2021 NFL Draft: Lance Zierlein’s top 10 centers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And yet multiple Alabama skill players said they think Mac Jones is a better QB than Tua. All in the last few months... Ruggs, Najee Harris, Devonta Smith, Waddle all said they prefer Jones. Steve Sarkisian also came out and said his NFL comp is Matt Ryan.

Tua was just such a big name for years but he didnt show me much last year in the NFL. I like Trey Lance over Mac Jones but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what Shanahan wants at QB. Quick reads, quick throws, good arm, comes from a pro system. This year's QB class is pretty good.
The criticism re: Jones is over the top IMO. He's not a great athlete yes. But the guy is smart, gets through reads quickly, and might be a quick study in terms of being able to run an offense at this level.

All this media prioritization of running ability overlooks things like fit with an offense. If, for example, he can get through his reads in the NFL and make accurate throws on-time he will be worth that pick and Shanny will look like a genius for taking a good player. If he doesn't Shanny will be criticized and the media will act like they knew it all along.

Nobody knows if the guy has the gravitas to stand in there and make throws at this level. But I think if Shanny wants him there's a good chance he'll work out.

dang

Legend
The criticism re: Jones is over the top IMO. He's not a great athlete yes. But the guy is smart, gets through reads quickly, and might be a quick study in terms of being able to run an offense at this level.

All this media prioritization of running ability overlooks things like fit with an offense. If, for example, he can get through his reads in the NFL and make accurate throws on-time he will be worth that pick and Shanny will look like a genius for taking a good player. If he doesn't Shanny will be criticized and the media will act like they knew it all along.

Nobody knows if the guy has the gravitas to stand in there and make throws at this level. But I think if Shanny wants him there's a good chance he'll work out.
He certainly doesn’t have the look of an elite athlete but neither did Tom Brady.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. Neither did Brees whose arm was just enough. The rules on talent change a bit with the QBs. Pocket QBs in today's league can't threaten the edge and thus slow the rush. But if and when they master the position they have plenty of upside.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most centers drafted after the 1st do not start their first year, So I do not see a center at 57.
2020 saw 2nd Rounder Matt Hennesy (ATL) start 2 games, and play in 13 behind Alex Mack, Cushenberry (DEN) started all 16 and Biadasz (DAL) started 4 games despite recovering from off season surgery
2019 saw 2 C drafted in 2nd round, Jenkins (GB) has started 30 of 32 games (at LG but still, he was a pro bowler as well) and MCoy (NOS) who has started 32 of 32 games at C
So I dont think "most" is fair, especially on o-line where there isnt much rotation unless there is injury, so a guy may play another position or sit behind an incumbent

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Curios if Ryan McCollum is Andy McCollum's kid?
I don't think so.
All I could find was that his cousin is a country music star named Parker McCollum.
I think they would have mentioned if his dad played in the NFL as it was a profile article on Ryan.

JRobinson

MiLB
As long as we address OLine during our first couple picks, I’ll be happy. I hope we take at least two this draft. It’s pretty clear to me that we will take OLB, a FS/SS hybrid, CB, and OLine. But knowing McVay, we will most likely take a couple skilled position guys on the offensive side.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like the Rams will either take a C with their 1st pick, or wait until 5th round or so.
Can he start day 1? 1st pick.
Going to have to ride pine until ready? May as well wait...

dang

Legend
IMO the Rams will trade down for multiple picks or select BPA with the first pick.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
IMO the Rams will trade down for multiple picks or select BPA with the first pick.

Though that's Snead's MO, it depends on who's available at #57. If there's a pretty good CB, I'd expect them to stand pat and take him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
If we can come out of the draft with Dickerson, Meinerz or Myers I'd be ecstatic.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Don't like that he can get bullied/overpowered by bigger NT's. Other than that a good 3rd/4th round option
I like him as the backup option in the 3rd comp if we miss out on the other OC options earlier.
With Menet, Jackson, Morrissey & Dalman as the 4th or later roundss draft selections if we wait until later for addressing OC.

Tano

Legend
It is built-in Snead's DNA to trade down for multiple picks.
I still remember 2019

First pick in second round:

Rams have traded down

Rams have traded down again

Rams have traded down even again

Next pick

What's this? The Rams have traded up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't forget Creed Humphrey. I actually want him first and foremost. Just hope no matter what, we get a good center out of this.
As I said earlier he's very good. He's just very injury prone something like 4 major game time missing injuries in college before even getting to the pro's is not a good sign. As good as he is I'd rather go other ways from college centers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As I said earlier he's very good. He's just very injury prone something like 4 major game time missing injuries in college before even getting to the pro's is not a good sign. As good as he is I'd rather go other ways from college centers.

Creed Humphrey? Are you mixing him up?

Not seeing injury history.

I tried to find some stats, or something. Had to settle for Walter Football;

Summary: Humphrey spent the last three seasons as a reliable and dependable starter for the Sooners. He broke into the starting line up in 2018 as a redshirt freshman and became a steady producer at the point of attack. That trend continued in 2019 and 2020, with Humphrey putting together good seasons for Oklahoma.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Creed Humphrey? Are you mixing him up?

Not seeing injury history.

I tried to find some stats, or something. Had to settle for Walter Football;

Summary: Humphrey spent the last three seasons as a reliable and dependable starter for the Sooners. He broke into the starting line up in 2018 as a redshirt freshman and became a steady producer at the point of attack. That trend continued in 2019 and 2020, with Humphrey putting together good seasons for Oklahoma.
Yes the Bama center I think Humphrey is gone before we pick long gone like late 1st round gone. :D