OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There were a lot of authors churning out stories of manly fantasy in those eras of the 60s and 70s. Look at James Bond.

Books like that existed for women too. The ones with bare chested studs with long hair on the cover. It is a business after all that sells escape from our mundane lives.

Except Cussler kept churning out the exact same book, with the exact same flaws, only about a different false history MacGuffin. His main characters were always Stus, the antagonists always had no redeeming traits, the women were always hysterical, and wanted to have sex with the MC the second they met him. He had no idea how to make nuanced characters that were memorable or likable, no idea how to make gray characters.

Still, he isn’t the worst: the woman who wrote After is - After being a Harry Styles (One Direction member) Wattpad teenaged romance fanfic that was based off of 50 Shades of Grey, which, in turn, was fanfiction based off of Twilight. After has no sympathetic characters, a terrible message to girls that abusive men are okay to love, that it’s the “ideal” relationship, and the plot and grammar were hideous.

Seriously, I just came up with an idea of a concerned young female teacher being turned into a guinea pig after investigating a sexual predator in her school less than an hour ago, and it already has a better plot than After.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Adding more to this, despite what my mom says (she’s huge into King herself), I found the book to be far scarier than either Pet Semetary movie. The ending was scary as hell in the book; the sheer descriptions, the subtlety of what’s happening, and the implications alone are absolutely frightening.

And that’s not even close to being the scariest King book. No, the scariest - by far - was The Jaunt, which was one of his short stories. I had nightmares for a week after it, and I will not read it again.

If you like Stephen King, look up Robert McGammon… specifically Gone South and Swan Song. I give both 10/10 recommendations for King fans.

Seriously, you’ll thank me, especially if you loved The Stand like I did.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Except Cussler kept churning out the exact same book, with the exact same flaws, only about a different false history MacGuffin. His main characters were always Stus, the antagonists always had no redeeming traits, the women were always hysterical, and wanted to have sex with the MC the second they met him. He had no idea how to make nuanced characters that were memorable or likable, no idea how to make gray characters.

Still, he isn’t the worst: the woman who wrote After is - After being a Harry Styles (One Direction member) Wattpad teenaged romance fanfic that was based off of 50 Shades of Grey, which, in turn, was fanfiction based off of Twilight. After has no sympathetic characters, a terrible message to girls that abusive men are okay to love, that it’s the “ideal” relationship, and the plot and grammar were hideous.

Seriously, I just came up with an idea of a concerned young female teacher being turned into a guinea pig after investigating a sexual predator in her school less than an hour ago, and it already has a better plot than After.
He was a writer and man of his time Memento. You can hate on him but he was providing what men of his time wanted.

Same thing goes on today. I am sure there are authors delivering riveting gay content that would disgust someone like myself. But I'm not going to judge them. For the authors delivering the content and those who enjoy it knock yourselves out.

Half the problem with this world, IMO, is people wanting to tell others how to think or feel. Religion had quite the run, but humanity is possibly outgrowing it. Same with all the cultural trends tbh. Just people being people, getting all into other people's business and shit.

All that aside I don't want to carry this stuff forward in a NFL trades thread. I find it to be an interesting topic but it never ends well. Just wanted to observe that the authors (screenplay writers fit in this too) arise to serve the need of the customers of their time.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He was a writer and man of his time Memento. You can hate on him but he was providing what men of his time wanted.

Same thing goes on today. I am sure there are authors delivering riveting gay content that would disgust someone like myself. But I'm not going to judge them. For the authors delivering the content and those who enjoy it knock yourselves out.

Half the problem with this world, IMO, is people wanting to tell others how to think or feel. Religion had quite the run, but humanity is possibly outgrowing it. Same with all the cultural trends tbh. Just people being people, getting all into other people's business and shit.

All that aside I don't want to carry this stuff forward in a NFL trades thread. I find it to be an interesting topic but it never ends well. Just wanted to observe that the authors (screenplay writers fit in this too) arise to serve the need of the customers of their time.

Fair enough, Merlin. Didn’t mean to take over the whole topic with stuff about authors, authoresses, and such; I just saw Stephen King, and it went from there.

Cheers.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you like Stephen King, look up Robert McGammon… specifically Gone South and Swan Song. I give both 10/10 recommendations for King fans.

Seriously, you’ll thank me, especially if you loved The Stand like I did.
Swan Song and The Stand are two absolutely amazing reads.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

He's a Rookie free agent so I guess this belongs here.
I'll be rooting for him.

Kade Warner leans on family's struggles to chart NFL journey​

• i

Jenna Laine, ESPN Staff Writer
  • May 12, 2023, 06:42 PM ET
TAMPA, Fla. -- The last time Kade Warner was in Tampa, he was 10 years old sitting in the stands at Raymond James Stadium watching his father, Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner, lead the Arizona Cardinals on a furious 16-point comeback against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII before Santonio Holmes' tip-toe catch sealed their fate in a 27-23 loss.
"It was the loudest cannons I heard firing, I didn't really want to hear them," said Warner, an undrafted free agent wide receiver from Kansas State who signed with the Buccaneers last week.

Fast-forward 14 years, and Warner stands on the practice field at the Buccaneers' facility across the street from that very stadium for rookie minicamp while the elder Warner is the one trying to keep it together.

"He [Dad] sent me probably three or four text messages in the middle of the night last night because he was just so amped up that I'm here. But I told him, 'I've got to get my sleep,'" Warner said with a smile, adding that this has been a "cool full circle moment."
Another cool full circle moment? Day 3 of the NFL draft.
"It was emotional because I knew who I was, I knew I wasn't a first two days kind of guy," Warner said. "When that sixth round kind of hit, seventh round, then it starts to dwindle down gets close, [and] then post-draft obviously you start getting closer and closer..."
Family members held their breath collectively each time he left the room, hoping it would be a team either selecting him or wanting to sign him. Instead, it would be a friend or an agent offering words of encouragement or some insight. Then came a call from an 813 number. The call was from the Buccaneers, a team his father had well-documented battles against when he quarterbacked the Greatest Show on Turf as a member of the St. Louis Rams.
"I came back and told my family, started crying a little bit," Warner said. "It was emotional. Just a lot of work to get here."
Much like his father -- considered one of the greatest underdog stories in professional sports as the first undrafted free agent to be named Super Bowl MVP -- his path to the NFL won't be an easy one, and it hasn't been thus far, even with a famous last name.
"I was a walk-on and no one wanted me," Warner said. "Didn't have any offers. Went to Nebraska, they didn't want me. Went to Kansas State, took a couple years, finally got there, didn't get drafted. So it's been a lot of twists and turns and a lot of adversity, so to be here, to put on this jersey, to go out there and play football -- it's literally just a dream come true for me."
But it wasn't just Dad, who, after being cut by the Green Bay Packers in 1994, stocked groceries at a Hy-Vee grocery store in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. His mother raised two children -- Zachary and Jesse Jo -- as a single parent after her son Zachary suffered a traumatic brain injury that left him blind when he was just four months old. She was given a hardship discharge from the Marines in 1990, living off food stamps and in low-income housing before meeting Kurt while pursuing her nursing license. Then in 1996, both of her parents were killed when a tornado struck their home in Mountain View, Arkansas. The couple married in 1997.
"That's who I get it from, overcoming adversity, just my whole family," Warner said. "My dad, obviously you all know is story. My mom, if you've seen [the movie] 'American Underdog,' you kind of know some of her story. My older brother, the same way. My whole family, just fight through adversity. People tell you you can't do stuff and you do it anyway."
He spent three years at Nebraska and two at Kansas State, but it wasn't until his final year for the Wildcats that he caught his first collegiate touchdown pass, finishing that season with 456 receiving yards and five touchdowns.
"[He's] a solid football player," coach Todd Bowles said after Warner's first practice. "He can catch the ball, he can play special teams, he can do a lot of things that we need and we're always looking for special teams players."
The Bucs' receiving corps already features Pro Bowlers Mike Evans and Chris Godwin, as well as veteran Russell Gage. But it is lacking in depth after the departure of Scotty Miller in free agency and not re-signing Breshad Perriman. They did select Trey Palmer, a wideout with 4.33 speed out of Nebraska in the sixth round last month. They also signed Taye Barber out of TCU, Rakim Jarrett out of Maryland and Ryan Miller out of Furman as undrafted free agents.
"[He's] coachable, very coachable, [and] fundamentally sound it looked like in individual drills," Bowles said. "One day is hard to get a gauge on it so we'll see how it progresses from there."
He credits Dad for helping him understand the thought process of a quarterback.

"I play wide receiver like a quarterback would," Warner said. "I see the defense. I know where we're trying to get to. Even if the play's not to me, I know how to get other people open too. So I run the routes and I do the plays to make the play work, not just to get myself open all the time. I think that breeds success in the offenses that I've been in, it's what I'm going to continue to do here, but that's kind of where it all starts, with my dad teaching me back in those high school days."
The most important piece of advice Dad has given him so far?
"One thing I always lean back on is 'you know who you are,'" Warner said. "You know who you are, through it all. With the adversity, with people overlooking you, or, some bad days or good days -- just fall back on who you are and what you did to get there. That's what he tells me all the time. That's what he told me last night at 1 a.m. That's what I remember right now."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Re: Wentz maybe he's endured enough failure by now that he'll take the coaching. Rams would be a fantastic landing spot for him assuming that is the case.

Though I have to say I like the idea of having Bennett as our backup. Another guy who can run around a bit but also has a little bit of upside to him, and a leaner QB room that allows for more depth elsewhere. So I don't really care either way, though if the Rams are concerned with Stafford's ability to stay healthy that is understandable.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Re: Wentz maybe he's endured enough failure by now that he'll take the coaching. Rams would be a fantastic landing spot for him assuming that is the case.

Though I have to say I like the idea of having Bennett as our backup. Another guy who can run around a bit but also has a little bit of upside to him, and a leaner QB room that allows for more depth elsewhere. So I don't really care either way, though if the Rams are concerned with Stafford's ability to stay healthy that is understandable.
If he really is being looked at by the Rams then he’d serve well to be the running style QB for the scout team. Maybe he’s ready for some humble pie too.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy

"Sounds like"

According to B/R, what Fowler actually said:
"I was told he's been working out in L.A., plans to play this year," Fowler explained. "He's had interest from some teams. He's open to various roles; could be as a starter, could be as a backup, but he just wants to play this coming year."

Sounds like @RamsBrothers stretched the truth or was just straight intentionally misleading to get attention.

And yeah, Wentz, in the past, like many other QBs, has worked out in LA with 3DQB.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Sounds like @RamsBrothers stretched the truth or was just straight intentionally misleading to get attention.

How could these guys mislead us?!?

D_BUcfgY_400x400.jpg

I mean, if the above does not stand for honesty, trustworthiness and journalistic integrity, then I don't know what those words even mean ... Seriously, what-the-fuck do they mean?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Travin Howard

LB FA
16 minutes ago​

Howard is signing a one-year deal with the Bills, Jordan Schultz of TheScore.com reports.

EDGE Analysis​

Howard last played for the Rams in 2022 but played in just one game as he spent most of the season battling groin and hip injuries. The former seventh-round pick out of TCU has struggled with injuries since being drafted in 2018 and has operated as a backup for most of his career.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some teams just can't get themselves enough ex-Rams.

Status
Not open for further replies.