OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
For the record... a team really can't have enough DBs on the roster.

You carry as many as you can... but it's never enough as the season goes on.

Tano

Legend
His endings are mostly dark…much like mine. Maybe that’s why?
I don't mind dark endings but....

The Dark Tower was absolutely a cop out - I hated the fact that I read all those books to get to the ending where what? You have got to be kidding me. This just sucks.

Tano

Legend
I just read a media guy thinks the Rams should trade Stafford during the season

One - that would be completely giving in this season
Two - how the fuck do you trade Stafford with the cap situation that they are in

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't mind dark endings but....

The Dark Tower was absolutely a cop out - I hated the fact that I read all those books to get to the ending where what? You have got to be kidding me. This just sucks.

Yeah, that ending sucked. My endings are probably worse because there are no happy endings for most of my characters. Bittersweet at most.

Psycho_X

Legend
Is it possible to pull all of the books/authors posts from here and create a new thread in Off-Topic? I don't know how we ended up down this route in the thread and I don't really care that it's happening but sounds like people might enjoy a specific thread to continue conversing instead of every other post in the free agent thread lol?

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
While I hope this team improves, on defense especially, what does it say about a unit that we are hoping that other teams castoffs can become starters?

It’s not a ringing endorsement. I know it’s not out of the question that one may become a helpful contributor (Darius Williams), I find that I’d rather not have to hope for a UDFA or former PS squad kid to become a star player. The odds are pretty low.
I couldn't agree more. Even if we hit on one like Darius Williams, it took him awhile to be as good as he was so the results being instantaneous are extremely slim.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Is it possible to pull all of the books/authors posts from here and create a new thread in Off-Topic? I don't know how we ended up down this route in the thread and I don't really care that it's happening but sounds like people might enjoy a specific thread to continue conversing instead of every other post in the free agent thread lol?

Sorry… I just get so into topics involving writing that I tend to forget.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
For the record... a team really can't have enough DBs on the roster.

You carry as many as you can... but it's never enough as the season goes on.
I have ALWAYS said the same. Load up on CB’s.

I think it was 2011… it was brutal… we lost so many CB’s to injury we had to sign 36yr old Al Harris.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Do you think there's any chance Al Harris might be available?
Haha!

I might have actually gotten the season/year wrong. Maybe someone remembers the season I am talking about…. we lost so many CB’s that season. It was a mess. An absolute dog’s breakfast.

Psycho_X

Legend
Haha!

I might have actually gotten the season/year wrong. Maybe someone remembers the season I am talking about…. we lost so many CB’s that season. It was a mess. An absolute dog’s breakfast.
2011 was when we had like 9 CBs go on IR.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rams Called New Fit for ‘Selfless’ WR in Danger of Being Traded​

Including undrafted prospects, the Los Angeles Rams are carrying 11 wide receivers heading into the start of organized team activities (OTAs) on Monday, May 22.

But could there be room to add one “selfless” wide receiver in danger of being traded? And one who also happens to have ties to new offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur? Bleacher Report’s Gary Davenport on Thursday, May 18 wrote down Corey Davis of the New York Jets as a veteran wideout that NFL teams should pursue in trades — with the Rams listed as one of the suitors.

Jets general manager Joe Douglas, though, denied the team had any interest in sending Davis away before the 2023 NFL Draft.

“When we talk about great teammates, Corey is a great teammate,” Douglas told reporters. “Corey is selfless, Corey is an unbelievable worker, he’s a great professional for some of our young guys to look up to and model their approach, their work ethic to this game. And look, we all know that there’s a business aspect to football, but Corey is a valued member of this team and this franchise.”

Still, new additions to the Jets wideout room prompts Davenport to believe Davis needs a new address and a fresh start.

Davis Potentially No Better than 3rd Option Following Moves

Davis has witnessed quite a downturn after being taken fifth overall in the 2017 NFL Draft by the Tennessee Titans.

He produced two 65-catch seasons in Nashville while also producing 2,851 of his 3,879 yards with the Titans per Pro Football Reference. He also scored 11 touchdowns across his four seasons.

But he never surpassed 1,000 yards in a single year. The closest he got was 984 in his final year of his rookie deal, but that was a season that saw him play in 14 games with 12 starts due to a hamstring sprain. And now, Davenport believes Davis’ limited production with the Jets prompts the need to move on.

“The thing is, Davis hasn’t shown much value in his two seasons with the Jets. He has just 66 receptions total over that span and has failed to eclipse 550 yards in a season. Not a great return for a player who carries a cap hit north of $11 million in the last year of his contract,” Davenport wrote.

And Davis’ offensive coordinator during his Jets run? The new Rams offensive coordinator LaFleur.

Furthermore, the Jets pulled off the blockbuster deal to add perennial Pro Bowler and Super Bowl 45 Most Valuable Player Aaron Rodgers during draft week. Rodgers additionally has his former Green Bay Packers teammate and a 1,000-yard receiver to throw to…but Davenport believes that diminishes Davis’ targets.

“In New York, Davis is the third option in the passing attack behind Garrett Wilson and Allen Lazard — at best,” Davenport said. “The odds he’ll be on the team in 2024 range between slim and none. But the 6’3″, 209-pounder is also a talented young wideout who was once the fifth overall pick.”

Davenport concludes with: “Davis just hasn’t been a fit in New York. A change of scenery would likely be best for both player and team.”

Davis Would Add Needed Size & Someone Who Understands LaFleur if Lured in

Say a move like this were to happen. The Rams would replace Allen Robinson and his towering size at 6’2″ by adding someone even taller in Davis.

Perhaps Davis becomes the possession target “A-Rob” never got the chance to become if brought over. However, Davis once ran a 4.38 time in the 40-yard dash and averaged a career-high 16.8 yards per catch playing for LaFleur last year — so he comes equipped with a burner element.

LaFleur isn’t expected to call the plays working with Sean McVay. But, Davis is familiar with LaFleur’s coaching style which could help assist the other WRs, including the newcomers, in the WR room.

The next aspect, though, would be what the Rams would surrender if they do opt to trade for Davis. Considering his minimal production, he’d likely involve a late round selection. However, he holds a base salary of $10.5 million before becoming a free agent in 2024. With zero history of surpassing the century mark or seven receiving touchdowns and with that kind of base salary, teams will likely shy from making him a high WR priority.

Unless there’s significant injuries in the WR room, Davis isn’t likely to be considered a trending trade candidate. The Rams will eventually have to cut down on their ’23 WR options…and may be more convinced with who’s already in their facility rather than pivot elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.