2020 MLB Thread.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very impressed overall with the Dodgers the top 3 pitchers all have nice upside. The CF is an intriguing option to me. After that I don't know the guys much yet.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very impressed overall with the Dodgers the top 3 pitchers all have nice upside. The CF is an intriguing option to me. After that I don't know the guys much yet.

Yeah, you all picked some good college pitchers. And Vogel (the high school CF) has a lot of speed to burn.

But hey, if we knew about these kids, we'd be GMs or scouts, right? :D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, you all picked some good college pitchers. And Vogel (the high school CF) has a lot of speed to burn.

But hey, if we knew about these kids, we'd be GMs or scouts, right? :D
The thing I like is 4 of the picks including the top 2 is the same scout that has had some major success for us including scouting Buehler and Will Smith recently.

Memento

Name
Jemma
The thing I like is 4 of the picks including the top 2 is the same scout that has had some major success for us including scouting Buehler and Will Smith recently.

Yeah, there's a reason why certain teams draft in the top ten every year, while teams like the Cardinals and Dodgers don't: scouting and development

It means everything to have competent scouts find good prospects, while competent minor league instructors to bring out the potential of those players, and that's something both of our teams share in common.

The Cardinals, even under Chris Correa's one year in 2015, have found studs in the draft (in Correa's case, Harrison Bader, Paul DeJong, Jordan Hicks, and Ryan Helsley, all of whom are on our major league club and with Jake Woodford knocking on the door and on the 40 man roster. Imagine if we had hit on our other two first round picks that year, but I digress.)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And now we're taking a safer pick in Levi Prater. He's interesting in that he's a lefty pitcher with only three fingers on his right hand (lawnmower accident when he was two), and he doesn't have especially good stuff, but his control and competitiveness is top notch.

Edit: He actually has two fingers on his right hand. My mistake. Wonder how he's going to hit as a pitcher, but he's interesting with his competitiveness and command on the mound.
Well, pitchers don’t hit in the minors and if he makes it to the majors in 2 years, they’ll likely have the DH in NL by then...

Memento

Name
Jemma
Well, pitchers don’t hit in the minors and if he makes it to the majors in 2 years, they’ll likely have the DH in NL by then...

True. Either way, here's hoping that he's the Cardinal's answer to Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown. :D

Memento

Name
Jemma
Looks like the Dodgers won an ESPY for humanitarian work. Congrats, Dodgers fan on this forum! :D

Memento

Name
Jemma
Cardinals signed Jordan Walker, our first round pick (and future MLB star) to a deal! And it's underslot so they can sign Masyn Winn, Tink Hence, and Ian Bedell, who all will probably have overslot deals. According to Bedell, he's already signed to an overslot deal; they just haven't announced it yet. That leaves Winn and Hence, both of whom have serious upside.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And it looks like a 60 game schedule and DH for 2 years.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Memento who do you see as the Cards DH? Dodgers I’m betting A.J. Pollock and Justin Turner see a lot of time there.
Also reports are 40 division games 20 vs regional AL teams. We get to play the Trashtros!

Memento

Name
Jemma
@Memento who do you see as the Cards DH? Dodgers I’m betting A.J. Pollock and Justin Turner see a lot of time there.
Also reports are 40 division games 20 vs regional AL teams. We get to play the Trashtros!

I see Carpenter as the DH. Edman outplayed him at third, Wong's a Gold Glove second baseman, and Goldschmidt is the first baseman. Then you have DeJong at shortstop, Edman playing all over to give people breathers, and a questionable outfield with Bader as a potential Gold Glove center (if he can hit), Lane Thomas, Tyler O'Neill, Dexter Fowler, and (possibly) Dylan Carlson and Justin Williams (if Williams can prove that his stint in Memphis wasn't a fluke, I'd start him in left; he was that good.)

If the taxi system is true, I can see us putting our top prospects on it, so that they get experience. Carlson, for sure, will be on. Definitely Knizner. Maybe Gorman, Liberatore, and Herrera? Who knows with MLB screwing with the players as they have?

Other than the Dodgers, I think the Cardinals are best suited for the DH rule, and suffer the most from having the minor league system cancelled.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see Carpenter as the DH. Edman outplayed him at third, Wong's a Gold Glove second baseman, and Goldschmidt is the first baseman. Then you have DeJong at shortstop, Edman playing all over to give people breathers, and a questionable outfield with Bader as a potential Gold Glove center (if he can hit), Lane Thomas, Tyler O'Neill, Dexter Fowler, and (possibly) Dylan Carlson and Justin Williams (if Williams can prove that his stint in Memphis wasn't a fluke, I'd start him in left; he was that good.)

If the taxi system is true, I can see us putting our top prospects on it, so that they get experience. Carlson, for sure, will be on. Definitely Knizner. Maybe Gorman, Liberatore, and Herrera? Who knows with MLB screwing with the players as they have?

Other than the Dodgers, I think the Cardinals are best suited for the DH rule, and suffer the most from having the minor league system cancelled.
What I read on the rosters was 30 to start then down to 28 after 3 weeks. Them down to the 26 man roster after game 29. Teams will start with an extra 30 people training for a taxi squad and the 4 reduced from the starting ouster will add to it. Those are for injuries, Covid or just bad play dubs. Haven’t read anything on length of the injured list in terms of games.

Memento

Name
Jemma
What I read on the rosters was 30 to start then down to 28 after 3 weeks. Them down to the 26 man roster after game 29. Teams will start with an extra 30 people training for a taxi squad and the 4 reduced from the starting ouster will add to it. Those are for injuries, Covid or just bad play dubs. Haven’t read anything on length of the injured list in terms of games.

Okay. I'm just really confused about how this is all going to work out.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
May as well call it permanent at this point
Yup because the next CBA will be negotiated during that 2 years. I hate it but it's a reality now it seems. Plus my team is as well set up for it as any NL team if not better.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup because the next CBA will be negotiated during that 2 years. I hate it but it's a reality now it seems. Plus my team is as well set up for it as any NL team if not better.
Yep, your team certainly is.
Hopefully the next time they're in a World Series they'll get the opportunity to play it straight up, and not have the additional hurdle of having to beat a team who's cheating

Memento

Name
Jemma
Andrew Toles (remember the name, Dodger fans?) was arrested for trespassing in an airport. He had no listed place of residence other than the streets and nothing with him except a black bag.

Here's hoping he gets the help he needs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Andrew Toles (remember the name, Dodger fans?) was arrested for trespassing in an airport. He had no listed place of residence other than the streets and nothing with him except a black bag.

Here's hoping he gets the help he needs.
He's had mental health issues for a very long time. It's what led to his release and the Dodgers picking him up. He was always a fun player to watch and a good dude it seems but yeah it's sad where he's at right now. Too many people homeless in this country and no governments at city, state or county level want to help them. Hope they all get help.

Memento

Name
Jemma
He's had mental health issues for a very long time. It's what led to his release and the Dodgers picking him up. He was always a fun player to watch and a good dude it seems but yeah it's sad where he's at right now. Too many people homeless in this country and no governments at city, state or county level want to help them. Hope they all get help.

Yeah, or the only "home" is a psychiatric ward or prison, if one's lucky. Given that I was in that situation only a little more than five years ago, I can empathize with Toles and anyone else in his position.