OFFICIAL 2024 NFL Trades, cuts, free agency, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Angry Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Cowboys are one of eight NFL teams that added more than $9 million in cap space, thanks to this June 1 rule​

There were a total of eight teams that picked up at least $9 million in salary cap space, thanks to their post-June 1 cuts. We've listed each team below along with how much cap space they gained and who they got rid of to gain it (All numbers via Over the Cap).
  1. Raiders: $24 million (Jimmy Garoppolo)
  2. Dolphins: $18.5 million (Xavien Howard)
  3. 49ers: $18 million (Arik Armstead)
  4. Cardinals: $16 million (DJ Humphries)
  5. Packers: $10.6 million (De'Vondre Campbell)
  6. Lions: $10.5 million (Cam Sutton)
  7. Bills: $10.2 million (Tre'Davious White)
  8. Cowboys: $9.5 million (Michael Gallup)
Of the eight teams listed above, five of them -- the Raiders, 49ers, Cardinals, Packers and Lions -- now rank in the top 10 for most available cap space, thanks to the room they gained on June 1.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nope.
Not with a player like Mahomes.
His off-the-field is tops in the league, significantly, and he likes winning. He’s shooting for GOAT status and is happy to leave some on the table to make that happen.

If he wanted more, he would get more. There’s no argument here. He’s, by a significant amount, the most valuable player in the NFL.
He likely gets more when he signs a new contract and the salary cap has gone up a couple more times. I honestly cannot believe you're arguing that another WR won't get a bigger contract than Jefferson. All the other WR's in your world are going to know their role and won't dare get more money than JJ.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't they up his contract recently?

I thought it began as a 10 year $500m contract. It should be more than that now.

He restructured last off season and is on paper signed thru 2031 but we've all seen over the years that contracts can and will be redone whenever the club and/or player decide to redo it. He also has 2 void years at the end of it that are $60 million each year. When he wants a new contract the Chiefs will give him one.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Why is Lamar Jackson skipping OTAs?​

Two-time MVP Jamar Jackson has stayed away from most of the Ravens’ OTAs. He’s the only offensive starter in Baltimore who isn’t attending the voluntary workouts.

On one hand, it’s definitely voluntary. Players have no obligation to attend. He’s fully in compliance with his contract and the Collective Bargaining Agreement, by staying away. He’s fully within his rights. He’s doing nothing wrong.

On the other hand, why wouldn’t he volunteer to show up? He’s the quarterback. The leader of the team. He’s making $52 million per year.

Last season, the Ravens failed for the second time in his career to turn the No. 1 seed into a Super Bowl berth. The Chiefs, in contrast, keep pushing. Their quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, is working out with teammates at OTAs and on his own time.

As Mike Tomlin says, “We want volunteers, not hostages.” Why wouldn’t any quarterback who hopes to get the most out of his skills and to be as prepared as possible for the coming season not volunteer to be there? What else is he going to do?

Jackson’s team has gathered for practices. He’s the leader of it. Why wouldn’t he choose to be present?

Most players who stay away from OTAs have a reason for it. Often, it’s contractual. Jackson got his last year, and he’s under contract for four more seasons. There’s no reason to think he’s miffed about his financial situation.

But what about this? If they’d paid Lamar after he first became eligible (after the 2020 season), he would have made a lot more in 2021 and 2022 — and he’d be getting close to a third deal. In the year since he signed his latest deal, the cap has gone up and the market has begun to pass him by. Jared Goff has already leapfrogged Lamar. Dak Prescott will do so, sooner or later. Tua and Trevor Lawrence are closing in on potentially matching and beating Lamar, too.

Whatever the reason, here’s hoping there’s a reason for Lamar not being there. A strategic purpose for not working with his teammates and preparing for the second season of the Todd Monken offense.

Again, it’s voluntary. But when the team is otherwise together and you’re the unquestioned leader of it, where else would you volunteer to be?

While there’s no guarantee that participating now will make the player or the team any better when the season rolls around, it definitely won’t make the player or the team worse.
Not a good look for your Starting QB.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He likely gets more when he signs a new contract and the salary cap has gone up a couple more times. I honestly cannot believe you're arguing that another WR won't get a bigger contract than Jefferson. All the other WR's in your world are going to know their role and won't dare get more money than JJ.
Like I said, it’s what happened with AD.

Jefferson is WR1. He’s the market for this offseason.

Lamb is close.. but isn’t and hasn’t been Jefferson.

There is precedence. Of course, I could be wrong. But sometimes a guy is the top of the market.

You’ll note.. no D player topped Bosa this offseason.

dang

Legend

There is precedence. Of course, I could be wrong. But sometimes a guy is the top of the market.

100% agree with your assessment of Jefferson. However, I have no doubt that the Tyreek Hills and the Aiyuks of the NFL are surrounded by people who are saying they should be able to reset the market. I hope the bubble bursts but I have my doubts. Hill In particular has a lot of mouths to feed.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
100% agree with your assessment of Jefferson. However, I have no doubt that the Tyreek Hills and the Aiyuks of the NFL are surrounded by people who are saying they should be able to reset the market. I hope the bubble bursts but I have my doubts. Hill In particular has a lot of mouths to feed.
A Hill holdout would be the wildcard. I’d agree with that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Ability doesn't matter you aren't getting this. It's very simple, the next guy will go for more money this isn't new. We saw it with all the rece t QB contracts what did they go up by $2 million total each new deal? Jefferson will be top paid dog until Hill gets a new deal or Chase or Aiyuk etc etc. It's not a reflection on Jefferson or any of the others it's just the way players and their agents go about business.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have never said Jefferson is or isn't the best WR. I'm pretty sure I even agreed with your order. But you seem here to be agreeing with me saying it does t matter because the next guy will go for more and a few of them may even be worth it.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion

I agree with this take for the remainder of this year, with the exception of Hill who is close enough to command similar money to JJ, though it could end up being technically more with less guaranteed money (or vice versa, less total with more guaranteed).

Next season is when lesser WRs will surpass JJ's contract and it will be crazy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with this take for the remainder of this year, with the exception of Hill who is close enough to command similar money to JJ, though it could end up being technically more with less guaranteed money (or vice versa, less total with more guaranteed).

Next season is when lesser WRs will surpass JJ's contract and it will be crazy.
Chase and Lamb absolutely are not lesser WRs than Jefferson. Not saying they're better but they're in the same class of player.

As for the previous Bosa comment he'll be surpassed by Parsons if not before.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
McCaffrey signs two year extension for $38M. No details yet on the extension (guaranteed/milestones) so not posting a link until I see it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Got it that explains why Mahomes is the 8th best QB in the NFL.
It's not how contracts work. The next one of these WR's to get paid is likely to get more than Jefferson.
Without a doubt. Then Jefferson will do what Jefferson does which is sulk and whine and throw his hands up when he doesn't get the ball. I cannot stand players like him.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Christian McCaffrey's salary is he RB market. To say he reset it is a slap in the face to all other RBs.

dang

Legend
I have never said Jefferson is or isn't the best WR. I'm pretty sure I even agreed with your order. But you seem here to be agreeing with me saying it does t matter because the next guy will go for more and a few of them may even be worth it.
I have no doubt players will continue to ask for more and some will look to reset the position $$ bar. My hope is teams either say “honor your contract and we’ll guarantee more $$” (like Stafford is pursuing) or at least say “We will give you more $$ but we’re not going to make you the highest paid position player because you arent performing at that level”. Wishful thinking but that’s what I hope for.