49ers at Rams Vent Thread.... Have at it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I will say this, this isn't college but if it were and you just lost 4 in a row to your rival you would hand over the keys yourself

Embarrassing!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fuck.

Every player and every coach on that roster should hang their head in shame for that one. We got beat by an inferior, beat up team. No excuse.

I've been on the Goff wagon but this is where I put a foot on the ground and consider getting off of it. He has become an absolute turnover machine and it is killing us. Couple that with a few misses of wide open guys today (e.g., the Hendo miss, which would have been a TD). Last week he shook off a shaky 2nd half (after a pretty good 1st half) to lead the Rams to the winning score. This week he completely lays an egg and puts us in a huge hole. More than anything, his problem is consistency. We've seen him play at a high level, but when he plays at a low level, he is one spastic fuckup.

Defense (Staley included) does not get off the hook in this game. You just let Nick Mullens ... NICK FUCKING MULLENS ... drive for two scores at crunch time. Last week you hold the Bucs to a little over 250 yards on offense and make crunch time plays to stop Tom Brady when the game is on the line, and this week you can't even stop Nick Mullens?? Seriously? Can't stop the Niners with Kittle out? And why the hell was Ramsey not put on Geebo Samuel?

McVay ... seriously, dude? Jeff Fisher, aka Mediocrates, NEVER lost to the 49ers 4 times in a row. You have. This offseason needs to be dedicated to building the team in such a way that we can beat those cocksuckers, even when their healthy. The fact that we can't even beat them when they are more beat up than Madonna's vagina after a gangbang with the Houston Rockets is completely unacceptable.

This team overall is such a fucking tease. They have talent - lots of it. While they have some weaknesses, they aren't necessarily glaring (kicker was, but it's looking like we might have solved that problem). We've seen the offense play very well at times. We've seen the defense play lights out at times. But what they are missing is consistency. The D has put together some really solid games, but today they folded when they were needed most. The O is like a roller coaster with huge highs and deep lows, looking really good for stretches and then they go through stretches where it looks like Boras is coordinating them (all the more inexcusable with the level of talent we have). This comes back to coaching. McVay has to figure out a way to get more consistency out of these guys. It's maddening that every game seems to be like Forest Gump's box of chocolates, as you never know what you're going to get.

Spleen vented. For now anyway.

I get what you're saying, but the defense allowed 16 points, forced three turnovers and scored 7 themselves.

In the NFL, that's incredibly impressive for a defense. We beat our season averages in both points allowed and turnovers.
Nobody watched that expo on great QB play between the Pats and Cardinals today, eh?
Nobody caught that last game we played Russell Wilson? How many picks has he thrown the last 3 weeks Nobody watched Tom Brady vs the Saints?

There are QBs worse than Goff. Doesn't mean he's good enough.

Probably don't want to get into that type of comparison because after today I think Goff, statistically, is probably now in the 20th best QB range. He's also probably close to leading the league in turnovers

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Way to miss the point.

Goff has played like ass. Today was awful. But its not like some of you are suggesting that getting any different QB would somehow mean we won't lose and have games where other QBs look like ass too.

43 year old Brady still has played better. Russell played his way out of the mvp talk. The midget was supposed to be the next big thing.

Sigh is right.
No I think it's actually you wjo missed the point. This is closer to Goff's baseline than a lot of good qbs. You're acting like this is once in a blue moon when Goff has actually struggled since week 11 of 2018.

So again, he's not comparable to Russ or brady because russ and brady have proven that bad stretches are "just" stretches. Meanwhile Goff has been inconsistent for quite a long time. And that is why we're lamenting.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All that because AD didn't know his name last time?

FOH... some of these young dudes think respect is deserved, not earned.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I will say this, this isn't college but if it were and you just lost 4 in a row to your rival you would hand over the keys yourself

Embarrassing!
Damn good valid reason to do so. It is just we are stuck with it til the end of the season.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I’ve been as big a Goff backer as anyone, but I have to admit that (just like everyone else here) I see the consistent recurrence of bad habits.

It’s just that whole “Plan B” thing that scares the hell out of me.

Sorry to be cruel, but let me throw out there a few recent names (within the last 15 years) of Rams starting qb’s, just as a little refresher:

Kellen Clemens, Keith Null, Kyle Boller, Austin Davis, AJ Feely, Shaun Hill, Brock Berlin, Jamie Martin, Gus Frerotte.

I look at that list and start getting a nervous twitch like I’ve got PTSD. And don’t tell me about Nick Foles or Sam Damn Bradford, cuz they sucked too.

So yeah, I see flaws in Goff. When he’s on, he can be really good, but when he’s off, he’s just not good enough.

If there actually was a chance for a Plan B, I’d be open to hearing it. But given Goff’s contract, and the Rams’ record and lack of draft capital, its really hard for me to imagine a Plan B for either this year or next.

I feel you bro but we cannot live in the past. I have those same nightmares but this is a different regime. We do things better we draft better we take risks etc. Plan B doesn't mean cutting bait outright but that is why I mentioned earlier I'd give Goff even next year but I'd love to acquire a guy like Darnold to have mcvay coach up and maybe get his young career back on track I'm not saying stictly Darnold but something or someone like that. You can't take on another huge contract and the Fitzpatrick route is where we get the flashbacks lol. But if an opportunity presents itself like a Darnold or another kid that a team has run into the ground then yeah that's a plan B and he can be coached up. That's why I focus so much on Darnold. He is actually intelligent and needs a reboot and knows he hasn't earned a high contract. So that's why I target him but if someone had other targets please chime in. Acquiring a young qb is not taking us off course just makes us better should Goff fail. Obviously we want him not to fail so let's hope for the best but nothing wrong with preparing for the worst.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lmao at the people wanting to get rid off goff. Lets say that does happen and mcvay gets his guy than we proceed to see the exact same thing with the next qb. We gonna get rid of mcvay at that point? Mcvay/Goff are both young and very inconsistent and these games will happen. They both have had a tough time adjusting to teams that have caught up to the offense and the proof is in the play. I dont see how getting rid of a qb with the 2nd most wins since mcvay took over with alex smith/Fitzpatrick is a upgrade. At least the team still has a winning record while adjusting and is not 4-7 or worse.
I think fans are just terrified of being caught in a limbo anchored by Goff. I think we're 9-2 if Goff doesn't play like he did today and vs miami. That's the fear I think we're seeing. How many times can we say "Goff really saved is there" vs "Goff really costed us".

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And when Reynolds goes deep he can't locate the ball, jump or fight for position.

That Reynolds deep route was the worst effort by a Rams player I'd seen in a long time.

How, in a McVay offense do you think that you don't even have to look for the ball???

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The defense scored as many touchdowns as our offense today. And they provided 3 takeaways for our offesne. Please please stop with this fucking nonsense. Blaming the defense is just so disrespectful with how well they've been playing.

so you were happy they let the backup qb lead the whiners down the field twice to win the game after the rams had taken the lead?

they did an amazing job keeping the rams in the game but when it came time to close the deal they were like swiss cheese.

that's not disrespecting the defense, that's what happened.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I get what you're saying, but the defense allowed 16 points, forced three turnovers and scored 7 themselves.

In the NFL, that's incredibly impressive for a defense. We beat our season averages in both points allowed and turnovers.

Yes, they played great for 55 minutes of game time. Problem was, we needed them to be great for 60. As shitty as we played today, we managed to take the lead. They couldn't hold it. And they were going against a team with a mediocre backup QB that was also lacking its best receiving threat by far. And still gave up not one, but two scoring drives in the 4th quarter and the game on the line.

If nobody else gets a pass for today's performance, neither does the defense. A nice effort for *most* of the game isn't enough.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I think fans are just terrified of being caught in a limbo anchored by Goff. I think we're 9-2 if Goff doesn't play like he did today and vs miami. That's the fear I think we're seeing. How many times can we say "Goff really saved is there" vs "Goff really costed us".
I could say the exact same thing about mcvay and his play calling which is my point.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I feel you bro but we cannot live in the past. I have those same nightmares but this is a different regime. We do things better we draft better we take risks etc. Plan B doesn't mean cutting bait outright but that is why I mentioned earlier I'd give Goff even next year but I'd love to acquire a guy like Darnold to have mcvay coach up and maybe get his young career back on track I'm not saying stictly Darnold but something or someone like that. You can't take on another huge contract and the Fitzpatrick route is where we get the flashbacks lol. But if an opportunity presents itself like a Darnold or another kid that a team has run into the ground then yeah that's a plan B and he can be coached up. That's why I focus so much on Darnold. He is actually intelligent and needs a reboot and knows he hasn't earned a high contract. So that's why I target him but if someone had other targets please chime in. Acquiring a young qb is not taking us off course just makes us better should Goff fail. Obviously we want him not to fail so let's hope for the best but nothing wrong with preparing for the worst.
Yes, great freaking point. I trust McVay-Snead way more than any other coach-GM combo we’ve had in recent memory.

So if McSnead ultimately decides to go to Plan B, I’ll trust them. They’re just in a really tough spot for both this year and next. Yeah, I could totally see your Darnold idea panning out... I’d trust McVay to completely turn around a young guy’s career (look what he did with Cousins, and remember how Goff looked with Fisher, before McVay?)

I’m definitely OK with thinking about Plan B, and I’m sure McVay and Snead have had some “what if” talks already. And I could totally see them pulling off a blockbuster trade for a new QB. I just don’t quite see how they can pull it off next year given the cap. We’ll see.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes, this.

If you're a fan of his (not of Goff the Rams player, but of Goff himself), it's going to be too hard to be objective.

We won because of Goff

We lost because of Goff

How many games? Being objective for the first part is hard - but I think we'd be 7-4 with any average NFL QB - question becomes, why are we paying this money? Seems a better strategy would have been keeping Saffold and drafting/acquiring a QB last year to take over for Goff

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
In a nut shell here is what I see.
Goff is hot and cold, but his cold is REALLY cold and always ends up in a loss for us.
He is not the worst QB we could have. He's middle of the road usually, but again, sadly sometimes very very very bad.

Because of the the ridiculous contract the Rams gave him (way earlier than we even had to) the fact now is that he is our QB for the next 3 years, like it or not. We have to do the best we can do with him. I think we've almost seen his ceiling already. The sad thing is he isn't consistently playing to his ceiling.

And this next sentence is no joke. Do you think having millions and a hot girlfriend is part of the problem with his game performance? No, not all of the problem. But maybe some of it?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could say the exact same thing about mcvay and his play calling which is my point.
Can you though ? I feel like fans tend to be very result biased. So is Mcvay calling the wrong plays or are we not executing ?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not how it works though. You still get fatigued and we were on short rest. Does that mean if Goff wasn't horrible today we should have pitched a shut out cause Mullins was playing?

no it means if goff wasn't horrible today the rams should win by 20+ points.

but when you're facing the backup qb you expect the d to shut them down when you have the lead and the pressure is on them to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.