SEAHAWKS 2022/23 Seattle Seahawks Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
When I look at Wagner's play I don't see a player who has lost a step. I see a lack of communication and perhaps some confusion or uncertainty in his play, i.e. I think it's more schematic than physical. Norton tried to change things up, i.e. update the stale 4-3 scheme they have used since the Legion of Boom days. He played his front 7 more like a 3-4 hybrid scheme which had that front 7 playing with totally new concepts. A case in point was how often Carlos Dunlap, a pure 4-3 DE was asked to drop into coverage. It created the same scheme compatibility issues that Fowler had when he was asked to drop in LA's hybrid 3-4 scheme. When you make scheme changes like those, it tends to slow players down until they no longer have to think through the play. IMO Seattle's inability to make stops reflected a lack of communication on the field. Yet Wagner had 170 tackles, the most in his career, which doesn't look like a guy that has lost a step.

Scheme fit is huge, and it's why Reeder going to the Chargers makes complete sense. Will Wagner be a fit with the Rams? Absolutely if Morris uses him properly. Morris simply needs to turn him loose to use his experience to flow with the play. Early last season Morris was too rigid in how he played his guys. Morris must not play Wagner that way.

Playing behind Donald, Gaines and A'Shawn should keep Wagner clean. That is what allowed Jones to have the season he did. It will allow Morris to play two ILBs more often. Basically, Morris has another, albeit, more athletic player in Wagner than Weddle, who can quickly read the play and flow to the POA. Wagner brings the same type of experience veteran presence that Weddle brought, but in a fulltime player. Weddle elevated the defense by making the right calls, now Morris has the same type of player in Wagner, but who can stay on the field every down.
That’s how Wagner explained it in the article posted here.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One of the reasons why Metcalf played so well was because of Russell Wilson. I'm not sure he is a great route runner. But you get a QB like Wilson running around back there and Mettcalf breaks his route and takes off and Wilson could find him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One of the reasons why Metcalf played so well was because of Russell Wilson. I'm not sure he is a great route runner. But you get a QB like Wilson running around back there and Mettcalf breaks his route and takes off and Wilson could find him.
Yes. That’s why, in the NFC West position by position ranking thread, I predicted that Allen Robinson could have a better year with Stafford throwing to him than DK could if his QB is Lock.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Ahh, the Rams have enjoyed the luxury of good guy wrs like Kupp and Woods, then an all business obj. And now Allen Robinson. These are the Rams.

Metcalf personifies the seafucks and their shit fans.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They should move DK. Not worth the contract coming up.

oldnotdead

Legend
I also would like to say not to sleep on Drew Lock. When I watch him play I see the issues that were highlighted on his pre-draft evaluations have not really been addressed. He lost the entire year in 2019 (his rookie year) due to a thumb injury and has never gotten on track. He was drafted in the second round because teams could see he was probably going to have to be coached up for 2 years.

He flashes but he's inconsistent. Footwork, and accuracy issues due to faulty mechanics. He understands the concepts of reading defenses, but you have to wonder how good his coaching was in Denver. He has the traits and the arm talent to be a pretty good pocket passer. I think the Seahawks are correct on trying to coach him up properly while they rebuild their team. He's got one year left on his rookie contract to impress them. As a second-round pick, he's not going to cost them much. I think the Seahawks see what I see, that it's been his coaching, and probably not the player.

The ceiling is probably a pretty good second tier QB. Like I've said you can win with a good 2nd tier QB if he has a good team around him on both sides of the ball. They also have Jacob Eason who throws a beautiful ball with decent deep accuracy. He came out of school too early and should have stayed to develop his skills. Geno Smith is their journeyman backup so it will be interesting to see how these two developmental talents look this year.

My guess is the Broncos got impatient and gave up on him instead of bringing him along.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also would like to say not to sleep on Drew Lock. When I watch him play I see the issues that were highlighted on his pre-draft evaluations have not really been addressed. He lost the entire year in 2019 (his rookie year) due to a thumb injury and has never gotten on track. He was drafted in the second round because teams could see he was probably going to have to be coached up for 2 years.

He flashes but he's inconsistent. Footwork, and accuracy issues due to faulty mechanics. He understands the concepts of reading defenses, but you have to wonder how good his coaching was in Denver. He has the traits and the arm talent to be a pretty good pocket passer. I think the Seahawks are correct on trying to coach him up properly while they rebuild their team. He's got one year left on his rookie contract to impress them. As a second-round pick, he's not going to cost them much. I think the Seahawks see what I see, that it's been his coaching, and probably not the player.

The ceiling is probably a pretty good second tier QB. Like I've said you can win with a good 2nd tier QB if he has a good team around him on both sides of the ball. They also have Jacob Eason who throws a beautiful ball with decent deep accuracy. He came out of school too early and should have stayed to develop his skills. Geno Smith is their journeyman backup so it will be interesting to see how these two developmental talents look this year.

My guess is the Broncos got impatient and gave up on him instead of bringing him along.
I agree on the coaching take with the Broncos. Living in Colorado I’ve watched Lock the past two years. He should have won the qb competition last year against Bridgewater. Fangio believed Teddy had more leadership ability, that’s debatable when I watched Lock in the game. The Broncos have good players at WR and RB. It felt like the team believed those pieces would bring out the QBs talent. Pat Shurmur did little to nothing in developing either Lock or Teddy.

My down side is I have to watch Wilson the next few years in Denver when no other games are on.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree on the coaching take with the Broncos. Living in Colorado I’ve watched Lock the past two years. He should have won the qb competition last year against Bridgewater. Fangio believed Teddy had more leadership ability, that’s debatable when I watched Lock in the game. The Broncos have good players at WR and RB. It felt like the team believed those pieces would bring out the QBs talent. Pat Shurmur did little to nothing in developing either Lock or Teddy.

My down side is I have to watch Wilson the next few years in Denver when no other games are on.
Shurmur doing little to nothing to develop QBs. That sounds familiar.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

More Reports Indicate Russell Wilson, Pete Carroll “Wanted Divorce” From Each Other​

By the end of Russell Wilson’s tenure in Seattle, it was pretty clear that him and longtime head coach, Pete Carroll, didn’t necessarily see eye-to-eye.

It all started last offseason, when it was reported that Wilson was hoping to get more say in Seattle’s personal decisions. It was said at that time that Wilson had grown annoyed with the increasing role of Carroll and his sons on the staff. And he was looking for a change in the dynamic.

Being as he’s a pro’s pro, Russell Wilson still never publicly denounced Pete Carroll after he was traded away to Denver this offseason. But according to a report from NFL analyst John Middlekauff, both sides wanted an end to the marriage.

“So he finally told you I want out and your head coach, which is a little weird,” Middlekauf said. “You’re staying loyal to him. He’s seventy years old but you didn’t want really to coach him either. He can say whatever he wants, like they wanted to divorce from each other, Pete and Russell. This one like regardless who your quarterback is, you want DK Metcalf on your team.”

View: https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1504192306160701443?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1504192306160701443%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsideaction.com%2Fnfl%2Frussell-wilson-pete-carroll-wanted-divorce-from-each-other-seahawks-broncos-bjs%2F

Middlekauf would continue with his comments about how Settle still shouldn’t trade DK Metcalf just because Russell Wilson’s gone.

“Because he’s a difference making player and if you have a lower end quarterback, which they’re going to have, he’s an enormous target to throw to. So to me, the Jets should not be interested in trading pick 10 and 100% Seattle Seahawks should not trade DK Metcalf, just like the Titans shouldn’t trade AJ brown or the 49ers trade Deebo Samuel. “

No matter how or why it happened, a Russell Wilson trade felt like a long time coming. And even Pete Carroll knew it. Now, the veteran coach will be trying to go through a rebuild or retool with the new-look Seahawks, while Wilson will undoubtedly have Super Bowl aspirations in his first season with the Broncos.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
“Because he’s a difference making player and if you have a lower end quarterback, which they’re going to have, he’s an enormous target to throw to. So to me, the Jets should not be interested in trading pick 10 and 100% Seattle Seahawks should not trade DK Metcalf, just like the Titans shouldn’t trade AJ brown or the 49ers trade Deebo Samuel. “
Yeah, no reason to believe Metcalf is going to flip out when some "lower end QB" can't find him on the field, just because he flipped out when Wilson didn't get him the ball! If Metcalf stays in Seattle get the popcorn!!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here is what Seattle has done, so far.

Thoughts on these players? Their draft, so far?

Round 1 (No. 9 overall, from Broncos) - Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State: Coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider hope the trade of QB Russell Wilson starts paying off here. It sure seems like Carroll wants to get back to running the ball and playing suffocating defense, things the Seahawks often struggled to do in the latter part of Wilson's reign. Draft tracker

Round 2 (40, from Broncos) - Boye Mafe, LB, Minnesota: He had seven sacks in 2021, and his quick first step was partially quantified by the 6-4, 261-pounder's 4.53 40 clocking at the combine. He should be a good fit on the edge for a Seattle defense converting to a 3-4 front. Draft tracker

Round 2 (41) - Kenneth Walker III, RB, Michigan State: Pretty obvious Seattle wants to get back to pounding the ball on the ground, even if they do it by committee instead of with a Marshawn Lynch-type. Walker (5-9, 211) joins a trio that includes Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny but could quickly establish himself as the lead dog given his 4.38 speed can be a game changer. Draft tracker

Round 3 (72) - Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State: Looks like Seattle has a new pair of bookend tackles after picking Charles Cross on Thursday. Lucas will be on the right side. Draft tracker

Round 4 (109, from Jets)

Round 5 (145, from Lions through Broncos)

Round 5 (153)

Round 7 (229)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Here is what Seattle has done, so far.

Thoughts on these players? Their draft, so far?

Round 1 (No. 9 overall, from Broncos) - Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State: Coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider hope the trade of QB Russell Wilson starts paying off here. It sure seems like Carroll wants to get back to running the ball and playing suffocating defense, things the Seahawks often struggled to do in the latter part of Wilson's reign. Draft tracker

Round 2 (40, from Broncos) - Boye Mafe, LB, Minnesota: He had seven sacks in 2021, and his quick first step was partially quantified by the 6-4, 261-pounder's 4.53 40 clocking at the combine. He should be a good fit on the edge for a Seattle defense converting to a 3-4 front. Draft tracker

Round 2 (41) - Kenneth Walker III, RB, Michigan State: Pretty obvious Seattle wants to get back to pounding the ball on the ground, even if they do it by committee instead of with a Marshawn Lynch-type. Walker (5-9, 211) joins a trio that includes Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny but could quickly establish himself as the lead dog given his 4.38 speed can be a game changer. Draft tracker

Round 3 (72) - Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State: Looks like Seattle has a new pair of bookend tackles after picking Charles Cross on Thursday. Lucas will be on the right side. Draft tracker

Round 4 (109, from Jets)

Round 5 (145, from Lions through Broncos)

Round 5 (153)

Round 7 (229)
I think this may be one of their best drafts since Pete started coaching the Seahawks. It looks like four solid starters. It had to be addressed when playing the Rams D-line twice a year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah, that’s a smart move. Wilson has to be pissed, seeing all of the O-linemen they didn’t give him. And the last guy I wanted them to take is Mafe. If they take Sam Howell, I’ll be peeved as well; honestly think he’s the best quarterback in the class.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think this may be one of their best drafts since Pete started coaching the Seahawks. It looks like four solid starters. It had to be addressed when playing the Rams D-line twice a year.

Yeah. I am liking their draft. Damn. :D

Who knows, but it looks solid to me so far.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
How ironic that Seattle finally has what appears to be a good draft after trading Wilson? I'm glad they didn't build Wilson an OL, and now that they have questions at QB, they decide to fix the OL.