SEAHAWKS 2022/23 Seattle Seahawks Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pete is gonna go full caveman on us. They will mash on the ground and play defense. I think he is determined to show his approach will work.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at the Shithawks draft is very irritating. I think they had the best draft in the division. But unfortunately for them at QB...

1651533237269.png

giphy.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Looking at the Shithawks draft is very irritating. I think they had the best draft in the division. But unfortunately for them at QB...

View attachment 53958

giphy.gif

I agree… it looks like a good draft. I haven’t really tried to compare it, but going into Saturday I noticed the first two days were solid.

Are there any legit other options besides Mayfield?

I guess it’s Drew Lock’s to lose.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I think Pete Carroll is ego flexing here. The entire let Russ cook thing probably pissed him off. So I expect they'll be a very good defense with a run-first offense and play action.

It's not a bad plan for where they're at, I'm just surprised they didn't at least take a shot on a QB. Seems like that will catch up to them but we'll see.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I agree… it looks like a good draft. I haven’t really tried to compare it, but going into Saturday I noticed the first two days were solid.

Are there any legit other options besides Mayfield?

I guess it’s Drew Lock’s to lose.
Geno Smith

disgusted matilda GIF

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LINK

Drew Lock Experiment Is Worth the Risk for Seattle Seahawks​

Tell everyone you're tanking without actually saying you're tanking.

The Seattle Seahawks have done just that with their commitment to Drew Lock as their starting quarterback for the 2022 campaign, though the approach isn't without merit.

Essentially, the team invested in a lottery ticket as part of the Russell Wilson deal. If it works out, the Seahawks will be ahead of the curve. If not, they can look to the 2023 NFL draft and reinvest in the quarterback position. Meanwhile, they can get back to basics without worrying what may or may not upset Wilson.

Lock, whom the Denver Broncos selected in the second round of the 2019 draft, still has upside.

"I think he'd have been the first guy picked [in 2022], of quarterbacks anyway" Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said of Lock during an interview on Sports Radio KJR (h/t Pro Football Talk's Michael David Smith). "He'd have been the first guy in this draft. I don't have any hesitation saying that."

Yes, everyone can hear some snickering after reading that statement. But Carroll isn't necessarily wrong. Lock is only 25 and less than two years older than Kenny Pickett, whom the Pittsburgh Steelers chose as the top quarterback in this year's draft with the 20th overall pick. No other incoming quarterback prospect heard his name called before the third round.

"The first look at Drew, he's really athletic. He's really a confident athlete. You can see he's got a lot of body control. He's got quick feet. He's got a quick arm. He's got various ways he can release the football as his body's in different positions," Carroll explained. "He's got a real knack there. He's got a strong arm. He can throw the ball a mile down the field. ... He has a world-class arm, and all that."

It was smart for Seattle to pass on this year's quarterback class. Too many questions swirled about the group.

"You don't draft a bad quarterback for the positional value," an executive told The Athletic's Mike Sando. "You can take a year and see what you've got. Do you trade everything for a quarterback next year? Yeah, if it is the right one. That is something they have to figure out."

Instead, general manager John Schneider began rebuilding the foundation after it had eroded. With Wilson and linebacker Bobby Wagner no longer with the franchise, the Legion of Boom era can officially be put to rest. The Seahawks are now built around wide receivers DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett and safety Jamal Adams.

The incoming rookies have exciting upside with strong pedigrees.

This year's ninth overall pick, offensive tackle Charles Cross, immediately fills a premium position with an elite talent. While Alabama's Evan Neal and North Carolina State's Ikem Ekwonu received more attention throughout the predraft process, Cross was generally considered in the same tier as a legitimate top-10 talent.

The Seahawks paired Cross with fellow rookie Abraham Lucas, whom they drafted with the 72nd overall pick. The four-year starter at right tackle has allowed the second-lowest pressure rate since the start of the 2020 campaign, per Pro Football Focus (h/t Smart Football's Adam Carter).

Schneider took a similar approach with two other premium positions and

doubled down at cornerback and edge defender.
The second-round selection of Boye Mafe should give the defense more juice in the pass rush, while Tyreke Smith provides extra depth. Corner is more interesting because fourth-rounder Coby Bryant is the reigning Jim Thorpe Award winner and a sound, aggressive defender, whereas Tariq Woolen, who fell to the fifth round, has a similar background and traits to Richard Sherman as a bigger corner who converted from wide receiver.

An emphasis on those positions, particularly on defense, coupled with the second-round selection of running back Kenneth Walker III portends a throwback approach by Carroll and Co.

A mistake could be thinking that Lock is anything more than a placeholder until he proves otherwise. As a result, the Seahawks should once again be a run-first team, and they have the backfield to make it happen with a returning Chris Carson, re-signed Rashaad Penny and the newly acquired Walker.

"If Rashaad Penny can continue what he did late in the year, and now they have Walker, you know, with that quarterback situation, what's going to happen," an NFC coordinator told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. "Those guys are going to get the ball a ton."

And they should.

Carson is a proven 1,000-yard ball-carrier when healthy, though he's coming off neck surgery. Penny finally looked like a first-round back when he ran for 671 yards over the Seahawks' final five games last season. Walker, meanwhile, is the most explosive back from this year's class. His 1,168 yards after contact in 2021 were the most by a Power Five running back since the 2019 campaign, per Pro Football Focus.

Considering the aforementioned youth at key positions, the team's incomplete roster and the uncertainty under center, the Seahawks aren't positioned to surpass the San Francisco 49ers and Arizona Cardinals, let alone dethrone the reigning Super Bowl champion Los Angeles Rams, in the NFC West.

An eye should be toward the future.

"Their fascination with Drew Lock feels like a contrarian, 'Hey, we are going to win running the ball and our evaluation of Drew Lock was right,'" an executive told Sando. "Only a Super Bowl-winning coach who has tenure and is feeling secure can do that. This will either be the greatest 'I told you so' or it could be, 'Hey, you know what, I gave it a great run, and no one is going to remember this part when it is said and done anyway.'"

Only a lights-out season by Lock could and should sway the Seahawks from going in another direction next offseason. Granted, the team may still entertain the possibility of a Baker Mayfield trade, but he doesn't change the math when it comes to Seattle's current setup since the 2018 No. 1 overall pick isn't under contract after this season.

"I don't see us making a trade for anybody at all. I don't see that happening," Carroll told Sports Radio 93.3 KJR-FM last week (h/t ESPN's Brady Henderson). "But we're certainly going to continue to be open to chances to help our club, and meanwhile, we're just going to be battling and competing our tails off."

The coach also said that Seattle had "no intention" of trading Wilson about two weeks before that occurred. Still, the Seahawks won't take on much, if any, of Mayfield's deal based on their financial standing.

Seattle has $12 million in salary-cap space before it signs its rookie class. The rest can be rolled into the 2023 season when the franchise is projected to have the fifth-most salary-cap space at $62.9 million, per Spotrac.

Carroll and Schneider will also enter the next draft cycle with a pair of first- and second-round selections. They can use one of those picks or package a group of selections to acquire a quarterback in a class that already looks much stronger than the most recent iteration. The Seahawks can make a play for Ohio State's C.J. Stroud, Alabama's Bryce Young, Kentucky's Will Levis or whoever else works his way to the top of the draft.

Seattle has never won fewer than seven games in any season with Carroll as head coach. A pair of seven-win campaigns predated Wilson's arrival as a third-round rookie in 2012. The Seahawks are back to where they started. They're searching for a quarterback, and they'll try to grind out wins and take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves.

In other words, they are dipping into the tank once again and hoping to come out of it with another big fish.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
LINK

Drew Lock Experiment Is Worth the Risk for Seattle Seahawks​

Tell everyone you're tanking without actually saying you're tanking.

The Seattle Seahawks have done just that with their commitment to Drew Lock as their starting quarterback for the 2022 campaign, though the approach isn't without merit.

Essentially, the team invested in a lottery ticket as part of the Russell Wilson deal. If it works out, the Seahawks will be ahead of the curve. If not, they can look to the 2023 NFL draft and reinvest in the quarterback position. Meanwhile, they can get back to basics without worrying what may or may not upset Wilson.

Lock, whom the Denver Broncos selected in the second round of the 2019 draft, still has upside.

"I think he'd have been the first guy picked [in 2022], of quarterbacks anyway" Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said of Lock during an interview on Sports Radio KJR (h/t Pro Football Talk's Michael David Smith). "He'd have been the first guy in this draft. I don't have any hesitation saying that."

Yes, everyone can hear some snickering after reading that statement. But Carroll isn't necessarily wrong. Lock is only 25 and less than two years older than Kenny Pickett, whom the Pittsburgh Steelers chose as the top quarterback in this year's draft with the 20th overall pick. No other incoming quarterback prospect heard his name called before the third round.

"The first look at Drew, he's really athletic. He's really a confident athlete. You can see he's got a lot of body control. He's got quick feet. He's got a quick arm. He's got various ways he can release the football as his body's in different positions," Carroll explained. "He's got a real knack there. He's got a strong arm. He can throw the ball a mile down the field. ... He has a world-class arm, and all that."

It was smart for Seattle to pass on this year's quarterback class. Too many questions swirled about the group.

"You don't draft a bad quarterback for the positional value," an executive told The Athletic's Mike Sando. "You can take a year and see what you've got. Do you trade everything for a quarterback next year? Yeah, if it is the right one. That is something they have to figure out."

Instead, general manager John Schneider began rebuilding the foundation after it had eroded. With Wilson and linebacker Bobby Wagner no longer with the franchise, the Legion of Boom era can officially be put to rest. The Seahawks are now built around wide receivers DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett and safety Jamal Adams.

The incoming rookies have exciting upside with strong pedigrees.

This year's ninth overall pick, offensive tackle Charles Cross, immediately fills a premium position with an elite talent. While Alabama's Evan Neal and North Carolina State's Ikem Ekwonu received more attention throughout the predraft process, Cross was generally considered in the same tier as a legitimate top-10 talent.

The Seahawks paired Cross with fellow rookie Abraham Lucas, whom they drafted with the 72nd overall pick. The four-year starter at right tackle has allowed the second-lowest pressure rate since the start of the 2020 campaign, per Pro Football Focus (h/t Smart Football's Adam Carter).

Schneider took a similar approach with two other premium positions and

doubled down at cornerback and edge defender.
The second-round selection of Boye Mafe should give the defense more juice in the pass rush, while Tyreke Smith provides extra depth. Corner is more interesting because fourth-rounder Coby Bryant is the reigning Jim Thorpe Award winner and a sound, aggressive defender, whereas Tariq Woolen, who fell to the fifth round, has a similar background and traits to Richard Sherman as a bigger corner who converted from wide receiver.

An emphasis on those positions, particularly on defense, coupled with the second-round selection of running back Kenneth Walker III portends a throwback approach by Carroll and Co.

A mistake could be thinking that Lock is anything more than a placeholder until he proves otherwise. As a result, the Seahawks should once again be a run-first team, and they have the backfield to make it happen with a returning Chris Carson, re-signed Rashaad Penny and the newly acquired Walker.

"If Rashaad Penny can continue what he did late in the year, and now they have Walker, you know, with that quarterback situation, what's going to happen," an NFC coordinator told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. "Those guys are going to get the ball a ton."

And they should.

Carson is a proven 1,000-yard ball-carrier when healthy, though he's coming off neck surgery. Penny finally looked like a first-round back when he ran for 671 yards over the Seahawks' final five games last season. Walker, meanwhile, is the most explosive back from this year's class. His 1,168 yards after contact in 2021 were the most by a Power Five running back since the 2019 campaign, per Pro Football Focus.

Considering the aforementioned youth at key positions, the team's incomplete roster and the uncertainty under center, the Seahawks aren't positioned to surpass the San Francisco 49ers and Arizona Cardinals, let alone dethrone the reigning Super Bowl champion Los Angeles Rams, in the NFC West.

An eye should be toward the future.

"Their fascination with Drew Lock feels like a contrarian, 'Hey, we are going to win running the ball and our evaluation of Drew Lock was right,'" an executive told Sando. "Only a Super Bowl-winning coach who has tenure and is feeling secure can do that. This will either be the greatest 'I told you so' or it could be, 'Hey, you know what, I gave it a great run, and no one is going to remember this part when it is said and done anyway.'"

Only a lights-out season by Lock could and should sway the Seahawks from going in another direction next offseason. Granted, the team may still entertain the possibility of a Baker Mayfield trade, but he doesn't change the math when it comes to Seattle's current setup since the 2018 No. 1 overall pick isn't under contract after this season.

"I don't see us making a trade for anybody at all. I don't see that happening," Carroll told Sports Radio 93.3 KJR-FM last week (h/t ESPN's Brady Henderson). "But we're certainly going to continue to be open to chances to help our club, and meanwhile, we're just going to be battling and competing our tails off."

The coach also said that Seattle had "no intention" of trading Wilson about two weeks before that occurred. Still, the Seahawks won't take on much, if any, of Mayfield's deal based on their financial standing.

Seattle has $12 million in salary-cap space before it signs its rookie class. The rest can be rolled into the 2023 season when the franchise is projected to have the fifth-most salary-cap space at $62.9 million, per Spotrac.

Carroll and Schneider will also enter the next draft cycle with a pair of first- and second-round selections. They can use one of those picks or package a group of selections to acquire a quarterback in a class that already looks much stronger than the most recent iteration. The Seahawks can make a play for Ohio State's C.J. Stroud, Alabama's Bryce Young, Kentucky's Will Levis or whoever else works his way to the top of the draft.

Seattle has never won fewer than seven games in any season with Carroll as head coach. A pair of seven-win campaigns predated Wilson's arrival as a third-round rookie in 2012. The Seahawks are back to where they started. They're searching for a quarterback, and they'll try to grind out wins and take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves.

In other words, they are dipping into the tank once again and hoping to come out of it with another big fish.
I hope they pick Levis

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Instead, general manager John Schneider began rebuilding the foundation after it had eroded.
I do think this is going to be the best draft they've had in a while. They got three guys I really liked in this draft (Mafe, Bryant, Woolen) and the others are real nice fits. But QB is going to hold them back. I just don't see it with Lock.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do think this is going to be the best draft they've had in a while. They got three guys I really liked in this draft (Mafe, Bryant, Woolen) and the others are real nice fits. But QB is going to hold them back. I just don't see it with Lock.
They are going to Suck to Dump Lock this year......

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Seattle Seahawks

Full 2022 schedule​

WEEKOPPONENTDATETIME (ET)TV
1vs. BroncosSept. 12 (Monday)8:15 p.m.ESPN, ABC
2at 49ersSept. 184:05 p.m.Fox
3vs. FalconsSept. 254:25 p.m.Fox
4at LionsOct. 21 p.m.Fox
5at SaintsOct. 91 p.m.Fox
6vs. CardinalsOct. 164:05 p.m.Fox
7at ChargersOct. 234:25 p.m.Fox
8vs. GiantsOct. 304:25 p.m.Fox
9at CardinalsNov. 64:05 p.m.Fox
10Buccaneers (in Munich)Nov. 139:30 a.m.NFL Network
11Bye
12vs. RaidersNov. 274:05 p.m.CBS
13at RamsDec. 44:05 p.m.Fox
14vs. PanthersDec. 114:25 p.m.Fox
15vs. 49ersDec. 15 (Thursday)8:15 p.m.Amazon Prime
16at ChiefsDec. 24 (Saturday)1 p.m.Fox
17vs. JetsJan. 14:05 p.m.Fox
18vs. RamsJan. 7/8TBATBA

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Seattle Seahawks

Full 2022 schedule​

WEEKOPPONENTDATETIME (ET)TV
1vs. BroncosSept. 12 (Monday)8:15 p.m.ESPN, ABC
2at 49ersSept. 184:05 p.m.Fox
3vs. FalconsSept. 254:25 p.m.Fox
4at LionsOct. 21 p.m.Fox
5at SaintsOct. 91 p.m.Fox
6vs. CardinalsOct. 164:05 p.m.Fox
7at ChargersOct. 234:25 p.m.Fox
8vs. GiantsOct. 304:25 p.m.Fox
9at CardinalsNov. 64:05 p.m.Fox
10Buccaneers (in Munich)Nov. 139:30 a.m.NFL Network
11Bye
12vs. RaidersNov. 274:05 p.m.CBS
13at RamsDec. 44:05 p.m.Fox
14vs. PanthersDec. 114:25 p.m.Fox
15vs. 49ersDec. 15 (Thursday)8:15 p.m.Amazon Prime
16at ChiefsDec. 24 (Saturday)1 p.m.Fox
17vs. JetsJan. 14:05 p.m.Fox
18vs. RamsJan. 7/8TBATBA
I see a 12 loss team with that schedule and their talent level right now.
I could be wrong, it may be 13-14 losses.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I see a 12 loss team with that schedule and their talent level right now.
I could be wrong, it may be 13-14 losses.
Probably closer to a 6-7 win team. They'll fight Arizona for the NFC West cellar.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I sure hope Baker doesn’t end up in Seattle. But, there remains smoke.

With Carolina drafting Corral, plus Darnold, they might be cooling?

View: https://twitter.com/theathleticnfl/status/1527646575115108353?s=21&t=UwHoOY89yRixvdZBrfGO_A

FOR FULL ARTICLE GO HERE;

Quarterback Baker Mayfield is still on the Browns, and it’s been obvious for a while that it’s because of the money.

The Panthers and Seahawks have shown interest in acquiring Mayfield, but the Browns haven’t been willing to absorb enough of his fully guaranteed $18.858 million salary. There had indeed been some progress in the negotiations between the Browns and Panthers before Carolina traded up for quarterback Matt Corral — a move the Panthers felt compelled to make with a QB prospect they liked still dangling out there.

The Panthers and Seahawks still haven’t ruled out acquiring Mayfield, but they’ll need the Browns to take on a much greater portion of his contract than they’ve offered so far. It’s unclear how far apart the sides have been, but the Browns want their contractual intake to be commensurate with the asset they receive in return.

The Browns don’t have much, if any, negotiating leverage, and the Panthers and Seahawks are using that to their advantage. As a fifth-year player, Mayfield’s minimum base salary would be $1.035 million, which means the Browns could eat as much as $17.823 million in a trade. The Panthers and Seahawks are obviously pushing for something closer to that number.

The Browns, meanwhile, could theoretically keep Mayfield through 2022 if a trade doesn’t materialize. If they do release him — absorbing the full $18.858 million and really only netting a roster spot — they’ve got to believe the Panthers or Seahawks would have to pay him more than $1.035 million, which is part of their leverage play.

The Browns are also daring the Seahawks (Drew Lock and Geno Smith) and Panthers (Sam Darnold and Corral) to roll with their current QBs. With Mayfield still rehabbing his surgically repaired left shoulder, his inability to currently practice has probably tempered the urgency to acquire him to foster a quarterback competition.

Therefore, everyone remains stuck in a holding pattern.