keep top shelf DBs and LBs with a high scoring O going forward because QBs will have another 1-2 seconds in the pocket to make plays. May not hurt quite as much this year having Suh, but it will have a huge negative impact. I can't fault the Rams for their offer if it's true (21 per for 4 years, 75%(63) guaranteed) is a fair offer, but on the low side IMO. I wouldn't have a problem going 23-25 per. This FO has shown they will pay their elite O players, but have not shown they will also pay their elite D players. AD should be the core of this Rams D. With McVay being an O-oriented HC, maybe its inevitable that the Rams will become one of those teams with a high scoring O with an average to below average D where they have to win shootouts.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Trade him to the browns. Two first round picks and their LT lol

Let these players know they aren't untouchable.
That would send a strong message to all these players asking for these unreasonable contracts. F it

If the rumored deal and reaction by AD's representation is true, a trade is a possibility.

If they can't get this resolved (I think they will) losing AD will hurt the D way worse than the loss of London Fletcher. The Rams better keep top shelf DBs and LBs with a high scoring O going forward because QBs will have another 1-2 seconds in the pocket to make plays. May not hurt quite as much this year having Suh, but it will have a huge negative impact. I can't fault the Rams for their offer if it's true (21 per for 4 years, 75%(63) guaranteed) is a fair offer, but on the low side IMO. I wouldn't have a problem going 23-25 per. This FO has shown they will pay their elite O players, but have not shown they will also pay their elite D players. AD should be the core of this Rams D. With McVay being an O-oriented HC, maybe its inevitable that the Rams will become one of those teams with a high scoring O with an average to below average D where they have to win shootouts.

I am sure Wade wants AD in horns just as much as all of us do. But that aside it's important to remember that Wade does not need a great 3T to field a top defense. The Rams are going to win with or without AD, because they have high end coaching on both sides of the ball. In the event AD prices himself out of horns, for example, and the Rams end up with say two first round picks they could end up adding a LT and NT with Suh sliding over to 3T under an extension and not necessarily miss a beat.

Quality drafting moving forward, and paying the guys who want to be here and who deserve it is the key for this organization. No one player is greater than the whole. IMO. Not even AD.

Ram65

Legend
I can't fault the Rams for harder ttheir offer if it's true (21 per for 4 years, 75%(63) guaranteed) is a fair offer, but on the low side IMO. I wouldn't have a problem going 23-25 per. This FO has shown they will pay their elite O players, but have not shown they will also pay their elite D players. AD should be the core of this Rams D.

Rams have to draw the line on money somewhere. I like 22 Million but, could see 23 Million. Even those numbers are harder to give for a great DT. Hope they can get it done soon.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Star players that refuse to show up due to a contract impasse do get traded. And while the trade value for a normal disgruntled player with a six game contract might be low, AD is a different thing entirely.

If the Rams do move him, I guarantee it won't be for pennies on the dollar.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
So the agent says that the agent is insulted? So what?

This is just low brow / high dollar negotiating. I mean, it'd be different if AD was insulted and said he wanted out or if the agent was insulted and walked out of negotiations, but there's no hint of any of those things.

As a reminder, AD's agency, CAA, used tag-team agents for a good cop/bad cop tactic on Joey Bosa's contract. If they're doing the same here, be prepared to hear all kinds of fire/flame from the bad cop side of the negotiations.
--------

No, no, no, no . . . no trade for draft picks, please. Picks are fool's gold. I remember the ED trade and results and six years after RGIII, we got just 1 guy, Brockers.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Star players that refuse to show up due to a contract impasse do get traded. And while the trade value for a normal disgruntled player with a six game contract might be low, AD is a different thing entirely.

If the Rams do move him, I guarantee it won't be for pennies on the dollar.
Maybe they can get nickels or dimes on the dollar, but you're not going to get some unbelievable windfall when the team trading for him also has to sign him (he's unlikely to play another game without a new contract). IMO You'd be lucky to get 1 1st round pick, maybe could get 2 or 3 mid-round (2-5) picks or maybe 1-2 of their good, but not great or elite, players on the last year of their contracts. That is the max I think they could get.

You pay the player, not the position. That is the mistake the Rams made with London Fletcher.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Normally I would agree with you. But why would all the reports come out after a year of being tight lipped on both sides? Everywhere I turn, a new tweet comes out. Now we're seeing an actual dollar amount being thrown around. The old cliche, where there's smoke there's fire.[/QUOT
Because training camps are now starting, so everyone is speculating. No sources have been quoted. And are these numbers any different than what all of have been guessing. Again, they're guessing too, but making it sound like fact.
I have a feeling someone is starting to leak this info
And that's exactly how they want people to react, even though they have nothing to back their opinions up.
If its true that his agent was "Insulted" by their offer, perhaps both sides shut the door on each other
Something like this happening would have caused both sides to come out in the open in order to save face. Don't let the media's speculations without sources suck you in. This time of year the media will be scouring for stories, even to the point of fabricating stories without actually lying. That's why they such things as, "WE Believe" instead of , "We Found Out" or "We Heard."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It feels like this is heating up and should lead to something.

I expect it to work out.

However, Donald has TONS of trade value. I don’t agree with the presumption he doesn’t. Yes, it will need to be a trade on the condition of an extension, but we have seen that happen plenty of times.

Turducken

Starter
There's nothing disingenuous about it. That's a bullcrap response. Donald gets hated on for playing the game. I'm telling people that they're backing the billionaire over the millionaire. Kroenke and the owners acted in their best business interest in enacting the salary cap to protect their profits, and Donald is acting in his best business interests now by trying to get max value on his contract. Donald should not be expected to take less so that Kroenke can make more. Don't hate the player; hate the game.
If I hated the game, I wouldn't give a s#!t about the player.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, no, no, no . . . no trade for draft picks, please. Picks are fool's gold. I remember the ED trade and results and six years after RGIII, we got just 1 guy, Brockers.

How likely would it be for an established player to still be around 6 years later??

There is value in having players cheaply for four seasons, even if they leave after that. Jenkins was very good for 4 seasons. Bailey was useful for very cheap, until he was shot. He was a vet by the time he got shot - could have happened to a vet that was traded for. Stacy had that nice season for cheap, then got replaced by someone better. Ogletree was good, then got put into a different position, and sucked. And then the Rams got a pick for him. Robinson was a bomb - of a sort unlikely for the Rams to pick again.

Most importantly, while I don't expect every draft pick to be a success, I trust the current Rams administration to have a solid draft success rate.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Come on guys, were all on the same team here. Dont forget that we all want what's best for The Rams organization. Theres no need to fight or belittle one another because of a difference in opinion. Sometimes reading some of these threads reminds me of politics. At the end of the day what will be will be. Leave it at that. Discuss, debate, but don't belittle. Jeez.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

ya know, if this thread was tacked onto the original ad contract thread we would probably already have 100 pages. boo to whoever started this new thread to discuss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.