OFFICIAL 2022 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately we have such a plethora of WRs that Van is most likely gone at the end of the season so yeah he's a JAG at that point lol

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I apologize for getting involved but I have some free time to look at numbers. My wife had minor surgery yesterday, and is doing well but the Labor Day Weekend will be at home and very quiet.

No opinion here ... Just the Numbers ... I'm kind of like Joe Friday from Dragnet ... 'Just the Facts Mam'

Let's talk #2 WRs ... Here are the stats for the last five Super Bowl Champions ... Including the Rams!!!

In every case but one, a non-WR (Tight End or RB) was in the top-two in Receptions.

2017 Eagles ... Top-two-WRs were Nelson Agholor and Alshon Jeffries, with almost identical numbers.
Agholor (62 receptions / 768 tards / 8 TDs). Jeffries (57 receptions / 789 yards / 9 TDs). Both played 16 games.

2018 (The Evil) Patriots ... Julian Edelman was their #1 WR, with just 74 receptions / 850 yards / 6 TDs.
The #2 and #3 WRs were Josh Gordon and Chris Hogan. Gordon had 40 receptions / 720 yards / 3 TDs.

2019 Chiefs ... Tyreek Hill was the #1 WR and had 58 receptions / 860 yards / 7 TDs in 12 games.
The #2 WR was Sammy Watkins with 52 receptions / 673 yards / 3 TDs.

2020 Bucs (with the Evil Tom Brady) ... The only recent Champion to not have a non-WR in the top-2.
The #2 WR was Chris Godwin with 65 receptions / 840 yards / 7 TDs in 12 games.

20221 Rams (God's Team)
If you consider Woods and Beckham the #2 WR, they combined for 72 receptions / 861 yards / 9 TDs / 16 starts.
The #3 WR would then be Jefferson with 50 receptions / 802 yards / 6 TDs.
Those are numbers comparable to all the top-2-WRs above.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
Unfortunately we have such a plethora of WRs that Van is most likely gone at the end of the season so yeah he's a JAG at that point lol
So what if Tutu, Skow or Jefferson play enough, show well and drum up interest from other teams. Trade one of them for a position need mid season and lock in OBJ for end of season/playoffs. That’s the kind of forward thinking McSnead may bring to the table. Sounds like McClutch is in a full scale red shirt season barring injuries.

sloramfan

Starter
"Gods team"...

allen2 mcvay.. i could not stop laughing...

God bless you my friend....

go rams

slo

ps... i'm still laffing....

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
So what if Tutu, Skow or Jefferson play enough, show well and drum up interest from other teams. Trade one of them for a position need mid season and lock in OBJ for end of season/playoffs. That’s the kind of forward thinking McSnead may bring to the table. Sounds like McClutch is in a full scale red shirt season barring injuries.
Not sure if we'd risk making that kinda trade just for OBJ but for something else, maybe. We could also just get a comp pick for Van when someone signs him away in FA too.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
On that note and guess I'll switch that I can see Van bring used as trade bait if we get good offers but who knows. I'd be ok with keeping him. I don't think he's much more than a 3 but it's not bad at all on a rookie contract.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was better than the #2 WR on most teams and better than the #1 on several teams but they're all bad so ignore those. The only team that I can think of that had a 3rd WR with more yards was Cincy and that was by 20 some yards. In NFL history there have only been 16 teams with three players over 900 yards receiving and 5 of those had three over 1,000. People really need to start giving Van some credit for having a good year especially since we know he played the second half of it injured.
Homer!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at our WR room now it feels like speed is probably the worst trait of the group overall, because both Kupp & Robinson are receivers who get open with their routes and anticipation. Basically our WR1 and WR2 are what I'd call elite possession types. So ideally that third wideout vs your average typical in-season opponent would be someone with great speed threat. Someone who creates fear, who can distract and help break down the typical 1-2 coverage plan teams are used to running.

Van has underrated speed so he was the guy they wanted filling that role. But his game overall is more possession I think, just my take on him. He's a third possession wideout in the top three who can also beat you deep but whose strength is his route technique. And my biggest criticism of him is the same as my criticism was for Woody, which is that when Kupp is removed his effectiveness dips. Well that and his tendency to not fight for balls in the air. Which means that as he faces better coverage options he has a tendency to disappear. This all goes back to Odell opening McVay's eyes, and Robinson being expected to deliver the same just as a safer investment option in the offseason.

After Van on the depth chart you have one true speed threat wideout in Tutu. Who, btw, I think will factor in very big during the regular season this year. But come the playoffs his value won't be as great and guys who have more toughness and contested catch ability will factor in more at that point. Odell, if they bring him back, would of course be another speed threat as he is an all around stud of a wideout, but you have to worry about whether he's got his quicks back right away.

Then we have our contested catch types which is where I'd put Skow, who can lead block in the run game for you and who historically has good hands. Also now we can add McClutch to that equation and I am eager to see if he can separate if/when he gets his initial looks because McVay will put him out there at some point.

Now all that aside I realize Robinson is also a contested catch type, and honestly Kupp is too, so if I had to rank out the capabilities of this WR group I would say they are elite in terms of their size (Kupp and Robinson are like mini-TEs and Skow/McClutch offer good size on the depth chart), contested catch ability (which is a surprise to see it this good only a year after adding that type of QB), possession (there are multiple dependable options who will be where they need to be to move the chains). Where they are average is speed and stretching the field.

This post btw is quite longer than I intended. Whoops. :laugh3:
That post was War and Peace, long,ya bastid!

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
It's worse than that too actually. Think I read somewhere that only 5 teams had put up 1k yards among their top 3 wideouts in league history.

But the thing to remember here is McVay is not content to sit with any group when it comes to his pass catchers. He is always going to be trying to make that group better. It's like his personal collection of hotrods.

Also yards aren't really the metric that matters here. What matters is can you move the offense with that wideout when the top guy is removed by opponents or injury. Can you function. Rams have room to improve there, which is to say that Jefferson as we all know has the talent to be much more than he has been. Not in terms of his yardage necessarily, as that is going to be dependent on overall pass game yield and many factors. But moreso in basic potency per the situation and being able to execute the call at a high level.

When we drafted Van in round 2 I am sure the hope was that he'd upgrade us at WR2. But that has not happened. Instead it was Odell that upgraded us at WR2. Now it is Robinson. I don't know that Van will ever be that guy, at least not in this offense. Which is a shame. So now he is going to be an excellent WR3 for us I don't doubt, but even then his job will be the one everyone on that depth chart is gunning for.

For me you can appreciate the player and what he adds while also seeing that he has not stepped up yet to the level the team hoped he would. Both things can be true. As is typical the truth is in the middle with him IMO.
>>It's like his personal collection of hotrods.

Yup. Nice comparison!!

dang

Legend