2nd Training Camp Practice News, and Reports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yes, special team practice with pads...Watch out for Bradley Marquez and looks like I have been too hard on the former Red Raider has been looking good early, will be interesting to see if he can get separation come preseason because he seemed to struggle with that last season.
Okay so pads on for ST's drills ONLY today, and pads for everyone tomorrow.

Yeah so far Marquez has been the guy everyone says has been the standout so far. We need SOMEONE in that group to step up. Good news early.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Okay so pads on for ST's drills ONLY today, and pads for everyone tomorrow.

Yeah so far Marquez has been the guy everyone says has been the standout so far. We need SOMEONE in that group to step up. Good news early.

Yeah, Mojo.

There's been some positive feedback on several receivers so far from camp.

Tavon was impressively balling before he cramped up.
Spruce has made himself noticed in a big way.
Marquez seems to have taken a big step up from last year as a WR.
I recall brief mentions of Cooper, North, and Higbee, too.

The others?

Not so much. Quick is struggling and Duke Williams is rapidly burying himself.

lockdnram21

Legend
Yeah, Mojo.

There's been some positive feedback on several receivers so far from camp.

Tavon was impressively balling before he cramped up.
Spruce has made himself noticed in a big way.
Marquez seems to have taken a big step up from last year as a WR.
I recall brief mentions of Cooper, North, and Higbee, too.

The others?

Not so much. Quick is struggling and Duke Williams is rapidly burying himself.
Where did u see Quick was struggling. Where did u see anything about North

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Here's a question for fans from the Lou...Is DMarco Farr still working in St Louis? I saw Jim Thomas asking questions yesterday and I know he's in LA to wrap up the Rams departure from St Louis....What about Farr? I would seriously love his enthusiasm and knowledge about the Rams on 710 ESPN
Yeah Farr is still working for 101espn here in St Louis but he has been remoting in fom Cali as he is dealing with family issues apparently. I would not be surprised if he ended up working for the La Rams radio as he is from Cali. He was the color guy for St Louis Rams games. But he didn't seem to like the way the whole move happened so I dunno.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I can't remember where I read Quick had the dropsies too but I read it on this thread, I think. Ugh, I had such high hopes for him. Think he's gone. He was gonna have to have an amazing camp to stick.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah Farr is still working for 101espn here in St Louis but he has been remoting in fom Cali as he is dealing with family issues apparently. I would not be surprised if he ended up working for the La Rams radio as he is from Cali. He was the color guy for St Louis Rams games. But he didn't seem to like the way the whole move happened so I dunno.

Remoting in Cali for a "family issue" means interviewing for radio play-by-play out here? ;)

lockdnram21

Legend
I can't remember where I read Quick had the dropsies too but I read it on this thread, I think. Ugh, I had such high hopes for him. Think he's gone. He was gonna have to have an amazing camp to stick.
The only person I read about on this thread with drops is was Duke williams. There is zero about quick

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I asked the question because ESPN interviewed D'Marco at Rams Training Camp Day One...I was wondering to myself after all of the declarative statements from Randy Karraker and Brad Thompson (Farr was conspicuously silent about his support one way or the other) about how their newest team to hate the most would be the Rams...Why he would be at Rams Camp getting interviewed, since he was there when he should be working in St Louis (and the Fast Lane doesn't want to talk Rams anymore). I always get stoked from Farr's enthusiasm about the Rams, and hope he does make the move to a local station to be a Rams correspondent. I will be a new listener , if so.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Where did u see Quick was struggling. Where did u see anything about North

I honestly can't remember which specific board I read these things on, 21. Much less the thread or particular camp reporter or beat writer. I visit 5 boards daily and several of them frequently.

I'm skimming constantly and occasionally read something that makes my ears perk up.

But I assure you that I'm not making these things up.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I asked the question because ESPN interviewed D'Marco at Rams Training Camp Day One...I was wondering to myself after all of the declarative statements from Randy Karraker and Brad Thompson (Farr was conspicuously silent about his support one way or the other) about how their newest team to hate the most would be the Rams...Why he would be at Rams Camp getting interviewed, since he was there when he should be working in St Louis (and the Fast Lane doesn't want to talk Rams anymore). I always get stoked from Farr's enthusiasm about the Rams, and hope he does make the move to a local station to be a Rams correspondent. I will be a new listener , if so.
like I said I would not be surprised if he did, not surprised at all

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I honestly can't remember which specific board I read these things on, 21. Much less the thread or particular camp reporter or beat writer. I visit 5 boards daily and several of them frequently.

I'm skimming constantly and occasionally read something that makes my ears perk up.

But I assure you that I'm not making these things up.

Im a North fan. I would like him to make the team over Quick and yet another slot guy in Spruce. So if you post wherever you got that info on him from that would be sweet.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Here's the write up on Quick from the other board. Doesn't sound like drops, more mental errors, maybe wrong routes. My bad. This is what the game of telephone gets you:

From RamsFan1971:

Day 2 starts with much better weather. It was about 81 degrees with a slight breeze. It was much more comfortable than yesterday. As with day one, no pads and Chase Reynolds was first man out for practice. He was soon joined by others to work on the ball machine. Today, I focused on our Wr corp. Yesterday, there was not much to see due to all the short check downs. I watched individual drills and took some pics to share. My observations on our WRs.
Bad News-- Austin was carted off the field. Looks like a hamstring pull or cramp. He was not able to bend his leg. Hoping it will heal quickly.
WR

Rookies
#3 North- R---Good size, fast and made some good catches over both days
#8 McRoberts-R---Good size, fast and also made some good catches today
#10 Cooper-R--- Quick - got behind Db in one on ones, but dropped a bomb in the end zone. Leg injury by end of practice.
#13 Thomas- R-- Good size and speed. He had some catches, but also had some drops today.
#81 Williams-R--- He is big, not as fast as others, but uses his size to create space. He made some catches but also dropped a couple.
#86 Spruce- R-- not a lot of speed, but does get descent separation. Good hands.

Vets
#18- Britt-- He did not practice today
#11 Austin- Caught a deep pass behind Trumaine for a TD. Later was carted off field.
#15 Marquez- So far has looked the best of Wr in practice. Making contested catches and fighting for the ball.
#83 Quick- Looks thinner this year and looked faster than last year. He made some catches, but also made some mental errors near the sideline. He looks healthy.

Qbs

Goff looked much better today. Again- almost all of the Wr patterns were short. Almost all passes were short inside 10 yds. He did make a nice completion-18 yds in 11 on 11. He did throw another int to #41 Washington. That is 2 in two days against Goff. Waiting for the coaches to allow him to push it down field.
Keenum made a good throw to Austin against T. Johnson for a td.
Mannion continues to look to throw deep first and short second. His reps are very limited.

DL

First team dominated the line again without pads. It is very hard for qb to look downfield without one or two of the DL in his face.

OL

Did open up one or two holes for Gurley against the first team DL. Robinson on L side and Saffold on R side. Can't say much til I see them in pads.

Dbs and Linebackers

In 7 on 7- they stuck with receivers like glue. Either our Db and Lb are going to be great this year, or our Wr can not create separation.

ST

Hekker was kicking 50-60 yds in the air today.

Zuerlein- big leg, but continued to push right. He better be careful or Bertolet will beat him out in camp.

Critiques

Practice is only 2 hours. I notice while skill positions are warming up, that both DL and OL are standing around doing nothing. Our OL should be working hard for the full two hours. I would say a good 15-20 minutes if standing around talking to each other while others are warming up with skills and stretching. Our Offense will never improve if the OL does not improve and gel as a unit.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Im a North fan. I would like him to make the team over Quick and yet another slot guy in Spruce. So if you post wherever you got that info on him from that would be sweet.

The camp reporter commented on North's noticeable relative speed and size as compared to the other WR's. Made a few nice catches, too.

That was what I recall, SYG.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
The camp reporter commented on North's noticeable relative speed and size as compared to the other WR's. Made a few nice catches, too.

That was what I recall, SYG.

Thanks! good to hear. I think he can be the high upside big X receiver we were looking for in Quick if he can stay healthy

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
temp160731_Social_050--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

For all you spruce Fans. I think we will see a heavy dose of this type of formation this year with Lance in the backfield or inline and Higbee who is already geting reps with the ones as the big slot. It will be hard to get spruce on the team with Higbee playing alot in the slot in addition to Marquez and Pharoh ahead of him as pure slot WR.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
temp160731_Social_050--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

For all you spruce Fans. I think we will see a heavy dose of this type of formation this year with Lance in the backfield or inline and Higbee who is already geting reps with the ones as the big slot. It will be hard to get spruce on the team with Higbee playing alot in the slot in addition to Marquez and Pharoh ahead of him as pure slot WR.
With the drafting of Higbee and Cooper plus the vastly improved Marquez it's going to be tuff for Spruce. They cut Long and Fisher mentioned improving the bottom portion of that position so I don't think McRoberts, Duke, or North are impressing the coaching staff.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
With the drafting of Higbee and Cooper plus the vastly improved Marquez it's going to be tuff for Spruce. They cut Long and Fisher mentioned improving the bottom portion of that position so I don't think McRoberts, Duke, or North are impressing the coaching staff.

I think Fisher said bottom half of the roster didn't he? If I'm guessing, I'm guessing he's dropped Long to get a C. Kush had a rough day and Rhaney only survived because he chop blocks. And now that's illegal. I'm guessing they really wanna find someone behind Barnes. Could be completely wrong. And you could be right, maybe they bring in a WR.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing to remember about the WR group this year: Groh is the new sheriff with the passing game, is responsible for the WR group, and has put an emphasis on route running. Given the fact that some guys like Quick haven't been able to run the right effin route let alone be a pro on running the exact depth and pattern of a given route, this group is wide open IMO.

You've got Tavon and Britt, pretty much. Outside of that it's open season. Guys who are noteworthy route runners like Spruce have a distinct advantage and it's going to show in the final roster spots. Guy like him simply needs to ensure he's a good teams player (which he should be with no worries) and given that he's got an excellent shot to make this roster.

Oh and re: Higbeest they are clearly pushing him into that role as an early usage option in the passing game. Fish alluded to this before, noting that he would probably play sooner than many think. Key with Higbee is the injuries, the dude gets dinged up a lot, so if he gets out of camp and preseason healthy he'll be a nice fantasy steal possibly for late rounds.