2nd Training Camp Practice News, and Reports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Yeah, Mojo.

There's been some positive feedback on several receivers so far from camp.

Not so much. Quick is struggling and Duke Williams is rapidly burying himself.

Day 2 and Quick is struggling? Didn't read that and it's only day 2.

Psycho_X

Legend
I was jumping up and down on the Marquez bandwagon last season cheering and hoping they'd play him more. Good to hear he is getting reps in at camp with the thick competition. Really like that kid's attitude and ability.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Day 2 and Quick is struggling? Didn't read that and it's only day 2.

Not sure if Quick is struggling, personally. But IF he is, it ain't day 2 for him, not by a long shot. He's been struggling in camp for a long time now, and enough's enough IMO.

lockdnram21

Legend
One thing to remember about the WR group this year: Groh is the new sheriff with the passing game, is responsible for the WR group, and has put an emphasis on route running. Given the fact that some guys like Quick haven't been able to run the right effin route let alone be a pro on running the exact depth and pattern of a given route, this group is wide open IMO.

You've got Tavon and Britt, pretty much. Outside of that it's open season. Guys who are noteworthy route runners like Spruce have a distinct advantage and it's going to show in the final roster spots. Guy like him simply needs to ensure he's a good teams player (which he should be with no worries) and given that he's got an excellent shot to make this roster.

Oh and re: Higbeest they are clearly pushing him into that role as an early usage option in the passing game. Fish alluded to this before, noting that he would probably play sooner than many think. Key with Higbee is the injuries, the dude gets dinged up a lot, so if he gets out of camp and preseason healthy he'll be a nice fantasy steal possibly for late rounds.
Unless Spruce shows be can play outside I think it's going to hard to crack roster. Cooper and Marquez is a head of him. For that reason I think a project like North could make it over him if he can show something

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
One thing to remember about the WR group this year: Groh is the new sheriff with the passing game, is responsible for the WR group, and has put an emphasis on route running. Given the fact that some guys like Quick haven't been able to run the right effin route let alone be a pro on running the exact depth and pattern of a given route, this group is wide open IMO.

Groh also likes bigger WRs. His starting WRs in Chicago were Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey and then Alshon Jeffrey and Kevin White (before he got hurt) all big athletes who are at least 6'3 215. The Rams currently have 3 guys with that similar profile Britt, Quick, and North. Britt is pretty much locked in and with Groh coaching I think North or Quick will make it over keeping a 3rd slot WR like Spruce. I am more inclined to give North his first opportunity over quick's fourth shot.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

You've got Tavon and Britt, pretty much. Outside of that it's open season. Guys who are noteworthy route runners like Spruce have a distinct advantage and it's going to show in the final roster spots. Guy like him simply needs to ensure he's a good teams player (which he should be with no worries) and given that he's got an excellent shot to make this roster.

Oh and re: Higbeest they are clearly pushing him into that role as an early usage option in the passing game. Fish alluded to this before, noting that he would probably play sooner than many think. Key with Higbee is the injuries, the dude gets dinged up a lot, so if he gets out of camp and preseason healthy he'll be a nice fantasy steal possibly for late rounds.
Great points.
People need to remember that Goff isn't the only one learning a new offence. I'm not sure how much of the passing offense is changing, but it's something the entire O has to learn.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Apparently Duke Williams is having a good day.

image.jpeg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This report courtesy of Hacksaw 64

Goff was the best QB on the field today. made a few mistakes and still looks lost at times. He made 2 exceptional throws that were real nice reads that he drilled over the middle. He completed a nice 20 yard out route to Mike Thomas where he threw the ball well before Thomas went into his break and was caught by Thomas showing of his area of catch by making a last second (surge/burst/lean/lunge/snatch/drag feet in bounds). Coming out of his break it looked like the ball was for sure going to be incomplete a little early, slightly high and out of bounds (all of which are textbook on how you throw that dangerous route). This ball was actually complete thanks to some nice WR skills by Thomas. Great catch, but most good NFL WR's make that catch. The throw Goff made on the other hand was special. It is the benchmark throw for QB's in the NFL. A lot of guys just don't have the arm to throw it, let alone the timing(quick release, footwork, pocket presence) and accuracy( delivering the ball before the receiver goes into his break to "the spot" that only he can catch it and stay in bounds). Its an extremely nuanced throw that plays well to Goff's natural gifts. This was one of his best throws I watched him make in college as well. He threw one perfect deep ball where he beat the DB and dropped in the bucket perfectly in the end zone that was dropped by I think Pharoah Cooper. Clearly the best arm talent. He missed on another deep throw to a streaking WR that had a step on the DB with a slight overthrow that went out of bounds at least. He also threw a couple dimes over the middle of the field in tight windows for completions to both North and McRoberts. Haven't seen that in awhile eh? He did throw two picks, one at the start of practice and one at the very end. Both picks looked to be on Goff. The first one looked horrible looked like he was totally confused and lobbed the ball up over the middle of the field right to two defenders. The second one it looked like he stared down his receiver and got jumped easily by the DB. Make no mistake he looks like a confused, spinning rookie at times, but more often than not on Sunday he was the best QB on the field.

Keenum made one real nice deep throw, he was able to drop in. He was pretty crisp at the underneath stuff. Then for the love of god, he tried to throw that 20 yd out pattern to the wide side of the field......Can you say pick six? The ball just floated like a slow hanging curve. That's pretty much the defining throw for a pro QB arm. Keenum just doesn't have the arm.

Mannion looked horrible. And trust me I'm one of his biggest supporters. First, I just can't get over his funky overhand delivery. Combined with his slow footwork and setup in the pocket it looks like a recipe for sack/stripsack. Along with that his was just terribly innacurrate, even against no defenders. He had probably the most wide open gift of a TD pass we saw all day on a fly route with a streaking receiver that had his man beat by 10 steps and he overthrew him by 15 yards out of bounds. There were about 4 other really bad throws I won't go into detail about.

Duke Williams shockingly got a bunch of reps with the 1st team. Someone must really like him. He looks the part. He's a big tall frame with long arms.
He had a decent day. He made a couple catches. He had a drop over the middle that wasn't his fault, he was open but Keenum threw the ball way behind him. He reached back and still almost caught it. They lined him up wide after Tavon went down, and he beat the cb deep down the sideline by a couple steps and Keenum threw a ball that dropped just out of reach of his outstreached hands. A little more speed and he walks into the endzone.

Paul McRoberts looks really good. He kept jumping out to me in warmup drills. I kept asking myself "damn who's this #8?". I finally had to look him up. With all the new rookie receivers, there are quite a few unfamiliar numbers. he had the "wow" route of the day. i couldn't see who was covering him but he absolutely broke the CB's ankles on his cut over the middle and made a great hands snatch of a bullet by Goff.

Marquez North like McRoberts caught my eye in warmups. He's explosive, quick twitch in and out of breaks. He ended up making two of the better catches over the middle of the day. They had him in the slot.

Mike Thomas also looks good. He doesn't look like he has quite the quick twitch athleticism as North or McRoberts, but shows real nice ability to go get the ball once its in the air. He looks pretty smooth running routes.

Nelson Spruce isn't tall, long armed, quick twitch athlete, or rather explosive. He does go all out on every play. He doesn't drop anything. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and is physically imposing for his size. He has a deceptive playing speed on the field. He doesn't waste any extra motion in routes or translating catch to run after catch. He managed to fake me and the DB out with his secret "ninja" ability to get create space on a speedier defender.

Bradley Marquez got a lot of time with the 1's. My take on him is he is a high floor low ceiling guy. He looks better in drills than he plays. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes. He doesn't do anything exceptional as a WR. The buzz is that the Rams are really high on him .I'm not sure I get it.

Brian Quick made a couple catches. Now this is just my impression. But I'm sorry, I don't get it. While some of these guys jump out to my eye as natural WR's, Quick jumps out as a dog. He looks tentative. Never looks like he's going full speed.

Tyler Higbee is going to be good, if he stays healthy. He huge, runs like an antelope and can catch. He was already getting time with the 1's. I didn't see him drop anything thrown in his vacinity all day, including drills.

Temarrick Hemmingway might have been the biggest shocker to me all day. I wasn't a fan of the pick. Someone reported he sucked first day. According to his draft profile he was raw, tall athletic guy that needed to fill out frame and become more physical. Well, you can uncheck that box. This dude looks like Karl Malone. I think he's bigger than Higbee and he runs like a WR. He has extremely long arms. He ended running two real nice routes over the middle and made a couple nice catches. One was exceptional. I actually see why they drafted him now. With some development he's going to be almost impossible to cover down the seam. Hopefully he has the hands. I know they were questioned on day 1. Looked Ok today. One thing in his favor is this kid has what it takes upstairs as opposed to Jared Cook, Hemmingway is mature for his years and was recognized for his exceptional character and scholasticism in college.

Gurley looks like he is at a lighter weight, but is no doubt the best player on the field other than Aaron Donald. Looks like he is going to be a bigger threat in the passing attack.

Aaron Green flashed some ability in the open field.

Isaiah Battle is huge this year. He put in some work in the offseason to fill out that frame. He was splitting time with the 1's at RT with Saffold.

Wichmann was starting next to Robinson at LG with the 1's with Reynolds splitting time.

Reynolds is a lot more imposing than I thought. He looked like he got injured toward the end of practice

Darrell Williams was backing up GR at LT.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Apparently Duke Williams is having a good day.

View attachment 15227

Duke Williams shockingly got a bunch of reps with the 1st team. Someone must really like him. He looks the part. He's a big tall frame with long arms.
He had a decent day. He made a couple catches. He had a drop over the middle that wasn't his fault, he was open but Keenum threw the ball way behind him. He reached back and still almost caught it. They lined him up wide after Tavon went down, and he beat the cb deep down the sideline by a couple steps and Keenum threw a ball that dropped just out of reach of his outstreached hands. A little more speed and he walks into the endzone.

Honestly shocked, by all the Duke Williams love. Thought he was an overrated big body, a little slow, and lethargic when he was actually on the field in college, and his combine numbers backed that up. On the other hand people said some of the same things about Alshon Jeffrey a former Groh disciple, so Groh must like him. Rams are pretty much Auburn's pro feeder team so that probably helps to. Im going to need to give his tape second look. If he can play well on teams he could make the team as a guy who can play outside or as big slot like he did in college.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Honestly shocked, by all the Duke Williams love. Thought he was an overrated big body, a little slow, and lethargic when he was actually on the field in college, and his combine numbers backed that up. On the other hand people said some of the same things about Alshon Jeffrey a former Groh disciple, so Groh must like him. Rams are pretty much Auburn's pro feeder team so that probably helps to. Im going to need to give his tape second look. If he can play well on teams he could make the team as a guy who can play outside or as big slot like he did in college.
Seems to be this years enigma, so far.

Reports, good and bad.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Groh also likes bigger WRs. His starting WRs in Chicago were Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey and then Alshon Jeffrey and Kevin White (before he got hurt) all big athletes who are at least 6'3 215. The Rams currently have 3 guys with that similar profile Britt, Quick, and North. Britt is pretty much locked in and with Groh coaching I think North or Quick will make it over keeping a 3rd slot WR like Spruce. I am more inclined to give North his first opportunity over quick's fourth shot.

I stopped short of that because I don't know to what extent Groh was a part of drafting the big WRs. So yeah, he might love the bigger targets. But regardless what we do know is that crisp routes are a requirement for him and that does not bode well for the guys who are sloppy and/or have not shown an ability to do the work. Quick is the obvious example, I just don't think he's gonna stick with the new sheriff in charge as I don't see Groh putting up with wrong routes and poorly executed trees.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Temarick Hemingway looks a better athelete than I had him pegged as. To the eye - he looks like Antonio Gates used to be. Big, rangy, athlete.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There are many players who play special teams. Why does have to be Marquez over Reynolds? Maybe one of the LB's doesn't play as well as these 2 and the LB doesn't make the roster.n
Because a LB will play special teams along with DB's such as Bryant,Lynch,Hager all played well last season on special teams.
-- who are you cutting to keep Chase Reynolds ??
-- Rohan Gains & J Washington have a chance as well.

Ram65

Legend
Not sure if Quick is struggling, personally. But IF he is, it ain't day 2 for him, not by a long shot. He's been struggling in camp for a long time now, and enough's enough IMO.

I here ya. I'm just willing to give him most of camp to prove he belongs or not.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, Mojo.

There's been some positive feedback on several receivers so far from camp.

Tavon was impressively balling before he cramped up.
Spruce has made himself noticed in a big way.
Marquez seems to have taken a big step up from last year as a WR.
I recall brief mentions of Cooper, North, and Higbee, too.

The others?

Not so much. Quick is struggling and Duke Williams is rapidly burying himself.

Copper is getting time with the 1's, especially yesterday with Tavon out.
Same as Higbee at TE

Rams43

Hall of Fame
My thought process regarding Spruce's chances of making the 53.

And let me preface this by saying that I have no dog in this fight. May the best 6 WR's stick.

Spruce just gets open and then catches the damned ball.

What more do we need to know about him? SURELY there is a spot on this roster for such a WR.

Unless several other things change drastically, I think Spruce makes the 53.

lockdnram21

Legend
My thought process regarding Spruce's chances of making the 53.

And let me preface this by saying that I have no dog in this fight. May the best 6 WR's stick.

Spruce just gets open and then catches the damned ball.

What more do we need to know about him? SURELY there is a spot on this roster for such a WR.

Unless several other things change drastically, I think Spruce makes the 53.
Because there are 2 other slot receivers in his way. Marquez and Cooper. Me personally don't think he would be a good outside receiver. I hear there high on Marques, and Cooper is already getting snaps with first team. On top of that Higbee is going to be in the slot a lot

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because there are 2 other slot receivers in his way. Marquez and Cooper. Me personally don't think he would be a good outside receiver. I hear there high on Marques, and Cooper is already getting snaps with first team. On top of that Higbee is going to be in the slot a lot

When you're talking about the last guy on the depth chart there is usually a guy or two ahead of him and the reason he makes the cut is his impact on special teams. Particularly with Fish that is critical, and judging from college his special teams play is strong. The guy is physical for his size, fearless in play style, and is a steady return man.

Teams are how Marquez made the cut last year. There is always room for that guy at the bottom if he pulls his weight there.