2021 NFL DRAFT SNAP GRADES

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

2021 NFL Draft grades for all 32 teams​

By Ryan Dunleavy
May 1, 2021 | 5:22pm | Updated

31) Los Angeles Rams​

Grade: D+

Key Picks: Tutu Atwell (WR Louisville), Ernest Jones (LB, South Carolina), Bobby Brown (DT, Texas A&M)

Analysis: Atwell’s 4.32-second time in the 40-yard dash is tantalizing, but he weighs the same as some seventh-graders (149 pounders). The Rams haven’t made a first-round pick since 2016 and don’t have one until 2024. Jones is not the coverage linebacker they needed.

Chad_Reuter_1400x1000

Chad Reuter
Draft Analyst

Grade
A
Los Angeles Rams

Los Angeles Rams

Draft picks

Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: B+
Day 3 grade: A

Analysis: While I’m usually not a big fan of parting with multiple first-round picks for a non-quarterback, cornerback Jalen Ramsey is an exception to the rule as one of the top defenders in the NFL. His presence is one reason the Rams have one of the top defenses in the league, so allowing the Jaguars to pick at No. 25 (and in the fourth round, as well) this year was a worthwhile deal. Atwell’s an explosive player whose extremely small frame (5-9, 155) is a bit worrisome. GM Les Snead traded one of the Rams' two third-round picks for two fourths, which made sense, given the team’s lack of overall draft capital. Using their third-round comp pick on Jones addressed a big need on defense.

The Rams picked two defensive lineman with the last name Brown (Bobby in the third, Ernest in the fifth) to help replace Michael Brockers (traded to the Lions). Rochell was expected to go in the fourth round, and the Rams needed depth at the position; that’s a good marriage of need and value. Harris won over teams at his pro day and projects as a stand-up receiving tight end. Garrett is an edge rusher prospect who will bring it hard in training camp.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow an A & D+, reading like my grades in college for History & Math.
Yeah, I thought the contrast in assessment was deserving of a thread.
Much like our evaluation around here has been varied.
I will not be surprised if we sign 2 more veteran mid level FA's on short term deals

dang

Legend
In general I would expect the Rams to get mostly C/D grades until proven otherwise. They certainly played off a different script from most peoples view.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's a fair grade because in a draft loaded with OL and with a ton of turnover coming after the season in that room they didn't take even one of them. I do trust their evaluation btw but I'm left with a lot of concerns.

Been thinking about what was bothering me the most about this draft and for the most part it's that we passed on Meinerz. I think he's going to be a Pro Bowl level player and the Rams will be one of many teams that regret passing on him.

As to who we picked it feels to me like this draft hangs on those two DL they took to replace Brock and Fox. If those guys can replace them we may be in pretty good shape. If not, we're gonna get bullied by teams with good run games and our defense will take a dive from that top ranking.

Sure hope we get a preseason this year. I love the opportunity to see the depth players.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's a fair grade because in a draft loaded with OL and with a ton of turnover coming after the season in that room they didn't take even one of them. I do trust their evaluation btw but I'm left with a lot of concerns.

Been thinking about what was bothering me the most about this draft and for the most part it's that we passed on Meinerz. I think he's going to be a Pro Bowl level player and the Rams will be one of many teams that regret passing on him.

As to who we picked it feels to me like this draft hangs on those two DL they took to replace Brock and Fox. If those guys can replace them we may be in pretty good shape. If not, we're gonna get bullied by teams with good run games and our defense will take a dive from that top ranking.

Sure hope we get a preseason this year. I love the opportunity to see the depth players.

I think the pick of Jones and the DL picks, along with re-signing Floyd signal a commitment to stopping the run. Our defensive line rotation will consist of four big guys who specialize in stopping the run, AD and whatever Earnest Brown brings to the table.

Between Kiser actually staying healthy and/or Jones stepping in, our run defense is about to be better.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the pick of Jones and the DL picks, along with re-signing Floyd signal a commitment to stopping the run. Our defensive line rotation will consist of four big guys who specialize in stopping the run, AD and whatever Earnest Brown brings to the table.

Between Kiser actually staying healthy and/or Jones stepping in, our run defense is about to be better.
Agreed and getting more stout up front is what I wanted. But it might be a tall order for Robinson and those two DL to replace Brock and Fox. Those two guys played some great ball for us last season and were big parts of that #1 defensive ranking.

I am very happy they took an ILB. I put up Jones' film in fact in one of the draft area threads and wasn't averse to him by any means. But it seemed like there were better options. I will say though that his DL looked shitty to me. Opposing OL didn't waste time on assists they gunned straight for him, those guys up front really do matter for the off ball backers. So he may end up being a find for us. (y)

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'd give it an incomplete lol realistically though as of now I'm good at a "B-"

I hope we can bump it up a few spots one they though.

tempests

Hall of Fame
How about we grade ROD's performance on draft weekend?

Angst ridden response to drafting of Tutu Atwell - A+. Good job boys.

dang

Legend
Time will tell but if the Rams would have gotten Humphrey, Myers or Meinerz many would have intrigued but satisfied with the draft.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, they identified Atwell and Jones as two players they had to have. I imagine their goal was probably to trade down both times, thinking they could get both later - but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the risk for Atwell.

I think that because day two and day three sort of felt like two completely different approaches - most pundits would give the Rams a C for day two and an A or B for day three.

Tells me that they have plans to essentially scheme Atwell and Jones up and make them better.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Agreed and getting more stout up front is what I wanted. But it might be a tall order for Robinson and those two DL to replace Brock and Fox. Those two guys played some great ball for us last season and were big parts of that #1 defensive ranking.

While I feel we've addressed the loss of Brockers adequately with Bobby Brown, I must admit to being less confident that Earnest Brown is the absolute answer at 5T. Earnest appears to have some interior skills which can help, but I worry that he's not going to pressure QB's from the outside on pass plays. My hope is that one of Eric Banks, Jonah Williams or Marquise Copeland shines brighter at 5T. For what Fox received in free agency, I still believe the Rams should have matched his salary, ... waiting until the very end of the 5'th round to address the DE position in a weak DL draft class has me wanting to believe that one of our reservists may be ready to take the next step. I guess we'll soon see. jmo.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

2021 NFL Draft grades for all 32 teams​

By Ryan Dunleavy
May 1, 2021 | 5:22pm | Updated

31) Los Angeles Rams​

Grade: D+

Key Picks: Tutu Atwell (WR Louisville), Ernest Jones (LB, South Carolina), Bobby Brown (DT, Texas A&M)

Analysis: Atwell’s 4.32-second time in the 40-yard dash is tantalizing, but he weighs the same as some seventh-graders (149 pounders). The Rams haven’t made a first-round pick since 2016 and don’t have one until 2024. Jones is not the coverage linebacker they needed.

Chad_Reuter_1400x1000

Chad Reuter
Draft Analyst

Grade
A
Los Angeles Rams

Los Angeles Rams

Draft picks

Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: B+
Day 3 grade: A

Analysis: While I’m usually not a big fan of parting with multiple first-round picks for a non-quarterback, cornerback Jalen Ramsey is an exception to the rule as one of the top defenders in the NFL. His presence is one reason the Rams have one of the top defenses in the league, so allowing the Jaguars to pick at No. 25 (and in the fourth round, as well) this year was a worthwhile deal. Atwell’s an explosive player whose extremely small frame (5-9, 155) is a bit worrisome. GM Les Snead traded one of the Rams' two third-round picks for two fourths, which made sense, given the team’s lack of overall draft capital. Using their third-round comp pick on Jones addressed a big need on defense.

The Rams picked two defensive lineman with the last name Brown (Bobby in the third, Ernest in the fifth) to help replace Michael Brockers (traded to the Lions). Rochell was expected to go in the fourth round, and the Rams needed depth at the position; that’s a good marriage of need and value. Harris won over teams at his pro day and projects as a stand-up receiving tight end. Garrett is an edge rusher prospect who will bring it hard in training camp.

One of these guys is a beat writer who covers the NY Jets for the NY Post

The others full time job is covering and analyzing the NFL draft

Guess which is which.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
B/R linked to a number of analyses, most were B-/B/B+.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
IMO, they identified Atwell and Jones as two players they had to have. I imagine their goal was probably to trade down both times, thinking they could get both later - but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the risk for Atwell.

I think that because day two and day three sort of felt like two completely different approaches - most pundits would give the Rams a C for day two and an A or B for day three.

Tells me that they have plans to essentially scheme Atwell and Jones up and make them better.
Take it you don't agree with the "Reach for Atwell in a moment of panic when Eskridge came off the board at 56," theory...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Take it you don't agree with the "Reach for Atwell in a moment of panic when Eskridge came off the board at 56," theory...

Lol not at all. I think Atwell himself said the Rams told him they might take him in the second round