OFFICIAL 2023 Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Power can play in the NFL. Also some of these guys might play at different weights. Hall looked completely different in the Senior Bowl compared to his film of the past year. Tuli played at like 290 for USC and they had him dropping on some snaps.

In the NFL it's much more disciplined. Guys will get assigned weights based on the role the team envisions. Tuli might be told he's gonna 5T, or be an interior depth type initially. OR maybe the Rams take him and stand him up as a strong side rush, and if that happens maybe he looks a lot different with a full season at say 255 or 260.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Pass catchers hasn't been said nearly as much as edge or even cornerback. I think we lost so many starters in D that it's assumed we'll go that route which makes sense, but for some reason, I feel like the offense is where they'll take it since I'm sure McVay wasn't satisfied with that side of the ball's production. Gonna be interesting to see which weapon they choose if they do indeed go offense. I'm just going to eat my popcorn and enjoy the show.

Pass catchers and pass rushers have been reported by national media guys (you can judge that how you'd like), not corner though i think we all agree that corner is a big need*. If the Rams want, they can definitely get a decent pass rusher, pass catcher and corner at their first three picks. If they trade down though, all bets are off.

*Corner though is probably the one spot in FA after the draft that we'd be able to pick up a pretty decent stop-gap vet who's cut after teams release them with the influx of good corners from this draft. That's why I can see them maybe only picking up one this weekend and a few UDFA's with so many needs elsewhere.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If it's not great for weapons, more reason for McVay to be tempted by one since the pickings could be slim. I just hope whoever we pick is a great addition at this point. I'm just ready to see more of the plan unfold.
I hope not. He reached on Tutu. Reaching in a draft that doesn’t have great depth at certain positions isn’t a great strategy imo.

Say there are ten great receivers. The chances of getting a great one at 36 or trading up to 32 etc… would be very good.

But if there was only three great receivers they all likely are gone by pick 15. So then drafting one at 36 means you are not getting a great value.

I prefer to stay at your draft slots in rounds 1-2 and hopefully pick a position player who’s position is deep in the draft. Then they’d have a higher chance of landing a great player.

I never understood trading back for more picks unless there really isn’t a good option at your original pick, ie. Bobby Wagner. Trading back on a gamble that Pead and Watkins could be better than Wagner was regrettable. All in the name of getting more draft picks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Converting pressures to sacks often comes down to luck. Occasionally, there are guys who have long careers where they get tons of pressures but don't convert them often (Brandon Graham and Chris Long are two examples). But usually, guys who pressure the QB a lot convert to sacks at a solid rate. Because that rate fluctuates from year to year, sack totals fluctuate from year to year.

Here's a great example. According to Pro Football Reference, T.J. Watt had 61 pressures, 41 QB hits, and 15 sacks in 2020. In 2021, T.J. Watt had 22.5 sacks, 39 QB hits, and 52 pressures. Clearly, Watt was highly effective in both years. He just happened to convert more pressures to sacks in 2021.

Ojulari won often and won quickly. That'll translate to the next level.
There are other factors in play too. One is what talent level was each player surrounded by? Hall didn’t have as good of a group as Ojulari did. Was Pittsburgh’s DLine a little better from 21’-22’ ?

Another factor is the long term plan. The Rams will have a first round pick next season, unless they trade it. Plus they will have around $80 million in cap space (per Jourdan) and a lot of draft picks. So, maybe their plan is to trade for Burns, or wait and sign him as a FA. Burns is likely to be better than any of the edge players in the draft.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'll keep saying it, Burns is not elite. Yes, i know some of you don't like PFF, fact of the matter is, they watch every play of a player, something I can't and don't want to. He was 64.5 this year, which is a bit above average. Rumor was, Panthers wanted the trade offers to start at 2 1sts. To be honest, I'd be hesitant to give even our '24 for him. We could be talking about a top 5 pick. And he needs a new contract after this year which is not going to be cheap in the slightest. I'm all the way out on trading for Burns. Good not great doesn't warrant a very premium pick (or 2) and a massive 30+ million a year contract.

Even signing him as a FA, if it costs us 30+ per year, its not wise.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some TE nuggets:

• Late in the draft process, teams get their medical reports, and if players get flunked medically, they can be dropped off draft boards. One high-profile prospect who some teams have flunked medically is Georgia tight end Darnell Washington. Along with the medical, some team sources said there are some minor character concerns. If Washington slides on the second day of the 2023 NFL Draft, the medical and the character will be the reasons why.

• Another tight end who has been hurt by the medical evaluation is Iowa's Sam LaPorta. LaPorta is a sleeper prospect who a lot of teams really loved. In speaking to sources at multiple teams, they said the medical report was not bad enough to get LaPorta dropped off their board. However, it was not clean ,and it would be the reason if LaPorta slides into the middle or back half of the second round during the 2023 NFL Draft.
From WalterFB

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'll keep saying it, Burns is not elite. Yes, i know some of you don't like PFF, fact of the matter is, they watch every play of a player, something I can't and don't want to. He was 64.5 this year, which is a bit above average. Rumor was, Panthers wanted the trade offers to start at 2 1sts. To be honest, I'd be hesitant to give even our '24 for him. We could be talking about a top 5 pick. And he needs a new contract after this year which is not going to be cheap in the slightest. I'm all the way out on trading for Burns. Good not great doesn't warrant a very premium pick (or 2) and a massive 30+ million a year contract.

Even signing him as a FA, if it costs us 30+ per year, its not wise.

Is anyone still calling for the Rams to trade for Burns this year, after we've already released so many name starters ?
I do believe he'll be in play as a free agent next season though. The Rams will have accumulated lots of CAP dough by 2024/2025, so I can easily imagine us spending it at Edge and LT, and being that new long term contracts are often heavily backloaded, it would be at least 2025 before we face the full financial repercussions, probably around the time Donald & Stafford are about done.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is anyone still calling for the Rams to trade for Burns this year, after we've already released so many name starters ?
I do believe he'll be in play as a free agent next season though. The Rams will have accumulated lots of CAP dough by 2024/2025, so I can easily imagine us spending it at Edge and LT, and being that new long term contracts are often heavily backloaded, it would be at least 2025 before we face the full financial repercussions, probably around the time Donald & Stafford are about done.
I'm sure there will be some suggesting that we do trade for Burns next season with our 1st rounder that is burning a hole in Sneads pocket. I wasn't even on board when there was actual reports about it last season. Would have been a terrible decision IMO.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Some TE nuggets:

• Late in the draft process, teams get their medical reports, and if players get flunked medically, they can be dropped off draft boards. One high-profile prospect who some teams have flunked medically is Georgia tight end Darnell Washington. Along with the medical, some team sources said there are some minor character concerns. If Washington slides on the second day of the 2023 NFL Draft, the medical and the character will be the reasons why.

• Another tight end who has been hurt by the medical evaluation is Iowa's Sam LaPorta. LaPorta is a sleeper prospect who a lot of teams really loved. In speaking to sources at multiple teams, they said the medical report was not bad enough to get LaPorta dropped off their board. However, it was not clean ,and it would be the reason if LaPorta slides into the middle or back half of the second round during the 2023 NFL Draft.
From WalterFB
Fascinating that the people leaking this aren't leaking the actual "medical" like that "knee injury" - smacks of disinformation. It's medical, we won't say what but maybe some team goes back and asks what we missed on some minor stuff with these guys.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm sure there will be some suggesting that we do trade for Burns next season with our 1st rounder that is burning a hole in Sneads pocket. I wasn't even on board when there was actual reports about it last season. Would have been a terrible decision IMO.

Burns is scheduled to be a free agent following the 2023 season, he's currently (2023) working off his 5'th year option as a first round draftee.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Jourdan's latest mock draft.. two trade downs and 4 picks in top 150.
I would love to add more, if there's any way possible, but it looked like a really solid group.
I don't like Mitchell at all but like the rest of it.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
What is amazing me is I remember times when we could legitimately discuss next year before this year's season was played but that was when the Rams sucked. We KNEW it was gonna be next year 8 weeks in. But there's a lot of talk about 2024....more than ever before.....just seems kinda strange to me. I guess that's what 5-12 and a defensive purge will do for you.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed on all. But the bendy and the speed/twitch guys go earlier because teams know this.

Rams undoubtedly take Ojulari if he's there at 36 but will he be. I am very skeptical on that. Sure would be nice but we're probably looking at a trade down which means strong side types (physical/effort rushers) are likely to be what we end up adding.
Harold Landry went at #41, and B.J.'s brother, Azeez, went at #50.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Some TE nuggets:

From WalterFB
This time we can't afford to gamble on a guy in the top 100 like they did with Lewis and his medical's.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This time we can't afford to gamble on a guy in the top 100 like they did with Lewis and his medical's.
Totally, though this report smacks of a snowjob. What were the medical failures for? That being said, I think Washington just isn't that useful a player if he's taken before the 3rd day, he'll only ever be a role-player and not a full time starter.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would steer clear of Washington just based on his film, knowing nothing of any flags he may have going on. We need a stud if we're gonna go TE. We need a stud period for that matter.

I want someone we're gonna feel out there making plays. Not some asshat project who can't live up to his enormous gifts.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Peter King is reporting the Rams are shooting to end up with 6 players in the top 150. That was my strategy for this draft, I guess we'll see.
The idea, in my opinion, is to get as many decent players as possible in this draft and not worry about "difference makers"... I mean, great if you luck into one.. but the idea is building a base that you can top off next season, imo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Peter King is reporting the Rams are shooting to end up with 6 players in the top 150. That was my strategy for this draft, I guess we'll see.
The idea, in my opinion, is to get as many decent players as possible in this draft and not worry about "difference makers"... I mean, great if you luck into one.. but the idea is building a base that you can top off next season, imo.
I’d rather a difference maker or two or three. It’s not like every pick is going to hit. At Snead’s recent record is an indicator, then he’s likely to get 1/6.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just looking at the options at 36 really makes me hope we trade down maybe 10 spots and pick up additional picks. The 2nd and 3rd rounds are going to be filled with players that can start on our current team. Realistically, only McDonald or Forbes would give me pause about trading down at 36, but I assume both are gone by then.