2013 NFL Draft/Prospect Discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Speeps

Starter
X said:
Speeps said:
I know safety is one of our biggest needs this offseason. However, I would love to see Matt Daniels get a chance. He's a physical safety that is a very good tackler.

[tweet]298152885747855360[/tweet]
You're on top of things X :lol:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
GreeneCounty said:
Richardson can be a headcase. I rather Rams get a safety.

Speaking as a Mizzou fan, Richardson is an apathetic head-case and a one-year wonder. This year was the only year where he tried hard (he was horrible in his sophomore year; every time people ran at him, he was swallowed up by the offensive lineman, and every time they ran away from him, he quit on the play. This was the only year he didn't do that.) He got suspended for skipping classes, he talked trash before the Georgia game and didn't back it up, and he clashed with coaching staff to the point where Pinkel, who is normally a patient and tolerant head coach, wanted nothing to do with him.

Normally, I'd be all for getting a hometown kid, but a team would be ignoring so many warning signs by taking Richardson in the first round, especially since there's a very good chance that he'll quit once he makes his money. You can't teach work ethic to a lazy player.
Thanks for the info on Richardson, I didn't know the details of the red flags.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Speeps said:
I know safety is one of our biggest needs this offseason. However, I would love to see Matt Daniels get a chance. He's a physical safety that is a very good tackler.

[tweet]298152885747855360[/tweet]

He'll definitely have a chance in camp this year.

bluecoconuts

Legend
With the rookie wage scale, it's so hard to predict who goes where. I'm hoping a few QB hungry teams reach in the first, looking for more of this previous years, and we have someone fall to us that we need and is a great player.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Pre-combine position rankings for 2013 NFL Draft

Mike Mayock
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000139744/article/precombine-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft?campaign=Twitter_writers_mayock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10000 ... ers_mayock</a>

With the NFL Scouting Combine beginning on Feb. 23, Mike Mayock unveils the first of his position-by-position rankings for the 2013 NFL Draft.

Quarterback
1. Geno Smith, West Virginia
2. Matt Barkley, USC
3. Mike Glennon, NC State
4. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse
5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma

Mock drafts:
» Norris: Glennon to Cardinals
» Jeremiah: Joeckel falls to Lions
» Brooks: Version 2.0 still has Smith at No. 1
» Breer: No quarterbacks in first round
» Brandt: Joeckel, Werner, Smith go 1-2-3

Draft coverage:
» Mayock's top prospects by position | Analysis
» Brandt: Draft QBs by the numbers
» Combine invitees | Te'o headlines list | Snubs
» Brooks: Offensive rankings | Defensive rankings
» NFL Draft Tracker Podcast: Latest buzz

Running Back
1. Eddie Lacy, Alabama
2. Montee Ball, Wisconsin
3. Andre Ellington, Clemson
4. Giovani Bernard, North Carolina
5. Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina

Wide Receiver
1. Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
2. Keenan Allen, Cal
3. Terrance Williams, Baylor
4. Tavon Austin, West Virginia
5. Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech

Tight End
1. Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
2. Zach Ertz, Stanford
3. Gavin Escobar, San Diego State
4. Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
5. Jordan Reed, Florida

Center
1. Travis Frederick, Wisconsin
2. Brian Schwenke, Cal
3. Barrett Jones, Alabama
4. Khaled Holmes, USC
5. Braxston Cave, Notre Dame

Guard
1. Chance Warmack, Alabama
2. Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina
3. Larry Warford, Kentucky
4. Kyle Long, Oregon
5. Brian Winters, Kent State

Tackle
1. Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M
2. Eric Fisher, Central Michigan
3. Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
4. D.J. Fluker, Alabama
T-5. Menelik Watson, Florida State
T-5. Justin Pugh, Syracuse

Defensive End
1. Bjoern Werner, Florida State
2. Damontre Moore, Texas A&M
3. Ezekiel Ansah, BYU
4. Sam Montgomery, LSU
T-5. Datone Jones, UCLA
T-5. Margus Hunt, SMU

Defensive Tackle
1. Sharrif Floyd, Florida
2. Star Lotulelei, Utah
3. Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
4. Sylvester Williams, North Carolina
T-5. Kawann Short, Purdue
T-5. Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State

Outside linebacker
1. Dion Jordan, Oregon
2. Jarvis Jones, Georgia
3. Khaseem Greene, Rutgers
4. Barkevious Mingo, LSU
5. Arthur Brown, Kansas State

Inside linebacker
1. Alec Ogletree, Georgia
2. Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
3. Kevin Minter, LSU
4. Kevin Reddick, North Carolina
5. Kiko Alonso, Oregon

Cornerback
1. Dee Milliner, Alabama
2. Xavier Rhodes, Florida State
3. Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State
4. Desmond Trufant, Washington
5. Jordan Poyer, Oregon State

Safety
1. Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
2. Matt Elam, Florida
3. Johnathan Cyprien, Florida International
4. Eric Reid, LSU
5. Zeke Motta, Notre Dame

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Alec Ogletree charged with DUI

Former Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree, a likely first-round pick in the 2013 draft and one of the top prospects at inside linebacker, was arrested recently for DUI.

“Last weekend, my client Alec Ogletree was pulled over for speeding and a lane violation in Arizona,” agent Pat Dye, Jr. tells PFT. “After the officers smelled alcohol, they conducted tests and also cited him for DUI. Although Alec regrets this incident terribly, he is thankful that there was no accident and that no one was hurt. Because this matter is still pending, we cannot comment further publicly at this time.”

It’s not the first red flag on Ogletree’s record. During the 2012 college football season, Ogletree was suspended four games by the Bulldogs after a positive drug test.

That incident didn’t seem to affect his draft stock. The next question is whether the latest one will. Either way, it will give scouts and coaches plenty of fodder for questions at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/16/alec-ogletree-charged-with-dui/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -with-dui/</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:

Former Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree, a likely first-round pick in the 2013 draft and one of the top prospects at inside linebacker, was arrested recently for DUI.

“Last weekend, my client Alec Ogletree was pulled over for speeding and a lane violation in Arizona,” agent Pat Dye, Jr. tells PFT. “After the officers smelled alcohol, they conducted tests and also cited him for DUI. Although Alec regrets this incident terribly, he is thankful that there was no accident and that no one was hurt. Because this matter is still pending, we cannot comment further publicly at this time.”

It’s not the first red flag on Ogletree’s record. During the 2012 college football season, Ogletree was suspended four games by the Bulldogs after a positive drug test.

That incident didn’t seem to affect his draft stock. The next question is whether the latest one will. Either way, it will give scouts and coaches plenty of fodder for questions at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/16/alec-ogletree-charged-with-dui/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -with-dui/</a>

7ozTU_zpsafd0b788.gif

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:

My goodness, how stupid can this guy be? Is it that fucking hard to stay sober when there are millions of dollars at stake?! C'mon, man!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Memento said:
My goodness, how stupid can this guy be? Is it that freaking hard to stay sober when there are millions of dollars at stake?! C'mon, man!

No kidding.

Whatever he did the night of this DUI; it was an expensive night.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't care that he got a DUI. I got a DUI once, and a lot of my job was predicated on driving from job to job fixing elevators. I had just as much to lose as he did, though not nearly as much financially. Because of that, I'm not really willing to call him anything derogatory. Glass houses and all. I just hope he's smart enough to never ever ever ever ever do that again. If he repeats that mistake (one I never did), then yeah. He's an idiot whose idiocy extends beyond the pale.

Simba

Rookie
... Just problems of youth.Than pass ... But, do you think we are going to draft an LB?Isn't there a LB FA talking with us in this moment?Do we need a ready player or not for this position? (some rumors about this, not official news, with the rules it's not possible in this moment, I known it).Jo-Lonn Dunbar and Laurinaitis need a good teammate in that sector!I would like if we choose Zeke Motta from NDU for the safety position.I known that he isn't ready for NFL, but he is so aggressive, maybe with a good training by our coaching staff ... and is Tim Walton an aggressive coach?Fisher said we need more defensive turnovers, so it's means we are looking for defensive players with aggressive attitudes?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Simba said:
... Just problems of youth.Than pass ... But, do you think we are going to draft an LB?Isn't there a LB FA talking with us in this moment?Do we need a ready player or not for this position? (some rumors about this, not official news, with the rules it's not possible in this moment, I known it).Jo-Lonn Dunbar and Laurinaitis need a good teammate in that sector!I would like if we choose Zeke Motta from NDU for the safety position.I known that he isn't ready for NFL, but he is so aggressive, maybe with a good training by our coaching staff ... and is Tim Walton an aggressive coach?Fisher said we need more defensive turnovers, so it's means we are looking for defensive players with aggressive attitudes?
It's possible we'll draft a OLB. It wouldn't be this guy, though. He's a ILB ideally suited for a 3-4 defense. I'm not aware of us having any discussions with any particular free agent LB at the moment either, unless you've heard something I haven't.

Yes, we're looking for defensive players with aggressive attitudes. Hopefully all defensive players are aggressive though. That's kinda why they play defense, no? lol. At any rate, all of the defensive coaches are fairly aggressive, and that's what they're looking for out of their players.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
I don't care that he got a DUI. I got a DUI once, and a lot of my job was predicated on driving from job to job fixing elevators. I had just as much to lose as he did, though not nearly as much financially. Because of that, I'm not really willing to call him anything derogatory. Glass houses and all. I just hope he's smart enough to never ever ever ever ever do that again. If he repeats that mistake (one I never did), then yeah. He's an idiot whose idiocy extends beyond the pale.

I get the glass house comment. I mean, how many of us have gone to dinner and probably drank enough to be over the legal limit without drinking to be hammered?

At the same time... this situation is different. He's 60 days away from the most important day of his professional life. All that he's trained for. All the work he's put into this moment... 60 days away.

He's already asking for a mulligan for behaviour issues... so... 60 days to be at your BEST knowing that the slightest slip will cost you millions.

To me; this is not hard to figure out.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
LB Draft Prospect Ogeltree Arrested For DUI

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8956303/report-alec-ogletree-former-georgia-bulldogs-linebacker-arrested-dui" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/ ... rested-dui</a>

Alec Ogletree, the former Georgia linebacker and a likely first-round pick in April's NFL draft, was arrested earlier this month for DUI, his agent told Profootballtalk.com.

"Last weekend, my client Alec Ogletree was pulled over for speeding and a lane violation in Arizona," agent Pat Dye told the website. "After the officers smelled alcohol, they conducted tests and also cited him for DUI. Although Alec regrets this incident terribly, he is thankful that there was no accident and that no one was hurt. Because this matter is still pending, we cannot comment further publicly at this time."

Ogletree declared for the draft immediately after the Bulldogs beat Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl in January. After totaling a team-high 13 tackles, three tackles for a loss, a sack and forcing a fumble that he also recovered against the Cornhuskers, the junior finished the season with 111 tackles and 11.5 tackles for a loss in just 10 games.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has Ogletree getting taken with the No. 8 overall pick in his latest mock draft, calling the 6-foot-3, 237-pounder "a great pursuit player and a guy who will shoot gaps and make stops in the backfield." Fellow ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay has Ogletree going with the 19th pick in his latest mock draft.

The DUI arrest, though, could alter teams' thinking, especially since this is not the first time Ogletree has had trouble off the field.

Ogletree, who played safety as a freshman before shifting to linebacker as a sophomore, missed Georgia's first four games this past season after failing drug tests during spring practice.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I don't know how this makes some people feel. Obviously adds to his character concerns (especially because he had a suspension at Georgia previously). But this also may drop him into the 2nd round which would be great value for us.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Re: LB Draft Prospect Ogeltree Arrested For DUI

Well that'll cost him millions of dollars

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Re: LB Draft Prospect Ogeltree Arrested For DUI

brokeu91 said:
Well that'll cost him millions of dollars

Mind boggling isn't it?

Clearly not using his head.

2013 NFL Draft: Lerentee McCray - LB - Florida

Potential LB prospect for the Rams in the 2013 NFL Draft?

Lerentee McCray - LB - Florida

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xyl7B5beqc[/youtube]

AJ Young

UDFA
Re Ogletree from Down at the One:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.downattheone.com/NFL/NFL-Scouting-Combine-coverage-SEC-East-Preview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.downattheone.com/NFL/NFL-Sco ... st-Preview</a>

When Ogletree makes his trip to Indianapolis this week, it won't be to show scouts that he has the physical tools to perform at the next level; it'll be to endure a myriad of interviews with teams concerned about a string of off-field incidents that could jeopardise his draft status. He was suspended before he even played a game at Georgia after being arrested and charged with theft. This resulted in a suspension for the season opener but was later suspended four games during last season after he failed drug tests. Finally, this past weekend he was arrested and charged with DUI after speeding in the early hours. Really? You're on the cusp of the biggest job interview of your life and you're caught driving under the influence? I don’t even know where to begin.

In terms of Ogletree's on-field production, he initially started in Athens as a safety before moving to linebacker. He possesses phenomenal speed for his size, having the ability to cover sideline to sideline in a flash. Overall, he's likely an outside linebacker at the next level, most probably better suited to the 3-4. He's a bit raw for an inside linebacker as he sometimes struggles to diagnose the play and can sometimes be undisciplined in his assignments. By contrast, his freakish athleticism and top end speed would be better utilised coming off the edge as a pass rusher. If Ogletree's draft stock survives the red flags, he's likely a top fifteen talent; unfortunately it's becoming harder and harder to justify such a high pick for a somewhat volatile player off the field.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tavon Austin, Satellite Player

Evan Silva
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42574/321/tavon-austin-satellite-player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... ite-player</a>

[wrapimg=left]http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/NFL/CLG/CFB_Austin_300.jpg[/wrapimg]West Virginia slotback Tavon Austin first caught my attention during the 2011 college season. Most memorably, I watched him light up LSU's dominant defense for 187 receiving yards and Clemson for 163 yards from scrimmage in the Orange Bowl. Austin could have entered the draft following that season, but he stayed for his senior year and turned in another prolific campaign.

Austin looked awesome on television. But I wanted to examine his game more closely ahead of the 2013 draft. What makes Austin great? Will his playing style translate to the next level?

I selected four of Austin's games to re-watch, charting each of his touches. One of the games was West Virginia versus Oklahoma, essentially Austin's audition to be an NFL running back. Austin handled 21 carries, shredding the Sooners for 344 yards (16.4 YPC) and two touchdowns. The stats are meaningless to me, though. I'm more concerned with Austin's traits as a football player.

Tavon Austin is a satellite player. He undresses defenders in space, utilizing outstanding vision to set up opponents before breaking them down. Austin starts, stops, and restarts on a dime. His change-of-direction ability is special and will remain so in the pros. Among NFL skill-position players, only Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, C.J. Spiller, and perhaps Jamaal Charles can match Austin's combination of foot quickness and short-area explosion. He's like a lankier, more naturally elusive Darren Sproles.

All of those traits were evident in each game I viewed. But the Oklahoma game gives college-to-pro evaluators something else to consider. Listed at a diminutive 5-foot-9 and 174 pounds, Austin ran between the tackles and fell forward to finish runs. As a slot receiver, he repeatedly executed strong downfield run blocks. Austin displayed a toughness not often associated with players who butter their bread by getting out in space. He was a legitimate workhorse against the Sooners, handling 33 combined special teams and offensive touches en route to 121 yards after contact. Austin is not necessarily a physical, after-contact-yardage player. But he is willing to mix it up and work for yards. He can run through arm tackles. Because he played so many snaps at running back, West Virginia-Oklahoma was a consummate display of Austin's toughness, vision, and absurd foot quickness in high-traffic situations behind and around the line of scrimmage.

Austin was also an efficient pass catcher. I charted 29 targets and charged him with a single drop. Austin secured 24. Three contested receptions stood out. The first came against Kansas on an underthrow from quarterback Geno Smith. Running a fly pattern from the right slot, Austin adeptly stopped his route and came back to make a leaping catch with two Jayhawk defenders in the vicinity, for a gain of 32. On fourth-and-six versus Texas, Austin again successfully leaped for an 11-yard reception with a defender draped all over him. Against Oklahoma, Austin ran a go route out of the right slot and created just enough space over the top of Sooners corner Gabe Lynn for Smith to complete a tight-window throw over Austin's shoulder, gaining 41 yards. The majority of Austin's other catches came on high-percentage screens, quick-outs, running back flat routes, and "push passes," where Smith quickly tossed to a motioning Austin coming on an end-around.

A few plays made me curious about Austin's long speed. In a dead-heat downfield sprint, Austin couldn't separate from Kansas cornerback Tyler Patmon. In a 2011 game versus LSU, Austin got pushed out of bounds from behind by allegedly speed-deficient Tyrann Mathieu after a race down the right sideline. Austin had trouble getting open versus Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro, and he only narrowly outran Iowa State safety Jacques Washington on a 75-yard score. I think Austin's forty time might register a tick slower than most expect. But I don't think it makes a big difference.

All told in the four 2012 games, I charted 86 of Austin's touches, including penalty-negated plays. He forced a whopping 59 missed tackles, doing it from myriad alignments. Austin returned punts and kicks. He played left slot and right slot, and both carried the football and ran pass patterns as a traditional tailback. Sending Austin in motion -- either to distract the defense or simply put the ball in Austin's hands with a running start -- was an integral part of coach Dana Holgorsen's offense. Austin is a jack of all trades. More importantly, he seems to have mastered all of them.

Tavon Austin is an explosive, dynamic big-play threat with versatility creative NFL offensive coordinators will covet. I expect him to be a movable-chess-piece weapon in an offense at the next level. Austin brings field position-altering return value to the table, as well.

2013 NFL Draft: Chris Faulk - OT - LSU

Potential OT prospect for the Rams in the 2013 NFL Draft?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS3i80dASgM[/youtube]