OFFICIAL 2023 Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
The more i look at the current draft rankings and mock, man it is tempting to move down from #36 and get as many picks as you can between 45-90. Moving down from 36 and up from 167 to eventually get 4-5 picks in that late second / early 3rd round range.

Of course, if there is an elite stud at #36 that you want, then you do that first and foremost. But if not, there are sooo many guys i like in the 40-100 range right now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And pass rush is a concern all 17 games. Jones will be better at ILB and we can coach Ojulari up.
Beating the division rivals is always a priority. However, I am sure that they won’t be the only team noticing a weak run defense on one side.

Coaching someone up is a 50/50 proposition. Some guys are never good at it. Robert Quinn comes to mind. It is sort of like trying to teach a runningback how to pass block. Some pick it up while others don’t master the skill. I’d rather pick an edge rusher that can set the edge.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Old School:

Thanks for putting in all that work! Gives us a lot to chew on.
Everyone has their idea of how that 1rst round will go.

Regarding yours, I see you have Cam Smith still available at #36. I know I would prefer a top edge over a CB, but if Smith was there, I would consider taking him. He could come in as our #1 CB immediately.
Otherwise, Uzumah and Allen are still on the board. I’m good with either of them. Then maybe we get lucky and either JMS or Steen fall to #69 and we nail down a starting OL.

Two pillars to build around, one on each side of the ball. That’s all I’ve been wanting out of this draft—plus a TE.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah he did. Called Kupp being the best wideout from the class in fact. I've watched him and listened to his takes on wideouts every year since too. :thumbsup1:

He loves Flowers which is no surprise to me as Flowers is clearly a dog on tape. His notes on Addison were interesting too. I don't like him as much but he certainly makes good points.

What will be interesting is if QJ falls into round 2. Can you imagine that one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not that I know of, but I've heard on a couple podcasts that not everyone who scored high did well in the league, but that everyone who has scored low has not done well.
I'm not doubting that you heard it, but I don't like relying on secondhand info. I'd need to see the numbers myself.
Run defense is a concern when it comes to playing the Niners twice a year.
While that's true, when you have a guy who can rush the QB like Ojulari, you accept his limitations as a run defender. That's a kid who could be a consistent double-digit sacker in the NFL.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Beating the division rivals is always a priority. However, I am sure that they won’t be the only team noticing a weak run defense on one side.

Coaching someone up is a 50/50 proposition. Some guys are never good at it. Robert Quinn comes to mind. It is sort of like trying to teach a runningback how to pass block. Some pick it up while others don’t master the skill. I’d rather pick an edge rusher that can set the edge.
So who are you going to draft later or sign off the streets that's as good of a pass rusher and better at Edge especially later in the draft? Yeah nobody really comes to mind so lets just throw out Thomas and Hoecht neither of our current guys on the roster are as good of pass rushers and neither are good against the run, Hoecht being downright bad at it as we've seen. And you want to pass on a damned good pass rusher because you don't like him against the run?

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I seriously can't wait until Friday/Saturday and the Rams finally adding some new players. I don't care that i probably won't know most these guys, they may not make it, unlikely to do much early on, etc. Just getting some new blood and having something positive to talk & think about Ram wise this off-season is something I am so looking forward to (instead of guys cut, dead cap, future cap space, etc.). Exciting to have some hungry, young Ram players that potentially can be something to build upon in the future.

Please be GREAT Snead & Rams scouting team!

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would not be too quick to discount the run defense and contain side of things. This division has two top run games generally speaking, so having strength at the point is gonna be attractive.

Btw I am fine with selecting Ojulari. But they could opt for Hall, who dropped weight and looked real quick in the Senior Bowl plus comes with power. Or Tuli who is a fucking stud physically and adds flexibility to the front.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Some interesting betting lines I noticed.

For being picked in 1st round:
Tippman -150 (first I've seen as him being a 1st rounder)
Breese -185 (most everyone now has him in 2nd)
W.McDonald -320 :crying:
Torrence -175 :crying:

Tippman is by far the most surprising to me.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Some interesting betting lines I noticed.

For being picked in 1st round:
Tippman -150 (first I've seen as him being a 1st rounder)
Breese -185 (most everyone now has him in 2nd)
W.McDonald -320 :crying:
Torrence -175 :crying:

Tippman is by far the most surprising to me.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Will Levis is now the betting favorite at #2 also, which I find mildly surprising. Stroud goes from being 1st over all to potentially 3rd now, or later? Also, Tyree Wilson is the betting favorite to go over Anderson, which is wild to me. No testing done at all

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Levis going at 2 would not even remotely surprise me. Upside is there. He knows the WCO terminology which is prevalent around the league plus the toughest of the three major systems. Really terminology is the chief difference in today's schemes, as they all mirror and copy each other's plays. It's not like you can look at an offense any more and say "there's a WCO approach" as getting the ball quickly in step to weapons in the pass game is modern offense.

Stroud falling would be stupid too. The guy is enormously talented just like Levis. Both those guys have way more raw talent for the position than Young. And Richardson is simply muddying the water from the media side. He's not in the class of either of those two in terms of his film. The guy is raw as fuck.

Coen went out of his way to observe the relative lack of playing experience you have with Levis. And he correctly draws parallels with him and Josh Allen. Basically Levis is Richardson with two years of seasoning in a real NFL offense. Richardson is of course a rare run threat, but Levis is a stud running the ball too. Levis is an athlete himself.

Stroud honestly reminds me a lot of Goff. Probably a bit of an introvert, a reflective type guy but immensely talented with all the tools. He's just a question of give-a-fuck IMO. How hard will he work. Which honestly is all these guys at the top. Young is the one guy who I'd have no doubts about on the mental side, but he's so limited physically it would concern me. And that's admitting that since I've been looking hard at him he's grown on me quite a bit. I just don't like little QBs. Never have, never will.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So who are you going to draft later or sign off the streets that's as good of a pass rusher and better at Edge especially later in the draft? Yeah nobody really comes to mind so lets just throw out Thomas and Hoecht neither of our current guys on the roster are as good of pass rushers and neither are good against the run, Hoecht being downright bad at it as we've seen. And you want to pass on a damned good pass rusher because you don't like him against the run?
Did I strike a nerve or something? You seem offended. Hall looks like he can do both, set the edge and rush the passer. Maybe he isn’t Olijari when it comes to pass rush but he’s not Hoecht. If Olujari is so good then what makes you think he could last until 36? It seems it is more realistic for Hall to still be on the board.

I watched the Niners abuse the Rams weakness’s at LBer for a few years. I’d rather see that shored up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not doubting that you heard it, but I don't like relying on secondhand info. I'd need to see the numbers myself.

While that's true, when you have a guy who can rush the QB like Ojulari, you accept his limitations as a run defender. That's a kid who could be a consistent double-digit sacker in the NFL.
I would be looking for a player that could do both set the edge and rush the passer. Hall seems like a good start.

Why did Ojulari only have 5.5 sacks in 11 games in 2022?

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I'm starting to think Tuli & Hall are two big targets for us. Ojulari undoubtedly is too, but his ability to get pressures means he's more likely off the board. Tuli & Hall are both physical (strong side) types who should be on the board and available when we pick.

And honestly I love Tuli. He's my guy on defense just absolutely love his tape. The guy is big as shit but he's catlike. Really tough to move up front no matter where he is playing. The kind of player we need more of to shut down that shitter run game. Here's one of his games:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek5WQZ2nvMg